RIP original Mai Trin voice in Mai Trin fractal

"This is what your curiosity gets you."

Iconic voice line was replaced with much less energic version as the Mai voice actor is now different. Let's take a moment of silence for the old version. No matter how trivial this is, I always enjoyed the start of fight with such well voiced and energic dialogue between Mai and Horrik, and now it just feels so boring and empty. Sad day 😞

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Yeah, I like the new voice actor in EoD, the more subdued performance suits the character at that stage in their life.

But here the difference is like "HORRIK! Unleash the cannons!" versus "Horrik, unleash the cannons."; with a difference in voiceover direction that's like "scream out this order as if your life and mission depend on it while in the heat of battle" replaced with "do Mai Trinn's voice for this line we wrote."

It's kind of disappointing lol.

• Like 18

Even with nostalgia and growing acustomed both affecting my decision, I have to agree: the old delivery was more epic.

"This is what your curiosity gets you." Was always a delight especially with that slighty snarky undertone hinting at us being to nosy.

The Horrik line was delivered in a paniked "deal with this nuiscance" which made absolute sense in a frantic fight.

The new dub is okay, but one has to wonder if it really fits the gravity and tone of the situation. It might fit better with the latest charachter development in EoD, but not the past encounter.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The new dub is okay, but one has to wonder if it really fits the gravity and tone of the situation. It might fit better with the latest charachter development in EoD, but not the past encounter.

Yes, exactly this, just like others pointed out, too. I didn't even notice that Mai had new voice in EoD to be honest, it was well voiced and fitting. But the change to fractal/story voice was imo unnecessary and downgrade to the original version which had that "incoming combat" and "things-getting-serious" energy.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, cryorion.9532 said:

"This is what your curiosity gets you."

Iconic voice line was replaced with much less energic version as the Mai voice actor is now different. Let's take a moment of silence for the old version. No matter how trivial this is, I always enjoyed the start of fight with such well voiced and energic dialogue between Mai and Horrik, and now it just feels so boring and empty. Sad day 😞

Just wanted to throw in my agreement on this one.
Mai Trin's original VA was some of the best done lines in the game. My friends and I used to recite it line by line ala Rocky Horror Picture Show every time we did the fractal while on discord. It was over the top and just plain fun.
I get the reason for the change, in order to provide proper continuity for the character between the encounters in EoD, S1 and the Fractal.
But the changes just removed a bunch of the charm from one of my favorite encounters.

Not a big deal, but just one of my favorite parts of the game that lost a little shine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The worst part is, some lines don't even sound consistent with her EoD performance. "Horrik, unleash the cannons" now sounds like she's on helium, as it's pitched so much higher, which is wholly inconsistent with the deeper tone she has in encounters like the Aetherblade strike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, until I heard her newly recorded lines on this fractal, I literally had no idea she had her VA changed. In EoD she sounded like normal Mai.

I would really love to have it reversed. It's not the same fractal without this juicy HORRIK! UNLEASH YOUR CANNONS!

Please ANet. Please, please, please, change her voice back for this fractal!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

New anet censoring old anet because the old va did not look ethically like mai trin.  I was ok with them changing the VA in the LS rerelease because I consider reLS1 non cannon fan fiction (similar to the special editions of star wars in the 90s), but I wish they left the VA untouched in the fractals. Fractals as suppose to be echo of the pasts so they should have keep the OG VA. Scarlet is going to have Anets noggin for screwing up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

New anet censoring old anet because the old va did not look ethically like mai trin.  I was ok with them changing the VA in the LS rerelease because I consider reLS1 non cannon fan fiction (similar to the special editions of star wars in the 90s), but I wish they left the VA untouched in the fractals. Fractals as suppose to be echo of the pasts so they should have keep the OG VA. Scarlet is going to have Anets noggin for screwing up. 

its alot more complex than that, i think.

they have legal agreements to abide by and using the old voice actor for fractals while using the new voice actor for newer content probably isn't allowed as part of the voice actor's contract with the company, which is made with another company that provides the voice actor to them under that contract. people seem to think that arenanet hires individuals off the street or something and doesn't have to deal with cross-corporate politics for everything.

its a bit different for voice actors they've replaced before (including this specific actor who also voiced rox), because its past content and doesn't exist in multiple versions simultaneously like the story mode alongside the fractal. content that is "frozen" (industry term) usually has special exceptions.

this stuff gets really complicated and players just always jump to tinfoil hat conclusions without knowing anything about the industry.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an auto Mai Trin's voice converter inside my head. Whenever I'm in that moment, the new Mai Trin's voice and dialog would be filtered out and my monolog will replace it with the old voice file. Unintendedly.

Edited by Blueberry.8095