What profession should i play in WvW?

Serperior.6541

Hello! As the title suggests im looking for a profession in World versus World, i have some experience in wvw which is usually doing dailies while getting erased from face of the earth several times, so you can  say not much but after seeing gen 3 legendaries require stuff from WvW i thought i should finally invest in this game mode which i would do inevitably anyways but i wasn't sure which profession should i play. So i thought i should ask here. basically looking for something that dosen't get deleted is tanky enough and can work both in Zergs and Roaming

Edited by Serperior.6541

First off, what class do you enjoy playing?  We could give you the usual song and dance about only playing the meta classes, but it's best you play something you want to play in order to enjoy wvw, especially if you're just doing it for the gift of battle.... Any class/spec can run tanky, just a matter of gear stats, especially if you're going full condition or celestial stats.

• Like 1

Plenty of things i guess but i suppose i can say enjoy professions that are fast, i played a lot of willbender, thief and mesmer in spvp but i don't know which one works in wvw esspecially in zergs well i know guardian is good in zerging because anet's blue child can't be bad at something but still not sure, also yeah doing it for gift of battle but may stay if i like playing

Edited by Serperior.6541

29 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

First off, what class do you enjoy playing?  We could give you the usual song and dance about only playing the meta classes, but it's best you play something you want to play in order to enjoy wvw, especially if you're just doing it for the gift of battle.... Any class/spec can run tanky, just a matter of gear stats, especially if you're going full condition or celestial stats.

That's especially true considering one thing that keeps a lot of people playing WvW is vibing with a build that makes their characters animations and combinations almost tactile for the player. I'd play other stuff but I would definitely put all of my best-in-slot and a lot of thought on my main that I can play as fluidly as a piano. 

If you land on something OP, think about adjusting your keybind layout as you play for a better fit. Having character mechanics and animations along with a natural feeling keybind laout that tugs at your sensibilities makes running around WvW feel like riding the waves.

Might also want to think about how integral to a group or squad composition you want to have the potential to be OP, that will narrow down some. Not everyone gets a seat on the squad bus but some professions or builds are strapped into it and you might get some burn out. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Serperior.6541 said:

Plenty of things i guess but i suppose i can say enjoy professions that are fast, i played a lot of willbender, thief and mesmer in spvp but i don't know which one works in wvw esspecially in zergs well i know guardian is good in zerging because anet's blue child can't be bad at something but still not sure, also yeah doing it for gift of battle but may stay if i like playing

Firebrand, Dragonhunter, Chronomancer, Virtuoso kinda, all work for zergs.

Willbenders are mostly roamers, they're like the new thieves without stealth, plenty of movement and defense tools to use.

Thieves are mainly roamers and not needed in zergs due to lack of aoes or important utilies/support needed for zergs. That's not to say you can't, I ran an interrupt deadeye a year ago and had fun messing with zergs, unblockable daze with interrupt sigils, don't mind if I do.

I'm usually on chrono these days either wall pulling/grav bombing or for small group fights, or core for pure roam.

Mirage works too but I can't get use to one dodge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Firebrand, Dragonhunter, Chronomancer, Virtuoso kinda, all work for zergs.

Willbenders are mostly roamers, they're like the new thieves without stealth, plenty of movement and defense tools to use.

Thieves are mainly roamers and not needed in zergs due to lack of aoes or important utilies/support needed for zergs. That's not to say you can't, I ran an interrupt deadeye a year ago and had fun messing with zergs, unblockable daze with interrupt sigils, don't mind if I do.

I'm usually on chrono these days either wall pulling/grav bombing or for small group fights, or core for pure roam.

Mirage works too but I can't get use to one dodge.

i see i'll look into those professions mostly chrono and virtuoso got my interest thank you for the answers!

11 hours ago, Serperior.6541 said:

Hello! As the title suggests im looking for a profession in World versus World, i have some experience in wvw which is usually doing dailies while getting erased from face of the earth several times, so you can  say not much but after seeing gen 3 legendaries require stuff from WvW i thought i should finally invest in this game mode which i would do inevitably anyways but i wasn't sure which profession is the should i play. So i thought i should ask here. basically looking for something that dosen't get deleted is tanky enough and can work both in Zergs and Roaming

To be honest, what job role are you looking for and what style do you find fun? Do you alt? The key in WvW, is whatever you choose to do first make sure what time you spend has value to you. Be that in fun, helping others, goal orientated or whatever. What are you looking to get out of it? Run most classes and elites and they all have their own roles depending on styles and roles so most of everything is viable but you need to understand the role/goal of the toon and play towards that. Are you looking to heal, roam, group, take, defend, support, buff, build, gank? Are looking to solo. duo, group, havoc, warband, zerg? The beauty of WvW is there are a lot of options open for your gameplay. Known your build and where that build works and doesn't in the different types of play.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Serperior.6541 said:

Hello! As the title suggests im looking for a profession in World versus World, i have some experience in wvw which is usually doing dailies while getting erased from face of the earth several times, so you can  say not much but after seeing gen 3 legendaries require stuff from WvW i thought i should finally invest in this game mode which i would do inevitably anyways but i wasn't sure which profession is the should i play. So i thought i should ask here. basically looking for something that dosen't get deleted is tanky enough and can work both in Zergs and Roaming

People here will try to tell you that you have options. You don't. Get your ranger out. It's the only class that's easy enough for new/crap players. When you have friends and/or experience, you can try other classes, but Ranger is the go-to class for beginners. Also, expect a lot of Ranger-hate in-game. Just ignore that. 

Having said that, keep an open mind when a commander tags up. At that point you can play one of the zerg meta classes instead (necro, guardian, engi, rev, mez, ele).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

To be honest, what job role are you looking for and what style do you find fun? Do you alt? The key in WvW, is whatever you choose to do first make sure what time you spend has value to you. Be that in fun, helping others, goal orientated or whatever. What are you looking to get out of it? Run most classes and elites and they all have their own roles depending on styles and roles so most of everything is viable but you need to understand the role/goal of the toon and play towards that. Are you looking to heal, roam, group, take, defend, support, buff, build, gank? Are looking to solo. duo, group, havoc, warband, zerg? The beauty of WvW is there are a lot of options open for your gameplay. Known your build and where that build works and doesn't in the different types of play.

thats a lot of stuff that i can't answer. lets keep it simple with dps and roamer that can also work in zergs i said i would look into chrono and virtuoso yesterday but both seemed too squisy and therefore way above my skill level so i thought about Dh/Willbender and i'll probably go with it because looks good enough for me

27 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

Get your ranger out. It's the only class that's easy enough for new/crap players. When you have friends and/or experience, you can try other classes, but Ranger is the go-to class for beginners. Also, expect a lot of Ranger-hate in-game. Just ignore that. 

unless you want to play in medium-/large scale (in other words, any group of roughly 20 or more players). There´s a reason why ranger and thief get a lot of hate, and this hate does usually come from groups of said size. 

And often this isn´t just "hate" for the sake of hating these classes, it´s just because they are objectively bad in these specific types of play, and can, if used wrong, be very harmful for your own team. 

Every class has its strengths in different types of play, and some have weaknesses in other parts of the game. Ranger does fall into the category of having strengths in roaming, but for group play that exceeds 20 players or more, they heavily fall off into uselessness, or even being harmful for your allies ( because of mostly projectile-based attacks, that can easily get reflected against you and your allies). And there´s TONS of reflect or projectile-block in the game, mostly coming from Firebrands and scrappers, which are a core-part of every squad)

In general, the roaming-part of WvW (solo, or in small groups) is a bit more flexible considering classes, since pretty much every class has at least 2-3 viable builds for roaming. 

Edited by Custodio.6134

1 hour ago, Serperior.6541 said:

lets keep it simple with dps and roamer that can also work in zergs

I don't think that exists. The zerg builds are either squish dps or tanky support. If you were to play support, I think you could combine roaming and zerg support in 1 heal scrapper build (and have a decent time doing both).

Zerg meta is engi/guard support, rev/necro dps (rev might have gotten killed with the latest misguided changes).

Roamer meta... if you want power and you are new probably only ranger at this point. You can maybe play wb too, dunno (I don't think wb has good run-away potential, at least not in the usual situation of being chased by 5 ppl). You can also play power holo or grenade scrapper (easier than holo), maybe that works too for you. If you want to sweat... thief and war let you run away (with thief being the harder one to play). Power herald is strong, can't run and is hard to play; seems to be obsoleted by wb (at least for as long as wb is not nerfed).

For condi, cele harb, cele tempest/weaver, cele boonbeast, cele mirage/virtuoso, I dunno how cele scrapper is right now but probably playable, cele spectre, cele fb, cele renegade. Metabattle should have builds available. I dunno which one is easiest, probably cele boonbeast or cele renegade. Maybe also cele mirage.

If you are new I suggest you go with the cele options. They have sustain for days and dmg is not bad. The studio doesn't seem to be interested in balancing them, so probably you will be able to stick to a build that doesn't get nerfed out of the meta. Cele builds also translate well to open world and you get free cele gear with the lvl 80 boost.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Custodio.6134 said:

unless you want to play in medium-/large scale (in other words, any group of roughly 20 or more players). There´s a reason why ranger and thief get a lot of hate, and this hate does usually come from groups of said size. 

And often this isn´t just "hate" for the sake of hating these classes, it´s just because they are objectively bad in these specific types of play, and can, if used wrong, be very harmful for your own team. 

Every class has its strengths in different types of play, and some have weaknesses in other parts of the game. Ranger does fall into the category of having strengths in roaming, but for group play that exceeds 20 players or more, they heavily fall off into uselessness, or even being harmful for your allies ( because of mostly projectile-based attacks, that can easily get reflected against you and your allies). And there´s TONS of reflect or projectile-block in the game, mostly coming from Firebrands and scrappers, which are a core-part of every squad)

It's not true that ranger and thief are "objectively bad in these specific types of play". You say for ranger that it's because of mostly projectile-based attacks but this is more along the lines of why they are not accepted. 99% of the people on these classes are not adjusting their builds to be more suitable to a larger scale and these are generally more difficult to understand and play. Most thief's I see are using a shortbow or shadowstep which means they will never match other classes but I know that daredevil can be a crazy strong DPS. If a ranger has a bow then they are also not designed for that scale, a GS/axe+axe soulbeast with immobs and damage is and can have a significant impact on taking out a chunk of the enemies.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Littlekenny.4196 said:

You say for ranger that it's because of mostly projectile-based attacks

no, although projectile is a part of it. I specifically mentioned projectiles in the context of skills, that 

being harmful for your allies ( because of mostly projectile-based attacks, that can easily get reflected against you and your allies).

since it is ONE factor. It´s not the only factor, i never said that. 

The biggest issue with thief and ranger is the lack of synergy in WvW. This doesn´t mean that they don´t have anything to provide, but rather that they don´t provide the important effects with value in WvW. Group setups in WvW work completely different compared to any type of PvE, the easiest factor to see that is, that we don´t need permanent might, alacrity and quickness (which would be a basic setup in pve). 

The synergy is what makes comps (and certain classes) strong (such as Firebrand for important boons like stability and resistance, necros due to damage spike and corrupt, or revenant because of permanent swiftness, fury and accessibility of stability). 

Ranger and thief don´t provide these either not good enough to outclass anything, or don´t provide it at all. Projectiles are just another main issue here

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I don't think that exists. The zerg builds are either squish dps or tanky support. If you were to play support, I think you could combine roaming and zerg support in 1 heal scrapper build (and have a decent time doing both).

Zerg meta is engi/guard support, rev/necro dps (rev might have gotten killed with the latest misguided changes).

Roamer meta... if you want power and you are new probably only ranger at this point. You can maybe play wb too, dunno (I don't think wb has good run-away potential, at least not in the usual situation of being chased by 5 ppl). You can also play power holo or grenade scrapper (easier than holo), maybe that works too for you. If you want to sweat... thief and war let you run away (with thief being the harder one to play). Power herald is strong, can't run and is hard to play; seems to be obsoleted by wb (at least for as long as wb is not nerfed).

For condi, cele harb, cele tempest/weaver, cele boonbeast, cele mirage/virtuoso, I dunno how cele scrapper is right now but probably playable, cele spectre, cele fb, cele renegade. Metabattle should have builds available. I dunno which one is easiest, probably cele boonbeast or cele renegade. Maybe also cele mirage.

If you are new I suggest you go with the cele options. They have sustain for days and dmg is not bad. The studio doesn't seem to be interested in balancing them, so probably you will be able to stick to a build that doesn't get nerfed out of the meta. Cele builds also translate well to open world and you get free cele gear with the lvl 80 boost.

Actually bought marauder gear and both tried wb and dh in roaming it seemed to mostly stick with me Because i was able to kill some people while pressing random buttons i dunno if other proffessions you mentioned is on that level on wvw but will try

Also will not be touching any zerg fight for a while, i know all i have to do is stick to commander and do what he does but without being in voice chat i can't properly follow him and one wrong move usually gets me killed so i'll stick to being solo/small group i guess

Edited by Serperior.6541

5 hours ago, Serperior.6541 said:

thats a lot of stuff that i can't answer. lets keep it simple with dps and roamer that can also work in zergs i said i would look into chrono and virtuoso yesterday but both seemed too squisy and therefore way above my skill level so i thought about Dh/Willbender and i'll probably go with it because looks good enough for me

Two that come to mind that transition between roamer and group/havoc/zerg play are Engineer:Scrapper elite and Warrior:Beserker elite. They can also be fairly tanky but they also can stand their own in 1v1s as well.

Not sure what tools you might be using outside of game but if you like to theory craft with numbers prior to setting up the builds in game you might want to check into gw2skills.net. The build editor there allows you to see how the numbers will play out before in all 3 modes, PvE, sPvP & WvW.

A separate side note that you have already seen if you are using sPvP as test ground is they are close but definitely not the same. Sadly they have locked down so much in sPvP its not as good a test bed for builds as it was years ago when all stat combos were available. I won't go into is that good or bad but to me, it doesn't allow for testing like it used to. 

As others joked above Rangers and their various elites do roam well as well but are not looked for in zerg play as much. But a havoc of Ranger Soulbeasts that are sharing stances can create some great synergy and be quite deadly to larger groups if they can maintain their distances between their target while being tight enough to their group to share boosts cleanses and heals. 

5 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

no, although projectile is a part of it. I specifically mentioned projectiles in the context of skills, that 

since it is ONE factor. It´s not the only factor, i never said that. 

The biggest issue with thief and ranger is the lack of synergy in WvW. This doesn´t mean that they don´t have anything to provide, but rather that they don´t provide the important effects with value in WvW. Group setups in WvW work completely different compared to any type of PvE, the easiest factor to see that is, that we don´t need permanent might, alacrity and quickness (which would be a basic setup in pve). 

The synergy is what makes comps (and certain classes) strong (such as Firebrand for important boons like stability and resistance, necros due to damage spike and corrupt, or revenant because of permanent swiftness, fury and accessibility of stability). 

Ranger and thief don´t provide these either not good enough to outclass anything, or don´t provide it at all. Projectiles are just another main issue here

I know nothing about a PvE setup, all I know is WvW setups.

Firebrand and scrapper are essential also some people try to replace scrapper with tempest which I'm against. Scourge is present for corruption spikes, medium AoE damage spikes, and good single target spikes with the ability to also provide some barrier. Rev provides the ranged spike with perma fury and some might while also having stab roads, great dwarf, f2 party wide damage reduction and reasonable melee damage. There is 1 more slot in a party which could have a chronomancer for strips, pulls and cc, spellbreaker for strips and cc, or an exotic DPS.

The class in the exotic DPS slot does not need to provide boons ect to the party but can instead make use of the boons to provide the highest damage and the most downs. Usually this is taken by a DH with some range damage but mostly it's traps, symbol of punishment and sword of justice which allows it to drop damage in an area while moving or using invuln and still putting out damage. Other classes can fit in this slot too such as a berserker for its heavy melee spike with GS and offhand axe or if you want to pump damage numbers in arc then a long bow, both capable of beating a DH but harder to play. A daredevil can also be taken in this slot as a pure melee and beats out all other classes in its ability to create downs(AoE not single target). A soulbeast can also be used here with good damage from GS and axe 5 but most importantly it's ability to leap ahead and catch enemies with an immobilise.

Those last 3 exotic DPS are less commonly played, harder to play, and the majority of people will play different builds in different ways and make them look bad so it's a risk for a commander to accept one.

33 minutes ago, Littlekenny.4196 said:

A daredevil can also be taken in this slot as a pure melee and beats out all other classes in its ability to create downs(AoE not single target).

unless you factor in that scrapper also has very decent DPS-options too, which also provides utility to the squad. You can even decide to go Flamethrower (with moloch-trait) or Bomb-Kit (without moloch-trait) combined with shredder-gyro and probably cleanse-gyro (but other options like Elixir U exist) and you have a class, that not only does good damage, but actually has utility for the squad (with some additional cleanses if you need, stealth from bomb-kit and potentially sneak-gyro), ranged-CC with Hammer, superspeed and even some situational skills as options if you need to. 
And you don´t even need to know much about scrapper too, since it is extremely easy to play. 

(unless you don´t know how to dodge properly...... then you gonna have a bad time). 

Also, if you have Gear for heal-scrapper, you are  potentially flexible enough to adapt on what your squad needs without relogging. So i can promise you, any commander will take a DPS-scrapper over any other off-meta class (thief or ranger in general, berserker, harbinger, whatever has not been mentioned as recommended before)

On 5/23/2022 at 3:10 PM, Serperior.6541 said:

Hello! As the title suggests im looking for a profession in World versus World, i have some experience in wvw which is usually doing dailies while getting erased from face of the earth several times, so you can  say not much but after seeing gen 3 legendaries require stuff from WvW i thought i should finally invest in this game mode which i would do inevitably anyways but i wasn't sure which profession should i play. So i thought i should ask here. basically looking for something that dosen't get deleted is tanky enough and can work both in Zergs and Roaming

If you don't mind me asking, if concerned, don't answer but what server are you on? You might be able to add some peeps based on this discussion for pickup groups and hunting.

I'd go with guardian and do willbender for roaming imo. For zergs, firebrands for healing are always valued. Just stick to tag and do ya thing.

TBH I think going with a tag is easier than roaming to start off with, with a little dabbling into roaming. Don't get to dis heartened with being 'deleted'. The fighting is very different to spvp and what classses work. I often go with a strong spec in wvw and get owned in sPvP. We have all taken our own fair share of deletions, lol. I promise you though, stick with it and it will get better. In WvW the environment is your friend!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 12:15 PM, Serperior.6541 said:

Honestly tried getting into it mulltiple times in spvp but just can't do it, i look like someone randomly swinging a big sword in hopes of one of them actually landing

I personally hate great sword warrior with a passion. If you are fine with the adrenaline mechanic you should try condi. just fyi. It's not necro but you should actually be able to 1v1

I almost won a 1v2 vs a guard and a bladesworn and I'm probably the worst player in spvp

Edited by Infinity.2876

Guardian, Engi, and Necromancer are universally accepted as long as you have the proper specializations (firebrand, scrapper, scourge), and are all extremely easy to play but you can use other specs outside of zergs.

Then comes Warrior and Rev, but those are a little harder to get in.

Ele and Mesmer can be anywhere too, but you have to know what you're doing.

Ranger is also very strong, but hard to get into a group. But it's the easiest solo.

Thief is similar but even harder to get into a group.

If you have friends that will play with you none of this matters

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

20 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Guardian, Engi, and Necromancer are universally accepted as long as you have the proper specializations (firebrand, scrapper, scourge), and are all extremely easy to play but you can use other specs outside of zergs.

Then comes Warrior and Rev, but those are a little harder to get in.

Ele and Mesmer can be anywhere too, but you have to know what you're doing.

Ranger is also very strong, but hard to get into a group. But it's the easiest solo.

Thief is similar but even harder to get into a group.

If you have friends that will play with you none of this matters

Where are you having issues with Rev?