remove squads from wvw

Corabelle.3254

7 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

You can tell people didn't play in the early vanilla days when squad interfaces didn't exist. People still blobbed.

Yes:

1 hour ago, Svarty.8019 said:

Squads should definitely be smaller, if nothing else.

One of the weird side-effects of making such a (comparatively) convenient UI is that it's too easy to form gigantic dominating forces.

They’ve been gigantic since before the squad function began. It’s why BG was called ‘blob gate’ for years.  

make it smaller, and there would just be two squads in the same discord following the same commander they would now.

Make it 5 or party size, and there would be 10 parities of 5 following one person, either with a tag, or a target over their head.  

*as a slight addendum:  even if we were to restrict the boons to only those people in your party, it may keep some of the boon balling down, but it wouldn’t change the size of the opponents,  And, as we ALL know how good Anet is at splitting the modes, it would also create havoc to their cash cow, I mean PvE. *

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to be in a squad to follow the commander tag around.

If you remove it you just get individual parties instead of subgroups in the squad, so it changes little.

I think the only change this would force would boons/heals would go to pugs more often if you fail to maintain a perfect stack. Oh and the commander wont get a supply count. I suppose this nerfs hidden tags a little but we used to just put the target mark over the allied commander anyway when you wanted to run hidden before hiding tag was an option. 

Hear me out.

Meteor Shower now deals 20k damage per hit, lasts for 1 minute, and cover a 2000 area radius, all this is scaled based on the size of your squad/group, the more people on it, the more these get's reduced.

Decapitate and Arc Divider now give evade frames from the entire duration, heals the Warrior for 100% of the damage,, and Arc Divider now has a fixed 600 radius on all hits, same scalling mechanis as the above.

BAMM, blobs get countered, Ele and Warrior mains are happy, WvW is finally fixed, and all is well with the world again xD

• Confused 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

make it smaller, and there would just be two squads in the same discord following the same commander they would now.

Make it 5 or party size, and there would be 10 parities of 5 following one person, either with a tag, or a target over their head.  

I get that, but I think smaller squads would promote splitting the forces, which is what we all want to see for the health of the mode.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

I get that, but I think smaller squads would promote splitting the forces, which is what we all want to see for the health of the mode.

I understand that thought, and if I thought it would actually lead to that, I would agree.

Currently, there are some groups that already split up when they get a little too big.  One con will lead one group and a second will lead the other and work in concert.  But it only leads to more problems for the enemy.  It may be a group of 40, and one of 20, but 60 fighting 50 is still a wash.  Especially if those two groups (sidecar) know what they are doing.  

It would only punish those servers who can’t field more than one pug tag or guild group at a time.  And honestly, those servers aren’t the real problem.

People splitting up.... lol. 

People have been literally zerging everything in this game, when it's possible. If you think that removing squads would affect this in any way, you don't really understand what a squad really does, and probably believe in other silly things,. like alliances are around the corner.

Heck, even "clouding" is often done with by adding more people.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

Yeah, removing squads won´t change anything, since players have been zerging/blobbing since release, independently of squads existing (or not existing). 
Back then, we used group targets on the leader, now we have commander tags doing that. 
The only advantage squads give over this, is the better tools to organize (subgroups for boon-distribution, Leutenants and the commander to place marks, and an overview of supplies in the squad). 

It will only make it worse for those that want organized gameplay (even on the most minimal amount of organization possible) and won´t change anything. People will find other ways to blob if they want (like the previously mentioned group-target at the "commander")

idk if videos of this exist, but i saw (or read? been some time) blobfights in the very early state of gw2 wvw xD before bigger squad even existed

it was like, everyone was in a huge voicecall or sth alike + in a second one with their party members. so it just was harder to coordinate but the sole groups probably been even way more effective bc u always mainly focus on each other

like newbie support players get lost all the time during pushes and let their dps die, or rookie dps getting panic - would maybe be less disruption if they saw their supports more clearly (and rookies probs dont run optimal settings like field of view, simple condi float numbers, simple nameplates, standard models, thick party health bars)

3 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

idk if videos of this exist, but i saw (or read? been some time) blobfights in the very early state of gw2 wvw xD before bigger squad even existed

it was like, everyone was in a huge voicecall or sth alike + in a second one with their party members. so it just was harder to coordinate but the sole groups probably been even way more effective bc u always mainly focus on each other

like newbie support players get lost all the time during pushes and let their dps die, or rookie dps getting panic - would maybe be less disruption if they saw their supports more clearly (and rookies probs dont run optimal settings like field of view, simple condi float numbers, simple nameplates, standard models, thick party health bars)

For open tags the commander would use their commander tag, people would join comms like teamspeak, then form parties usually with people they know or people would message in say chat something like "guardian lfg" to then be invited into a party.

A benefit of this was that you would have some strong parties where all of the party members have played together before an know what they're doing instead of veterans supports supporting DPS who are not doing much and veteran DPS being supported by new supports due to the parties being created by the commander or Lt based on class.

Also back then you didn't usually die unless you made a mistake so with this and the above, the core of the group was much more important and when fighting something like a guild raid it would usually end up as a battle between the core of the zerg and the guild.

Guild raids didn't use the commander tag but just used the target market.

Tldr - commanders existed, people joined teamspeak, parties were created usually of players who normally played with eachother, if you needed a party you would type it in say chat.