Could you do PoF and EoD with Just Raptor?

Having a fun idea of leveling a new character on a new account and solely using Raptor.  I'm wondering if I can pull off completing all of the story and full map exploration without the other mounts.

Then, take that thought and if it couldnt be done, see if you can do it with just the original 4 mounts (Rapt, Spring, Manta, and Jack)

I also thought it would be interesting to see if you could get a skyscale without any other mounts, but the walkthrough said that Jackal and Portal are required to progress... but maybe if you had a friend and did "teleport to friend" you could get it to work... would be interesting to only have Skyscale on the mount bar, LOL!

Thanks for weighing in on my musings!

5 minutes ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Having a fun idea of leveling a new character on a new account and solely using Raptor.  I'm wondering if I can pull off completing all of the story and full map exploration without the other mounts.

Then, take that thought and if it couldnt be done, see if you can do it with just the original 4 mounts (Rapt, Spring, Manta, and Jack)

I also thought it would be interesting to see if you could get a skyscale without any other mounts, but the walkthrough said that Jackal and Portal are required to progress... but maybe if you had a friend and did "teleport to friend" you could get it to work... would be interesting to only have Skyscale on the mount bar, LOL!

Thanks for weighing in on my musings!

Nah you need the skimmer for the quicksand areas in desolation.

And if you own EoD you will unlock raptor and bunny by just going there so will be impossible to unlock only skyscale.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

If you want the full EoD map, you need the springer. You don’t need anything else. Skyscale just trivialises things

If you want full PoF you need raptor, springer, jackal and skimmer. Some of these are needed in the story, but I forget to hat extent, but you will need them for map exploration and if memory serves, certain hearts require them for completion.

edit: the above assumes solo and not using a Mesmer second player, although that wouldn’t help in all cases

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Nah you need the skimmer for the quicksand areas in desolation.

And if you own EoD you will unlock raptor and bunny by just going there so will be impossible to unlock only skyscale.

Hmm, trying to think in Desolation what areas that would be...  Ive been able to get around a LOT of stuff with ground mounts and gliding.... are you talking the area under the Jackal tower?

Edit: Also, that is cool about unlocking raptor and bunny.  Are they basic with no masteries, or do you get long and high jump with them?

Edited by Opopanax.1803
addendum

26 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

If you want the full EoD map, you need the springer. You don’t need anything else. Skyscale just trivialises things

If you want full PoF you need raptor, springer, jackal and skimmer. Some of these are needed in the story, but I forget to hat extent, but you will need them for map exploration and if memory serves, certain hearts require them for completion.

edit: the above assumes solo and not using a Mesmer second player, although that wouldn’t help in all cases

Yeah, assuming no portals... I just brought that up for the Skyscale scenario (it really would be funny to only have skyscale as a mount...).

I have a second account that I ran just the 4 basic mounts with no flying.  It was quite a bit more intensive and thought provoking.  I ended up getting Griffon on that one (since I dont have griffon on my skyscale account) and so it is more fun than skyscale since you cant hover and it takes more thought.

1 hour ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Hmm, trying to think in Desolation what areas that would be...  Ive been able to get around a LOT of stuff with ground mounts and gliding.... are you talking the area under the Jackal tower?

Edit: Also, that is cool about unlocking raptor and bunny.  Are they basic with no masteries, or do you get long and high jump with them?

only basic you have to train them up in the pof areas with mastery points and exp.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Yeah, assuming no portals... I just brought that up for the Skyscale scenario (it really would be funny to only have skyscale as a mount...).

I have a second account that I ran just the 4 basic mounts with no flying.  It was quite a bit more intensive and thought provoking.  I ended up getting Griffon on that one (since I dont have griffon on my skyscale account) and so it is more fun than skyscale since you cant hover and it takes more thought.

Yeah the griffon is more of a fun mount compared to the convenience of the skyscale. I climbed the big arch and the big Jade statue in Kaineng and divebombed off them, using the speed flap to whizz between buildings. Great fun. Works well in HoT too

9 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Having a fun idea of leveling a new character on a new account and solely using Raptor. 

I think you would need one more thing: A good mesmer/thief friend with skyscale and plenty of time 🙂

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes. Few mastery points and chests for achieves are locked behind sand portals, and i think some actual map completion elements may be as well.

Map completion can be done without the Jackal. I did it a few days ago without the Jackal.

However, some spots require the Skyscale to skip small puzzles intended for the Jackal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

This one is rather obvious seeing how PoF was made with these in mind and EoD needs even less than that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

If memory serves (and it may not), but I believe some vistas, poi or other map point are too high up on cliffs and ledges for anything other than springer or flight.

Come to think of it, I remember one of the hero points in NE New Kaineng being impossible to jump up to without a mount. Maybe that’s why they made some mounts unlockable in EoD. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Jackal is optional, not mandatory just for the main plot, unless OP meant full map exploration and not just story mode.

I managed to finish the story without Jackal.

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This one is rather obvious seeing how PoF was made with these in mind and EoD needs even less than that.

Actually, I dont believe you can get the mastery point in Tomb of the Ancient Kings without Griffon or a Mesmer port.

That aside, my point was that the 4 basic non-flying mounts really keep you a lot more intimate in Tyria and environs!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Actually, I dont believe you can get the mastery point in Tomb of the Ancient Kings without Griffon or a Mesmer port.

Pretty sure you can (unless something about that changed?)

That aside, my point was that the 4 basic non-flying mounts really keep you a lot more intimate in Tyria and environs!

Well, then in many cases even the 4 basic mounts trivialize a lot of the exploration aspects of the maps (probably not for PoF).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1