Rework coming June 28th!

Vinny.7260

A rework is coming next month!   

261 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the biggest candidate for a rework?

• Warrior
    • Guardian
    • Revenant
    • Engineer
    • Thief
    • Ranger
    • Mesmer
    • Necromancer
    • Elementalist

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/27/2022 at 04:00 AM

4 hours ago, ZDragon.3046 said:

hmmmmm that thats a matter of your opinion which is fine to have. However, a class not having 2 sets of everything does not make it unfinished. I could think of a lot of things classes do not have that they could have but that does not make them unfinished just because I think they should have them. The whole idea that something is unfinished is even technically a matter of perspective. I agree rev has its own set of issues but so does every other class in the game its not exactly unique in the idea that its the only one with strange bugs or not enough viable weapon options at a base core level. 

The statement is 'two power and two condi mainhand weapons'. In the context, I assume 2H weapons count as mainhand.

If you allow for hybrid weapons, every profession with weaponswapping has that except rev and guardian. Guardian gets most of its condition damage from utilities and justice procs, so any guardian weapon which involves lots of little attacks is essentially a hybrid weapon (with sword and scepter being preferred). Rev...has three purely power weapons and mace.

The choice is often a little awkward - for warrior it's sword and longbow, thief and ranger weapons are mostly hybrids, mesmers and necromancers lack melee condition weapons on core - but it's there. Not for revenant, though.

And it's pretty blatantly something that came about because of its development history, just like it only having spear as an underwater weapon until sometime after PoF released. When the weapons were designed, it didn't need a second condi weapon, because it couldn't swap anyway. Now that it does, condi revs should have something to swap to. Every other condi build in the game can have two weapons to swap between if they choose, and if they choose to double up on a weapon or take a defensive or mobility weapon instead, that's their choice. Revenant, uniquely among professions that are supposed to weaponswap, doesn't have that choice. You either have mace on both sets (and on core rev, the alternative offhand is also power-based) or you're swapping to a weapon with no condi damage apart from maybe the odd Abyssal Chill proc.

Mind you, there are ways they can adjust this without necessarily introducing a new weapon. For instance, with how much they've nerfed the spike potential of hammer, they could add some condition damage to make it a hybrid weapon without making it a spiking monster again.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The statement is 'two power and two condi mainhand weapons'. In the context, I assume 2H weapons count as mainhand.

If you allow for hybrid weapons, every profession with weaponswapping has that except rev and guardian. Guardian gets most of its condition damage from utilities and justice procs, so any guardian weapon which involves lots of little attacks is essentially a hybrid weapon (with sword and scepter being preferred). Rev...has three purely power weapons and mace.

The choice is often a little awkward - for warrior it's sword and longbow, thief and ranger weapons are mostly hybrids, mesmers and necromancers lack melee condition weapons on core - but it's there. Not for revenant, though.

And it's pretty blatantly something that came about because of its development history, just like it only having spear as an underwater weapon until sometime after PoF released. When the weapons were designed, it didn't need a second condi weapon, because it couldn't swap anyway. Now that it does, condi revs should have something to swap to. Every other condi build in the game can have two weapons to swap between if they choose, and if they choose to double up on a weapon or take a defensive or mobility weapon instead, that's their choice. Revenant, uniquely among professions that are supposed to weaponswap, doesn't have that choice. You either have mace on both sets (and on core rev, the alternative offhand is also power-based) or you're swapping to a weapon with no condi damage apart from maybe the odd Abyssal Chill proc.

Mind you, there are ways they can adjust this without necessarily introducing a new weapon. For instance, with how much they've nerfed the spike potential of hammer, they could add some condition damage to make it a hybrid weapon without making it a spiking monster again.

Technically speaking some of those 2 handers i wouldnt count as a condi weapon necro staff beine one off the top of my head cause its the class i play the most. the auto has no condi tied to it and the only other condi skills on the weapon are the 2 and 3 if as most people call it the utility weapon with good reason. 

Now that being said i do agree that perhaps the underwater spear being designed the way it was could have been nice for all the rev weapons but then you have to wonder if rev would have ended up with even less weapon options overall had it been done like that from the start. Its something to certainly consider that the weapons could be redesigned to work with all legends but that kinda breaks the idea of certain weapons being tied to specific legends.

How does one explain sword proficiency which is clearly tied to shiro but not using shiro at all because you want to play condi so neither of your legends is shrio but clearly shrio is the sword user revs channel... (confusing i know) I mean we can kidna ignore and be loose with the lore for player sake but it is something that pops up into my mind. Anet does think some reasoning through with designing their classes and elite specs perhaps the idea that works on the underwater spear got rejected on the land weapons for a similar reasoning to what im thinking.

7 minutes ago, ZDragon.3046 said:

Technically speaking some of those 2 handers i wouldnt count as a condi weapon necro staff beine one off the top of my head cause its the class i play the most. the auto has no condi tied to it and the only other condi skills on the weapon are the 2 and 3 if as most people call it the utility weapon with good reason. 

Now that being said i do agree that perhaps the underwater spear being designed the way it was could have been nice for all the rev weapons but then you have to wonder if rev would have ended up with even less weapon options overall had it been done like that from the start. Its something to certainly consider that the weapons could be redesigned to work with all legends but that kinda breaks the idea of certain weapons being tied to specific legends.

How does one explain sword proficiency which is clearly tied to shiro but not using shiro at all because you want to play condi so neither of your legends is shrio but clearly shrio is the sword user revs channel... (confusing i know) I mean we can kidna ignore and be loose with the lore for player sake but it is something that pops up into my mind. Anet does think some reasoning through with designing their classes and elite specs perhaps the idea that works on the underwater spear got rejected on the land weapons for a similar reasoning to what im thinking.

I already thought about what you said but there is a huge problem because if the weapons are available without the elite specs, if a weapon is too strong with a certain special other than the basic one it will be nerfed without mercy

3 minutes ago, Angesombre.4630 said:

I already thought about what you said but there is a huge problem because if the weapons are available without the elite specs, if a weapon is too strong with a certain special other than the basic one it will be nerfed without mercy

Well i was thinking base weapons not ones tied to elite specs.

Only 1 thing matters and that's mobility on banners and spirits. If those could persist similarly to gyros (or facets) with their own unique mechanics, you could work it out from there. 

But since this is a pve stack-in-front-of-the-boss game, then who cares if these skills become functional in competetive amirite. 

Lets nerf tactics since warrior is overperforming with bladesworn sustain ig and buff tactical reload to grant 2 ammo charges instead since people love it! /s

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Only 1 thing matters and that's mobility on banners and spirits. If those could persist similarly to gyros (or facets) with their own unique mechanics, you could work it out from there. 

But since this is a pve stack-in-front-of-the-boss game, then who cares if these skills become functional in competetive amirite. 

Lets nerf tactics since warrior is overperforming with bladesworn sustain ig and buff tactical reload to grant 2 ammo charges instead since people love it! /s

hmmmm banners working similar to facets could actually be cool both mechanically and visually if anet did it right. Though facets require energy and banners are kinda just there and you cant drain warrior's resource for boon or it makes the whole class clunky to play. hmmmmmm

2 hours ago, ZDragon.3046 said:

hmmmm banners working similar to facets could actually be cool both mechanically and visually if anet did it right. Though facets require energy and banners are kinda just there and you cant drain warrior's resource for boon or it makes the whole class clunky to play. hmmmmmm

One possible approach could be to make the banners destructible, but like other minions, they take reduced damage from AoE in PvE unless that attack was directly targeted at them.

Or they could go back to being bundles rather than something that's planted, so the warrior activates the skill that grants quickness. (Which would also reduce the pressure to load multiple banners on one warrior, allowing more opportunity to use other warrior utilities.)

On 6/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, ZDragon.3046 said:

hmmmmm that thats a matter of your opinion which is fine to have. However, a class not having 2 sets of everything does not make it unfinished. I could think of a lot of things classes do not have that they could have but that does not make them unfinished just because I think they should have them. The whole idea that something is unfinished is even technically a matter of perspective. I agree rev has its own set of issues but so does every other class in the game its not exactly unique in the idea that its the only one with strange bugs or not enough viable weapon options at a base core level. 

The way it would work (like facet-ish) would be the Banners get summoned with a cast time (so can be interrupted) and last for fixed durations with flipover skills for effects that then put them on CD. Whether or not the flipovers have a cast time themselves would depend on what they do. Honestly if they just become simple boon pulsers then something like this where they gain flipovers for extra effects (things like mass AoE Burn, AoE weakness, AoE barrier, Big AoE heal)  would be needed to compete with other supports:

Things like this:

Strength: Pulse 5 stacks of might for 3s every second. Active: apply 6 stacks of burning for 5s in an area, 5 targets max.
Discipline: Pulse 3s of Fury every second and 3s of swiftness. Active: Apply weakness for 5s in an area, 5 targets max.
Defense: Pulse Protection and Resolution for 3s each every second. Active Grant 3k barrier to allies in the area, cleanse 3 conditions from allies in the area, and break stuns for allies in the area. 5 allies max (self prioritized of course)
Tactics: Pulse regen for 3s to allies in the area every second. Active Heal allies for 5k in the area. (This really belongs in the heal slot after the rework)
Battle Standard: Pulse 2 stacks of stability for 1s, resistance for 1s, and vigor for 1s every 2 seconds. Active: would be the current summon effect with appropriate cast time. 180s CD, 2s cast time.

Except for the elite all CDs would be 20s, all summoned durations would be 20s, cast times are all 1s for summons. 

Trait would decrease CDs by 20%, add 1s of quickness to each pulse (but non stacking), and grant 5s of quickness with 5 might stacks for 5s upon using the flipover skills.

There is a lot that Anet can do to make them worthwhile support skills, and mimicking Facets is probably the best way to do that, both for banners and spirits and putting cast times on both the summons and flipover skills would be how to balance them relative to the fact that facets have upkeeps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm gonna laugh/cry when we get to the end of June when the only changes are that they're just cast once and pulses boons or cast to place then a flip over skill to do boons, removing all their previous effects (talking banners and spirits). Everything else will just be bug fixes. Because "that's enough changes for one profession for a balance patch." And they'll completely forget that these changes will destroy the professions because high end content they rely on these unique buffs to stay competitive (mainly talking warrior here since I don't know ranger well enough).

• Sad 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:31 AM, ZDragon.3046 said:

I said 'condi or hybrid'. Necro staff is in the hybrid category. Sure, the AA doesn't do conditions, but skills 2 and 3 do on a short recharge, and if you take Terror, that's more condition damage.

The core rev weapons except mace/axe have no inherent condition damage at all. With Abyssal Chill and base condi duration, sword can maintain about 1.2 stacks of Torment, hammer 0.75, and staff... still a big fat zero.

Necromancer staff, on the other hand, manages just under four stacks of bleeding and an average of one stack of poison (actually two stacks with ~50% uptime), and that's before we even consider traits or possible condition transfer on skill 4.

I've likely overestimated the uptime a little, but it'd be about the same for all so the comparison isn't likely to drastically change.

Staff is so much better as a condition weapon than any alternative to mace on core rev that thinking that it counters my point, technically or otherwise, just shows how bad the situation is. Consider that my proposed solution was to put a bit of bleeding on Coalescence of Ruin. To put this in context, if we gave CoR two stacks of bleeding with 8s duration, then if you combine with Abyssal Chill than revenant hammer would just match what necro staff does baseline with no traits or transfers.

I used necro staff as an example (and a couple of others with a similar "problem"), because I'd be fine if any core revenant weapon apart from mace/axe even had that much. But they don't. Which would be fine if revenant wasn't expected to weaponswap in the first place. But it is.

And this is why revenant's weapon sets feel unfinished - because there should be a second weapon that at least contributes to condition damage output, but what it has instead are three weapons that are pure power apart from a minor synergy with a feat (and in practice, you don't bring Abyssal Chill just to give you a stack of Torment when using sword).

(Regarding weapons being tied to legends, I think the logic there might be that the weapon skills represent smaller manifestations of the legend's power, or even skills the revenant can learn to use themselves that are inspired by the legend. Most of the supernatural aspects of weapon skills do, after all, have common threads of opening portals to the Mists, travelling through the Mists, and rending the ground with Mists energy, things that aren't necessarily associated with the legend directly, but which a Mists magic user might learn to do for themselves when developing a fighting style inspired by the legend. The stance skills are much more closely linked to the legend.)

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:48 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The way it would work (like facet-ish) would be the Banners get summoned with a cast time (so can be interrupted) and last for fixed durations with flipover skills for effects that then put them on CD. Whether or not the flipovers have a cast time themselves would depend on what they do. Honestly if they just become simple boon pulsers then something like this where they gain flipovers for extra effects (things like mass AoE Burn, AoE weakness, AoE barrier, Big AoE heal)  would be needed to compete with other supports:

Things like this:

Strength: Pulse 5 stacks of might for 3s every second. Active: apply 6 stacks of burning for 5s in an area, 5 targets max.
Discipline: Pulse 3s of Fury every second and 3s of swiftness. Active: Apply weakness for 5s in an area, 5 targets max.
Defense: Pulse Protection and Resolution for 3s each every second. Active Grant 3k barrier to allies in the area, cleanse 3 conditions from allies in the area, and break stuns for allies in the area. 5 allies max (self prioritized of course)
Tactics: Pulse regen for 3s to allies in the area every second. Active Heal allies for 5k in the area. (This really belongs in the heal slot after the rework)
Battle Standard: Pulse 2 stacks of stability for 1s, resistance for 1s, and vigor for 1s every 2 seconds. Active: would be the current summon effect with appropriate cast time. 180s CD, 2s cast time.

Except for the elite all CDs would be 20s, all summoned durations would be 20s, cast times are all 1s for summons. 

Trait would decrease CDs by 20%, add 1s of quickness to each pulse (but non stacking), and grant 5s of quickness with 5 might stacks for 5s upon using the flipover skills.

There is a lot that Anet can do to make them worthwhile support skills, and mimicking Facets is probably the best way to do that, both for banners and spirits and putting cast times on both the summons and flipover skills would be how to balance them relative to the fact that facets have upkeeps.

Can I pray they do this and give a boon to each shout so we can finally mix/match a shout or two with banners nad be genuine supports?

Will I be abe to roll a Banner of Strength and FGJ and finaly play some competetive Phalanx Strength mightshare in the frontlines?

Can we get Mending Might to apply barrier to allies when granting them might? 

Oh my god, copium and hopium are rushing in!

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Sad 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, Vinny.7260 said:

What do you think is up for changes?

Everyone BUT Guardians and Necromancers. Since communication has been silent AGAIN in not even giving us anymore sneak peaks to what they're working on, I'm going to safely assume that this profession update took them a good several months and should see a LONGGGG patch note list with a bunch of changes alongside the Warriors Banners and Rangers Spirits.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

Everyone BUT Guardians and Necromancers. Since communication has been silent AGAIN in not even giving us anymore sneak peaks to what they're working on, I'm going to safely assume that this profession update took them a good several months and should see a LONGGGG patch note list with a bunch of changes alongside the Warriors Banners and Rangers Spirits.

I've been through a few of these LONGGGG waits before, only to see warhorn targets increased to 10 or reduced to 5. xD

edit: oh oh.. and they nerfed damage coefficients across the board effectively making the already low coefficient barely viable warrior weapons nonviable. good job. ^~^

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I said 'condi or hybrid'. Necro staff is in the hybrid category. Sure, the AA doesn't do conditions, but skills 2 and 3 do on a short recharge, and if you take Terror, that's more condition damage.

The core rev weapons except mace/axe have no inherent condition damage at all. With Abyssal Chill and base condi duration, sword can maintain about 1.2 stacks of Torment, hammer 0.75, and staff... still a big fat zero.

Necromancer staff, on the other hand, manages just under four stacks of bleeding and an average of one stack of poison (actually two stacks with ~50% uptime), and that's before we even consider traits or possible condition transfer on skill 4.

I've likely overestimated the uptime a little, but it'd be about the same for all so the comparison isn't likely to drastically change.

Staff is so much better as a condition weapon than any alternative to mace on core rev that thinking that it counters my point, technically or otherwise, just shows how bad the situation is. Consider that my proposed solution was to put a bit of bleeding on Coalescence of Ruin. To put this in context, if we gave CoR two stacks of bleeding with 8s duration, then if you combine with Abyssal Chill than revenant hammer would just match what necro staff does baseline with no traits or transfers.

HUH???? I dont mean to be rude or anything.

However, i promise you necro staff is not better as a condition weapon in comparison to a revs mace. Every single skill you have on the mace including the auto chain applies conditions which is far stronger than the 23 and even 5 combined on necro staff.  I refuse to agree with you on this statement period there is no comparison to how night and day one weapon is directly based on condis while the other is a hybrid / utility (ill agree that it can be a hybrid weapon) but its not so much so that its going to come close to competing with core rev mace in terms of condi application. 

Even if we gave hammer that buff it wouldnt be considered a condi weapon you wouldnt main hand it as a condi weapon just like you dont main hand a staff as a condi weapon on any build. Staff has and always will be a back bar utility weapon. 

I used necro staff as an example (and a couple of others with a similar "problem"), because I'd be fine if any core revenant weapon apart from mace/axe even had that much. But they don't. Which would be fine if revenant wasn't expected to weaponswap in the first place. But it is.

And this is why revenant's weapon sets feel unfinished - because there should be a second weapon that at least contributes to condition damage output, but what it has instead are three weapons that are pure power apart from a minor synergy with a feat (and in practice, you don't bring Abyssal Chill just to give you a stack of Torment when using sword).

(Regarding weapons being tied to legends, I think the logic there might be that the weapon skills represent smaller manifestations of the legend's power, or even skills the revenant can learn to use themselves that are inspired by the legend. Most of the supernatural aspects of weapon skills do, after all, have common threads of opening portals to the Mists, travelling through the Mists, and rending the ground with Mists energy, things that aren't necessarily associated with the legend directly, but which a Mists magic user might learn to do for themselves when developing a fighting style inspired by the legend. The stance skills are much more closely linked to the legend.)

Idk I think i remember them picking specific weapons based on the each legend you were channeling which is why Ventari ended up with the staff, shrio, with swords, and jails with hammer. Both the weapon skills and utility skills are tied to the legend that being said that its probably not impossible for someone to only reference the fighting style and apply other things to it. I just dont think thats how anet ideally built it out. Otherwise we might see the sword skills getting different effects based on the legends. Again i dont think having 2 full condi sets is a means to say something is unfinished especially if its going to be in comparison to something like necro staff which you would ideally never willing swap to or even bother to use on any kind of real condi set up. If anything you would mostly swap to it in pve for the fear and condi xfer or to get lf from the autos. Its not something you fight with the idea of spamming 2 and 3 off cd for condi dps. in pvp there is a bit more of a argument for that but even then if you are on a condi setup your main weapons are still going to be scepter, dagger or scepter warhorn. Similarly on ref its axe / mace and staff on the back bar or if you are brave enough shortbow but thats going outside of the core weapon skills. 

long story short i dont agree with your first point much at all. 
I kind of understand your thoughts on the second point. 

Edited by ZDragon.3046
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

I've been through a few of these LONGGGG waits before, only to see warhorn targets increased to 10 or reduced to 5. xD

edit: oh oh.. and they nerfed damage coefficients across the board effectively making the already low coefficient barely viable warrior weapons nonviable. good job. ^~^

On your edit, are you talking about Feb2020 or some leak about June 28??

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ZDragon.3046 said:

HUH???? I dont mean to be rude or anything.

However, i promise you necro staff is not better as a condition weapon in comparison to a revs mace. Every single skill you have on the mace including the auto chain applies conditions which is far stronger than the 23 and even 5 combined on necro staff.  I refuse to agree with you on this statement period there is no comparison to how night and day one weapon is directly based on condis while the other is a hybrid / utility (ill agree that it can be a hybrid weapon) but its not so much so that its going to come close to competing with core rev mace in terms of condi application. 

Even if we gave hammer that buff it wouldnt be considered a condi weapon you wouldnt main hand it as a condi weapon just like you dont main hand a staff as a condi weapon on any build. Staff has and always will be a back bar utility weapon. 

Are you even reading what I'm writing?

I'm not comparing necrostaffstaff to revmace. Revmace is a pure condi weapon, which dishes out lots of condi damage but has low power coefficients. Necrostaff is what we call a hybrid: it has less conditions than a full condition weapon, but also has decent power coefficients, so it works reasonably well in either kind of build (or in builds that have a bit of both, like celestial or viper's).

So if you're playing a core condition necromancer, your primary DPS weapon is sceptre. That has the condition-oriented autoattack, 2 and 3 skills that enhance it, and can be combined with a dagger offhand for some more condis. Staff then makes for a decent swap - you probably don't want to camp it, to be sure, but you can swap to it for an extra CC or a condi transfer, keep the condis up with skills 2 and 3, and then swap back with minimal time autoattacking.

Now, take that for a core condition revenant (or elite specialisation that doesn't have a condi or hybrid weapon). Your primary DPS weapon is mace, and you combine it with axe. What's on your weaponswap? Sword is pure power apart from a trait. Staff is pure power regardless. Hammer is also pure power apart from a trait, which also effectively means that non-renegade condi revs have no ranged option at all. You can swap to mace with a different offhand, but then you're losing out on some of the versatility that weaponswap is supposed to provide, and what's your option anyway? OH sword is basically a pure power version of axe, herald shield is purely defensive.

And that's the core problem revs that aren't renegades have had since release. You've got mace/axe, and it's a good condi set, but you have nothing to swap to, not even a "utility" weapon with a few condis. What happens in practice is that condi revs who don't want to be pushed into renegade either grit their teeth and accept that mace is all they've got, or they go with something that's effectively purely defensive since sword, staff, and hammer do pretty much no damage on condi builds.

That's the distinction. Every other profession that has a weaponswap has a suitable second set to swap to, whether they're using power stats, condi stacks, or a bit of both. Revenant, unless they're using renegade, doesn't.

Which was fine in the early betas, when revenant was going to be a no-weaponswap profession, and didn't need to have something to swap to. But when they gave it weaponswap, they didn't adjust the weapons to match. It had spear as its only underwater weapon for years. And it still lacks a second set to swap to on land that has any inherent condition damage at all. That's why it feels unfinished in a way that other professions don't.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hope I won't be more disappointed by the balancing than I already am because I think it's stupid to improve for nerfing drastically afterwards, especially since sometimes it's worse than what was originally before the improvements.

Edited by Angesombre.4630
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nyel.1843 said:

I don't know how ArenaNet is approaching this thing, but why do we basically no nothing about what's to come two weeks ahead? Is this their normal way of doing this kind of stuff?

It different with every patch. 

Sometimes you get a date months before, like now.

Sometimes you get a preview out of the blue 1 or 2 weeks before.

Sometimes you see a big list on a random tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think the damage of traps are high is not really an issue by itself, what I think it’s weird is that Dragonhunter can lay traps quickly or instantly and they can also be triggered quickly or instantly. This behavior doesn’t sound like traps to me, and they’re often more used as melee skills.

Not that I would enjoy slow setting up and actually use traps in an action based game though. I would say the idea of traps shouldn’t really exist in the first place.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, godfat.2604 said:

I think the damage of traps are high is not really an issue by itself, what I think it’s weird is that Dragonhunter can lay traps quickly or instantly and they can also be triggered quickly or instantly. This behavior doesn’t sound like traps to me, and they’re often more used as melee skills.

Not that I would enjoy slow setting up and actually use traps in an action based game though. I would say the idea of traps shouldn’t really exist in the first place.

Ironically, that's pretty much what thief "preparations" became. Having traps take a few seconds to arm, even if they still drop quickly, might give them a bit more counterplay. See the trapper bend down to the ground, avoid that area (or get ready to mitigate that damage).