Quality of life for the legally blind

Moon Moon.3027

OK so I've started playing P VE for the first time in a while and I find it really really hard to be able to fully enjoy it because of my eyesight issues it's not as simple as getting a pair of glasses because there are no glasses for my eyesight condition and i know there are others out there Who'll probably have the same problem. I'm making this form because I wanna put in a suggestion for the health bars to be able to be as thick as you can make them in PvP in the options menu there is an option for thick party icons or health bars as you put it and when you check this it makes the health bars really thick so it's easier to be able to see them. I really think arenanet should put in this feature for the PVE world as well so I can open the things up for people like me who want to play PVE but have a hard time when they are in open world and enemies are attacking them but yet they can barely see where the enemy is well yes I can use sound to track down where my enemies are it's how I fight in PvP in open world it is a little bit more difficult and very strenuous especially when you're getting attacked by multiple things.

Also one other note I really think text to speech should be a feature that you can enable for in game as well because of my eyesight I can't really read the text that is being said in chat it's really hard for me and I imagine it would be really hard for others who have bad eyesight just like me also making it so that the game would read the dialogue of NPC's you interact with would be quite beneficial too I really do enjoy Guild wars two despite all my really bad luck that I have in PvP I want to be able to fully enjoy the game but I can't do that if it's catered only to people who can see and don't have disabilities I truly feel that it would be better if the game was more open to people who have disabilities like maybe allowing the use of add-ons that could maybe do text to speech for them or call out things in the game for them for those who cannot see the scroll text that goes across the screen.

Again the only reason I'm bringing this all up is because I have just recently started playing PVE stuff and really would like to be able to have some independence without always having to rely on asking for help only to be told that they're too busy. It would be very nice if I weren't chained down to only PvP. so i can enjoy the game just like everyone else. in real life i am in a wheelchair i am legally blind and i am in a wheelchair so my only escape for independence is in my video games it's one of the places i am most happy i would just like for this game to have more accessibility not just ....ties and limitations that i also have

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I pray it makes a difference.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

No the health bars in PVE are not big enough but the ones in PVP are better they could be alittle bigger but if the bars in pve were as big as the thick health bars in PVP setting it would make playing PVE for me and other like moon moon easier to be able to enjoy PVE and not be chained down to only one game mode where all of the Toxic is and where cpt polution powers up from the Toxicity lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is the (app) tech available whereby, when you trigger the function with a hotkey, the app tries to read any text in a rectangular area around your cursor, so you can point and get text-to-speech? If there is and it is accessible, maybe anet and some API volunteers (not sure how to refer to them, the permitted add-on maker people players) could work something out for you?

Edited by casualkenny.9817

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, it's sometimes very hard to see this, regardless of your eyesight quality. (Though that big cursor option they added recently helps a lot. I also only show thicker health bars for my party.

I would like to be able to turn off effects for everything except my party and the enemy.

Also more commander tag colors (and maybe target colors) could be good.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 9/20/2022 at 1:10 AM, Funky.4861 said:

Whilst i sympathise with the OP, i doubt anet would incorporate a text-to-speech program into the game. Also, i wonder if this would get audially messy. For example, when i port into Rata Sum i'm bombarded by several npc's talking all at once and it's horrible.

Is that a septicaliper in your pocket or a dome structure made of diatomaceous earth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

This game would be a thousand times better if they hired literally anyone who knows what accessibility is. Its probably my #1 gripe about the game despite all the good things it offers.

I have several disabilities and this game doesn't try to relieve any of them, even after its become industry standard to take most of them into account when designing games and literally any other online game has those features. I'm not sure why ArenaNet are like this, lack of disabilities on their staff I guess.

It took them a whole decade just to add a high-contrast cursor to the game..

Imagine if we could turn off spell and sound effects from everyone from outside our party/subgroup, and highlight everything good, neutral or bad as blue, white and orange, respectively, and stuff like that. I imagine my game  experience would change literally overnight.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

I'm also legally blind and agree that much more could be done to help. I find that locating the mastery points on a map is very difficult. This could be helped if there was a way to get them to "flash" much like missing POI, WP's, hearts and vistas do on the map if you scroll over them. There are many other problems but I find the MP particularly difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, Kim.4152 said:

I'm also legally blind and agree that much more could be done to help. I find that locating the mastery points on a map is very difficult. This could be helped if there was a way to get them to "flash" much like missing POI, WP's, hearts and vistas do on the map if you scroll over them. There are many other problems but I find the MP particularly difficult.

I think that this is by design to encourage players to fully explore the maps to find them.  /shrug

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I think that this is by design to encourage players to fully explore the maps to find them.  /shrug

It is nothing to do with not exploring maps fully. I have finished nearly every map in the game but because of the poor visual design, the MP's are still nearly impossible to find for those with low vision or those who are legally blind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So POIs, renown hearts, WPs and Vistas aren't meant to be explored..? If mastery points flashed when you hovered over their icon on the map legend, nothing would stop you from, y'know, not using the flash feature if you didn't want to. On the other hand, I think this would be great QoL for the average person, to say nothing of the bigger impact it would have for people with sight issues.

+1 to this suggestion and to the overall request for settings in the game that make it easier for people to see things.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

So POIs, renown hearts, WPs and Vistas aren't meant to be explored..? If mastery points flashed when you hovered over their icon on the map legend, nothing would stop you from, y'know, not using the flash feature if you didn't want to. On the other hand, I think this would be great QoL for the average person, to say nothing of the bigger impact it would have for people with sight issues.

+1 to this suggestion and to the overall request for settings in the game that make it easier for people to see things.

I'm not advocating it.  I'm just offering a possible explanation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, Westenev.5289 said:

Just so we're clear, do you think the "thick health bars" option is not thick enough?

I thought I responded to this question but apparently it did not post as I thought it did. The health bars are not big enough in PV E in PvP yes they are big enough but when it comes to PV E all the other health bars are so small it is barely noticeable and it makes PV E for me extremely hard. Heck I tried doing a fractal today and I could barely even keep up because I couldn't see the health bars of enemies when they spawned

there are add-ons such as blish HUD which puts an overlay on the game so it can help me with map completion but it does not help with seeing enemies when they are spawned shooting at you ect. I wish there was an option in Guild wars two that would make all health bars thicker like the thick option in PvP Carquest

• Like 1

• 6 months later...