Pure OW PvE idea for legendary armor

Solvar.7953

46 minutes ago, civokenes.3284 said:

Are new people discouraged thought? I believe a new player would think that those with legendary equipment have been playing for a long time and have earned it. 

Well , there's a notion around here that denying people a qol effect , will force them to join content .

But the problem as i said , is somewhere else  , and that skins/armor should be instead used to retain them at that mode.

copy-paste of the actual problems:

"For example in PvP , people hate the 2sec kills  , where hopefully Arenanet will step up to fix that problem in October .

Raiding have some problems at the "entry" level , such as this guy and this guy and some more that don't use he forums ."

Edit: We can use another approach . For example we can grant OW players , the qol effect but  with "yellow gear stats" effect , or if they unlock 2 different sets from different  modes they gain a new 3rd skin , or the previous 2 sets are improved visually .

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

10 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Sure it helps but it is not necessary. You can easily get multiple sets of exotic or ascended gear and stat changing ascended gear is not really expensive. 

True, but so can raiders, and they're really only gonna need meta builds in there, which are not many.

And most WvW only have a few builds, one for roaming, and one or two for zerging (for each class ofc)

Also, as someone mentioned, PvPers don't even need to experiment with builds anyway since PvP  amulets are a thing, so I don't even see the point of this convo since that proves the whole "Open World players don't need to stat change" argument is null. Because neither do they.

Edit: Someone's having a field day with alts.

Edited by Caliboom.3218
  • Like 5
  • Confused 6

Is the work required to get the Prismatic Champion's Regalia (PCR) amulet considered "too easy" to warrant one piece of legendary armor?  If not, just make that a repeatable achievement and add a vendor that sells legendary armor pieces in exchange for a PCR amulet.  I've only started work on it but it seems like a large time sink, and includes different types of content, and therefore worthy of a legendary item.  The devs obviously thought it was worthy.  Or, if you insist on it also being expensive, have a mystic forge recipe where you put in a PCR plus a few Gifts of this and that.  This wouldn't require any substantial work by the devs either.

The PCR achievement is based on doing all the open world seasons + IBS, it would be cool if there were something similar for the base game and expansions.

As I said, I've only just started on the PCR, maybe having to do it six times would be unbearable, I don't know yet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

45 minutes ago, Woof.8246 said:

Well , there's a notion around here that denying people a qol effect , will force them to join content

Noone is forcing anyone to do anything. They are offered a chance to improve their quality of life by engaging in content. If they don't want to engage in content they can't have the qol that brings. I don't see a problem in that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, civokenes.3284 said:

Noone is forcing anyone to do anything. They are offered a chance to improve their quality of life by engaging in content. If they don't want to engage in content they can't have the qol that brings. I don't see a problem in that.

True , and by implanting in in OW , they are not forced to craft it .

It will be their choice

Then we move to "the why they don't play those nodes" , which i gave my reasons  above.

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

You don’t need legendary armor to experiment with builds. 

2 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Sure it helps but it is not necessary. You can easily get multiple sets of exotic or ascended gear and stat changing ascended gear is not really expensive. 

Those are extremely poor arguments. Without context, you could easily be refering to Raids, WvW or PvP, and it'll hold true for all of them.

And suggesting having multiple sets to switch builds? Filling up your inventory with multiple sets. Really? For all your characters?

Legendary armors are QoL items and I got them so I don't have to do that no matter what game modes I'm playing. And I only need one set for each weight class which takes 0 space.

1 hour ago, civokenes.3284 said:

Seems you are ignoring all the points that various people have made regarding this issue. Try reading through the comments and you will find the answer to what you had stated.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If only that were true. Unfortunately, the issue is that to many players, engaging in that content results in a diminishment of the quality of their life.

If they don’t like, they don’t have to do it. Very simple. But if someone wants a legendary armor he has to do the stuff that is required, just like everyone else. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

If they don’t like, they don’t have to do it. Very simple. But if someone wants a legendary armor he has to do the stuff that is required, just like everyone else. 

Currently, yes. But that has nothing to do with a discussion of whether this should change (and range of acquisition options expanded) or not.

• Like 6
  • Confused 5

Despite disagreeing with most of the reasoning here why there should be an OW set, I'm not against adding a 4th set of legendary armor to the game. But those that say "it's a huge QoL improvement and allows for testing out builds" are just listing reasons why the armor is nice to have. This says "I would like the valuable thing", and not "here's why time should be spent making this happen".

But if they do it, I would absolutely not use the PvP and WvW methods of acquisition as examples of how another should be added. I said it earlier but I would have much rather seen these sets be locked behind achievements and crafting with mode-specific drops than be a strict time gate that allows for minimal interaction with the game. I believe high value items and gear should be an active goal with dedicated challenges that one needs to seek out, as opposed to passively getting access to by simply participating in the dailies one is already doing every day. This is my issue with most of the suggestions for OW armor implementation, and why adding it to the game as an incentive for the hardest content at the time made sense. 

I think achievements and collections are the best way to create meaningful goals and hurdles for rewards, so I would propose to take the existing content of OW and add collection drops and new achievements. World bosses, metas, events, etc. Maybe require some guild mission achievements and/or guild commendations to give them a bit of purpose? Story masteries? Quests that have you find drops, craft them, use them in certain encounters, deliver them to others. This also leads to an opportunity for revitalizing older content. Adding new achievements would hopefully bring new players in while also spicing it up for the 9 of us in the community who still run dungeons.

This is all of course with equivalent or greater material costs as the others, with some time-gated materials needed. 

The problem with this is that, just like now where people complain about acquisition methods for legendary armor, people will complain about PvE armor being gated behind aspects of PvE they don't like. Can we include strikes and dungeons? Some in this thread seem to think instanced PvE shouldn't be part of it, so that's out. Jumping puzzles? Even with a gold-spending alternative, people still complain about this part of the Skyscale collection. Metas? Some people can't play long enough to finish them, so there's another nope. Racing/adventure achievements? Wouldn't want to leave out anybody that doesn't own the expansions, so it's gotta be core Tyria only now. Guild missions? Not everyone wants to join a guild. There will always be complaints and people asking to get certain items the way that they want to get them, so it's hard to take stock in these requests sometimes.

All that being said, if they did make a set for OW, part of me wouldn't want it to have a nice skin to outshine the existing armors, but the fashionista part of me would definitely like the skins of a new armor set

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Only one way to get legendary armor.

EARN IT!

Raids/PvP/WvW are your choices. Either you choose one or do without.

Vet players are more valuable then a bunch of casual/new players. We pump revenue consistently for anet. New players are here and gone in a month.

If you think anet is going to lower the requirements for legendary armor just to cater to causal/new players you're wrong.

You can either accept that you will never have legendary armor or go earn it like the vets have.

Edited by Bear.9568
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

37 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

"If you don't like the idea, you don't have to talk about it. Very simple."

Does it work this way, too?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

EARN IT!

Vet players are more valuable then a bunch of casual/new players. We pump revenue consistently for anet. New players are here and gone in a month.

If you think anet is going to lower the requirements for legendary armor just to cater to causal/new players you're wrong.

You can either accept that you will never have legendary armor or go earn it like the vets have.

Lower requirements? People here have suggested multiple ways to make it time-consuming and make it take effort to get. That's why it's legendary armor. People aren't asking for it to be made easier, only for it to be made available in a gamemode they actually like. There are a lot of veterans who stick to OW mostly.

14 minutes ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

Despite disagreeing with most of the reasoning here why there should be an OW set, I'm not against adding a 4th set of legendary armor to the game. But those that say "it's a huge QoL improvement and allows for testing out builds" are just listing reasons why the armor is nice to have. This says "I would like the valuable thing", and not "here's why time should be spent making this happen".

But if they do it, I would absolutely not use the PvP and WvW methods of acquisition as examples of how another should be added. I said it earlier but I would have much rather seen these sets be locked behind achievements and crafting with mode-specific drops than be a strict time gate that allows for minimal interaction with the game. I believe high value items and gear should be an active goal with dedicated challenges that one needs to seek out, as opposed to passively getting access to by simply participating in the dailies one is already doing every day. This is my issue with most of the suggestions for OW armor implementation, and why adding it to the game as an incentive for the hardest content at the time made sense. 

I think achievements and collections are the best way to create meaningful goals and hurdles for rewards, so I would propose to take the existing content of OW and add collection drops and new achievements. World bosses, metas, events, etc. Maybe require some guild mission achievements and/or guild commendations to give them a bit of purpose? Story masteries? Quests that have you find drops, craft them, use them in certain encounters, deliver them to others. This also leads to an opportunity for revitalizing older content. Adding new achievements would hopefully bring new players in while also spicing it up for the 9 of us in the community who still run dungeons.

This is all of course with equivalent or greater material costs as the others, with some time-gated materials needed. 

The problem with this is that, just like now where people complain about acquisition methods for legendary armor, people will complain about PvE armor being gated behind aspects of PvE they don't like. Can we include strikes and dungeons? Some in this thread seem to think instanced PvE shouldn't be part of it, so that's out. Jumping puzzles? Even with a gold-spending alternative, people still complain about this part of the Skyscale collection. Metas? Some people can't play long enough to finish them, so there's another nope. Racing/adventure achievements? Wouldn't want to leave out anybody that doesn't own the expansions, so it's gotta be core Tyria only now. Guild missions? Not everyone wants to join a guild. There will always be complaints and people asking to get certain items the way that they want to get them, so it's hard to take stock in these requests sometimes.

All that being said, if they did make a set for OW, part of me wouldn't want it to have a nice skin to outshine the existing armors, but the fashionista part of me would definitely like the skins of a new armor set

Personally I'm fine with jumping puzzles and dungeons being part of it. And I don't think most OW players do map completion, jumping puzzles, and dungeons everyday as a hobby, which is why they should be added as a requirement. So people have to do something new in order to get the armor, even if it's still OW.

Edited by Caliboom.3218
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

15 minutes ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

"If you don't like the idea, you don't have to talk about it. Very simple."

Does it work this way, too?

The same rules and requirements should apply to everyone, or not? 
You have not once contributed something meaningful to this discussion or wrote something on topic. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

EARN IT!

Nobody questions that.

Yes. That's the issue brought up in this thread. Notice, that adding another way to earn (notice the word?) the legendary armor would not challenge that primary point you made.

And? It's not really a division between vet and new players (because, honestly, i doubt many new players would be able to shoulder the cost of crafting legendary gear anyway). It's primarily a division between vets representing significantly different playstyles.

Maybe. Maybe not. It's already clear that they realized long ago that they've overestimated worth of the hardcore raiding community. I mean, there's a reason why production of raids stalled, and it was already revealed by devs (basically, catering to raiders turned out to not be profitable enough for Anet).

Or Anet changes their mind about it. Besides, why do you think it is personal? I have obtained all the raid-locked legendaries. I still think that an alternate PvE path aimed at the majority of players that do not (and never will) play that type of hardcore content would be a good idea. I'm not selfish enough to now, that i have obtained it, demand that the acquisition gets locked so everyone else will have to "enjoy" (notice: there wasn't much joy in it) it as much as i did.

• Like 7
  • Confused 5

38 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Or Anet changes their mind about it. Besides, why do you think it is personal? I have obtained all the raid-locked legendaries. I still think that an alternate PvE path aimed at the majority of players that do not (and never will) play that type of hardcore content would be a good idea. I'm not selfish enough to now, that i have obtained it, demand that the acquisition gets locked so everyone else will have to "enjoy" (notice: there wasn't much joy in it) it as much as i did.

PvE in all it's content is a joke and easily doable by any player who puts in the time to L2P.

It's not selfish to expect that everyone earn their armor the same way that previous players have. It's called fairness.

Fact is this has been brought up too many times to count and Anet hasn't changed their stance on it.

L2P or live with your exotic/ascended armor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

Is the work required to get the Prismatic Champion's Regalia (PCR) amulet considered "too easy" to warrant one piece of legendary armor?  If not, just make that a repeatable achievement and add a vendor that sells legendary armor pieces in exchange for a PCR amulet.  I've only started work on it but it seems like a large time sink, and includes different types of content, and therefore worthy of a legendary item.  The devs obviously thought it was worthy.  Or, if you insist on it also being expensive, have a mystic forge recipe where you put in a PCR plus a few Gifts of this and that.  This wouldn't require any substantial work by the devs either.

The PCR achievement is based on doing all the open world seasons + IBS, it would be cool if there were something similar for the base game and expansions.

As I said, I've only just started on the PCR, maybe having to do it six times would be unbearable, I don't know yet.

That legendary amulet was a carrot to get people to replay season 2-5 while the developers worked on EoD and wa there to mask a major content draught that was happening because of it aswell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bear.9568 said:

Wow.  This is...

It is really good of you to say the quiet part loud, and for the four people that hit thanks on this post to give visibility to the attitude of the people (well, at least five, so as not to generalise) opposing this in such clarity.

I really hope the devs see this post and understand the kind of thinking that is driving opposition to this.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

PvE in all it's content is a joke and easily doable by any player who puts in the time to L2P.

If you think that way, then don't play it. In the end  however , that's just your private, subjective opinion, nothing more. One that most players in GW2 (that actually do like this type of content) seem to disagree with. You can be as condescending towards them as you like, but you are not going to change that.

It's not selfish to expect that everyone earn their armor the same way that previous players have. It's called fairness.

No, it's called being afraid of change and improvement. If everyone thought like you do, we'd all be still living in caves.

Fact is this has been brought up too many times to count and Anet hasn't changed their stance on it.

Not yet. And until they do, people will keep asking.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bear.9568 said:

EARN IT!

literally no one is making an argument otherwise. I genuinely don't understand why this isn't getting across. Open World players want a way to earn it playing their way. And this isn't about casual vs vet players. I've been playing for 10 years and put plenty of money into the game. I don't raid due to time constraints, but would still love the opportunity to work on a legendary armor set. And again, this isn't to say it should be easy or cheap or not time-gated. All of those restrictions can and should still apply. The concept seems pretty straight forward.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

So this is a really good idea... in theory.

The issue with this is the Return To achievements are extremely restrictive, and the way they're kept interesting is by rewarding people really frequently, and really well (we're talking huge amounts of Season currency, mystic coins/clovers, a PRECURSOR...).  You kind of couldn't make those rewards repeatable without breaking the game a bit.

Unfortunately, without those rewards, this would definitely get very old if you were doing it 7+ times.  Maybe one repeat, as part of a set of meta-achieves to get the whole set (or as a way to earn a load of tokens for the armour), but a whole repeat per armour piece would be painful.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, it's called being afraid of change and improvement. If everyone thought like you do, we'd all be still living in caves.

It wouldn’t be an improvement for the game overall. 

2 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

but would still love the opportunity to work on a legendary armor set.

The game already gives you multiple opportunities and ways to get legendary armor. 

Still, open world is the content where you can get the most legendary items: all legendary weapons, two accessories and one amulet. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

literally no one is making an argument otherwise. I genuinely don't understand why this isn't getting across. Open World players want a way to earn it playing their way. And this isn't about casual vs vet players. I've been playing for 10 years and put plenty of money into the game. I don't raid due to time constraints, but would still love the opportunity to work on a legendary armor set. And again, this isn't to say it should be easy or cheap or not time-gated. All of those restrictions can and should still apply. The concept seems pretty straight forward.

As a 10yr player you should have no excuse. Plenty of time for you to learn content that provides legendary armor.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

You have no idea what my experience in the game is.  You also seem to be fairly oblivious to the way the marketing for this game is done, and the demographics within it.  We just had a tenth anniversary and a Steam release simultaneously and saw exactly where the attention was focussed.  The fact you think the devs value the veterans more than new players is quite incredible.

Regardless, you're doing a great job of making your side of the fence look absolutely awful, so please don't let me stop you.

You know nothing. WvW would tell you everything you need to know about how anet coddles their vets.

You seem to act like I'm affected other than giving casuals legendary armor that I've already acquired.

Nothing I say matters to anet, nothing you say matters either. The fact that you think they are listening to you is enough to keep me entertained.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1