Player coming back after 10 years - overwhelmed

Hi,

So the last thing i remember they add into the game was Fractals and that was pretty cool. I think it was like 8 to 10 years ago. I had a level 80 engi doing dungeons and world stuff, was a very enjoyable time. Lots of fun memories of this game.

Wanted to come back as somewhat of a casual. Played like 4 hours today, got to level 20, all the first map cleared with all the points of interest. Was great. I love the combat and map in this game.
Went into the city and got completely overwhelmed.
The amount of merchants and their various items and so many different currencies, giant flaming player characters and lots of crazy mounts.

My question - Can I really get a casual experience out of this game? One that when I reach 80 and over I'll just pick what I'm going to do and just focus on that. I know it's a weird question but it just seems like there's soo much more content and I'm not sure how much of that is redundant or parallel to other forms of farming, just cosmetic and stuff.

I liked the PvE alot and used to have a blast in PvP too.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blakey.5670 said:

My question - Can I really get a casual experience out of this game? One that when I reach 80 and over I'll just pick what I'm going to do and just focus on that.

Yes. The cosmetics you described in your post are just that -cosmetics. Mounts skins are straight up limited to gemstore anyways, with mounts being accessible through PoF and EoD (EoD in a limited manner, to unlock mount masteries, you need PoF). You can still easly play on your own pace doing whatever you find interesting to do.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Blakey.5670 said:

My question - Can I really get a casual experience out of this game? One that when I reach 80 and over I'll just pick what I'm going to do and just focus on that. I know it's a weird question but it just seems like there's soo much more content and I'm not sure how much of that is redundant or parallel to other forms of farming, just cosmetic and stuff.

You can play this game as casually as you like.  If you want to focus on map completion, or story, or achievements or anything else you can get into it and enjoy it. 

Where you will have to play at the pace of other players is when engaging in larger events like Map Metas.  

You may find the learning curve for some aspects of the game (such as learning a new Meta event) not that casual but most of the game can be played on easy mode after you understand it a bit. Where you may possibly feel ‘less casual’ is organized game modes like Fractals and Strikes. 

That said a huge amount of the game can be completed solo and at your own pace.  You can follow the achievements and story panels for content to get into if you are not sure what to try next.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Welcome back!

Yes you absolutely can be a casual player in this game. There are a lot of things to do, and a lot of items to collect but it's almost all optional. It uses a system called horizontal progression where you can reach the level cap and get the best equipment relatively quickly and then after that progression is about getting additional options, not upgrades.

The different currencies are confusing, but it's basically so you have to play the relevant part of the game to buy those rewards, instead of just grinding gold. But the items they offer are eithern cosmetic or have identical stats to stuff available elsewhere, so you only have to worry about getting the ones you want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Blakey.5670 said:

Hi,

So the last thing i remember they add into the game was Fractals and that was pretty cool. I think it was like 8 to 10 years ago. I had a level 80 engi doing dungeons and world stuff, was a very enjoyable time. Lots of fun memories of this game.

Wanted to come back as somewhat of a casual. Played like 4 hours today, got to level 20, all the first map cleared with all the points of interest. Was great. I love the combat and map in this game.
The amount of merchants and their various items and so many different currencies, giant flaming player characters and lots of crazy mounts.

My recommendation to you is to do exactly what you did before. Reach level 80 then start on dungeons and Fractals again so you can slowly work your way back into end-game.

• Like 3

The great thing about GW2 is that you can not get to the "endgame" if you do not like to. For example, I am still doing "Assault on Svanir Dome" event in Wayfarer Foothills because I like it, and like to help the newbies learn how to fight champions. With my 10k+ achievement points I've never been to raids (except for some strikes) because I don't like feeding into uber powerful bosses. I am doing gathering runs in mid-level maps to craft Deldrimor Steel for sale. So yeah, endgame is not the end of game, do what you like and don't what you do not.

Edited by SpiderZ.9146

Welcome back!  As others have pointed out, you can definitely have a great play experience and get things accomplished as a casual player.  I play two to three hours a day, and gradually work on goals I have.

I'd suggest taking your time and enjoying leveling your character, play your personal story for guiding you to new areas if you like, and please don't be overwhelmed by the carnival of everything going on in cities.  You'll get there, and you will find many players doing exactly what you're doing.  Take little steps, walk before you run.  Mostly have fun!

After 80, it's pretty open ended on you doing whatever appeals to you 😊. Worry about that later.

20 hours ago, Blakey.5670 said:

Hi,

Hi fellow 10-year-comebacker, just take your time.  There is no sub you have to FOMO about.  Relearn the systems slowly.  I myself just came back last week.

• Like 3

And to respond to @phaserBanks.7386 Even for strikes, fractals and nowadays Raids (Emboldened mode) there are enough casual groups. They usually advertise in LFG with "Chill run" etc

This game can be as casual or tryhard as you want yourself. Specially in Open World. Map and Meta events with tons of players often means you can chip in without getting sweaty. Also enough people around to help out new and casual players for the more harder open world content.

And most importantly: Welcome back! Play at your own pace... enjoy the game, enjoy the exploring. 
"play as you want" is big in this game.

Guild Wars 2 is an "horizontal progression" MMO, meaning your gear will stay mostly relevant even though it has been years and a ton of content has been added since then. It's what distinguishes it from other MMOs (like World of Warcraft) where your gear becomes obsolete the moment a new expansion comes out. Yes, there's Ascended and Legendary equipment but they aren't necessary per se. Unless you're a min-maxer or want to do high level Fractals, Exotic equipment will do just fine.

Honestly, there's A LOT to do in this game but you can do it at your own pace. The game is very solo friendly so even if you don't have friends or a guild you can still do most things by yourself. There's a LFG system that can help you party up with others to do specific content (story, dungeons, raids, open world content, etc). The game has a healthy population so you won't be alone (maybe depending on time zone). You can also visit other servers as a guest in case you wish to party up with old friends (do keep in mind you're region locked though, i.e US can't guest on EU servers and vice-versa).

GW2 has something for both casual and hardcore players so you'll do just fine. If you need help, most people online tend to be friendly and helpful, otherwise, there are ton of guides online for you to browse. Just try to stick to something relatively recent, especially profession related because balance patches are common and occasionally there's a revamp or two, so opinions about them tend to become outdated pretty quickly.

Edited by IvoryOwl.3275
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 11:53 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that after the core areas and season 1, most story and maps require additional purchases. There are three expansions and four paid living world seasons (dlc).

Hello. I want to get back in the game, too. For those that paid the base game and now it is free, what did they get as bonus/compensation? And those paid expansions influence the game with better loot or something else?

11 minutes ago, MasterKleopa.4819 said:

Hello. I want to get back in the game, too. For those that paid the base game and now it is free, what did they get as bonus/compensation? And those paid expansions influence the game with better loot or something else?

Nothing? Why would we have got compensation? 

Expansions add new maps, a new class, new elite specifications per class, new loot, new maps, mounts, new skills (masteries), new armour stat combos and many more features. They add on to and improve the game.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Nothing? Why would we have got compensation? 

Expansions add new maps, a new class, new elite specifications per class, new loot, new maps, mounts, new skills (masteries), new armour stat combos and many more features. They add on to and improve the game.

Add to this have you seen the restrictions on ftp accounts Masterkleopa?

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF

Not having to deal with those restrictions is what you get.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, Blakey.5670 said:

Hi,

You can ignore everything you like and discover it all at your leisure. Just focus on your character and playing the game is what I suggest. The rest can come later.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, MasterKleopa.4819 said:

The "bonus" is that they got access to content for free that you will have to purchase on the side, along with the expansion pack, just because you weren't around when it released.

Each expansion gives you access to new content but you don't get all of it right away. The story and a portion of the content, including new maps, are expanded upon via the Living World Episodes, which are released periodically after the expansion's launch. Think of it like a TV series, with a new episode coming out every week.

If you log in when the episode goes live, you unlock it for free and it is yours forever (account-bound). However, should you miss that timeframe (you usually have 2 months or until the next episode), the only way to unlock the episodes is by purchasing them with gems (gemstore currency) or gold (by converting your gold to gems).

So it's kind of a big deal to purchase the expansion pack when it comes out and sticking around for the new content. Or at the very least logging in. It's part of the reason why I leave GW2 installed even though I sometimes stop playing for weeks or months on end... I log in to unlock new content.

Edited by IvoryOwl.3275
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, MasterKleopa.4819 said:

The compensation for having the paid version of the base game is not having to deal with the restrictions on free accounts. Among other things they can't use map chat, only have 2 character slots, have fewer bag slots and can't buy or sell a lot of stuff on the TP.

For me, I bought the base game long before it was free and did so transitioning from the original Guild Wars. As far as freebies, as an Amazon Prime member, every once and a while I get free content from Prime Gaming. I've gotten a pet dog whistle, mail delivery carrier, EOD shirt outfit, etc. These are earth shattering stuff so I don't recommend getting Prime just for this but free content is always welcome.