A Solution to the Weekly Matchup Problem (NA)

Ronin.4501

No server wants to be stuck in T1 with Mag and BG.  It's no secret. Everyone knows it. The devs know it, which is why they only play on Mag and BG.  Every week in T2, servers actively tank during the latter half of the week just to avoid winning and going up to T1, but ultimately, some server is going to win and be punished with a week of the kittenshow that is T1 and their endless blobfest.

So what can be done about it? I've got the perfect solution!! Step 1: Permanently lock the BG and Mag servers...like forever. I'm sure they'll be unhappy, but no one outside of Mag and BG cares, so that's not really a problem. If the players on Mag and BG don't like it, they can always transfer off. Step 2: Put Mag and BG in their own permanent matchup. We can call it Tier Kittenshow. Don't give either server a link, as it wouldn't be fair to punish the linked servers.  Step 3: We now have 1 extra host server and 3 extra link servers, but given that the populations of the 4 lowest servers are pretty much anemic at this point, we do the Truffle Shuffle remove 1 host server, thus having 9 host servers, and the 3 lowest pop host servers get TWO link servers. VOILA!! Problem solved, everyone's happy, well except the two aforementioned servers...but again, nobody cares what they have to say at this point anyways.

Think about it. Seriously. THINK ABOUT IT.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

The devs know it, which is why they only play on Mag and BG.

They do it as a short-term balance measure, until the World Destructioning rework goes live. Josh said he built a core ranger for playing on Mag (see link below). So, if you really want to do something, build a core ranger, transfer to Mag . . . and do whatever core rangers are supposed to do 😇

Edited by enkidu.5937
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

that idea is awful. some things

First BG roams with 10+ sure, but let you on a secret, they are not that great. Grab a buddy or a few from a guild and roll them. They are no where near as bad as FC that will bring 20+ for a paper camp.

Mag? Not hard. Sure they like the pew pew and seem to be the only server that figure out what pulls and CC are. Secret number 2! They got kitten all for stab. One pull and lock down, they are down. Sure they will try to blink away but give it a shot and lock them down first.

Another option, PPT less? If you want to avoid T1 with BG and MAG, dont PPT? If you close with the server and decent community, should be no problem, Look at MAG, when they want to tank, they tank hard.

Now should we be perma locking two servers cause one wants to blob and the other have brain cells when it comes to roaming? With that logic better lock SOS OCX Blob or any server that can pull two map q during an NA evening. Guess we should also ban anyone that pulls and have buddies that can do follow ups. There goes any server that have a fight guild on it.

Is it not fun? For some probably. Just ignore EBG to avoid mag and to be honest roam on BG bl as they generally leave it empty when they focus another map.

Also we should lock your server than cause you are tier 1.5, cant win in T1 but will dominate T2. Oh wait its only fun when you dominate my bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

This is only speculation because I've only been linked with Mag.

Mag normally fixes itself because they focus on farming the EB potatoes and ignore desert BL. This causes a stable loop where they bounce around t2/T1 and it sorta intentional. Smart servers know how to deal with this with proper borderland defense and keeps mostly everyone happy.

Traditionally, Mag's "toxicity" also keeps away the PPTers because they usually get memed on when doing that thing. However, sometimes you just get a super PPT link that just ppts like mad regardless of situation. From observation, FC tends to suck whatever server they're linked with up, as there are many of those people who like that kind of thing.***

This causes trouble as servers like HoD or TC who generally rely on tactical smarts to avoid getting farmed on EB to run into 64 people and a watchtower on south towers  the moment any roamer steps into any borderland.

It just sucks. I don't even know where I was going with this.

(I have an alt on HoD) xD

*** Edit: In general the problem is greatly made worse by bandwagoners in t1. I'm not trying to say any style of play is guilty, though some lead to more umm... degenerate tendencies. The worst of the worst gets magnified, regardless. Certainly when my server got hit with the bandwagon, the pathetic behavior greatly increased

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Twilightzone.7452 said:

Really stretching tactical smarts XD Guess sitting on siege is some form of tactic, carry on

Well, don't poke through my euphemisms like that!

At the very least there's havoc groups that split up and try to play WvW. I mean sure many of them are not good at this fighting thing but it's still better than people that moan about nobody taking an t0 camp. Like some servers! I literally have a better time taking towers with pve players that came to do their dailies then our regulars.  Or fight guilds that stack together together to not fight each other.

That's the other way of playing WvW. So being good at combat is.... dubious sometimes.

edit: Also was linked with HoD last link. Thought it was the best one in a while. So have to be nice.

• Like 1

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but my initial post was meant to be satire, not serious. There's definitely some factual statements in there, but Anet would never implement my suggestions in a million years (even if that's how long they keep us waiting on Alliances; although I do have more confidence since @Stonemist.4680 took over). I even managed to solo roam on Mag BL for a few hours today and troll all the Mag players who were trying to guard/upgrade all our spawn camps/towers, so it's not awful 24 hours a day (unless you're foolish enough to venture out to EBG).

But still, T1 is a lot less fun than the fights to be found in any of the other tiers.

Edited by Ronin.4501

3 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

This is only speculation because I've only been linked with Mag.

Mag normally fixes itself because they focus on farming the EB potatoes and ignore desert BL.

As shocking as it may seem (it definitely surprised me) and despite the protestations of certain Mag players posting on these forums, this is no longer true. The past two times we've faced Mag (both in the past 6 weeks), they've been out in force on Desert BL, both in attacking our upgraded structures and defending/upgrading the structures they capture, even when it required them to bring in reinforcements from other maps, and I can confirm that it was actually Mag guilds and not guilds from whomever they were linked up with.

Maybe they got tired of waiting in the queue for EBG?? 😆

Edited by Ronin.4501

1 hour ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but my initial post was meant to be satire, not serious.

Yes, part of my posts are also memes.  But this is the official forums, and you know what kind of bizzare ideas fly around. "This pve boss is not pve!"

The past two times we've faced Mag (both in the past 6 weeks), they've been out in force on Desert BL, both in attacking our upgraded structures and defending/upgrading the structures they capture, even when it required them to bring in reinforcements from other maps, and I can confirm that it was actually Mag guilds and not guilds from whomever they were linked up with.

I heard it was punishable by death to go to Red BL; better rat them out. (don't here) xD

• Haha 2

I admit, as usual, I might be a mental. I like fighting both BG & Mag. As I have said before, BG follows a path of holding their third and Mag loves EB. So if you want to counter them you can't play their game and need to play against those thoughts. Plan on Mag bringing more and more to a fight so plan to move. Expect BG to have various side groups that will be heavy in their territory and expect havocs and roamers that will extend outside of that. Expect both of them to be sending in scouting reports which will attract others. 

• Like 2

Besides limiting transfers, there is a really easy fix to the "tanking on purpose".  Raise the score contribution of SMC to +100 (or more) every 5 mins.  That way, in the example of the current T2 match, you wouldn't have red, who controls most of EB 18-20 hours a day, in last place.

All these servers are just doing the same thing.  They camp in SMC with their map que, and rarely defend anything else allowing them to drop a tier when they should be winning the match, or at least close to winning.

Problem solved.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

The guilds and players going to red bl  are FC guilds.  

I will say this for Mag though:  They have grabbed everything that has been said is kittenous to WvWvW and expanded on it, with the exception of the boon balls.  

Actually it was a well-known Mag guild that has been running on red bl (although it is possible they've transferred over to FC recently? I don't really follow what guild moves where outside of my own server), and they were running 40+, so not the typical havoc/roamer guilds one might expect. As I said, it was a surprise to both see them out on red bl and then defending/upgrading FK after they took it. It's entirely possible that they came over to red bl this week for better fights; based on what I'm seeing when I look at the EBG map (I typically stay away from EBG even when we're not in T1) it looks like both my server and BG are avoiding EBG this week, at least as far as structures held.

Actually it was a well-known Mag guild that has been running on red bl (although it is possible they've transferred over to FC recently? I don't really follow what guild moves where outside of my own server), and they were running 40+, so not the typical havoc/roamer guilds one might expect. As I said, it was a surprise to both see them out on red bl and then defending/upgrading FK after they took it. It's entirely possible that they came over to red bl this week for better fights; based on what I'm seeing when I look at the EBG map (I typically stay away from EBG even when we're not in T1) it looks like both my server and BG are avoiding EBG this week, at least as far as structures held.

The thing is that the "Mag" most people complain about aren't usually guilds but rather the EB clouder pugs that form some kind of hive mind.  When I mean that, I mean a bunch of pugs that have somehow comped their builds to work with each other. A non-comp, comp, typically filled with rangers, dragonhunters, and whatever else has a pull while light on melee classes. I'm going to leave it that since every time I give advice on the matter people get very angry.

We were matched with Mag earlier than you by a week and I know exactly what you're talking about and why it is a bit unusual. I know you're a Red BL enjoyer, so it did seem kind of weird, no?

I'm usually one of those smug "lmao there's 4 maps people". But even they might have issues.

edit: I suppose you don't frequent EB much.  That may be the issue.

• Thanks 2

On 9/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The thing is that the "Mag" most people complain about aren't usually guilds but rather the EB clouder pugs (snip)

This is so true, its just the average Joe figthing clouders and gankers, sadly no one complains about the groups that only fight 30 vs 10 at max in which almost all servers have this mentality.

• Thanks 2