The ugly truth about alliance timeline.

jul.7602

11 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Well I mean its a world where your actions directly effect the game world itself, where you can lay siege to entire towns that guilds own and build up defences for, using actual siege warefare.

Somehow I don't think that would mesh with the wvw crowd...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Like, if AoC is successful and is done well, it could be next generation gaming. Maybe that is why it has so much hype around it. The true future of mmo's ect. Something that will essentially replace all current mmo's. 

Said every MMO ever released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Well I mean its a world where your actions directly effect the game world itself, where you can lay siege to entire towns that guilds own and build up defences for, using actual siege warefare. True guild verse guild fashion, where raid bosses are determined by what is done from server to server as they change dramatically depending on what players actions are. Though I wonder if that will play on peoples fear of missing out, as of course, if you left for a year there your server would be extremely different depending on how towns and cities have been developed or if others have come a long to destroy them and re-build them as they see fit. 

Like, if AoC is successful and is done well, it could be next generation gaming. Maybe that is why it has so much hype around it. The true future of mmo's ect. Something that will essentially replace all current mmo's. 

sounds like yet another mythological "WoW Killer" that almost never turns out,

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:42 AM, Ausar.9542 said:

sounds like yet another mythological "WoW Killer" that almost never turns out,

Do people even still play that game? I thought everyone left after Blizzards lawsuits and them failing as a company, especially now with Diablo Immortal and them wanting to ask people to pay 110k Per character and nothing is account bound so if you want a second character that's another 110k. Not the best quote in modern times anymore, WoW's already dead, it killed itself. 

The hope is that AoC is the next mmo killer, not just a dead game killer. The hope is that its UE5 leads to some of the best castle siege battles the world has ever seen. True pvx. 

For GW2, the hope would be to actually see an update to wvw for a change that's not just adjusting rewards to fit a system that doesn't exist. What if by now we could move our place cata's or move rams after they have been built, like there is so many cool idea's they could do with wvw that they have not done to the mode since launch. They could make wvw's pvx epic, they appear to just choose to not do so. 

Edited by Gorem.8104

On 6/9/2022 at 5:20 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

With all due respect... They announced it back in 2018! it is 2022 by now....

meanwhile Guildwars2 players: #Alliancewhen?

Seriously! When they first annouced alliances, i could have started my jobtraining as a programmer, finish it, let Anet hire me and develop it. And even then it should be done by now, if they were actually making it somewhat of a priority.

anyone that actually thinks that developing such a feature takes anything close to 4 years, is delusional. The ammount of time it takes them to implement this, shows how much they neglect this "Cornerstone".

You've been a programmer for a little while, so surely you know how businesses work now....right? They'd hire you and put you on whatever they need, and move you any time they need.  You'd also get no say in the direction or what is being done, you'd just need to develop and that's it.

Been at this a decade myself and can say the reason WvW isn't developed is purely economic / political (office, not actual politics).  Game is very big now, times are very tough now, and to stay afloat they need to concentrate on things that matter--and WvW sadly doesn't.  

Basically think of WvW like SAB, it is a novel concept that could be really cool but doesn't do anything for anyone outside us hardcore that play nightly. 

Not really a changeable fact either since you can't introduce balance through PvP / amulet like changes without mass salt, and PvE players don't even want to be in the mode, and there's nothing about 'git gud' that is going to make them suddenly want to get rolled over and over.  

I mean, WvW is the red-headed step child between PvE and PvP...what did we all really expect? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The truth of the matter is they would not even need changes to the game mode to fix 90% of the problems. Other than class balance which they do patch for and it's neither here or there, the far and away biggest problem for WvW is numbers balance.

To balance the numbers you only need someone with 3 working brain cells to decide on a transfer policy that encourages flows towards less populated servers and discourage or outright prevent stacking and flows towards the same overpopulated servers. This does not require any change, it only requires a monkey to change the cost of the transfers and close/open servers as appropriate. And if they don't have reliable stats on participation to base these decisions on, then this should be driven by actual performance. Servers with the best performance every relink should either be closed or have prohibitively high transfer fees. This will drive towards a workable equilibrium albeit indirectly.

Edited by Karagee.6830

13 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

You've been a programmer for a little while, so surely you know how businesses work now....right? They'd hire you and put you on whatever they need, and move you any time they need.  You'd also get no say in the direction or what is being done, you'd just need to develop and that's it.

Been at this a decade myself and can say the reason WvW isn't developed is purely economic / political (office, not actual politics).  Game is very big now, times are very tough now, and to stay afloat they need to concentrate on things that matter--and WvW sadly doesn't. 

well we are lucky enough to have an opinion from those who know more closely this world, this type of work.

you are probably right, it could be only and exclusively an economic problem. the intelligent people who have to face daily business economic problems do not have to hide, they must look closely at the problems and think of concrete solutions that you can organize and consequently lead you to a solution of the problem.

in our case they could begin to share with their community what the problem is (this game like all mmo is its community) and at that point they could explain to us that the only solution if we want to have a new algorithm, a new mechanic that builds teams, new events, new maps and finally a new truthful ranking for wvw is necessary,   inevitable to think of an expansion that players will have to buy .

let's start telling us and see how your community reacts.

or they might consider some advertising in the game. you can sell your global community europe, america, asia know your flows, they are acchi in front of a screen, they are many, there are every day and for more time a day. it could become a fixed and constant income for your company that helps your fixed costs and gives space to some new project.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

well we are lucky enough to have an opinion from those who know more closely this world, this type of work.

you are probably right, it could be only and exclusively an economic problem. the intelligent people who have to face daily business economic problems do not have to hide, they must look closely at the problems and think of concrete solutions that you can organize and consequently lead you to a solution of the problem.

in our case they could begin to share with their community what the problem is (this game like all mmo is its community) and at that point they could explain to us that the only solution if we want to have a new algorithm, a new mechanic that builds teams, new events, new maps and finally a new truthful ranking for wvw is necessary,   inevitable to think of an expansion that players will have to buy .

let's start telling us and see how your community reacts.

or they might consider some advertising in the game. you can sell your global community europe, america, asia know your flows, they are acchi in front of a screen, they are many, there are every day and for more time a day. it could become a fixed and constant income for your company that helps your fixed costs and gives space to some new project.

I agree, and do wish for more transparency also.  The issue there would probably not exclusively be this forum but places like Reddit making life difficult if things do not go according to plan.  I know this has happened in the past with many things so they sort of receded and stopped communicating publically.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The last interview I saw last year, it was around the first beta, I was quite sure we will not see alliances in a long time if ever. It sounded like a very early idea.

It was actually a shame they announced it, went with betas and now we're back to being a myth. We were already making plans with guilds, recruiting, growing. The hype lasted for a few month. And now its kinda over and done. 

And I am not even sure alliances are the answer to wvw's problems. In a way they might cause as much issues as they solve.

I think more than alliances WvW just needs some upgrades to everything. Upgrading and shaking things up. Some changes and polishing of the maps. New WvW masteries. Rewards. Some kind of recognition  for players and guilds that do well in WvW, that might even make ppt more interesting for veterans. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:35 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

Do people even still play that game? I thought everyone left after Blizzards lawsuits and them failing as a company, especially now with Diablo Immortal and them wanting to ask people to pay 110k Per character and nothing is account bound so if you want a second character that's another 110k. Not the best quote in modern times anymore, WoW's already dead, it killed itself. 

WoW has still over a million daily players, which is not bad for a "dead" game (only Lost Ark and FFXIV surpass that) and a lot of longtime players seems ready to come back if Blizzard delivers what has been advertised for the new xpack (which would solve a lot of the issues players had with the latest xpacks).
I would not dismiss it too early, there is still a strong player base there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zepoolpe.9217 said:

WoW has still over a million daily players, which is not bad for a "dead" game (only Lost Ark and FFXIV surpass that) and a lot of longtime players seems ready to come back if Blizzard delivers what has been advertised for the new xpack (which would solve a lot of the issues players had with the latest xpacks).

dont forget that WoW has a dedicated pvp department, 3's arena, rated battle grounds, and better rewards. 

being a wow refugee i can say that GW2 combat plays better, but anet just doesnt care about pvp. The rewards for both WvW and spvp are garbage, the matchmaking is garbage, the balance changes are garbage, and for alot of new players it leaves a stale taste in the mouth resulting in never coming back to touch those game modes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 6/13/2022 at 3:50 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Can't wait for the hordes of wvw players to descend into AoC to mass complain about having to fight in siege and defenses are too stronk if it takes you more than 5 mins to break into anything.

🤡

BDO had a better chance imo.

I'm not sure why some folks are convinved a guy who got rich in real estate and has development experience amounting to played Lineage once upon a time is a shoe-in for the next big thing, but whatever. Much like Crowfall and Star Citizen, if the dreamers want to crowdfund these projects I guess I'll do them the courtesy of possibly playing them if the 30 day review isn't as dreadful as MMO reviews usually are...

Stranger things have happened after all.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:08 PM, Zepoolpe.9217 said:

A "strong" Player base of people with low standards who don't care about the lawsuits that happened to Blizzard due to their incredible low standards and sunk cost fallacy, to be more precise. Those are the kind of people who you don't want playing other games I guess, so maybe its a good thing that bad games like WoW exist, keep the riff raff off actual good games. 

GW2 has a good community, thinking on it, I am extremely glad the toxic WoW community stays over there. 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, Odin.6487 said:

dont forget that WoW has a dedicated pvp department, 3's arena, rated battle grounds, and better rewards. 

being a wow refugee i can say that GW2 combat plays better, but anet just doesnt care about pvp. The rewards for both WvW and spvp are garbage, the matchmaking is garbage, the balance changes are garbage, and for alot of new players it leaves a stale taste in the mouth resulting in never coming back to touch those game modes. 

Yeah, besides the pvp and wvw rewards being bad - what usually happens is most players who do play wvw want the rewards to stay bad. They don't want pve players coming in. Its a really big mixed bag, cause if they did make them a lot better, a lot of the current players would quit, and if the pve players quit as well, the game mode would entirely die. 
Tbh with GW2 pvp, it was better the day before E-specs became a thing. Launch GW2 pvp was some of the best pvp out there. 

Edited by Gorem.8104

17 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

A "strong" Player base of people with low standards who don't care about the lawsuits that happened to Blizzard due to their incredible low standards and sunk cost fallacy, to be more precise. Those are the kind of people who you don't want playing other games I guess, so maybe its a good thing that bad games like WoW exist, keep the riff raff off actual good games. 

GW2 has a good community, thinking on it, I am extremely glad the toxic WoW community stays over there. 

Yeah, besides the pvp and wvw rewards being bad - what usually happens is most players who do play wvw want the rewards to stay bad. They don't want pve players coming in. Its a really big mixed bag, cause if they did make them a lot better, a lot of the current players would quit, and if the pve players quit as well, the game mode would entirely die. 
Tbh with GW2 pvp, it was better the day before E-specs became a thing. Launch GW2 pvp was some of the best pvp out there. 

if gaining new/updated rewards means the boomers quit then im fine with that. The game mode is already on its last leg because of the circle jerk mentality. 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:20 AM, Gorem.8104 said:

I'm talking about all the payers that liked the game over the years but left cos BfA, cos Shadowland, cos all the harassment and behavior that surfaced these last years, but that are ready to come back if Blizzard cleans its act and start again to make good xpack.

The new one seems promising and if they deliver, we might start to see WoW again on the #1 spot, but they will only succeed to do that if they really look at other games and see what is better there and use that feedback to improve their on game.

That only way for them as all the players that left went to other games like GW2 and FFXIV and saw other ways of doing things and so will expect more. Blizzard it seems already started to take the hint if you look at the dragon mounts in the teaser for their new xpack: this is straight out of GW2, which for me has the best mount system of all MMO (different mounts, with different strengths and limitation, not the standard "I can go in any directions for as long as i want" mount of all the others).

That's this kind of design that made GW2 what it is (because for all its current flaws, at its core it is arguably good game).

• Thanks 1