In your opinion, what talent tree schold be reworked cuz it's underperform/is chosed by you the rarest compare to other talent trees?

Noah Salazar.5430

Engineer  

73 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what core engineer talent tree schold be reworked cuz it's underperform/is chosed by you the rarest compare to other talent trees?

• Tools (mobility)
    • Alchemy (support/utility)
    • Inventions (support/utility)
    • Firearms (power/condi)
    • Explosives (power)

In my opinion tools (tallent tree) schold be reworked like explosives in past

i'm not using it in any game mode, and only use for it is in pvp/wvw for explosive eterance spam 

I wuld like it to be reworked for some kind of condi traitline, as only firearms+ 1 trait in explosives effect conditions, what is a bit lame as most of your kit's are condi themed same as pistol

How about you enginner mains?

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430

• Noah Salazar.5430 changed the title to In your opinion, what talent tree schold be reworked cuz it's underperform/is chosed by you the rarest compare to other tallent trees?

Tools is really, really, really situational so probably that, yeah.

Bit the same issue as the Acro line on Thief, it shares a theme with an Elite but the Elite blows it out of the water completely.

In this case Tools -> Scrapper.

For Thief its Acro -> Daredevil.

• Like 3

• Noah Salazar.5430 changed the title to In your opinion, what talent tree schold be reworked cuz it's underperform/is chosed by you the rarest compare to other talent trees?

I think tools is pretty decent though the grandmaster traits kind of stink. The problem is it is overshadowed by firearms and explosions, specifically AAR, because of their passive dps increases. I voted for inventions because I see no reason to ever use it unless I want Mecha Legs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Yaki.9563 said:

I see no reason to ever use it unless I want Mecha Legs.

inventions are mostly used in healing boon builds (protection, condi cleanse, 250 heal stats, medical dispersion field 33%) 

both by ham, and hqs

tools can kinda synergy with explosives but idk

i wuld like to see it synergy bit better, or change for full condi tree

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 2

Definitely Tools. Outside of some niche pvp builds, no one uses Tools. Anything Tools can do, Explosives and Firearms does it massively better. It also doesn’t help that Tools is the gadget traitline and gadgets aren’t good. The traits themselves are also kinda weird and don’t really synergize with anything.

I recently wrote up some suggestions on what I’d like to see in a reworked Tools specialization, and since the devs are looking at shoring up the core experience, I hope we’ll get to see some changes in October.

2 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

I think tools is pretty decent though the grandmaster traits kind of stink. The problem is it is overshadowed by firearms and explosions, specifically AAR, because of their passive dps increases. I voted for inventions because I see no reason to ever use it unless I want Mecha Legs.

Tools has been overshadowed by Firearms and Explosives since 2015, long before AAR was meta.

• Like 1

Inventions, in my oppinion. That traitline seems more play, than Tools, that is correct, but it is never picked on its own. It is anti-synergistic with itself, and whenever we have something, that a-net deems nerfworthy in competitive modes, it is often an alchemy+inventions build. (like sidenode mech, decap scrapper, prot holo... even support scrapper in wvw) The line needs a rework, because it is either worthless, or part of an unhealthy build. There is no inbetween.

Close second would be Tools. A few traits need to be changed, a few need numerical changes.

• Like 2

I think it would be better to use the word adjust or improve when talking about skills and traits because saying "rework" implies a complete change in function which I think should only be done if the skill or trait is fundamentally broken. Most skills and traits that people don't use are not fundamentally broken just under-powered.

I think the Inventions and Tools trait-lines need to be improved a bit. Most traits in Inventions are fine but there are a few traits that are super weak and never used in any game-mode. Personally I feel that they need to rework turrets which would improve the Inventions trait-line by giving it more synergy with slot skills. I wrote a post dedicated to my thoughts on turret improvement.

Edited by SleepyBat.9034
  • Like 3

Inventions. Inventions was supposed to be all about healing and defense. It's now currently something you take only to buff Alchemy, and is never taken over Alchemy for any kind of defensive build. Here's why:

- A grandmaster trait, Energy Amplifier, takes the Regeneration boon and makes it more potent while you have it on you by increasing the healing power you have by a certain amount. The trait itself is actually really good and fits the theme of the trait line, however what "invalidates" it currently are a few things. One, nowhere in the Inventions trait line itself do you get Regeneration anymore (imagine being a trait line focused on HEALING and defense and never getting any HEALING boons, HEALING KEYWORD FREAKING HEALING). The one instance of it that you got when you used your healing skill was removed and replaced with Protection, which is ok but did Regen really need to be removed from it? No. Two, Regen is currently invalidated by Resolution, which reduces the damage you take from conditions by 33% (condi prot basically). Three (and further supporting Regen being invalidated), after burning and poison conditions became stackable across all game modes including PvP, the small amounts of healing you get from the Regen boon does nothing to sustain you against condition damage anymore. Regen was just strong enough to act as the "33% condition damage reduction" boon by healing a decent amount per second while having the boon up. But because the 2 aforementioned conditions, which are the highest condition in the game and reduce your healing by 33% (respectively), have become stackable, you get the benefit of bursting people down with 3+ burning stacks as well as ramping up poison damage while also debilitating their healing input by 33%.

- Protection uptimes have been reduced and there are no flat toughness gains in the trait itself. As well as the toughness uptimes being lower (somewhat justifiable), the cooldowns are extremely long for the traits that grant it or their respective skills' cooldowns are long. We can compare this to what Ranger has on Wilderness Survival, getting a decent amount of protection for every dodge, having a fair upkeep of stamina TO dodge therefore getting more protection, AND also being able to get a nice chunk of healing per second while you have Protection up thanks to Rugged Growth. A much better "Inventions" trait line in itself already.

- Many traits in the trait line needing more defensive, healing, and/or condition removal aspects tied to them. Also, some traits as well that are still using the strange 2012 vision of "pick up the medkit bro" functionality.

- Due to Alchemy having everything that Inventions does not have (healing options from Compound Chemicals as a PASSIVE trait, being able to select healing from Regen from Comeback Cure or from being in a kit from Backpack Regenerator, Protection when being CC'd, gaining flat percentage defensive boosts when having X number of boons which is ok due to the boon generation theme that Alchemy is supposed to have, more steady condition removal due to passives and the type of skills they effect being elixirs, and much more), it currently is pretty much what Inventions should be, just merged in with Alchemy therefore being completely invalid unless wanting to bulk up Alchemy even more with the traits in Inventions that synergize well with Alchemy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2022 at 2:50 PM, Ghos.1326 said:

Inventions. Inventions was supposed to be all about healing and defense. It's now currently something you take only to buff Alchemy, and is never taken over Alchemy for any kind of defensive build. Here's why:

Here is the description of the Inventions trait-line from the wiki.

"Just a couple more twists here and...done!"

Specializing in inventions grants access to protective boons and several defensive gadgets that'll help you out of...sticky situations. From smoke bombs to proximity mines and turrets, this specialization offers a plethora of creative options for dominating the battlefield.

— In-game description

Inventions is a core specialization line for the engineer that focuses on healing, protection and improving turrets.

Why do you think Inventions should be only about healing and defense? I think it should also have some options for utility too.

Why do you think Inventions is only ran when paired with Alchemy? The way I see it, Alchemy and Inventions both have defensive options AND they have strong synergy with each other but Inventions has poor synergy when paired with Explosives, Firearms, and Tools. Alchemy is paired with Explosives, Firearms, and Tools more often then Inventions because it's better at improving its related slot skills AND its slot skills are stronger then Inventions is.

How do you make Inventions do its job better? Improve the slot skills that it has synergy with!

- A grandmaster trait, Energy Amplifier, takes the Regeneration boon and makes it more potent while you have it on you by increasing the healing power you have by a certain amount. The trait itself is actually really good and fits the theme of the trait line, however what "invalidates" it currently are a few things. One, nowhere in the Inventions trait line itself do you get Regeneration anymore (imagine being a trait line focused on HEALING and defense and never getting any HEALING boons, HEALING KEYWORD FREAKING HEALING). The one instance of it that you got when you used your healing skill was removed and replaced with Protection, which is ok but did Regen really need to be removed from it? No. Two, Regen is currently invalidated by Resolution, which reduces the damage you take from conditions by 33% (condi prot basically). Three (and further supporting Regen being invalidated), after burning and poison conditions became stackable across all game modes including PvP, the small amounts of healing you get from the Regen boon does nothing to sustain you against condition damage anymore. Regen was just strong enough to act as the "33% condition damage reduction" boon by healing a decent amount per second while having the boon up. But because the 2 aforementioned conditions, which are the highest condition in the game and reduce your healing by 33% (respectively), have become stackable, you get the benefit of bursting people down with 3+ burning stacks as well as ramping up poison damage while also debilitating their healing input by 33%.

First of all changing Reconstruction Enclosure to give Protection instead of Regeneration is good because Protection saves you more health then Regeneration heals for AND Engineers have access to less Protection then they do Regeneration. You can still get Regeneration from outside sources and skills when you run Inventions, most of our healing skills (Elixir H, Healing Turret, Medkit) already have regeneration on them as well as other utility skills (Healing Mist and Hard Light Arena). Also I don't quite understand why Resolution existing invalidates Regeneration. Saying "Regeneration does nothing to sustain you against condition damage" is not quite true, it just sustains you less then before. You can still cleanse stacked conditions at the same rate as before and you now have access to Resolution which helps prevent getting bursted by condition damage.

- Protection uptimes have been reduced and there are no flat toughness gains in the trait itself. As well as the toughness uptimes being lower (somewhat justifiable), the cooldowns are extremely long for the traits that grant it or their respective skills' cooldowns are long. We can compare this to what Ranger has on Wilderness Survival, getting a decent amount of protection for every dodge, having a fair upkeep of stamina TO dodge therefore getting more protection, AND also being able to get a nice chunk of healing per second while you have Protection up thanks to Rugged Growth. A much better "Inventions" trait line in itself already.

Overshield does make Protection stronger for Engineers though and I wouldn't say skills that grant Protection are extremely long, sure some of them are (Hard Light Arena) but you have many to make up for that.

As for Rangers Wilderness Survival traits, those need to be nerfed, far too strong so you can't use that as an excuse to buff Inventions.

Many traits in the trait line needing more defensive, healing, and/or condition removal aspects tied to them. Also, some traits as well that are still using the strange 2012 vision of "pick up the medkit bro" functionality.

Personally I think it has just enough defensive, healing, and condition removal already and doesn't need many adjustments. Also I agree that the medkit mechanic needs to go haha, I talk about how it should be replaced in the forum post I linked above.

- Due to Alchemy having everything that Inventions does not have (healing options from Compound Chemicals as a PASSIVE trait, being able to select healing from Regen from Comeback Cure or from being in a kit from Backpack Regenerator, Protection when being CC'd, gaining flat percentage defensive boosts when having X number of boons which is ok due to the boon generation theme that Alchemy is supposed to have, more steady condition removal due to passives and the type of skills they effect being elixirs, and much more), it currently is pretty much what Inventions should be, just merged in with Alchemy therefore being completely invalid unless wanting to bulk up Alchemy even more with the traits in Inventions that synergize well with Alchemy.

Here is the description of the Alchemy trait-line from the wiki.

"This one'll knock a little life into you."

Engineers that are adept in alchemy have access to various elixirs that either grant various boons or cure ailments. Use your elixirs to heal yourself on the fly or give you a little boost in combat.

— In-game description

Alchemy is a core specialization for the engineer that focuses on use of elixirs and gaining boons while losing conditions.

Key phrase: "Use your elixirs to heal yourself on the fly" aka selfish healing not shared like Inventions does. Also I wouldn't call Transmute a  "steady condition removal due to passives".

To sum it up I understand that you think Inventions deserves some improvements and I agree with you there, however I think some of your reasons are wrong.

Edited by SleepyBat.9034

On 8/15/2022 at 3:57 AM, wasss.1208 said:

It is anti-synergistic with itself, and whenever we have something, that a-net deems nerfworthy in competitive modes, it is often an alchemy+inventions build. (like sidenode mech, decap scrapper, prot holo... even support scrapper in wvw) The line needs a rework, because it is either worthless, or part of an unhealthy build. There is no inbetween.

I don't understand what you mean when you say Inventions is anti-synergistic with itself. Also I disagree with your statement that it's impossible to make Inventions properly balanced.

17 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

I don't understand what you mean when you say Inventions is anti-synergistic with itself. Also I disagree with your statement that it's impossible to make Inventions properly balanced.

I'm saying it is anti-synergestic with itself, is because it has a minor, that pops off with regen, but the line doesn't offer any. I'm not against traits, that need interaction with outside sources to work, but it's pretty sad, when the competitor for the "defensive" traitline, Alchemy, has insane interactions with itself. And that is one pain point in every buildcrafting: Alchemy is such a strong line, that it is mandatory, in PvP builds.

I say, that in my oppinion, it can't be balanced, as long as both Alchemy and Inventions isn't touched. When you want to be tanky, you pick Alchemy. When you want to be even tankier, then you pick up Inventions as well. You never pick up Inventions as the first one. They are going for the same slot, but Alchemy does it better.

19 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

but Inventions has poor synergy when paired with Explosives, Firearms, and Tools.

Wouldn't you say, that if a line can't synergise with 3 of the 5 lines, but it's also a bad pick in itself, it is a bad line? This applies to Tools as well.

How do you make Inventions do its job better? Improve the slot skills that it has synergy with!

Yes, the fact, that turrets are hot garbage, for years now doesn't help it either. And the line doesn't have any other slot skill/utility type under its belt. They need improvements/reworks, that is why I voted Inventions.

Key phrase: "Use your elixirs to heal yourself on the fly" aka selfish healing not shared like Inventions does.

It would help, if they improved Inventions ability, to work as a team support line. For example, they increased the range of Reconstruction Enclosure, and Soothing Detonation, but Clensing Synergy is still 240? Tempest Guardian and Warrior has Shouts, with 600 range. 240 and 360 is a joke compared to those, and it's incredibly unreliable in PvP.
Now if they buffed the range of every support focused trait in Inventions, and did something with Turrets, I would happily say, that other lines deserve the attention more.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, wasss.1208 said:

I'm saying it is anti-synergestic with itself, is because it has a minor, that pops off with regen, but the line doesn't offer any. I'm not against traits, that need interaction with outside sources to work, but it's pretty sad, when the competitor for the "defensive" traitline, Alchemy, has insane interactions with itself. And that is one pain point in every buildcrafting: Alchemy is such a strong line, that it is mandatory, in PvP builds.

I say, that in my oppinion, it can't be balanced, as long as both Alchemy and Inventions isn't touched. When you want to be tanky, you pick Alchemy. When you want to be even tankier, then you pick up Inventions as well. You never pick up Inventions as the first one. They are going for the same slot, but Alchemy does it better.

Wouldn't you say, that if a line can't synergise with 3 of the 5 lines, but it's also a bad pick in itself, it is a bad line? This applies to Tools as well.

Yes, the fact, that turrets are hot garbage, for years now doesn't help it either. And the line doesn't have any other slot skill/utility type under its belt. They need improvements/reworks, that is why I voted Inventions.

It would help, if they improved Inventions ability, to work as a team support line. For example, they increased the range of Reconstruction Enclosure, and Soothing Detonation, but Clensing Synergy is still 240? Tempest Guardian and Warrior has Shouts, with 600 range. 240 and 360 is a joke compared to those, and it's incredibly unreliable in PvP.
Now if they buffed the range of every support focused trait in Inventions, and did something with Turrets, I would happily say, that other lines deserve the attention more.

It is a little inconvenient to get Regeneration when you run Inventions without Alchemy but I'm not sure if it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

If Alchemy is so strong that it's mandatory in PvP then we should start by asking ourselves, why? I'm not sure why people would pick Alchemy over Inventions if they wanted to be tanky, that doesn't make much sense. I don't think Alchemy is a defensive trait-line, it's more like a selfish buff/sustain trait-line.

41 minutes ago, wasss.1208 said:

That's exactly what I was implying. I also recently realized that even if Turrets were buffed with the exception of Healing, Thumper, and Supply Crate, most of them would end up competing with other slot skills that do something similar and would become incredibly niche.

About Cleansing Synergy, back when they increased the radii of the support traits in Inventions I made a forum post requesting they increase Cleansing Synergy too but they must have missed it. You might be right about the radius bit but it looks like all Engineer support traits and skills have radius close to these, #It'sAnEngineerThing I guess.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:12 PM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Here is the description of the Inventions trait-line from the wiki.

"Just a couple more twists here and...done!"

Specializing in inventions grants access to protective boons and several defensive gadgets that'll help you out of...sticky situations. From smoke bombs to proximity mines and turrets, this specialization offers a plethora of creative options for dominating the battlefield.

— In-game description

Inventions is a core specialization line for the engineer that focuses on healing, protection and improving turrets.

Why do you think Inventions should be only about healing and defense? I think it should also have some options for utility too.

Why do you think Inventions is only ran when paired with Alchemy? The way I see it, Alchemy and Inventions both have defensive options AND they have strong synergy with each other but Inventions has poor synergy when paired with Explosives, Firearms, and Tools. Alchemy is paired with Explosives, Firearms, and Tools more often then Inventions because it's better at improving its related slot skills AND its slot skills are stronger then Inventions is.

First of all changing Reconstruction Enclosure to give Protection instead of Regeneration is good because Protection saves you more health then Regeneration heals for AND Engineers have access to less Protection then they do Regeneration. You can still get Regeneration from outside sources and skills when you run Inventions, most of our healing skills (Elixir H, Healing Turret, Medkit) already have regeneration on them as well as other utility skills (Healing Mist and Hard Light Arena). Also I don't quite understand why Resolution existing invalidates Regeneration. Saying "Regeneration does nothing to sustain you against condition damage" is not quite true, it just sustains you less then before. You can still cleanse stacked conditions at the same rate as before and you now have access to Resolution which helps prevent getting bursted by condition damage.

Overshield does make Protection stronger for Engineers though and I wouldn't say skills that grant Protection are extremely long, sure some of them are (Hard Light Arena) but you have many to make up for that.

As for Rangers Wilderness Survival traits, those need to be nerfed, far too strong so you can't use that as an excuse to buff Inventions.

Personally I think it has just enough defensive, healing, and condition removal already and doesn't need many adjustments. Also I agree that the medkit mechanic needs to go haha, I talk about how it should be replaced in the forum post I linked above.

Engineers that are adept in alchemy have access to various elixirs that either grant various boons or cure ailments. Use your elixirs to heal yourself on the fly or give you a little boost in combat.

— In-game description

Alchemy is a core specialization for the engineer that focuses on use of elixirs and gaining boons while losing conditions.

Key phrase: "Use your elixirs to heal yourself on the fly" aka selfish healing not shared like Inventions does. Also I wouldn't call Transmute a  "steady condition removal due to passives".

To sum it up I understand that you think Inventions deserves some improvements and I agree with you there, however I think some of your reasons are wrong.

The wiki was changed a while ago. At one time, it was stated in the wiki that Inventions was a "specialization that focuses on healing and defense".

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ghos.1326 said:

The wiki was changed a while ago. At one time, it was stated in the wiki that Inventions was a "specialization that focuses on healing and defense".

I don't understand. It stills says that as well as saying it improves Turrets which is what I meant by "utility".

Edited by SleepyBat.9034

Some of this I agree on. When it comes to turrets, they do need an improvement overall.

Because they are stationary things, I'd opt for increasing their defense/health and that's it.

A Wilderness Survival nerf would be nice, but general buff to Inventions would be better. Where over shield was, there once was a trait that procced Protection when you received a critical hit. That should come back, with an icd of around 25 seconds, Protection uptime of around 2s.

For the Regeneration part, it's useless currently in pvp unless you have absolutely no conditions on you whatsoever. It doesn't offer nearly what it used to in sustaining against condition damage. Also, Engineer in general is lacking with consistent condition clearing, so just clearing isn't really an optimal move, as you'd need to sacrifice many utility slots to get all of the clears you would need. the outlier here: holosmith. It has a trait that basically gives you 2-3 condition clears (depending on heat level) every 10-15 seconds.

Medkit is a great option for a little more support, but in terms of self healing, not much. but it's still a great option to choose from, though it's overshadowed by the utility the other healing skills offer, even if they may not offer any condition cleansing (unless traited, specifically referencing Elixir H).

As far as the protection vs regen thing in that passive trait in inventions, that smaller healing over time could benefit much more in the longevity of a fight compared to having 2s of protection proccing from using your heal skill. and the fact that inventions, which was supposed to be all about healing and defense, severely lacks healing in general, especially from regeneration, yet wants to buff regeneration, which it itself doesn't actually provide is...really bad.

— In-game description

I think inventions needs a little more in terms of defensive and healing. not too much though, we don't want to break it and cause it to be the next op thing out there.

medkit mechanic, yeah if only they would bin that whole idea, that would be great XD

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Ghos.1326 said:

Where over shield was, there once was a trait that procced Protection when you received a critical hit. That should come back, with an icd of around 25 seconds, Protection uptime of around 2s.

I'm not sure how I feel about this change. I really like Over Shield and I have some ideas about what could be done to it.

32 minutes ago, Ghos.1326 said:

Medkit is a great option for a little more support, but in terms of self healing, not much.

I have actually used Medkit in WvW as a roamer and it's pretty good, if a bit tricky to use at times. As for Elixir H, it's probably fine without condition cleanse built in and we can't forget about A.E.D. or Coolant Blast, both of them have built in cleanse.

38 minutes ago, Ghos.1326 said:

the fact that inventions, which was supposed to be all about healing and defense, severely lacks healing in general, especially from regeneration, yet wants to buff regeneration, which it itself doesn't actually provide is...really bad.

Yeah that does sounds kinda weak when you put it like that haha.

I think my next post will be dedicated to discussion about how Tools and Inventions could be improved.

Tools is the popular answer.  But I actually think tools has a clear theme, it's just undertuned so explosives and firearms are almost always better.

I feel like inventions needs more work...  it has like two good talents and it is basically only taken as a support and only in combination with Alchemy due to a few synergies.  It has a ton of dead talents and also has the main Turrets trait that is horrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

Tools is the popular answer.  But I actually think tools has a clear theme, it's just undertuned so explosives and firearms are almost always better.

I feel like inventions needs more work...  it has like two good talents and it is basically only taken as a support and only in combination with Alchemy due to a few synergies.  It has a ton of dead talents and also has the main Turrets trait that is horrible.

I hear ya, I'm sure explosives and firearms do need to be looked at but right now I'm writing about Inventions and Tools. I disagree that Experimental Turrets is horrible, I think the Turrets themselves need work. I recently wrote a comprehensive post about what I think needs to be done on that front. Feel free to take a look and give me any insight you may have!