My class is s*it in pvp , pls nerf Engi.

freakcoco.4287

I don't know where is the hate coming from?

It is not about Engi performance (It's bad, that make it humorous), but also skill skill ceiling (Holo is not a low skill ceiling class).

They treating Engi like a punching bag.

Why can't they just ask for some buff for their love?

Edited by freakcoco.4287
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

• freakcoco.4287 changed the title to My class is s*it in pvp , pls nerf Engi.

Some people simply want to get Mechanist out of sPvP, for varying reasons.

Some of them dislike that Rifle auto-attack spam is allegedly too effective on Mechanist.

Some of them simply don't want to see that goo-coloured abomination that is Mechanist's specialization mechanic.

I actually agree that the robot is a major eyesore. It often blocks my view (and sometimes even my camera) at crucial times, but so does a lot of the ever-increasing particle vomit.

So for me, there are valid reasons to do something about Mechanist in sPvP. But what could be done doesn't necessarily have to be changes that affect how it plays. Having an client-side option that downsizes the goo-bots to Ranger pet size would be fine to me.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, freakcoco.4287 said:

The forums tends to do this because pointing at someone else having  "too much" something is easier than justifying how you should be able to answer it in a way that doesn't make your class overpowered. People tend to pick one thing, even if it's not necessarily hard to fight against, get locked into it and complain. Then if/when those complaints go through and the class is languishing for years nobody has any opinion on it. 

I don't think engie's overperforming in any way that required the now-reverted rework proposition, outside of maybe the odd scrapper repositioning large portions of their allies  over large distances, but even that is kind of weird reasoning. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, freakcoco.4287 said:

It is not about Engi performance (It's bad, that make it humorous), but also skill skill ceiling (Holo is not a low skill ceiling class).

There was a time when underperforming builds kept getting buffed to bring them "up to speed". The speed being "able to pull off oneshots faster than human reaction time". Most players agreed that it was terrible(I had fun but whatever, people like still being able to react when they anticipate some stuff wrong) so we are no longer unconditionally buffing everything to high heavens.
And there is still strong big large damage left in the game, we don't need to move towards oneshot territory again. I mean we could, I love memeing... but people are boring and want actual gameplay. So we are doing mostly nerfs now.

Oh and  people hate AI builds/classes by default. I am people. Nerf mech into oblivion, keep kicking it until it changes color!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

rifle mech is the new ft scrapper a king of low rated games

ppl just can't deal with how much dmg and mobility it has

i think the mecha damage is a bit overtuned, a normal stomp with mech freely attacking me gets me to 20% health from full hp, if i get interrupted i have to resustain cuz it will down me if i don't. Aside from that i think the class is completely fine

i hope anet doesnt go for their classic "let's target all this core stuff to bring this elite in line", which has been done to exhaustion to target holo and when holo got a targeted nerf to its abilities there were nothing left for engi to use and all 3 elites (at the time) had nothing to use.

• Thanks 1

The skill ceiling for engi used to be so high it deterred me from playing it for the first one or two years... but now the ceiling is basicly the floor. I mean you passively maintain boons and rapidly autoattack with your pet AI... if this is the best A-net come up for an elite spec, maybe they should stop. It's possible release major updates and new content without another set of e-specs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Because its absolute proof how skill level went under sea level.A-net like :Ok some people terrible as solo player how bout we give them AI assistance for cover their lack of damage.I dare to say Asura Golems >Mechs.When I think Mechanist Mechs will be their elite skill where player can enter to mecha and get another set of skills.Nope let me run and press 1 while my mecha shoot you from behind.They  cheapens every content they are include.Raids,Pvp.How stupid even you downed mechanist,mech still bashing you with same damage.A-net  can't even balance to downed skills therefore I have no hope for balance in pvp.Since balance team before CmC basically doesnt give 0 kitten to game so A-net design to EoD  classes as eyecandy power trips.

İts not just about their strengh.İssue their cheap and streamlined design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holosmith is a low skill ceiling class, You Can't Deny It.

A class have massive AOE auto attack , never stop DPS, press 1 to win .....

And there have no skill way to play engineer, that's a big problem because now we're removing the skill out of the game.

There have some class super hard to play (like Herald/Catalyst) always got nerf from patch, and engineers got buff all the time....if you feel nothing, you are lack of empathy .

Edited by noneHotBuildTest.7251
  • Confused 8

On 9/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, freakcoco.4287 said:

personally I still remember losing 100% of my HP due to holosmith using his healing skill and landing 6 nades on me.
I also remember shockwave having 600 range aoe, and lazer from stealth. Some of us have ptsd.
From personal exp, whenever holo ends up good, its always too good in several ways at once, moblity, sustain and survivability.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

personally I still remember losing 100% of my HP due to holosmith using his healing skill and landing 6 nades on me.
I also remember shockwave having 600 range aoe, and lazer from stealth. Some of us have ptsd.
From personal exp, whenever holo ends up good, its always too good in several ways at once, moblity, sustain and survivability.

Personally, I remember you struggling to understand the basic concept of time:

And FYI, when Holo had that damage/those abilities, every other class behaved differently. It's almost as if context matters and holding onto biased, outdated views is ignorant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

In the past 3 years, Engineer always had at least one pretty annoying build. Talking about stuff, like prot holo, decap scrapper, ft scrapper, nade holo, decap mecha, and now aa spam mechanist. They weren't necesseraly meta, but they could easily beat your avarage PvP player, so I'm not suprised anymore, when someone claims, that they hate Engi.

It honestly doesn't matter, that they are flailing at Engineer, on the forum. From the latest patch, it is obvious, that A-net knows, that Engineer is underwhelming at the moment, so it is getting massive buffs on Grenade kit, and the Tools traitline. Mech gets blasted as a side effect, of a PvE change, and Scrapper gets blasted, because the Balance team wants less quickness in this mode.
But in the meantime, they mentioned, that the current Mecha changes are just the beginning, and there is more to come, at the next patch. I would assume, that they will change how the spec plays, so it will be less rewarding, to gravitate towards the current AA heavy playstyle... but this is just a hopeful guess.

Because in the past 2,5 years all we saw was nerfs, and asking for buffs was futile. Now we are slowly start to get more buffs, so I would assume, that there will be more threads asking for buffs, along the usual nerf threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bethekey.8314 said:

Personally, I remember you struggling to understand the basic concept of time:

And FYI, when Holo had that damage/those abilities, every other class behaved differently. It's almost as if context matters and holding onto biased, outdated views is ignorant.

this video is pure proof of engi idiocy, you overfocused on this " 20s of immob ".
The real question is why the kitten is ranger standin 1m behind you, attacking you nonstop for 20s without being able to kill you, then you turn around and instagib him in 2 abilities XDDDDDDDDDDD
You ate 2 double entangle from druid, have you consider not eating double entangle?

EDIT
now I remember this, didnt you sit in entire entangle, ate back attack imob and necro pet imob?
yes eating several immobs will make you immobalised 

Edited by Leonidrex.5649

People hate on engi for several reasons. 

• They're salty because Mech OP in PvE
  • "AI Bad"
  • PvP forums are hyperfixated on nerfs as a catch-all solution
  • Their main isn't as good as they want it to be and they want to drag others down to their level. (Crab Mentality)
  • It is good at generating kills. People hate builds that kill them. 
  • All of the above compouding together, generating a whirlwind of hate.

It doesn't matter that Engineer is objectively not great compared to the actual top tier builds. Humans are emotional creatures, and they will gladly bend logic to justify hating something, whether consciously or not. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

People hate on engi for several reasons. 

• They're salty because Mech OP in PvE
  • "AI Bad"
  • PvP forums are hyperfixated on nerfs as a catch-all solution
  • Their main isn't as good as they want it to be and they want to drag others down to their level. (Crab Mentality)
  • It is good at generating kills. People hate builds that kill them. 
  • All of the above compouding together, generating a whirlwind of hate.

It doesn't matter that Engineer is objectively not great compared to the actual top tier builds. Humans are emotional creatures, and they will gladly bend logic to justify hating something, whether consciously or not. 

It kil me therefor it must be overpowered, there's no way I was outskilled

If I win gg ez tho, all me, not my boatload of carry mechanics

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Indeed.

3 threads on the first page, 3 on the second. All on the same subject by the same user, kept afloat by  bumping with whatever copy paste montage video he can find at the moment , not to mention raising enough threads from the dead to make necromancers jealous.

It's been like this since he started half a year ago or something. It's spam pure and simple.

Maybe we can continue merging these threads to clean up the page?

Edited by miriforst.1290
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a new player getting into PvP, I can say that Mech is only class I truly hate and despise seeing on the battlefield. I'm silver 2, and mech is the main reason I am losing interest in PvP.

With any other class that kills me, I can say: "Oh ok, yeah I see what they did there, and here is how I can improve. Probably that person is more skilled than me, can't wait to get better and beat them!"

But when I go into a fight and there are 2 mechs on the other team... I get entangled, break entanglement... get entangled again, and then auto-attacked to death. Then I say, "Ok, next time I take the trait which reduces immobilize time, I chase them hard, try to dodge at the right times, and I'll get him."

Then I try really hard, I sweat and pull off my abilities correctly - until I make a slip. Then I'm immobilized, and auto-attacked to death. The mech is not sweating, they are not trying hard, they are not more skilled than I am (probably?).

It is one thing to be killed by someone better than you, who knows the pvp mode and their class well. It is another to get destroyed by 1-2 immobilizes and auto-attack. Now I stop playing pvp after a bad run-ins with mech, even though I enjoy the game mode. Every time it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is un-fun, and fills my soul with impotent rage.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brasides.9360 said:

As a new player getting into PvP, I can say that Mech is only class I truly hate and despise seeing on the battlefield. I'm silver 2, and mech is the main reason I am losing interest in PvP.

With any other class that kills me, I can say: "Oh ok, yeah I see what they did there, and here is how I can improve. Probably that person is more skilled than me, can't wait to get better and beat them!"

But when I go into a fight and there are 2 mechs on the other team... I get entangled, break entanglement... get entangled again, and then auto-attacked to death. Then I say, "Ok, next time I take the trait which reduces immobilize time, I chase them hard, try to dodge at the right times, and I'll get him."

Then I try really hard, I sweat and pull off my abilities correctly - until I make a slip. Then I'm immobilized, and auto-attacked to death. The mech is not sweating, they are not trying hard, they are not more skilled than I am (probably?).

It is one thing to be killed by someone better than you, who knows the pvp mode and their class well. It is another to get destroyed by 1-2 immobilizes and auto-attack. Now I stop playing pvp after a bad run-ins with mech, even though I enjoy the game mode. Every time it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is un-fun, and fills my soul with impotent rage.

if you want i can show you a few good builds against mechanists.

Gw2 pvp is very "rock-paper-scissor".  Build A will destroy B.  Build B will destroy C. Build C will destroy A.

Mechanists is the epitome of this. They are incredibly strong and can be a pain to deal with, unless you have condis or reflects. The second you have conditions like weakness or can reflect, they crumble in a heartbeat.

Try playing something diffrent. Sometimes you cant possibly win the matchup against a certain profession, so you will think they are blatantly overpowered.

What helped me to get a better understanding of the balancing in gw2, is to play a diffrent profession from time to time, just to get a feel for the balancing from another perspective.

Speaking from the perspective of a tempest: Mechanist is godawful and i can kill 2 of them at once without problems. But from your perspective that can look completly diffrent.

I do not know what your playing, but your build probably does poorly into them. 

Play something diffrent^^ see how that works out for you. i personally change my main every few seasons, i take a look at what is considered strong in the current meta and i develop/pick a build which counters that. Currently we have a projectileheavy meta, which is why i main tempest.

If you need help with builds or tips against mechanist, hit me up and i will gladly help you.

Edited by Sahne.6950

13 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Currently we have a projectileheavy meta, which is why i main tempest.

If you need help with builds or tips against mechanist, hit me up and i will gladly help you.

Hey that is a very kind offer! I could certainly use some tips, and am starting to learn all the things I need to improve on. Actually I made a list of all the things I need to learn and improve on but it is just so abominably long that I don't want to burden anyone with it, haha. To be honest I don't know if it would help or hurt to try out another elite spec, since I've never touched tempest and don't really have any experience with support professions.

I ended up making a reddit post on this topic, and another kind stranger took a lot of time to respond in detail with both specific examples and a good overview of the general pvp concepts I might want to focus on. If you have anything to add to that or want to throw in your 2 cents I'd love to hear it.

The gist was to learn to use Line of Sight, make good use of ele air and earth focus 4, and learn how to take the initiative in engaging or disengaging to re-sustain and get back cooldowns with line of sight. Also a more high level idea I'd like to pay more attention to, which is setting the pace of the fight, placing yourself in an advantageous position at the start of the fight, and trying to make the enemy respond to your actions instead of getting stuck responding to them.

Also I actually found the build I think I'm fighting - at least I think so? The website says it is up to date, but I remember hearing shortly after I started playing in early October that they nerfed the engi auto-attack in PvP, so maybe this isn't correct. In any case this is most likely the build.

A couple noteworthy quotes from the build and reviews:

This is the entire overview:

A Rifle Mechanist build for sPvP which spams autoattacks until someone dies.

And from the comment section:

Hanz gave this build 4 stars • August 2022
New king of low tier. Requires very little effort, the build basically runs on autopilot, but expect it to stop working above a certain rating. Sustain's very low, the best defense here is either running away or pressuring the target so hard they can't fight back.
kroxx  3 months ago

On silver this build destroys, annihilates and humiliates people.

Takes 0 skill to play aswell.

Ben Bequer  kroxx  2 months ago

0 skill - this might be my cup of tea.