Why is there still no paid armor class change?

18 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Simple. They may look the same, but they are not done the same way.

If they looks the same means that the mesh is the same so it can be used on other weights, like the metal legion shirt for example.

Unless they did some weird dumb class for each piece with itemid-allowedskinidlist-weightclass-stats hardcoded in them 🙈

• Confused 7

27 minutes ago, PinkTacoLover.7603 said:

If they looks the same means that the mesh is the same so it can be used on other weights, like the metal legion shirt for example.

Unless they did some weird dumb class for each piece with itemid-allowedskinidlist-weightclass-stats hardcoded in them 🙈

I believe that's exactly what they did.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I believe that's exactly what they did.

Nah, they didn't do that, but they did screw up armor interchangeability, because non-medium coats have "pants" own the coat tail, while medium armor has chests own it. And a few other niggling details like that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I'd prefer they'd just let us mix skins. ESO was able to do that change ages ago and still jelly. Anyone worried about clipping shouldn't be cuz there'd actually be less of it since we'd have more buttcapeless options. I still recall there being little to no issues with mixing them back in ancient times when preview allowed it.

Elder Scrolls Online didn't change anything, it's always worked that way.

As I understand it GW2 has 3 different 'templates' which armour skins have to fit - one for each armour weight which each has it's own parameters (the most noticable being where the cut-off point between chest and leg pieces are - it's a different point for each one) whereas ESO has always had just 1 for all their armour pieces.

Various people at Anet have previously said they could do that, but it would involve re-making all the armour pieces so they all fit the same template, which would be a lot of work and slow down everything else the art team needs to do.

I suppose it's always possible. They said a similar thing about Season 1 - that bringing it back permanently would be about as much work as making a new season so they couldn't afford to do that. Now it seems they've found a time when they could. (Maybe because EoD apparently sold very well, so they could afford the hit to income from spending time re-releasing stuff instead of making something new.) But I wouldn't expect the armour system to be re-worked any time soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

OP didn't ask for mix-and-match but other posters on this thread did.  See the post immediately above mine.

Ok sorry for ignoring random demands of replies and responding to the OP then. 

It doesnt change the follow up question that people are so "confused" with though, still curious whats convoluted about the idea of the first gear piece you put on from naked deciding the weight and how that is rife with potential issues since it would handle just like now after that point.

Unless Astralporing is suggesting the issue is people stripping naked.

Which I can kind of see, but given the fashion sense of most people its hardly worse.

• Confused 6

It is crazy the amount of negative reactions a simple request for being able to have access to more cosmetics for outfits for all.

I agree if you like a heavy helm it shouldn't make a difference cosmetic wise. Outfits are not a solution as they overtake the entire appearance not a piece.

The OP wasn't asking for anything revolutionary, a lot of games simply don't have this strange restriction. What a weird response to wanting cosmetic options lol. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

25 minutes ago, Voyant.1327 said:

It is crazy the amount of negative reactions a simple request for being able to have access to more cosmetics for outfits for all.

I agree if you like a heavy helm it shouldn't make a difference cosmetic wise. Outfits are not a solution as they overtake the entire appearance not a piece.

The OP wasn't asking for anything revolutionary, a lot of games simply don't have this strange restriction. What a weird response to wanting cosmetic options lol. 

It's not a simple request.  In order to implement this suggestion, Anet would have to re-do all of the armors from scratch which would take years of work (we already know it takes around 9 months just to make ONE armor set).

So, yeah, it may not be revolutionary, but it is certainly not a simple request.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's not a simple request.  In order to implement this suggestion, Anet would have to re-do all of the armors from scratch which would take years of work (we already know it takes around 9 months just to make ONE armor set).

So, yeah, it may not be revolutionary, but it is certainly not a simple request.

To reiterate, the request OP had would require nothing except a way to set which weight you have. Exactly zero armors would have to be remade because the game doesnt work like that.

A human female mesmer dressed in light armor is the same as a human female mesmer dressed in heavy armor because that would be the eqvivalent to a human female warrior in the same heavy armor. We are artificially locked to a weight.

To put it in even simpler perspective, Anet could say tomorrow that guardians now use light armor. You log on, you're naked and have to re-equip armor. Do you think they have to remake any of the light armors? Yes or no.

While I dont agree with it being a paid feature, I cant believe I have to defend this when I'm normally opposite to threadstarters because of stupid ideas that as you say, arent simple.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 5

I personally wouldn't use it if it were to be implemented. A medium-armor profession wearing light-armor or heavy-armor pieces to me sounds a bit like a Ranger using other professions' skills. Concept-wise it doesn't make sense to me, and I wouldn't want it. 

But I do get why you, OP, and many other players want it, though, and if it was possible to actually vote and have it done, I would still vote yes.

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Haha 1

I would love to put T3 Heavy Charr armor on my thief, but don't know if that should be a thing to put resources in, and also how would that work. It was mentioned that all weights are made diffrently and it is true, so maybe some gem store feature (so it actually pays off), that would give you little menu under each equipment template to change what weight of armor it can equip. No mix matching. It could bring some money for a-net as some players that plays only they mains would probably buy this and some weight restricted skins from gem store just as fresh bread. (I know i would). But i am no economist to know if it would truly pay off the effort and resources put into it, so just as much as I would like to see it done, I will remain sceptical if this is what the game really needs, at least for now.

1 hour ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I personally wouldn't use it if it were to be implemented. A medium-armor profession wearing light-armor or heavy-armor pieces to me sounds a bit like a Ranger using other professions' skills. Concept-wise it doesn't make sense to me, and I wouldn't want it. 

It's already in the game though. Isnt say a longbow dragonhunter just a longbow ranger with another professions skills and wearing heavy armor, lol. Well except the pet. But no one care about the pet.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

A medium-armor profession wearing light-armor or heavy-armor pieces to me sounds a bit like a Ranger using other professions' skills.

Theres the tp skins that can be used by any class

5 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Nah, they didn't do that, but they did screw up armor interchangeability, because non-medium coats have "pants" own the coat tail, while medium armor has chests own it. And a few other niggling details like that.

Fix:

Hire some freshgraduate artist for potato$/h that can use photoshop to add an alpha channel to the texture on the right place

• Confused 5

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

If you *CHANGE* your entire character/loadout armor weight, there is no need to redo anything; no armor pieces of differing weights ever interact.

The OP outright states it as "change weight" not "just let us use any weight always on any character".

5 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

If you *CHANGE* your entire character/loadout armor weight, there is no need to redo anything; no armor pieces of differing weights ever interact.

The OP outright states it as "change weight" not "just let us use any weight always on any character".

Armour rating differs per weight. Light armour has less defence than heavy. And condi mesmer with base defensive stats of heavy armour.... Oh boy....

• Confused 2

The simplest approach is probably some sort of custom outfit made from skins you have unlocked.  As an outfit it avoids a bunch of other problems. Biggest roadblock is probably figuring out how dyes would work. As for monetization ... Outfit Templates

Character bound of course $_$.

5 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Too much defensiveness from the community over such a light topic is all. Like really a bunch of negative reactions for cosmetic request.

It's not just cosmetic, it's part of gameplay as well. At some point, players start to learn what skin is what weight, by skin itself, general look or some quirks in skin system. It's very useful in WvW when you need to decide if second guy coming to help guy I am fighting is worth the hastle, or it is a theif/mesmer, which will dance around invisible annoying the hell out of me. New non-weight dependant skins and outfits already are throwing mist over who is running at me in WvW, there is no need to make WvW luck based game, when players have to guess who is running at you without good way of seeing general idea of class from afar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I'm saying the exact opposite 😄 

Ok then I guess current GW2 makes no sense to you concept wise since every profession is using another another professions skills from the point of view of one profession (and in some cases, on another armor weight) 😛

Anyway I missed the comment above mine with it being part of the gameplay and I *would* agree with that... if the year was 2013. Nowadays, armor has such a wide look with so many flashy extras that the actual looks is... well, just flashy. With the addition of outfits (ie wearing "heavy" armor on a light class etc) it's just an obsolete way of looking at the game.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

This would be a great overhaul of the base game in time for Steam release.

There are more important things they should do for the Steam release. 
I don’t really want or need an armor class change. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1