[Feedback] Extremely Frustrating Events

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If the content is designed and balanced around players who are new to the game playing boosted level 80's that they dont really know what they are doing with, then the content ceases to have any value as soon as you develop even a hint of understanding of character and game.

Did you try asking for help in map chat? You dont have to group up or organize. All participants in a fight get credit even if not in a party.

I've done a few Champions on my own without any help and they were a good challenge, but the champions for which I am talking and the area for which I am talking are way too hard to handle on my own. I was doing just fine with the Champion of the Centaurs, until his Elite mobs respawned and killed me. I was killing him and had just 10-15% to go. One of the reasons why I wrote the entire OP. I am not a noobish player, I've been playing GW2 for a while now I know that some content is hard and challenging and another is not that hard. I am providing valid feedback for something that happened. I would appreciate if you weren't assuming that I am a noob or anything among those lines.

7 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

I like how the open world described as OP wants it basically is gw1, all instanced

Basically you paid to loose boosting, and arent prepared.
The chill, brainless part of the game is leveling but it'll also teach you a few basics over time to survive in all sorts of scenarios.

Is that really ethical or respectful? I don't find it so. Levelling is easy, I do get that. We are talking about Champions here and since I am still leveling my masteries it is normal for the content to not be fully solo-able, however, I expect as a boosted player with exotic gear to be able to handle most of the challenges. I have the Tempest which is done 1/3 it shouldn't be that hard. Plus, a booster 80 player gets an Exotic gear with their boost. ANet is fully aware of the gear we get when we are boosted to 80. I haven't played GW1, so I cannot comment on that part. Doing content that is for levels 35-40 shouldn't be that hard.

5 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Event scaling is a thing in GW2, so the question is, "Solo-able for whom?"  I have seen players solo champions both in person (a friend playing) and on You Tube.  I'd guess that the op means "solo-able for him/her."  Without context (i.e., builds and skill), though, it is not possible for either us or ANet to know just how much champions would have to be nerfed.

It is also difficult to evaluate whether such a change would be good for the game.  I can assure you that "solo-able for anyone" would have at least some negative repercussions for the game.  It could end up pleasing far fewer people than it displeases.

I do agree that I didn't clarify what kind of build I have. I am levelling my masteries. Elite specialization the Tempest is 1/3 done. And I am using the build that this YT has shown:

https://youtu.be/D3wbdS9ACt0?t=1547

The only thing I don't have from the above is the gear since he is using ascended gear and I am not using Berserker stats saw that a bit too late. I also have only 1/3 of the Tempest build, in other words, I've reached the Gathered Focus talent.

1 hour ago, BluePickle.9253 said:

"high end exotic gear"

That gave me a good chuckle

Did I say something funny? If you are going to provide feedback at least clarify what this feedback is about. You get exotic gear when you are boosted to level 80. I thought that this is clear enough. You are not left with your own gear when you are boosted to 80.

Edited by The Ghost.3087
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Your son? Man, you're more dedicated than normal players.

And Balthazar isn't too hard, just... If he raises his sword, GTFO the floor.

Never mind that, I usually just ninja in with Ash Legion Spy Kits and stealth commune. There's fire on the ground but it has no effect. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost.3087 said:

I've done a few Champions on my own without any help and they were a good challenge, but the champions for which I am talking and the area for which I am talking are way too hard to handle on my own. I was doing just fine with the Champion of the Centaurs, until his Elite mobs respawned and killed me. I was killing him and had just 10-15% to go. One of the reasons why I wrote the entire OP. I am not a noobish player, I've been playing GW2 for a while now I know that some content is hard and challenging and another is not that hard. I am providing valid feedback for something that happened. I would appreciate if you weren't assuming that I am a noob or anything among those lines.

Is that really ethical or respectful? I don't find it so. Levelling is easy, I do get that. We are talking about Champions here and since I am still leveling my masteries it is normal for the content to not be fully solo-able, however, I expect as a boosted player with exotic gear to be able to handle most of the challenges. I have the Tempest which is done 1/3 it shouldn't be that hard. Plus, a booster 80 player gets an Exotic gear with their boost. ANet is fully aware of the gear we get when we are boosted to 80. I haven't played GW1, so I cannot comment on that part. Doing content that is for levels 35-40 shouldn't be that hard.

I do agree that I didn't clarify what kind of build I have. I am levelling my masteries. Elite specialization the Tempest is 1/3 done. And I am using the build that this YT has shown:

https://youtu.be/D3wbdS9ACt0?t=1547

The only thing I don't have from the above is the gear since he is using ascended gear and I am not using Berserker stats saw that a bit too late. I also have only 1/3 of the Tempest build, in other words, I've reached the Gathered Focus talent.

Did I say something funny? If you are going to provide feedback at least clarify what this feedback is about. You get exotic gear when you are boosted to level 80. I thought that this is clear enough. You are not left with your own gear when you are boosted to 80.

To be fair you can buy full zerker exotic armour and a wep or two for like 3g total if you buy the named exotics. That's less than two days of dailies.

• Sad 1

Just now, Emberfoot.6847 said:

To be fair you can buy full zerker exotic armour and a wep or two for like 3g total if you buy the named exotics. That's less than two days of dailies.

Okay another question then, what would be the best Exotic Gear for level 80 Tempest in this case? So he can handle solo contents like Champions?

• Haha 1

I use full zerker but then I have been playing for years so I know when to dodge most things. If you are new then yea, you may want one of the more expensive sets like marauders, or maybe mix in a little knights with the zerk or something. 

Edited by Emberfoot.6847
  • Sad 1

I assume you mean HoT as in Heart of Thorns (the bigger area is called Heart of Maguuma). The expansion areas were designed group content in mind, so even some Hero Points can be hard to solo. In this regard PoF areas are much more solo friendly. Still, most champion mobs are meant to be killed with a group, so if you get frustrated easily I would do them with more players.

However there are builds that can solo most open world content in the game: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:Open_World_Solo_builds
There's also Condi Tempest build in the list.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1

I really don't mean to make you angrier than you already are, but this is something that will get fixed with experience, you say you've had some time playing, okay, whatever, but you have to fail at some point to learn what you are doing wrong.

As others have stated, a group event, for obvious reasons is meant to be taken down as a group of people.

Assuming you've been playing for a while, Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns maps test your mastery of your class. Truth be told Elementalist is one of the hardest classes to master because you're working with a low HP pool combined with low armor, full Cele gear alone will leave you with roughly 20K HP if you're using wooden potatoes build, thus it's a strong start. 

You might also be messing up your dodges, wasting them without having to, or you positioned yourself badly. Maybe you don't know how the enemy works, maybe you aren't using any damage mitigation or using your boons. But if you fail a soloable event, that's actually a skill issue and not an issue with the game.

Edited by Aridon.8362
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Aridon.8362 said:

I really don't mean to make you angrier than you already are, but this is something that will get fixed with experience, you say you've had some time playing, okay, whatever, but you have to fail at some point to learn what you are doing wrong.

As others have stated, a group event, for obvious reasons is meant to be taken down as a group of people.

Assuming you've been playing for a while, Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns maps test your mastery of your class. Truth be told Elementalist is one of the hardest classes to master because you're working with a low HP pool combined with low armor, full Cele gear alone will leave you with roughly 20K HP if you're using wooden potatoes build, thus it's a strong start. 

However, I am not talking about Group Content here. I am fully aware that I cannot solo group content, it is impossible for me. I've seen a lot of Group Content that specifically says so in the event's name. 

• Sad 1

Just now, The Ghost.3087 said:

I am fully aware that I cannot solo group content, it is impossible for me. I've seen a lot of Group Content that specifically says so in the event's name. 

Yes that is a skill issue then, you shouldn't at all be failing solo events. I'm sorry but you just need more time spent understanding your elementalist and its limitations.  Again this is one of the hardest classes to master, but it really comes down to understanding your class as well as the enemy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Forget melee, just get a max range ranged weapons your class can have (1200 most likely) and hope your snail crawl walk is fast enough.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:02 PM, The Ghost.3087 said:

And here I thought games were supposed to be relaxing and entertaining.

Also, this hasn't been true in years with the ever more egregious obsession with one upping the latest "difficult" game.

or you know...bring CC, get a decent build and just kill it normally.

This game is still as relaxing as always 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

...And then enjoy as max level people zoom in and murder everything on their mounts, so you'll be lucky if you get to participate. Then you'll be sad you can't solo all group events. Forget melee, just get a max range ranged weapons your class can have (1200 most likely) and hope your snail crawl walk is fast enough.

You do realize if you have PoF you can go get the mount pretty much as soon as you start playing right? Its the first quest and it come with a boost so just boost a throw away alt to 80, do the first quest, unlock the raptor and boom its there for all your characters.

Then just go back to your leveling toon and enjoy having the mount. This is what I did when I started playing and it made leveling so much better.

Seriously you can get a mount faster in this game than in any other MMO I have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, The Ghost.3087 said:

Okay another question then, what would be the best Exotic Gear for level 80 Tempest in this case? So he can handle solo contents like Champions?

Dude you picked the hardest, squashest class and you don't even have a fully unlocked elite spec and you are wondering why yoh are getting killed by elites? 

Seriously there is a reason pretty much every new player guide opens with some form of "Don't make an elementalist". I'm not saying to reroll but I am saying you learning to drive by getting into rush hour traffic. It can be done but there are going to be some ugly wrecks along the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Having 1/3rd of a build might be part of your issue. If you're following a guide, someone has worked out synergies across traits, and if you are still missing a bunch of them, you're not getting those interactions that make the build work.

There are guides out there for "core builds" to use until you have your first elite spec fully unlocked.

If you check LFG, you can sometimes find HP trains through HoT. You'll typically need your raptor for these, though, and might want to avoid any that advertise themselves as particularly fast, since it's easy to get left behind on those.

Or you can take a bit of a longer route through all three expansions and get all of the "commune" HPs so you don't have to fight at all.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

I assume you mean HoT as in Heart of Thorns (the bigger area is called Heart of Maguuma). The expansion areas were designed group content in mind, so even some Hero Points can be hard to solo. In this regard PoF areas are much more solo friendly. Still, most champion mobs are meant to be killed with a group, so if you get frustrated easily I would do them with more players.

However there are builds that can solo most open world content in the game: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:Open_World_Solo_builds
There's also Condi Tempest build in the list.

This is now resolved, thanks to a user posting a survival build. It seems that my build was wrong. I am dealing with Champions on my own now. Thank god! :D 

Edited by The Ghost.3087
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:02 AM, The Ghost.3087 said:

Like freeing a camp, killing champions content should be solo-able

This is not true, I solo group content every time with my thief and MOST of the time is a victory on my part, specially with champions as you can cc and learn their pattern to survive and kill. Maybe is the type of build you are using and/or class? 

Edited by Zauriel Mooncat.4968

8 minutes ago, The Ghost.3087 said:

This is now resolved, thanks to a user posting a survival build. It seems that my build was wrong. I am dealing with Champions on my own now. Thank god! 😄

Just to expand on that a bit...

Things you are missing

- Auras you grant also grant regeneration and vigor.
- Overloads grant protection. Protection gains increased damage reduction.
- Heal allies you grant an aura to. Grant frost aura to nearby allies when struck while below the health threshold.

That is a lot of missing defenses.

- Fewer dodges from having lower vigor uptime

- Missing around 50% or more of your sustained healing from regen and aura

- Taking 66% more damage from the missing protection

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 9:11 PM, CodyG.6975 said:

Please share your build? 

If you look at wooden potatoes' builds you should be able to solo these events for sure! 

I am using the survival build that was shared with me above:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:Open_World_Solo_builds

However, the only change on my side is that I use Lesser Elemental Summons instead of Signet of Fire. It is simply better and it adds more damage to me and I do have most of the time 3 elementals constantly with me that do a lot of damage and take damage for me. It works great with the Fire Element selected. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:16 AM, JayHog.3280 said:

Two other people I was with to kill the mushroom Queen under Rata Novus says otherwise. We failed twice, only beat it once we got our fourth guy.

That's what most means mate, not all.  My wife and I can two man all but two of the hero points in HoT. That would qualify as most.

• Confused 2

I feel you. I can and have soloed some events I'm probably not meant to be able to with the right spec, but it's slow and high intensity at the same time, which is just tiring. This game does a decent job of getting people to show up places again, so content doesn't become abandoned, but it doesn't cover everything and it's to the point where it seems virtually impossible for their efforts to cover everything because there's just too much content and not enough time to do it in.

An example that's especially sad to me is I got most of the funerary armor achievements done and then found that with Maws of Torment, basically nobody was doing it anymore, as far as I could tell and I just shelved working on it for now, if I'll ever finish it. It's also the kind of event where it'd be virtually impossible to solo it because of how it's designed... I tried to do it with like one other person who was there once and I got one portal done, but I can't be in three places at once.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2