On-hit Auras

Zagerus.8675

4 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Shocking Aura is busted and should be a daze, Magnetic Aura is fine it's just that Earth Shield is busted and Earth Shield #3 is overloaded with mobility, daze, damage, and aura in one (remove the aura).

Compared to Ranger Great sword, which has way more easy access, Earth Shield is child's play

• Like 2

Just don't attack and read the animations ?

Mean I main a class with passive AI who proc it randomly and even if sometimes I'm the first to grumble about it, I don't find it op at all.

Mainly because both Shocking and Magnetic auras have visible animations and can be predicted based on with attunement the ele is and they are counterable.

There is plenty of skills with No/bad animation who obliterate you harder than thoses auras, which is way more problematic IMO. (looking at you all teleport classes with the damage who proc before the animation or the 3 in 1 skills on some classes...)

Edited by viquing.8254
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Unblockable attacks go threw magnetic aura. And pretty much every projectile class has access to an unblockable utility. There's counters out there for these things but people don't want to use them or don't know about them I guess. My point is, auras are fine.

Nah, auras are a bit OP.

Need a way to remove them.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

> be mesmer
> ele uses shocking aura and goes on his super-sayian-crazed-beast mode
> use blurred frenzy to save yourself
> blurred frenzy has small attacks that do nothing, but they're still attacks; you're rupted
> use bladeturn requiem to save yourself
> bladeturn requiem has small attacks that do nothing, but they're still attacks; you're rupted
> use chronomancer shield block to save yourself
> shield block on chrono doesn't even have an attack, but for whatever reason IT DOES proc shocking aura; you're rupted
> stop attacking to avoid proccing shocking aura
> that one clone you shattered 30 minutes ago finally reaches its intended target; you're rupted
> try to put some distance between you and the elementalist
> elementalist maliciously steps over the chaos storm still pulsing from 30 minutes ago; you're rupted
> use signet of midnight\torch4 to save yourself
> you'll never guess what happens next

Fighting elementalists on mesmer sure can be fun.

Wouldn't it be cool if Mesmers could grant themselves Stability with a low-cooldown, instant-cast skill?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if Mesmers could grant themselves Stability with a low-cooldown, instant-cast skill?

I always wondered why mesmers don't take that. 2 stunbreaks that also give stab on a low cooldown. And it only takes up one utility slot? 

Whenever I run this I don't feel so bad about using blink offensively because I'm not burning my only stunbreak for playmaking. 

Auras as ground-targeted, 180-radius bubbles which grant/inflict effects on targets within them? Change/taper some of the most oppressive effects to prevent the "no fun allowed" from being too powerful at AoE?  At least then there's another angle to play against somebody (or a team).

21 minutes ago, Swagg.9236 said:

Auras as ground-targeted, 180-radius bubbles which grant/inflict effects on targets within them? Change/taper some of the most oppressive effects to prevent the "no fun allowed" from being too powerful at AoE?  At least then there's another angle to play against somebody (or a team).

So magnetic-aura would be Feedback, but worse (240 radius vs 180)

Frost-aura would be Frozen Ground, but worse (300 radius + unblockable vs 180)

Fire-aura would be Combustive Shot, but worse (360 radius, 9s duration, vs 180) (Or, alternative comparison, Fire Bomb in Engi bomb-kit, 240 radius with 8s CD)

Shocking-aura would be Darkrazors Daring, but worse (360 radius, with stability and stunbreak, vs 180).

If you're using Ele-Staff, Warrior Longbow / Engi Bomb-Kit, Kalla Renegade and core-mesmer, as a "balance point", I'm not sure you're really wanting to achieve balance.

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ragnar.4257 said:

So magnetic-aura would be Feedback, but worse (240 radius vs 180)

Frost-aura would be Frozen Ground, but worse (300 radius + unblockable vs 180)

Fire-aura would be Combustive Shot, but worse (360 radius, 9s duration, vs 180) (Or, alternative comparison, Fire Bomb in Engi bomb-kit, 240 radius with 8s CD)

Shocking-aura would be Darkrazors Daring, but worse (360 radius, with stability and stunbreak, vs 180).

If you're using Ele-Staff, Warrior Longbow / Engi Bomb-Kit, Kalla Renegade and core-mesmer, as a "balance point", I'm not sure you're really wanting to achieve balance.

I explicitly said "change" with reference to the current aura effects for a reason.  That aside, "achieving balance" isn't worth anything if the game is fundamentally broken and shallow.  Making auras bound to areas instead of having them follow people around opens up different counterplay and forces users to commit and think to certain positions and timeframes if they're going to use an aura.

Just because the current auras effectively overlap with multiple other skills in the game despite being passive, instant, automatic gameplay elements isn't so much an issue of balance as it is one of bloat.  Honestly, how are you going to say that making these effects bound to locations is MORE powerful than having a player (to possibly include all nearby allies) passively coated in this AoE effect?  There's also the idea of making auras power up combo finisher attacks rather than just passively modifying a given exchange within the bubble.  Plenty of things to discuss.  Use your mind.  Holy smokes.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Swagg.9236 said:

How about we dont nerf what little ways eles have to keep themselves alive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Ptolomy.6984 said:

This guy gets it!

The second Support tempest sees a glimps of maybe becoming "meta", people jump in and start complaining about things that are literally in the game, longer than they are playing.

Not a single one of these QQ threads even mentions the areas where Tempest has received a buff and why it is vaible currently.... and that shows just how objective these threads really are. THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHY TEMPEST HAS RISEN FROM THE DUMPSTER!

People just leash at whatever is interrupting their "HARBINGER SMASH BUTTONS ENEMY GO DEED"- gameplay the most. Those people literally keep hammering on someone that has shockaura and then they start complaining that they are stunned....

Tempest has so many glaring weaknesses, its not even funny at times. But people cant be bothered to ask how to deal with them. Instead they Rapidfire into a magnectic aura and then go "nurf tumpust"!

None of these people is also aware that auras are a big part of Catalyst aswell, and that any nerf to auras will also heavily affect Catalyst.

if anything they have to tune down elementalbastion again(you heal more with sage in pvp, than a fullminstrel tempest does in Wvw.. just saying) and remove the magaura from Earthshield 3 and instead have it apply mag aura, when you pick up the shield. This way you cant camp in earthshield like you can now. You have to pick it up, quickly use the skills and then drop it. Currently you can hold on to it and gain some pretty juicy coverage of mag aura just from the shield+ earth 4 and overloading earth alone. Just using 1 utilityslot with your other sources you gain alomst 100% coverage on magaura for the whole team.

They heal more than a fullminstrel tempest in wvw and they can get 100% coverage on magaura. But please keep complaining about shockaura stunning you for 1 second!

People dont even know whats "wrong" and its so sad :CCC

The thing is: it can now compete with supguard.... Both are viable support picks currently... why exactly do we have to nerf tempest now!? do people want supguard only? do we have to nerf guardsup aswell? Are people aware that from a meta standpoint supports are pretty unnecessary currently!? Teams are winning in ATs without a support... Meanwhile teams are starting to play with 3 Thiefs.... hmmm.

Tempest is... i dont even dare say it... kind of a noobstomper in the sense that if you dont know whats going on they can be hella opressive.  From the perspective of someone unexperienced, being stunned over and over again cuz you hit someon might seem ridicilously broken. But once you know your way arround those "overpowered" 😉 mechanics. And start abusing tempest weaknesses... they suddenly dont look that strong at all.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Swagg.9236 said:

I explicitly said "change" with reference to the current aura effects for a reason.  That aside, "achieving balance" isn't worth anything if the game is fundamentally broken and shallow.  Making auras bound to areas instead of having them follow people around opens up different counterplay and forces users to commit and think to certain positions and timeframes if they're going to use an aura.

Just because the current auras effectively overlap with multiple other skills in the game despite being passive, instant, automatic gameplay elements isn't so much an issue of balance as it is one of bloat.  Honestly, how are you going to say that making these effects bound to locations is MORE powerful than having a player (to possibly include all nearby allies) passively coated in this AoE effect?  There's also the idea of making auras power up combo finisher attacks rather than just passively modifying a given exchange within the bubble.  Plenty of things to discuss.  Use your mind.  Holy smokes.

And here I was thinking that people already dislike the amount of ground-targeted pulsing AoE in this game.

And, I didn't say that making these effects bound to locations would be more powerful? Like, that was my whole point, that those skills are weak? You've somehow managed to get completely the wrong end of the stick.

And I'll address the actual changes you have suggested, not hypotheticals which you haven't, thanks.

I would quite like it if they leaned more heavily into combos. Like, have an aura do nothing by itself, but create a combo-field, and also enhance combos done in that field, eg a blast in a lightning-aura-field does an AoE stun, leaps in an earth-aura-field grant stability, etc. But that's far far more work than ANet are ever going to put into this game.

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

This guy gets it!

The second Support tempest sees a glimps of maybe becoming "meta", people jump in and start complaining about things that are literally in the game, longer than they are playing.

Not a single one of these QQ threads even mentions the areas where Tempest has received a buff and why it is vaible currently.... and that shows just how objective these threads really are. THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHY TEMPEST HAS RISEN FROM THE DUMPSTER!

People just leash at whatever is interrupting their "HARBINGER SMASH BUTTONS ENEMY GO DEED"- gameplay the most. Those people literally keep hammering on someone that has shockaura and then they start complaining that they are stunned....

Tempest has so many glaring weaknesses, its not even funny at times. But people cant be bothered to ask how to deal with them. Instead they Rapidfire into a magnectic aura and then go "nurf tumpust"!

None of these people is also aware that auras are a big part of Catalyst aswell, and that any nerf to auras will also heavily affect Catalyst.

if anything they have to tune down elementalbastion again(you heal more with sage in pvp, than a fullminstrel tempest does in Wvw.. just saying) and remove the magaura from Earthshield 3 and instead have it apply mag aura, when you pick up the shield. This way you cant camp in earthshield like you can now. You have to pick it up, quickly use the skills and then drop it. Currently you can hold on to it and gain some pretty juicy coverage of mag aura just from the shield+ earth 4 and overloading earth alone. Just using 1 utilityslot with your other sources you gain alomst 100% coverage on magaura for the whole team.

They heal more than a fullminstrel tempest in wvw and they can get 100% coverage on magaura. But please keep complaining about shockaura stunning you for 1 second!

People dont even know whats "wrong" and its so sad :CCC

The thing is: it can now compete with supguard.... Both are viable support picks currently... why exactly do we have to nerf tempest now!? do people want supguard only? do we have to nerf guardsup aswell? Are people aware that from a meta standpoint supports are pretty unnecessary currently!? Teams are winning in ATs without a support... Meanwhile teams are starting to play with 3 Thiefs.... hmmm.

Tempest is... i dont even dare say it... kind of a noobstomper in the sense that if you dont know whats going on they can be hella opressive.  From the perspective of someone unexperienced, being stunned over and over again cuz you hit someon might seem ridicilously broken. But once you know your way arround those "overpowered" 😉 mechanics. And start abusing tempest weaknesses... they suddenly dont look that strong at all.

Yah the reason tempest is strong isnt related to auras else people would also complain about catalysts. They feel thats annoying so that must be it.

And im just gonna say it. Most ele players have been playing ele for a long time, they stuck to it when it was great and when it was kitten and since it takes more effort on ele to achieve similar results on other classes most ele players are hmm how do i say it, more skilled at reading others and counterplaying them because they eat dirt when they dont. Just think of it eles start with a stat defecit like none other class and supposedly healing is something that keeps them alive which guess what! also needs stats. Guard blocks, mesmer and thief stealth and ports, rangers mobility and soft cc spam, the list goes on those things these classes use to protect themselves dont need any stats baseline to have effects. Which is where the problem lies. Eles have auras which somehow are supposed to help them but they do half the job, they are required to get hit to make use of it, imagine if thieves could only stealth if they got hit or guard could only block after they got hit, you get the idea. 

now if you want to nerf auras you gotta give something in return because you will not only nerf the tempest you guys are complaining so much about youre nerfing every ele spec. Because it just sounds like these people want free kills. If tempest is the problem hit something tempest specific. i dont think tempest is too strong but only the people that agree on this seem to suggest compromises that only hits tempest.

Also just play tempest yourself see how many people find ways to make your auras useless, i shouldnt have to say it but the best way is to try it out yourself and see stuff from their perspective coz auras arent OP as people claim it to be, it has alot of counterplay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Honest question, are players using bountiful disillusionment even having fun with the game? Because trust me, when I was playing that flavor of mesmer I lasted 15 minutes. 1s stab on shatter is not enough to justify that amount of boredom.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

5 hours ago, Ptolomy.6984 said:

How about GW2 stops being a clunky Diablo 2 with less depth than Runescape?  The things that keep players alive in GW2 PvP are super low effort and automatic.

4 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

When other 2 charge stunbreaks like twist of fate got their CD nerfed to 75 seconds.  (still think that was an overcorrection)

Yeah, there is a reason the other 2-charges stunbreaks (shake it off and twist of fate) are used, whereas mantra of concentration with 45s cd is not.

My 2 cents for Aura's be that full stuns are lame, dazes are more like it. 

It's also annoying to get chilled/burned/tormented by aura's when you're using a ranged weapon, isn't the premise of aura's be based on touching the player closely? Least that's what it appears to be at face value.