Fashion Wars vs. The User Interface

Just wanted to create a list of suggestions for updates to the UI to facilitate better fashion, since you have a team working on fixing random things now.

- Separate visibility toggles between equipment templates for weapons, backpack, trinkets, etc.

- Separate glider and mount skins between equipment templates.

- Add Z-axis in preview window.

- Enlarge preview window to prevent clipping of larger items.

- Show lighting effects, infusions, etc. in preview window.  Additionally, add visibility toggle for these effects in preview window.

- Add vault icon to preview window to allow preview of all available skins.

Also, here's a random idea that's a bit beyond the scope of simply updating the UI:

Add custom "outfits".  By this I mean that the player can create and store a specific look and then reapply it to an equipment template at the push of a button.  Possible interaction with transmute charges, e.g. 1 transmute charge to store a custom outfit in addition to the transmute cost to create each individual item within the outfit, but free to recall from custom outfit storage.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Add custom "outfits".  By this I mean that the player can create and store a specific look and then reapply it to an equipment template at the push of a button.  Possible interaction with transmute charges, e.g. 1 transmute charge to store a custom outfit in addition to the transmute cost to create each individual item within the outfit, but free to recall from custom outfit storage

This would almost surely be a Gem Store feature but I would gladly pay instead of having 6 extra sets of gear I use just for fashion 

• Like 6

Wish we had tab for outfits. I found two outfits that fit one character, but the difference is one dye off. And I don't want to constantly replace the dye of that specific bit if I want to swap it occasionally.

Plus would make it easier to "Dress for the occasion".

• Like 9

we still haven't added previewable cosmetic infusions. some of these infusion make or break the look. since anet has heavily invest time into making this cosmetic infusion so end-game and valuable you'd think they would integrate infusions as part of the characters look. the issue is that they are just so many obnoxious ones they made that may be preventing them from doing a full scale update to infusions as a true fashion war endeavor 

Edited by Arcv.2361
  • Like 9

I would like to see a propper preview-option in the wardrobe tap of the hero pannel. If I switch through weapon skins there I can only see them stowed on the character, most times with clipping in the armor. So half of the weapon isn't even visible. Why not have the whole "stowed", "drawn" and "weapon only" option there? It is also hard to find matching one-handed sets, since only main- or offhand is displayed, never both. Why is it the least functional when I'm about to spend transmutation charges?

• Like 3

Preview for applying stuff with transmutation charges really needs to have the capability to show weapon drawn, like the "official" preview window too. It's weird that you have to go through a separate window to see that.

Edit: I see the poster above me already mentioned it. I 2nd what they said then.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Yello.3406 said:

I would like to see a propper preview-option in the wardrobe tap of the hero pannel. If I switch through weapon skins there I can only see them stowed on the character, most times with clipping in the armor. So half of the weapon isn't even visible. Why not have the whole "stowed", "drawn" and "weapon only" option there?

1 hour ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Preview for applying stuff with transmutation charges really needs to have the capability to show weapon drawn, like the "official" preview window too. It's weird that you have to go through a separate window to see that.

Edit: I see the poster above me already mentioned it. I 2nd what they said then.

You mean in the wardrobe tab of the hero panel? You can draw a weapon with draw/stow key (or just press "1" to do it) and the preview character in wardrobe/equipment tab will also draw the weapon.

It is also hard to find matching one-handed sets, since only main- or offhand is displayed, never both.

This one's true though.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:53 PM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

- Separate visibility toggles between equipment templates for weapons, backpack, trinkets, etc.

- Separate glider and mount skins between equipment templates.

- Show lighting effects, infusions, etc. in preview window.  Additionally, add visibility toggle for these effects in preview window.

Good suggestions, pretty sure at least some of those were brought up when they introduced templates -tbh was hoping they'd implement these by now.

- Add Z-axis in preview window.

- Enlarge preview window to prevent clipping of larger items.

- Add vault icon to preview window to allow preview of all available skins.

While these are also good, I'd see them as less impactful than the ones from the previous quote.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

Combine the tabs. Dyes, outfits, etc do not need to be and suffer for being separate tabs. It's a pain in the kitten to do anything because you have to go in and out of tabs over and over because of the artificial separation. Why can I not change the colors and the clothing at once? Why do I have to work with outfits separate from everything else? The rest of the window is exactly the same for everything, just for some reason instead of using a unified interface the column on the right is different. 1 TAB. ONE.

Edited by Boogiepop Void.6473
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I always use 1 (Main hand) or 4 (Offhand) to preview Wardrobe weapons.

How do you equip 4 off hands at the same time?

Edit

ah you mean main hands that can be used in off hand I guess =P

Was pondering shields, focus, torch and warhorn

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 2

On 7/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Yes, please. Armor, weapons, trinkets, backpack. It would be so awesome to have those visibility toggles saved for each equipment template. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, JayHog.3280 said:

Wish we had tab for outfits. I found two outfits that fit one character, but the difference is one dye off. And I don't want to constantly replace the dye of that specific bit if I want to swap it occasionally.

Plus would make it easier to "Dress for the occasion".

Oh that'd be the dream. 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Add custom "outfits".  By this I mean that the player can create and store a specific look and then reapply it to an equipment template at the push of a button.  Possible interaction with transmute charges, e.g. 1 transmute charge to store a custom outfit in addition to the transmute cost to create each individual item within the outfit, but free to recall from custom outfit storage.

Please this, a wardrobe feature we can use to store and select from pre made sets of transmog would be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE QoL feature. Surprised GW2 doesn't have this already tbh, it'd make switching your outfits less of a hassle, and depending on how they handle it, less costly too.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, SamuelW.2685 said:

Please this, a wardrobe feature we can use to store and select from pre made sets of transmog would be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE QoL feature. Surprised GW2 doesn't have this already tbh, it'd make switching your outfits less of a hassle, and depending on how they handle it, less costly too.

Well you could always unlock the 6 equipment tabs to have 6 different outfits to chose from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well you could always unlock the 6 equipment tabs to have 6 different outfits to chose from.

It's something, if you're drowning in gold or cash and don't care about having more than one build, I guess.

Incidentally, this is one reason why transmutation needs to be ditched, is so you can have a custom overlay look that has nothing to do with the underlying stats (like how outfits work). It's pretty awful to have the stats tied to the appearance and legendaries are the only way out through stat swapping, with them being a massive long-term goal for most players. They also don't apply for leveling even if you do have them (level 80 gear).

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 7/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

This would almost surely be a Gem Store feature but I would gladly pay instead of having 6 extra sets of gear I use just for fashion 

This is what SWTOR has. You can use real money to buy extra slots but you can also buy extra slots with in game currency. Finally an opportunity for GW2 to copy something SWTOR has. There are various things SWTOR copied from GW2 after all, like material storage.

12 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Is legendary gear really a massive long-term goal for most players?

I doubt it, but since the legendary armory came into being, I'm sure there are quite a few more players that have started collecting legendary gear.

12 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Also, if you ditch transmutation charges, then where would you recoup the lost cost/profit from those?  Anet would have to find other means to make up that difference.

Not sure how much money they make off transmutation charges, but then I'm biased in that sense because I've done a lot of map completion and play WvW where you can get more charges easily. So, I don't ever have to buy them. 

In fact the reason I started playing WvW is because it makes a lot of things in PvE so much easier.

But yeah...they will find a way to recoup the revenue. Or they just won't do it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

But yeah...they will find a way to recoup the revenue. Or they just won't do it. 

That was kind of my point.  Anet would need to monetize something else if transmutation were free and then we'd get the same complaints about why that thing should then be free.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Also, if you ditch transmutation charges, then where would you recoup the lost cost/profit from those?  Anet would have to find other means to make up that difference.

I'm sure there are players who would spend more money on cosmetics if they could use them without spending more money on transmute charges.  Likewise if you weren't limited to the convoluted template system they've chosen.  A lot of players simply don't participate in these systems. 

For instance, I love the fashion game but I don't buy transmute charges (even before I had legendary armor or played a ton of WvW) or template slots.  That limits the number of looks I create for my character which has the effect of limiting how often I'm searching the gemshop for the right cosmetic to complete a new look.

I think there's potential there to make the system more convenient while also making money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Can't agree more with the OP. It would be really nice to have, especially seperate mount and glider skins for templates. From myself I will would add, toggle to disable transformation of lege armor. I would love for medium skin to stay on nice looking west rather than transforming into enormous glowing trenchosauruss dress coat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't have hard numbers, but if we consider how much time legendaries take, it's a lot. If you figure most players have limited time because of other obligations and/or other interests, I think it makes sense. I mean, you can spam play this game efficiently every day of the week and still take a good month or two per legendary and that's with beelining for it and mostly ignoring other goals. You figure someone doesn't know efficient play, doesn't understand most of the game's systems, doesn't have much time, etc., it stacks up to an even longer time investment. Then there's the factor of even understanding how to go for them. I think the Amulet is probably introducing a lot of people to getting a legendary, but the others are not so obvious. Usually heavy use of wiki is necessary to wrap your head around what all is needed and from where.

And on top of that, one of the major things we're talking about here is armor and the only ways to get legendary armor are from raids, PvP, and WvW, so if someone spends most of their time in open world, which is very easy to do, they may not even realize legendary armor is a thing.

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm sure there are players who would spend more money on cosmetics if they could use them without spending more money on transmute charges.  Likewise if you weren't limited to the convoluted template system they've chosen.  A lot of players simply don't participate in these systems. 

For instance, I love the fashion game but I don't buy transmute charges (even before I had legendary armor or played a ton of WvW) or template slots.  That limits the number of looks I create for my character which has the effect of limiting how often I'm searching the gemshop for the right cosmetic to complete a new look.

I think there's potential there to make the system more convenient while also making money.

Yeah, I've played an MMO where it has an overlay kind of mix and match outfit system (with up to 16 outfit slots you can unlock) and the only cost for changing outfit pieces is a relatively cheap amount of in-game coin. So maybe the equivalent of something like 5-10 silver per piece in this game. And they have tons of cosmetics they sell in a store and afaik are doing just fine raking in the cash.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1