Account Name and Password no longer saved [Merged]

Found a "fix" for this that is working for me.

Navigate to where your Guild Wars 2 folder is installed and create a shortcut for the GW2-64.exe by right clicking the file and selecting: Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

This shortcut can then be moved wherever you like on your PC. Personally, I place mine back inside the Guild Wars 2 install folder to keep things tidy. You can also Pin the shortcut to your Start menu by right clicking and selecting the Pin to Start option.

Now right click on the shortcut that you created and select Properties. Where it says Target, add -autologin to the end of the command path. Note that there is a space in front of the dash, and there is no need to change anything else in the command path line. Your actual install path may differ from mine, but the end of the Target line should look like this:

"C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -autologin

Click Okay at the bottom of the window and launch Guild Wars 2 with your newly edited shortcut. If your edit was done correctly, the shortcut will open the launcher window with your account already logged in, with the Play button ready to start the game.

Hope this helps some of you who are having this same issue!

Edited by GEAR.6309
  • Confused 1

I'm having a similar issue. It remembers my password, but not my account name. No matter how many times I save it. Even deleted the files that contain username information to get them fresh and it still persists. It's not a major issue, but its just annoying that I have to do this so frequently. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! We're currently looking into how to reproduce this bug, and could use a few more details from any affected users. This may seem like a silly question, but does this happen even in cases where the "Remember Account Name" and "Remember Password" checkboxes are properly checked off, and you successfully log in at least once?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Double Tap said:

Hello! We're currently looking into how to reproduce this bug, and could use a few more details from any affected users. This may seem like a silly question, but does this happen even in cases where the "Remember Account Name" and "Remember Password" checkboxes are properly checked off, and you successfully log in at least once?

Yes, it does.  It happens sporadically.  Sometimes, it works; often, it does not.

When it doesn't work, starting to type in your Account Name always seems to trigger the (correct) password filling in, but, of course, you must continue typing in one's Account Name completely. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Double Tap said:

Yes, checkboxes checked. And it happens randomly. When it does happen it's always only the Account Name that's blank for me. To solve it, it's enough to close the launcher and re-launch the game a few times, and the account name will be filled in again eventually.

Only happens on my Windows 11 laptop, and only started to occur for me the last 4 weeks. My Win10 computer does not have the problem.

Edited by darksome.1697

7 hours ago, Double Tap said:

Somebody said it happens when the "add an authenticator" popup should be occurring, but I don't get that popup because I have one. (This probably doesn't help 😅)

It's spoaradic that the information is not filled in when I start the client.

But the information itself is, somehow, internally still saved somewhere in the client when this happens. At least in my client. Because when I then just close the client and start it again, often the account/password information is filled in and I can log in without having to enter accountname/password manually again.

And sometimes when this happens, even after closing/starting the client again, the fields are still empty. Sometimes I have to retry closing-starting the client up to 5 times until I do not get the empty fields and I can log in without entering the data again.

Maybe the cause for this is the same bug in the client and the bug manifests itself only in a different number (from zero to infinite) of retries until it works again for different accounts/computers/environments.

I have several accounts with different local.dat files, set to load a specific one depending on which account I launch, and it's about a 50% chance that the username is 'forgotten' even though the checkbox is checked for all accounts, and sometimes they load anyway. I have not figured out any way to reproduce the issue, because the same account sometimes works fine, and other times doesn't have a username without any rhyme or reason.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it may be related to a problem that some people are also having. Since the same patch, the game will sometimes freeze instead of closing when you log out, and you'll have to close it through the task manager. My credentials are not saved after a forced close. When the game actually closes normally (which is rare) then my credentials are saved upon opening.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, Double Tap said:

This is still an issue.  Have you not found 1 'Dev' out of the 200-300 that work for the studio that has this same issue (so you can see it reproduced)???

I also have this problem. And I have found something that override the problem.

I'm on win10 using 2 monitors.

I have a 4k monitor and so I play the game at 4k. When I launch the game, 80%of the time, the launcher forgets my username.

BUT, when I go the the gw2-64.exe properties (or its desktop shortcut), under compatibility tab, Change high DPI settings, and change High DPI scaling override to System, the launcher works flawlessly but the game runs at 1080p...

So, I think that maybe, the problem comes from the launcher having bad behavior when using high resolution. And that's too bad the launcher and the game are not independent.

I hope it's something that can help because that bug is annoying.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 1:48 AM, dkpan.9750 said:

I also have this problem. And I have found something that override the problem.

I'm on win10 using 2 monitors.

I have a 4k monitor and so I play the game at 4k. When I launch the game, 80%of the time, the launcher forgets my username.

BUT, when I go the the gw2-64.exe properties (or its desktop shortcut), under compatibility tab, Change high DPI settings, and change High DPI scaling override to System, the launcher works flawlessly but the game runs at 1080p...

So, I think that maybe, the problem comes from the launcher having bad behavior when using high resolution. And that's too bad the launcher and the game are not independent.

I hope it's something that can help because that bug is annoying.

ty for this, completely fixed the missing account name issue.

Same bug/problem here.  Started in June/July and nothing was changed in my computer.  It keeps the password but not the Account name.  Deleted the shortcut,  redid the full login. reentered name and password, click on remember.  No change.  Have latest Win10 version.  Never had that problem before that game update.

Now its 9 out of 10 login it ask for login name.  Quite annoying.

Happy Holiday all

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Specialized.2635 said:

Same here. Launcher does not remember credentials on 3 different PC's for men. And it is 2023 already. No fix found yet?

If you are actually encountering this bug, it is saving, the problem is it sometimes doesn't load the saved login. The problem is linked to the new version of CoherentUI they're using, and they plan on changing from CoherentUI to CEF, so it's unlikely this will be fixed until that change is complete.

That said, most people only think the password isn't being saved, since the password is displayed as ****** and can be hard to see.

• Confused 1