10 years later, Guild Wars 2 still doesn't support hotkey modifiers.

Complaining aside, I want to ask a genuine why? 

I'm clueless in the arts of coding, so surely I assume there must be complications that prevent Anet from adding this feature?

Because it feels very frustrating and needlessly limiting. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Aside from what is mentioned above, you can use Ctrl+Key, Alt+Shift+Key, Ctrl+Shift+Key.

Unless you meant something entirely different.

That famous moment when you try binding alt with the f- keys for a shortcut and reach alt f4

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

I have a somewhat decent system myself.

1-5: Weapon skills.

Shift + 1-5: Ability skills

Shift + Q-T: Profession skills.

Sometimes I mess up because I forget I was holding control to check what enemies were around the map, but decently doable and never have to take your hand off the left side.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Sometimes I mess up because I forget I was holding control to check what enemies were around the map, but decently doable and never have to take your hand off the left side.

Do you mean so you can see yellow names?  If so, you can go to options and set those to always visible, no need to hold down CTRL.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Donari.5237 said:

Do you mean so you can see yellow names?  If so, you can go to options and set those to always visible, no need to hold down CTRL.

Enemies in general. Not just yellow names. I'm used to hold control to see names of stuff when it's not plain obvious what's an enemy.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Enemies in general. Not just yellow names. I'm used to hold control to see names of stuff when it's not plain obvious what's an enemy.

Oh, in that case, Options>General>5th toggle box (Show All Enemy Names)

This will show them in red all the time.  Here, have some scarabs, CTRL is not being held:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/983132318598332467/ShowEnemiesMenu.JPG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/983132318313115748/ShowEnemies.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Donari.5237 said:

Oh, in that case, Options>General>5th toggle box (Show All Enemy Names)

This will show them in red all the time.  Here, have some scarabs, CTRL is not being held:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/983132318598332467/ShowEnemiesMenu.JPG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/983132318313115748/ShowEnemies.JPG

Guess that could be handy, I'll fix that next week once I'm back from vacation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Aside from what is mentioned above, you can use Ctrl+Key, Alt+Shift+Key, Ctrl+Shift+Key.

Really? I've tried earlier and it doesn't work for me. 

How do you do it? With 3rd party software, like mentioned here? https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/t32tx/modifier_key_combinations_with_3rd_party_tool/

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

How do you do it? With 3rd party software, like mentioned here? https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/t32tx/modifier_key_combinations_with_3rd_party_tool/

No, with pressing buttons while changing bindings, how else would you expect it to work? 😄 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

You double-click in a box next to a command in control settings, either in column 1 or column 2, and it brings up a box, and it won't let you hold like Ctrl + Shift + H then click 'Accept'?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

You double-click in a box next to a command in control settings, either in column 1 or column 2, and it brings up a box, and it won't let you hold like Ctrl + Shift + H then click 'Accept'?

Doesn't work for me.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to "fuse" the modifier with a function? I don't know.

Works in WoW, doesn't work here and I'm not sure why.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Double-click on either of the 2 boxes to the right of the action. Then press any key or any key combo. You can set 2 keybinds to any actions if the keybinds are available. You can even use the same keybinds if the actions are for different modes and do not conflict. Example: same keybind to swim down when unmounted and also to go down when mounted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Doesn't work for me.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to "fuse" the modifier with a function? I don't know.

Works in WoW, doesn't work here and I'm not sure why.

How about an example? Rather than words like fuse, modifier and function, what exactly are you trying to bind?

Like: Ctrl + Shift + F1. Something like that. What exactly are you trying to bind, and to what command?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

That is so weird. I can double click in column 2 to get the interface to come up, hold SHIFT and F8 together, then click accept and it takes it. 😕

Have tried every now and then for years now, including today. Doesn't work for me, and the existence of threads such as the one I posted earlier seems to indicate that others face the same issue.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Definitely strange.  See, I just made Shift-F8 my secondary command for weapon skill 1.  Tapped it, my pistol fired.  Tapped 1, my pistol also fired.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/983167494523060234/ComboKeyShiftF8.JPG

Step by step:

Open Options

Click on mouse icon to get to keybinds

Scroll to the thing you want to bind to F8

Double click in the keybind field to the right of that thing (here, I clicked in the blank secondary slot, but could have done so in the first key column to overwrite the 1)

Click in the empty field that comes up (possibly unnecessary, but I do it)

Type the key or combo you want to use (here, Shift+F8)

Hit accept

And that should do it.  You didn't say what you were trying to bind to it, so maaaaybe it's a thing that can't be rebound?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

What do you mean, precisely? I have all kinds of stuff bound to Shift + Thing or Alt + Thing.

7 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Unless you meant something entirely different.

Well you see these modern fangled games actually allow you to set nearly any key to another key these days.. its called progress.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Well you see these modern fangled games actually allow you to set nearly any key to another key these days.. its called progress.

You're talking about, like, pressing Z and X at the same time to do some kind of combined thing?

5 hours ago, notebene.3190 said:

One strange thought. Do you happen to have a keyboard with a “gaming” mode that disables the windows key and other keys while you play?

I don't. I have a standard, 10€ Logitech k120 keyboard. The good ol' reliable.

7 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

And that should do it.

I swear it doesn't work for me. I'll give you my account so you can remap my hotkeys, delete my characters and steal my stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1