Anniversary sale 2022 [Merged]

22 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I mean you already paid extra through the gems then and used those to purchase what you wanted it sounds like.

And B2P just as in Buy to Play opposed to Free to Play or Subscription based.

The only thing I purchased with cash are the expansions. Bought standard editions for them all. All items bought from Gem store were purchased with ingame gold to gems conversions. Upgraded EoD with Deluxe Upgrade. All LW seasons either free or with ingame earned gold to gems. Any additional purchases from the Gem Store (Character slots, templates, bag slots, shared inventory slots, bank tabs, Lounge passes, etc., etc., etc.) were all done the same way.

At least for me, there's no negative effects. Just straight purchased of 3 standard expansions only.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

In GW2 the subscription fee is not replaced, for me.  There is pretty much nothing I want in the gem shop.  I buy the expansions in the most expensive option, because it is the only money I spend on this game.  They give me like 4,000 gems and it takes until the next expansion to spend them.  I rarely use the skins that I get for free, I certainly am not paying for any. Other than shared inventory slots, or the occasional bank tab, what would I buy?  

For me, this game has no fee.  😎

(I assume B2P is a pay to play or pay to win type thing? Mr Google failed me)

I mean, usually you'd find the people who do the research or who can control themselves don't have issues with spending on a whim/ many other reasons, its more about the average player who can't control themselves or don't have the time to farm gold. GW2 would not exist without people buying gems at the cash shop. Someone has to do it. Its been proven that games doing this earn more then games that don't by far, I mean look at Genshin, made billions, a "free game". They'd have made less if it was a sub game. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I mean you already paid extra through the gems then and used those to purchase what you wanted it sounds like.

And B2P just as in Buy to Play opposed to Free to Play or Subscription based.

The last expansion was like $70, so other than the original game download, I paid for 3 expansion... maybe I am out $250 in 10 years.  When my son and I played Ultima online  I paid $40 a month for our 4 accounts.  I much prefer the GW model.

If people cannot control their spending - it is not my fault, and not my problem. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

The last expansion was like $70, so other than the original game download, I paid for 3 expansion... maybe I am out $250 in 10 years.  When my son and I played Ultima online  I paid $40 a month for our 4 accounts.  I much prefer the GW model.

If people cannot control their spending - it is not my fault, and not my problem. 

Doesn't change that the cash shop is a replacement for the subscription model and is not just a win-win situation, it affects you whether you spend money on it or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Doesn't change that the cash shop is a replacement for the subscription model and is not just a win-win situation, it affects you whether you spend money on it or not.

But if there was a sub fee, it would not be optional.  Any gear in the gem store is optional.  So no fee... unless you want to pay. And a lot of games with sub fees still have some kind of cash shop. So that is a lose-lose. GW2 gives us the option to spend or not. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:22 AM, PancakeMix.9604 said:

All content WoW you can currently get for $15 a month, all expansions currently free, 50 character slots (each of which comes with the ability to have 450 item storage slots not including material storage). WoW doesn't charge for old expansions and neither has FF. And this is not even mentioning WoW gets more raid bosses and dungeons in a single expansion that GW has ever had over the entire 10 year period....

That is true for new players but i paid for every kitten expansion when it came out since the burning crusade thats a lot of cash on top of 14 years of sub fees

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

But if there was a sub fee, it would not be optional.  Any gear in the gem store is optional.  So no fee... unless you want to pay. And a lot of games with sub fees still have some kind of cash shop. So that is a lose-lose. GW2 gives us the option to spend or not. 

Optional if you decide to opt out from it and take the hit.. if you want an equal experience to WoW you have to spend a fair amount of money to get the same quality of life. 

Not spending means dealing with the limitations and issues that come with it, it's still a negative effect.

Plus WoW tokens can also be earned through gameplay.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Optional if you decide to opt out from it and take the hit.. if you want an equal experience to WoW you have to spend a fair amount of money to get the same quality of life. 

Not spending means dealing with the limitations and issues that come with it, it's still a negative effect.

Plus WoW tokens can also be earned through gameplay.

I have no idea how WoW works, I tried it when it first launched and was bored with the game and graphics within a few hours. 

But in the GW2 gem store there is nothing I need.  A bunch of shiny pixels? No, thanks.  I did get a couple bank tabs, and backpack slots, but most of that came with the expansions. There is no fee to play GW2 unless you want to pay for unneeded shiny extras. I have found no need to spend extra money.  Glad the option is there for those that want it, but none of it is required. 😎

16 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

So in other news do you think the free mount skin for the anniversary will be a mount select or a special gw2 themed mount?

My bet is special GW2 mount.

Like the dragon throne, the dragon t-shirt, the dragon over the victory rock, the dragon on the cape, the dragons on the shoulders, gloves, and head of the decade armor, and the dragon fireworks, I expect it will be a Springer with dragons shaved into its fur.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I have no idea how WoW works, I tried it when it first launched and was bored with the game and graphics within a few hours. 

But in the GW2 gem store there is nothing I need.  A bunch of shiny pixels? No, thanks.  I did get a couple bank tabs, and backpack slots, but most of that came with the expansions. There is no fee to play GW2 unless you want to pay for unneeded shiny extras. I have found no need to spend extra money.  Glad the option is there for those that want it, but none of it is required. 😎

I don't think bank tabs, backpacks slots are really 'shinies' as much as 'essentials'.. before you even hit level 80 as a new player you'll be constantly managing your inventory every 5 minutes and your bank will very quickly max out on materials.

You don't run into these issues in games without a cash shop, it's creating an inconvenience to sell convenience and people refuse to acknowledge it.

Edit: Would love for the people who leave confused reactions to every single one of my posts to actually come up with some arguments themselves.

Edited by Miragen.6127
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

I dont care how other games work. I play since 2012 and buy sometime stuff with real money to support the game. 

So back to topic now. Will there be any sale this year? Somehow there is no Info about it. I still need 3 Items from the gem store.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I don't think bank tabs, backpacks slots are really 'shinies' as much as 'essentials'.. before you even hit level 80 as a new player you'll be constantly managing your inventory every 5 minutes and your bank will very quickly max out on materials.

You don't run into these issues in games without a cash shop, it's creating an inconvenience to sell convenience and people refuse to acknowledge it.

Edit: Would love for the people who leave confused reactions to every single one of my posts to actually come up with some arguments themselves.

Yeah you'd love for them to do that, wouldn't you? 

Reaction system on this forum needs to be thrown into the sun. Discourages discussion, encourages spamming them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

My bet is special GW2 mount.

Like the dragon throne, the dragon t-shirt, the dragon over the victory rock, the dragon on the cape, the dragon on the shoulders and head of the decade armor, and the dragon fireworks, I expect it will be a Springer with dragons shaved into its fur.

I would love to have a dragon skin like this that would be cool , it would also be themed for cantha https://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Fantasy-Chinese-Tapestries-Aesthetic/dp/B0B1M3FC2D

On 8/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, Miragen.6127 said:

It really isn't as bad as you make it out to be. I personally have played the base game for about a year before I finally bought the expansions (now I'm on my 5th year), I find it pretty easy to manage the inventory since most things you'd be getting are either bags / chests you gotta open, junk or materials. You open the chests, you press compact in the inventory to automatically store the materials and you go to any merchant and press ONE button "sell junk" and there you go, free inventory. I'd largely prefer to have a limit on my inv space rather than an unlimited inventory where I have to scroll down for miles to get to the bottom of it. 

Your mats storage is full ? well guess what, you sell them if you don't need them. There is no way you'd get a full stack back in 5 min.

Account upgrades like bank and bag slots are mainly for convenience, you don't HAVE to get them, I personally have never bought a bag slot because I've never needed it, but some do and that's also fine. A full inventory comes down to whether the player knows how to manage their inventory or hoards stuff and complains about the game wanting to steal his money.

and if you do want gemstore items, all you need is a one time purchase of one of the expansions and you'll have access to something called Currency Exchange which is basically the possibility to exchange in-game currency to gems. This is literally the most F2P game available with the base game being 100% free. The amazing team working on gw2 also need to make a living so I don't think it's unreasonable that there is a one time purchase for the expansions and all the content they're offering.

So yeah, the confused reactions are justified because this is like complaining about something just for the sake of complaining.

On another note, I find it comical how hard you're trying all over the forum to get people to hate the game with your 100+ posts when you've barely given it a chance. If you don't like the game, please move on to another game and stop spreading misinformation and being such a hateful person. You can't change anyone's mind when you complain about stuff you have no clue about.

Edited by Ella.7681
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:45 AM, Miragen.6127 said:

Looking at your previous posts it looks like you joined the forums specifically to complain about costs and the game not being completely F2P. but if you had any amount of patience you could get all of those "conveniences" without spending a single penny. If you don't like the model of the game, then don't play it. no one will miss you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Ella.7681 said:

It really isn't as bad as you make it out to be. I personally have played the base game for about a year before I finally bought the expansions (now I'm on my 5th year), I find it pretty easy to manage the inventory since most things you'd be getting are either bags / chests you gotta open, junk or materials. You open the chests, you press compact in the inventory to automatically store the materials and you go to any merchant and press ONE button "sell junk" and there you go, free inventory. I'd largely prefer to have a limit on my inv space rather than an unlimited inventory where I have to scroll down for miles to get to the bottom of it. 

Your mats storage is full ? well guess what, you sell them if you don't need them. There is no way you'd get a full stack back in 5 min.

Account upgrades like bank and bag slots are mainly for convenience, you don't HAVE to get them, I personally have never bought a bag slot because I've never needed it, but some do and that's also fine. A full inventory comes down to whether the player knows how to manage their inventory or hoards stuff and complains about the game wanting to steal his money.

and if you do want gemstore items, all you need is a one time purchase of one of the expansions and you'll have access to something called Currency Exchange which is basically the possibility to exchange in-game currency to gems. This is literally the most F2P game available with the base game being 100% free. The amazing team working on gw2 also need to make a living so I don't think it's unreasonable that there is a one time purchase for the expansions and all the content they're offering.

So yeah, the confused reactions are justified because this is like complaining about something just for the sake of complaining.

On another note, I find it comical how hard you're trying all over the forum to get people to hate the game with your 100+ posts when you've barely given it a chance. If you don't like the game, please move on to another game and stop spreading misinformation and being such a hateful person. You can't change anyone's mind when you complain about stuff you have no clue about.

Agreed on bag slots. Get a full set of 18 slot, and the standard number is fine.

I definitely disagree on bank slots. Pursuing a lot of things requires managing a collection of items that aren’t materials. As you go, some of these things will drop while you’re pursuing something else, so you’ll need to save them.

Then there’s exotic and ascended gear boxes that drop and you don’t need immediately, but will help you in a month when you switch up your build on one of your characters.

The initial single bank tab is painfully small if you’re going to do level 80 stuff for any length of time.

1 hour ago, King.3720 said:

Looking at your previous posts it looks like you joined the forums specifically to complain about costs and the game not being completely F2P. but if you had any amount of patience you could get all of those "conveniences" without spending a single penny. If you don't like the model of the game, then don't play it. no one will miss you.

I came to the forum to voice my opinion on the matter, but I understand that in the Guild wars 2 community criticism is just dismissed as complaining, and something that makes me a hater, a hateful person who should not play the game, move on and who will not be missed.

At least I can say that due to the warm welcome I also won't miss the community in that case.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

i think unfortunately it will take lots of time until the next discount offer for expansions or ls will appear.

all the steamers now just bought the package for 100 bucks. imagine what anger it would cause if they see the same game on anets website suddenly with some awesome dicount...

maybe if we are lucky we will see some more path of fire + heart of thorns half price in one of the next amazon prime promotions as there are 3 more to come over the next few month.

maybe another heroic edition giveaway like nvidia or such.

but everything else will rather meet the steam offers.