f1 - f3 auto

Fwog.9387

I am curious. They changed the pet bar to be able to auto attack now, but the unleashed untamed abilities still cannot do that. I am curious if that is a bug or not. Could be intentional but when i saw the changes, i figured it was aimed specifically at untamed to make it a bit easier to play. Though if it doesn't work when unleashed. Not really. 

• Like 1

Says so in the patchnotes:
"The untamed elite specialization's Unleash Pet F1, F2, and F3 skills may not be set to autoattack; this function only applies to the pet's natural skills."

45 minutes ago, Dragana.1497 said:

This change wasn't made with Untamed in mind. It was made with Mechanist in mind. If Mechanist didn't exist, this change wouldn't exist either.

You somehow found a way to complain on one of the best changes to ranger in a while. Well done.
Also this idea is a part of the promised Untamed changes and pretty sure mech wasn't mentioned when we got the info a month ago. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Says so in the patchnotes:
"The untamed elite specialization's Unleash Pet F1, F2, and F3 skills may not be set to autoattack; this function only applies to the pet's natural skills."

You somehow found a way to complain on one of the best changes to ranger in a while. Well done.
Also this idea is a part of the promised Untamed changes and pretty sure mech wasn't mentioned when we got the info a month ago. 

They're right, you know. There is very little chance that these changes would have been thought about if mechanist didn't exist- think about who is in charge right now and their history, what they've said and done with this game in the past.

Are the changes good? Absolutely, they're wonderful! Does that mean that they were done for a good reason or with ranger specific intent? Probably not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Fwog.9387 said:

I am curious. They changed the pet bar to be able to auto attack now, but the unleashed untamed abilities still cannot do that. I am curious if that is a bug or not. Could be intentional but when i saw the changes, i figured it was aimed specifically at untamed to make it a bit easier to play. Though if it doesn't work when unleashed. Not really. 

think that untamed skills are more utility than anything else, boon rip, shadow step and a projectile block, so you want to be able to use them yourself allwais

• Like 4

I missed the note. It doesn't even make sense on mechanist. Untamed is APM heavy so allowing it on untamed would have made more sense. The only skills mechanist wants to auto cast on the mech are the f2 skills for condi and support. If you set the others you waste CC, golem shoots at nothing sometimes, or you waste your boons / barrier. 

• Like 2

I will point out Unleashed Pet skills can hit quite hard. You can very easily chain it with Greatsword's 2 > 5 > 2 combo to have F1 and F2 immediately after each Greatsword 2 to burst up to 20k each time if you can chain it well in with CC. I can see it being like, say, Scourge's shade. Effective in their own right with good cool down and something you'd rather not waste by spamming off cooldown by auto casting it.

• Haha 2

Ah patch notes are a little bit messy this last time around, I did not see this either.

Now that F1-F3 can be set on auto, I would say they should be brought to core, soulbeast and Druid.
It makes no sense to have this only available to unwanted the same as the nerf to the drakes tail swap was made baseline and not only for untamed.

I agree it would have been good if unleashed pet skills could be set on auto, the F1 can it perfectly be. But I am more keen on the idea of unleash pet skills to behave like ambushes on just the next skill and then revert back to normal skills so the pet doesn’t loose all the dps and utility. In that case i would be fine with them not being able to be set on auto. 

Now mobile spirits and undeveloped redesign would a fine news to hear. If we get this F1-F3 baseline at least we could say unplayed brought something nice for the ranger. 

Step in the right direction.

But I think it would be fair to give base ranger full pet control as well at this point.

Remove it from druid but give them back their pet stats. Soulbeast and untamed can keep the control as well.

I think that would make ranger as a whole more enjoyable.

Then add pet stat scaling that scales from your chosen stats based on the pets archetype. 

Edited by InsaneQR.7412
  • Like 4

I tried untamed a while back and was puzzled why my jacaranda stopped zapping people - then i realised it lost the ability to use its own attacks. Adding in the autocast for those is a big improvement to untamed, especially as those attacks need to fire off every few seconds - as they do when a soulbeast uses such a pet.

1 hour ago, chronometria.3708 said:

I tried untamed a while back and was puzzled why my jacaranda stopped zapping people - then i realised it lost the ability to use its own attacks. Adding in the autocast for those is a big improvement to untamed, especially as those attacks need to fire off every few seconds - as they do when a soulbeast uses such a pet.

Couldnt agree more been maining Untamed since came out. having autocast back makes things far easier for me in fractals and raids.

This is something that we ranger mains have wanted forever - better control of our pets. The only reason I think anet hasn't added this to other elite specs except untamed is that, if you do add it, untamed really doesn't have anything unique going for it. Right now it's still just a better version of core ranger.

The auto-cast was a small step in the right direction for pet management, but as far as untamed goes overall I think they need to focus next on improving hammer. It's *almost* there.. it just needs an evade. I think even if they just made the hammer leap an evade as well, it would start seeing some use.

1 hour ago, Fabrenntsich.9270 said:

I don't think it was a good idea. It's one main feature of the untamed elite that ppl can but also have to time their pet skills themself. As a ranger main i really dislike the change, in particular because it is a bad balance move to lower skill cap. 

Let's be honest and stop kidding ourself; giving you the option to put a 6 second feline bite on auto for PvE does not promote "lower skill cap", it removes a tedium that hasn't been prevalent on previous ranger specs.

Untamed is a PvP spec primarly. A mode where full control of all your pet skills is a great feature and no one in their right mind would put pet skills on autoattack. That's where the skill ceiling really shows, not when you're skipping a few APM on short cooldown pet skills.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Untamed is a PvP spec primarly. A mode where full control of all your pet skills is a great feature and no one in their right mind would put pet skills on autoattack. That's where the skill ceiling really shows, not when you're skipping a few APM on short cooldown pet skills.

Is it thou.... 

In any case, F1-F3 user selectable should not be the unique aspect of the unDeveloped. This should go baseline as core, let's call it "small token of anet good will and more to come after 9 years of neglect" .

UnWanted needs a full rework and offer something, period. Aside the point we did not need another PvP spec, we need an WvW one for big squads. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fabrenntsich.9270 said:

I don't think it was a good idea. It's one main feature of the untamed elite that ppl can but also have to time their pet skills themself. As a ranger main i really dislike the change, in particular because it is a bad balance move to lower skill cap. 

It's optional.  If you don't like the mechanic, then don't use it.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Fabrenntsich.9270 said:

It's literally a toggle, how does it lower the skill cap (which is already very high for good DPS untamed, it's on some weaver level stuff right now in terms of APM) in a way that isn't needed? You don't have to use it, there's some skills you'll want to be autoed (most of the time), like a drake's chomp skill.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, Lazze.9870 said:

Let's be honest and stop kidding ourself; giving you the option to put a 6 second feline bite on auto for PvE does not promote "lower skill cap", it removes a tedium that hasn't been prevalent on previous ranger specs.

I know that making things easier counts as quality of life improvement in PvE :classic_laugh: I was talking about competitive gamemodes.

Edited by Fabrenntsich.9270
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Is it thou.... 

In any case, F1-F3 user selectable should not be the unique aspect of the unDeveloped. This should go baseline as core, let's call it "small token of anet good will and more to come after 9 years of neglect" .

UnWanted needs a full rework and offer something, period. Aside the point we did not need another PvP spec, we need an WvW one for big squads. 

That's what Anet devs themselves have stated and that's the mode where it has been decent since day 1. Although different pve builds abusing the CC cooldown trait are starting to crawl up.

I know we need a WvW spec. That's what I wanted out of it. But at this point it's a greater chance of Anet buffing druid into being a competent support option than Untamed being reworked into a proper meta alternative for WvW squads.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, Fabrenntsich.9270 said:

Sorry nothing in EoD was done with PvP in mind or it was done super poor. 

Doesn't really matter what you think about that, Anet has specifically stated that Untamed was made with PvP in mind.

By putting your pet skills on auto, then sure, yeah, you get a lower skill floor, but you also end up with a significantly lower skill ceiling as well. Those players aren't gonna outperform those who learn to take full advantage of the spec. So why care? Putting the pet on auto isn't gonna be the difference between reaching diamond or not.

Getting the strength of thieves without rly giving up what makes ranger strong and also still missing what makes thief weak feels good and is fun to play with.

It's one player port and one pet port that both require targets. It's still nowhere near the mobility of classes with multiple ground targeted ports.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

-This is not only a big improvement in quality of life for rangers,  its also a huge buff for the Untamed spec.

-Now the pets will rotate their base skills while unleashed and will not be limited to AA only. 

-The Active F1-F3 while pet is unleashed are the Ranger's skills and not pet skills. They scale with Ranger's stats and proc traits and runes which effect the rangers only.  So no reason to make it automatic.

-For example, now you can take a pet like a Hawk(with the low CD on F2). Make slash, Swoop and Lacerating Slash on autopilot but not the F3(its just swiftness that reduce DPS, this skill sue on command), make the pet Unleashed, get all the damage skills+ the extra damage bonuses + the new active skills. You have a real damage machine. 

Edited by LughLongArm.5460

On 8/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Fwog.9387 said:

Why would you even want to auto attack the unleashed skills, you only unleash pets for a tiny duration to spam those skills and then switch back.

Also the only normal pet skill worth assigning as an auto attack is F1 (sometimes F2) otherwise everything else is great now that you can cast it when ever.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:47 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Is it thou.... 

I only use Untamed in WvW, with either the duel Hammer or Longbow. It is amazingly tanking as appose the Soulbeast which dies very quickly.

Edited by Mell.4873

I'm confused by people saying this is only available for Untamed. I just checked on a core ranger and I can still set the F2 ability to auto-attack and don't need to do it for the others (the ones which would be F1 and F3 on Untamed) because the pet already uses those on their own.

I can't set F1, F2 and F3 to auto-attack on Soulbeast while merged, but as someone else said those are the ranger's skills not the pet's so, it makes sense they have to be activated manually. When unmerged I can set F2 to auto-attack just like on Untamed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Why would you even want to auto attack the unleashed skills, you only unleash pets for a tiny duration to spam those skills and then switch back.

Also the only normal pet skill worth assigning as an auto attack is F1 (sometimes F2) otherwise everything else is great now that you can cast it when ever.

I only use Untamed in WvW, with either the duel Hammer or Longbow. It is amazingly tanking as appose the Soulbeast which dies very quickly.

Care to share the build? Just curiosity you know, soulbeast can be very tanky too by sacrificing all the damage and hitting like a wet noodle.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, anduriell.6280 said:

Care to share the build? Just curiosity you know, soulbeast can be very tanky too by sacrificing all the damage and hitting like a wet noodle.

Agreed; duel anything in WvW though screams meme (no offense), as only time I've heard of duel identical weapon set working is raid 'rotations'.  

For the topic though, I agree with almost always a need to put the F1 on auto, unless its useful like smokescale KD.  I'd probably just put smoke assault on auto though as no longer care when to really time it for gap closer since you can do that with unleashed F1. 

But there are cases for auto-attack pet skills, I'm not sure I agree they have anything to do with skill ceiling / floor, because some pet attacks are just so low impact that micromanaging them is useless (i.e. everything feline outside the F2s).  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1