How does the "New Player Experience" Raptor changes affect Heroic Edition players?

most new player experience changes are the same across the board, but one big difference is the Raptor. With the update notes, it says if you have an expansion you get the raptor at level 10. if you are f2p you get a 10 hour trial of the raptor. Heroic edition accounts aren't either of these. Does anyone know which behavior Heroic Edition accounts can expect?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

no, Heroic Edition doesn't include expansions. but it is a full account with all content, character slots, daily login rewards, etc. so it's not a F2P account either. 

Edit: Heroic Edition has none of the F2P limitations except not having Expansions (and apparently getting the raptor trial).

Edited by Dalinar.9158
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Solitude.2097 said:

If it's for 10 hours and showcase the smoothness of the engine , i don't see a backfire

If they give them the long leap with the trial. How do you expect the new players to react when they get their short leap raptor with a newly bought expansion? One thing is to give someone a skill when you did not have any from before. Another is when you take the skill away. When I first started pof and got the raptor, I didn’t even think about the leap being short. However when I got the long leap I can’t see myself going back to short leap. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I just checked on my heroic edition account and can confirm I got the 10-hour trial of the raptor, not the permanent unlock.

Incidentally I got it by taking a level 48 character up to level 50 (using tomes), so the thing where it unlocks at any 10-level increment if you're already above level 10 seems to be working.

58 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Does Heroic Edition include Path of Fire expansion?

Heroic Edition is the paid version of the base game. It doesn't have any of the free-to-play restrictions so you can use map chat, buy and sell anything on the TP etc. but has none of the expansion content or features.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

If they give them the long leap with the trial. How do you expect the new players to react when they get their short leap raptor with a newly bought expansion? One thing is to give someone a skill when you did not have any from before. Another is when you take the skill away. When I first started pof and got the raptor, I didn’t even think about the leap being short. However when I got the long leap I can’t see myself going back to short leap. 

People all over the internet are talking about the GW2 mounts . If we present to them without the impoved leap , then the onwer of the trial account will simply try it and scoffed it off for being mislead  by the overzealous fans .

The goal is to entice people to buy the expansion .  Or when they try core game and find it lacking and goes back to their previous mmos , they will always remember  that sexy mobility .

When they buy the expanion (PoF), we let the  "improved form" to run out it's course  and then we slap them with the core mount and tell them to "lvl it up" by doing events

Edited by Solitude.2097
  • Confused 12

4 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

That's a good point. If the demo version gave players an upgraded raptor, then they unlocked the full version and found it wasn't as good as what they'd had it would probably seem like they'd wasted money, or at least like an annoying amount of hassle just to get back to where they were before they can start actually upgrading it.

Also I just tried running around on the trial raptor and even though I've had PoF since it came out and got all the masteries years ago the jump didn't feel noticable short to me, until I switched back to my main account and tried that. The thing I missed most was actually Bond of Vigor for the faster endurance recharge.

Incidentally I also noticed there's no way to dye the free raptor or preview skins, the mounts tab in the hero panel is still locked and the dye tab doesn't appear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solitude.2097 said:

People all over the internet are talking about the GW2 mounts . If we present to them without the impoved leap , then the onwer of the trial account will simply try it and find it lacking .

The goal is to entice people to buy the expansion .  Or when they try core game and find it lacking and goes back to their previous mmos , they will always remember  that sexy mobility .

When they buy the expanion (PoF), we let the  "improved form" to run out it's course  and then we slap them with the core mount and tell them to "lvl it up"

The shorter leap doesn’t take away the smoothness of the Mount. It still feels unique without the upgrades. However it will not feel that way if you’ve played the fully upgraded mounts. New players have not done that. So giving them the upgraded version then take it away, would only flood the forums with bad reviews of the Mount. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

The shorter leap doesn’t take away the smoothness of the Mount. It still feels unique without the upgrades. However it will not feel that way if you’ve played the fully upgraded mounts. New players have not done that. So giving them the upgraded version then take it away, would only flood the forums with bad reviews of the Mount. 

The 10 hour trial , is a preview of what the game can offer (in it's best form). Lure them to buy the expanion (PoF).

If they buy EoD , they will get the "core mount"

Edited by Solitude.2097
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

The announcement said an expansion is required for the non-trial version of the raptor. Heroic edition is just the base game so it makes sense that it doesn't get expansion content 🤷‍♂️

Yea OPs question was if it got the trial version or not and apparently it do get it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Solitude.2097 said:

People all over the internet are talking about the GW2 mounts . If we present to them without the impoved leap , then the onwer of the trial account will simply try it and scoffed it off for being mislead  by the overzealous fans .

If you think gw2 mounts are somehow praised mainly based on the length of raptor jump then you must be misreading something there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I am curious to see how new players react to the mount system in this game. Having 8 mounts that essentially do the work of one "normal" mmorpg mount (exceptions aside of course).

well seeing how people loved the scuffed 1/8th of  the mount system in wow with "dragon flight" and got REALLY pissed that blizzard once again plays " we decide what's fun for you" police by not making it part of the entire world, shows how they ""hate" it. 
aka not at all.
the "normal" mmorpg mount is nothing more than a glorified speed boost, and with a flying mount nothing but a glorified no clip cheat....with object collision.
these "normal" mounts only work decently because they can be put on auto walk and then you can do other stuff while tabbing out. Other MMOs do not have the instant travel system gw2 has and are also fully open world. if they had instant travel, like we do, they would ONLY use mounts to show off, not to travel. But they would use the dragon flight cause its fun. and that's what makes GW2 mounts so great. they are NOT just speed boosts and no clip. they are great terrain traversal methods that do more then just boringly move on a XYZ axis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Solitude.2097 said:

The 10 hour trial , is a preview of what the game can offer (in it's best form). Lure them to buy the expanion (PoF).

If they buy EoD , they will get the "core mount"

guess what "only having a short leap" is. its luring people to buy the POF expac to get the mount fully AND the mastery to upgrade it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShroomOneUp.6913 said:

well seeing how people loved the scuffed 1/8th of  the mount system in wow with "dragon flight" and got REALLY pissed that blizzard once again plays " we decide what's fun for you" police by not making it part of the entire world, shows how they ""hate" it. 
aka not at all.
the "normal" mmorpg mount is nothing more than a glorified speed boost, and with a flying mount nothing but a glorified no clip cheat....with object collision.
these "normal" mounts only work decently because they can be put on auto walk and then you can do other stuff while tabbing out. Other MMOs do not have the instant travel system gw2 has and are also fully open world. if they had instant travel, like we do, they would ONLY use mounts to show off, not to travel. But they would use the dragon flight cause its fun. and that's what makes GW2 mounts so great. they are NOT just speed boosts and no clip. they are great terrain traversal methods that do more then just boringly move on a XYZ axis

Yep, you are most definitely right. I guess that's part of why Guild Wars 2 is still top of the mmorpg pile.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Yep, you are most definitely right. I guess that's part of why Guild Wars 2 is still top of the mmorpg pile.

do i read sarcasm here?`maybe so let me address it.

the mount system alone does NOT draw in people or keep them, of course. its only a part of a big package. but the fact that blizzard stole a portion of that system and people like it even though its scuffed in its initial presentation, shows it a very good portion of GW2. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ShroomOneUp.6913 said:

guess what "only having a short leap" is. its luring people to buy the POF expac to get the mount fully AND the mastery to upgrade it.

Which they wont know , if it will be  improved .

People playing  for 10 hours and then getting back in their  other games , they will instantly miss it or leave them with a strong impression to try again GW2 in the future .

We must always think about the future .

This(edit: there could be a "bug" that offers increase dash) + the core Strikes + some more "festival community-events" + creating solo-openWorld-bosses-random encounters-Bloodborn were the player +npc goes invisible and both are "tendered" to a pole (so they cannot escape) , will go a long way to make core game exciting.

Edit: nvm scratch core Strikes . Too much drama

Edited by Solitude.2097
  • Confused 6