Pure OW PvE idea for legendary armor

Solvar.7953

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You gear up and organize in open world too. Pve is still pve. Gearing up or organizing changes absolutely nothing about that.  🤦‍♂️

but it's really a matter of degree, right? 

How many people go into raids with full exotics only. 

care to guess how many times someone is booted from a raid\strike once they find a FotM build wanting to join?

• Confused 5

3 minutes ago, tim.8632 said:

that's a pretty big stretch. I've said we can agree to disagree. 

Ain't trying to oppress you friend. sorry.

Never said you were trying to oppress me. 

Stating that something, the owners' definition in this case, is wrong is denying it.

You asked for others to make a case against your position. I am doing so. Attempting to make it personal with comments about oppression do little to counter my position.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tim.8632 said:

but it's really a matter of degree, right? 

How many people go into raids with full exotics only. 

care to guess how many times someone is booted from a raid\strike once they find a FotM build wanting to join?

I raid very little, but I can speak to the example of strike missions: An extraordinarily tiny portion of the time. Probably close to never in pug groups.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tim.8632 said:

Nope. have everything I need in game. 

58 minutes ago, tim.8632 said:

nope. that thread was about leggy armor. this one started as a three vs. four game modes. I try to keep it on topic, but we all know how things go off the rails here.

in hindsight I should have left out that I think there should be leggy armor for PvE. my bad.

46 minutes ago, tim.8632 said:

why does it have to make a difference to me? I'm not a narcissist.

37 minutes ago, tim.8632 said:

we can agree to disagree? I don't want easy. I want hard. VERY hard. like 2 years for a full set. about as long as it took for me to get my full set of leggy runes\sigil's. (didn't buy anything for them. 100% me)

sure. some want easy. not me.

Tbh I'm still baffled here. Can you explain which of these posts are true and which are not? Because from my understanding, they don't seem to be able to be all true at the same time. Initially you kept repeating it's not about you and not about your rewards, just an impartial (I guess?) usually lurking person voicing their opinion. Then it turned into how you want your leggy armor. Am I misunderstanding something between these posts?

Anyways, I still think the current distinction between 3 modes PvE/WvW/PvP is good and makes sense. Until now I still didn't see anything that would somehow convince me about the need to split gamemodes into smaller ones. As pointed out by multiple other users, it's easy to keep splitting that into ever so smaller bits, but there doesn't seem to be a reason to do it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

He flat out stated that the game owners' definition was wrong.

well, sort of. I can see how you'd come to that conclusion.

the intention was to suggest that as the game grows, and the direction of "the vision" changes, the definitions change, and maybe that should be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Any player are free to go for the wvw, spvp or pve legendary armor, weapons or trinkets at any trime.

Noone is denying anyone anything, do the content get the reward.

True enough any player can play those game modes to obtain those but you're indeed denying them the options to get the armors through another means, namely OW PvE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, tim.8632 said:

tbh I don't think I understand this question correctly. What do you mean? Are you suggesting that people are somehow repeatedly kicked from groups because they don't use some "FotM" (this term is clear to me though) build? That's... not really true. So how many times? Not a lot, if ever.

Returning the question: how many times did you participate in that content instead of repeating stories mostly coming from players not participating in it? Do you think players joining groups have somehow their builds "screened"? Because they don't.

Edited by Sobx.1758
I can't spell
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

It seems like the sides to this, and that other similar big thread out there right now (at the time of this post), ultimately comes down to whether you like a system where the pie is only a certain size to be divided up in such a way where those deemed 'more deserving' (whatever that metric be) are fewer and get most of the pie, and everyone else is left to fight over the remaining sliver of pie, or you enjoy a system where there is no pie, and everyone has access to everything.

Wanting the former, in a game, is perplexing to me. It would seem like that is the norm, what we have no control over (except the very few, and I can't imagine they are here playing this game). Would the 'fantasy' then not be a place you can come where everyone can have everything? Sharing? No taking toys and going home?

Unless the argument is we are all fundamentally creatures who attribute value to something not because of the inherent joy it brings itself, or perhaps reflecting upon the journey you took to achieve it, but rather the fact that said thing is not available to others?

I find that depressing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

I am going to be even more old school and label that there's only 2 game modes. PvP and PvE. I mean is literally in the name, player vs environment and player vs players. So no I don't agree there's 4. I mean if you want to split this I can even say there's 5. What about the JP players? RP players? You have to cut the line somewhere and anet is the one who decides it. 

I tend to go old school on this as well.  I'd say there is PvE, PvP, RP, and player vs self which would include things like jp, timed racing, achievements.

20 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

True enough any player can play those game modes to obtain those but you're indeed denying them the options to get the armors through another means, namely OW PvE.

You are right! Sorry, my uncle works at rito and I told him to not implement this way of getting legendary armor, even tho it was all planned out already in 2011.

I'll tell him I don't want to deny it anymore

Obviously /s

On another note, did you go for the legendary trinkets already? If not those provide a actually nice journey through open world until the armor gets implemented. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I tend to go old school on this as well.  I'd say there is PvE, PvP, RP, and player vs self which would include things like jp, timed racing, achievements.

Nah your pvs is still pve it is just things you do alone if you like but it is still against enviorment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Nah your pvs is still pve it is just things you do alone if you like but it is still against enviorment.

Technically true, just more self imposed I guess.  So three then.  I think mine may be based a bit on old WoW servers though...you picked one of the three. 

I do not think we need legendaries specifically for all of those, as it currently incorporates all the game modes.   I say that as a primarily open world player...I will go do a fractal or two, or a jumping puzzle, or some PvP if that's something that is part of an end goal.  I suppose an open world legendary armor set would be nice.  On par with grinding out WvW... I'm seeing lots of jumping puzzles, lots of mats, lots of events, lots of world bosses on repeat.

Edited by Farohna.6247

49 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Indeed. No one is. Nor casual OW players, nor hardcore raiders. Neither of those groups have any inherent right to have access to legendaries. But, by the same vein, you do not have any more right to have access to them than any players you try to deny it to.

Luckily everyone has the exact same access to it, so not sure what this strawman (or rather "no u!") is supposed to be doing here? 🤨

Players going for an ingame reward like legendary armor don't think they're somehow entitled to it, they just go play the content of the game and get the reward.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just to quickly field a guess. I think the OP may be trying to suggest we should have 4 modes for balance, which in some ways isnt that horrible of a suggestion. I just mean in OW things tend to be 99% solo facerole (not all big events, some mobs r hard solo) compared to the other modes.

That said, I think OW should probably not change too much because its what people are used to and seem to mostly enjoy. Instanced, bounties, big events give the rest stuff that can be harder without ruining the general players fun. So I kinda think its fine with 3 modes.

The only way I would support the idea of 4 modes is if Devs thought it would make balancing for each mode easier and better somehow. Like if it simplified trying to balance classes in a way that lets people in casual ow have the fun they want and also keep things in instanced/endgame balanced and fun in its own right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xerac.1542 said:

On another note, did you go for the legendary trinkets already? If not those provide a actually nice journey through open world until the armor gets implemented. 

I have all the armors, weapons and trinkets I currently need. But for me, it's an unending journey. GW2Efficiency tells me I have 42 of 269 (15.6%) Legendaries worth 41,995g 11s 07c.

Some of my legendary items: https://ibb.co/xhHZh85   (This is for those who may think I'm just saying I already own legendary armors just to get OW options).

And yes, I've done them and as a matter of fact, I'd enjoyed every single part of obtaining them all including the long hours of grinding.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

I have all the armors, weapons and trinkets I currently need. But for me, it's an unending journey. GW2Efficiency tells me I have 42 of 269 (15.6%) Legendaries worth 41,995g 11s 07c.

Some of my legendary items: https://ibb.co/xhHZh85   (This is for those who may think I'm just saying I already own legendary armors just to get OW options).

And yes, I've done them and as a matter of fact, I'd enjoyed every single part of obtaining them all including the long hours of grinding.

Ah I see you want an easier way to get the other two armor sets got it.

Edit

And for the record I have less weapons then you only 2 unlocked.

All 3 armor weights tho.

Yet you dont see me starting threads with open world pve is boring map completion is boring trading post is taking to long to get gold to buy, give me another way to play how I want and get legendary weapons that way.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yet you dont see me starting threads with open world pve is boring map completion is boring trading psot is taking to long to get gold to buy, give me another way to play how I want and get legendary weapons that way.

Which is odd, because it would be a much more productive way to spend your time.  I also would guess that Open World players would happily support you (I certainly think at least WvW should get them).

Why not try to help make the game better for people who want to play like you, rather than try to stop it being better for people who want to play something else?

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

15 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Ah I see you want an easier way to get the other two armor sets got it.

Erm...I have 2 sets already. The image doesn't show all my legendary items. My 2nd set is further down the page (5 rows down and last item, 7 rows down).  Don't really need a 3rd set since I don't play medium weight class much. If there's an OW options, I would certainly entertain the idea of getting a 3rd set through that.

At no time did I say I wanted OW to be easier. Try reading my past comments. I did Raids to get my 1st set and WvW for my 2nd. I've played every single game modes, including PvP, my least favorite although I did enjoy it when I participated. But I guess no matter what you say, some people will always assume or try to twist your words to fit their narratives.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Which is odd, because it would be a much more productive way to spend your time.  I also would guess that Open World players would happily support you (I certainly think at least WvW should get them).

Why not try to help make the game better for people who want to play like you, rather than try to stop it being better for people who want to play something else?

Nothing odd about players understanding what "optional long term goals" are, so that's how they treat them instead of baiting easier/faster rewards on a forum instead.

What's odd to me though is constantly alternating between "understanding it's not needed and that experimenting with builds can be easly done with exotics" and still repeating "but it's to have more builds!" / "long term goal needs to be actual legendary or it's lame".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yet you dont see me starting threads with open world pve is boring map completion is boring trading post is taking to long to get gold to buy, give me another way to play how I want and get legendary weapons that way.

I've never complained about any of the game modes. I play this game because I enjoy every aspect of them. And NO. I did not start this thread. I'm posting in this thread because I don't see anything wrong with having another option to obtain the armors. I was originally fairly neutral about this since I have everything I need but after considerably amount of time in this thread, I'm fully supportive of an extra OW option. So there.

And would enjoy getting a 3rd set through it if it's ever implemented.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I think part of the longing for open world pve legendary armor is that it's a fun aesthetic reward. Gliders and mount skins are all shop only, legendary weapons and armor tend to be linked to pvp and raiding.

Open world folks just run out of things to keep searching for.  So making their own shiny outfits would at least be something.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, Silent.6137 said:

I've never complained about any of the game modes. I play this game because I enjoy every aspect of them. And NO. I did not start this thread. I'm posting in this thread because I don't see anything wrong with having another options to obtain the armors. I was originally fairly neutral about this since I have everything I need but after considerably amount of time in this thread, I'm fully supportive of an extra OW option. So there.

And would enjoy getting a 3rd set through it if it's ever implemented.

Only things left implemented as legendary is a second pve ring, a spvp ring, earring and a wvw earring.

Since they made the distinction in those areas already. 

• Like 2