Asked a million times... I know.

I am a returning player who really enjoyed greatsword reaper a few years ago.  I am looking for a class that has the "Terminator" playstyle:  "Unkillable", able to solo as much open world content as possible, while still being forgiving.  I assume Reaper, Scourge, or Harbinger are at the top of the list.  I was also looking at Specter due to thief being my first class, I love the asthetic but do not have the patience for high skill ceiling squishy builds.  I am content beating my enemy to death with a pool noodle so long as I get the win... a win is a win after all.  In summation, if GW2 had a Diablo style hardcore mode where you had only life and had to complete most of the open world game solo (Champions etc.) which would you choose?  (I know story mode can be completed by any class with ease)  Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gunfighter.9152
Additional info.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Gunfighter.9152 said:

I am a returning player who really enjoyed greatsword reaper a few years ago.  I am looking for a class that has the "Terminator" playstyle:  "Unkillable", able to solo as much open world content as possible, while still being forgiving.

The Mechanist elite spec for Engineer falls into that category, though "unkillable" is a powerful word. Mechanist is currently totally OP in all game modes.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

Hi, if you dont care about efficiency and speed kills I would suggest Mechanist as Ashantara did, herald or spellbreaker

Below are some examples:

Herald:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAkeZlpQHMLyhdRNMM6hJSfsCKgjuSerE-zRJYkR3fhkQB0bEEeK49q4bA-e

Mechanist:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAkqlxycZtMYWMWyT6RdA-zxIY1opvMitACPBkfV8N-e

Spellbreaker:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEMiNsMBGG7ipxKxk7q/pC-zRJYkR9fhUQKEZBUZE4wq4bA-e

The examples above are kinda low intensity builds with survivability in mind and aoe dmg.

If you want to be get more hardcore, then Lord Hizen is a youtube channel you should check as you can find there the best version of unkillable and efficient builds (though the skill needed for these is kinda high to make the most out of them)

Edited by Mppa.3250
  • Like 4

Revenant, Necromancer and Engineer. Specter (thief) is up there too but depending on your gear/build it can feel squishy and is more complex to play, so about the same skill as revenant. Reaper and rifle engi are very simple to play. I've had so much fun playing the Rifle Mechanist lately, it literally melts the enemies. I went with some Marauder's gear since the hp pool is kinda low and swapped sigils/runes/talents around a bit to compensate for lost crit. For necro I still run my old favorite MM Reaper in open world, it's just such amazing build.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 2

If you want thief. There is the build I'm running to solo stuff with my thief.

Deatheye With maleficent seven and the reworked Shadow arts trait line you almost have perma protection with a little celestial gear. Utility's are changeable depending on preference and what you are facing. With Eod came jade bot, which you can upgrade for a little vitality boost. Pretty nice for thief. Something like HP arrowhead in auric basin is joke with this build.

Otherwise every revenant build with battle scars and toughness is a kittening tank, even after the selfheal nerfs.

If you want the literal Terminator feeling, you could go Bladesworn Warrior with a rifle. Not the most optimal build. Put pretty funky. And with range, some toughness, Lush_Forest and Immortal dragon your  biggest concern gonna be the timer on some champions.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

[&DQgyHwI7ExkoDygPQAFAAfoA+gB1AW8BlQCVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

Soloed many champs and story bosses (including Mordremoth) without dying with this build. It somewhat lacks damage so you'll be killing bosses slower, but survivability is top notch. Weapons are Berserker, armor is Marauder and trinkets are a mix of toughness and healing power. Runes are Dolyak, sigils are Generosity and Blood on axe/focus and Fire/Water on dagger/warhorn.

Edited by SpiderZ.9146
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for all the input!  I appreciate everyone giving solid opinions and not just telling me to sift through the forums... which I have done already.  You all gave me a baseline I can work with and didn't get one jerk reply!  Looks like the community has grown up a bit :).  Have fun! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gunfighter.9152 said:

Thanks for all the input!  I appreciate everyone giving solid opinions and not just telling me to sift through the forums... which I have done already.  You all gave me a baseline I can work with and didn't get one jerk reply!  Looks like the community has grown up a bit :).  Have fun! 

It was always like this your other questions must have been immature mate 😋

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/26/2022 at 6:47 AM, Gunfighter.9152 said:

able to solo as much open world content as possible, while still being forgiving.  I assume Reaper, Scourge, or Harbinger are at the top of the list. 

Reaper is not at the top

Scourge or Harbinger - maybe

Mirage - strong, in hundreds real solo-battles tested (me personally) option that I can advice.

Edited by taara.3217
  • Like 1

I'm going out on a limb here and am going to suggest scrapper.

If you trait w/ explosives and alchemy you get something like This

Its pretty much impossible to die and you can give boons to allies you don't do much damage tho

Mechanist is better sustain but if you play scrapper you don't have to worry about ai

Power Mechanist is stupid.  I ran it for the first time last night in strike missions.  I don't think I hit any key in my rotation in the right order and didn't hit my mech skills off-cool down or in the right order AND kept hitting F4 to make the thing fly away and I was still doing over 20k DPS.  If I had just slammed my face into my keyboard and rolled it around, I probably could have gotten even higher DPS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Axe/Pistol and Staff condi mirage is my go-to when I want to make sure I can solo anything easily. It’s also got a fun mobile fluidity.

Double staff is even more survivable, but IMO totally unnecessary.

Even though it’s condi, it’s plenty bursty. It also has a cool vibe in the open world because once you get used to how the condis tick you’ll be leaving mobs before they’re even down and moving onto the next ones assured in your awesomeness that they are defeated, but just don’t know it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 6:47 AM, Gunfighter.9152 said:

I am a returning player who really enjoyed greatsword reaper a few years ago.  I am looking for a class that has the "Terminator" playstyle:  "Unkillable", able to solo as much open world content as possible, while still being forgiving.  I assume Reaper, Scourge, or Harbinger are at the top of the list.  I was also looking at Specter due to thief being my first class, I love the asthetic but do not have the patience for high skill ceiling squishy builds.  I am content beating my enemy to death with a pool noodle so long as I get the win... a win is a win after all.  In summation, if GW2 had a Diablo style hardcore mode where you had only life and had to complete most of the open world game solo (Champions etc.) which would you choose?  (I know story mode can be completed by any class with ease)  Thanks in advance!

Full berserker mechanist Rifle, you are only required to auto attack, thats it. Anything else bonus, can survive and tank literally any open world content.

There is also condi mechanist build, face tank anything auto attack only.

I forgot to mention, turtle mount can also solo hot champions, just spam slam.

Edited by stormemperor.3745

Something of a juggernaut that isn't necromancer.  Relatively low input without needing to time skills perfectly all the time.  Pool Noodle acceptable.

Spellbreaker focusing on toughness and all the CC skills.  It's fun smashing things and making them go flying.  Can be geared to be more defensive rather than going for berserk (or the slightly less damaging marauder).  I've solo'd things on my spellbreaker that I fully expected to die to.  Mace/shield and Hammer.  Rifle in inventory if I want ranged for some reason.

Herald is good with a permaboon build and going for Jalis rather than Shiro.  It's definitely a pool noodle if you go with Commander stats and sword/shield glint/jalis, but it's easy to play and juggernauty.  It's also great for fire-and-forget playstyles.  You can usually just keep the upkeep skills going and forget they exist.

Scrapper is another tanky option, though there's way more buttons to push.  My particular scrapper build isn't as easily survivable so I'm still adjusting it.

Those are my personal suggestions for you to try out.  Sry I don't have my builds handy to link for you, but if you really want them let me know.  I figured making a build is easy for you at this point.

• Like 1