Where are the Elementalist balance changes?

Going through the patch notes, and all I can see are the nerfs which were in the preview.  Where are the rest of changes, like removing the Tempest's trade-off like you said you would, adding damage back to the skills for WvW like other professions got (Catalyst spheres hit for single digits) and the staff improvements for WvW?

Do the Elementalist changes come later?  What is the deal?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

elementalists are the red headed stepchild of this game.  They aren't allowed to get buffs.

I'm not actually sure the devs know how to create a proper working caster.

EDIT: This was sarcasm people, you can stop being confused now =P

Edited by Lynx.9058
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I think they were the last on the list and quickly rushed something at the end once they realised they had forgotten to do anything with ele.

I hope to have some faith restored next month, but I'm not gonna hold my breath 😅

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I expect very huge buffs and reworks at november balance patch. I know and play every character in this game. (My main is mesmer, semi main is Engineer(not pmech of course)) Elementalist (not tempest, tempest is easy to play comparing to weaver and catalyst), especially weaver should be the top DPS in the game (it should share the throne with axe mirage, condi Holosmith and catalyst). Complexity should be rewarded in this game. Otherwise it will not get any close to be balanced any time. 

I'm not pro ele player, as far I play, first thing anet should change conjure weapon system, maybe like engineer kits. I hate engineer kits but I think kits are better than conjure weapons. And weaver sword skills requires huge buff. Sword is the primary weapon for weaver, in theory, sword(melee) should be the best, dagger, staff(range), scepter(range) are better than sword at the moment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

A PvP/WvW patch. Ele got nothing for WvW (apart from the 5 sec cd reduction) and PvE ele got nerfed

I suppose you're right.  The gale song and final shielding changes seem like a downgrade, earth's embrace was useless and remains useless, and they didn't do any positive changes with any sort of impact at all.

I guess all I can say is they better get their act together for that November patch.  We've been tired of waiting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

A PvP/WvW patch. Ele got nothing for WvW (apart from the 5 sec cd reduction) and PvE ele got nerfed

Think that with scrapper and fb nerfed it might be possible to see heal eles in scuads now, or maybe some suport catalist? i dont main ele though so i dont know, but at least vindi, druid, chrono are more common now, who knows

1 hour ago, zaswer.5246 said:

Think that with scrapper and fb nerfed it might be possible to see heal eles in scuads now, or maybe some suport catalist? i dont main ele though so i dont know, but at least vindi, druid, chrono are more common now, who knows

Firebrand still is the GOAT when it comes to stability, so i highly doubt that Guardian will be moved out of the meta. Vindi got nerfed bigtime with the hotfix so probably won't make it into the meta either. My guess is that with the reduction of stability on guard either engie or druid will be the preferred pick due to their party stability (probably still scrapper due to their superspeed, condi->boon conversion and superior healing). Also wouldn't be surprised if double FB will see play.

I could possibly see a Tempest support in combination with a support chrono and FB work. 

Support cata has great potential, but simply doesn't work due to the energy system, limited range of hammer and lack of group stability on staunch aura's. 

Aslong as ele has no weapon swap in WvW, melee weapons will always feel abit clunky. Dagger and hammer can be decent weapons, but simply depend on to many factors. 

Dps staff still hits like a wet Noodle, brings very low quality damage, only offers 2 cc skills (no boonrip), has very low surviveability and is utterly useless when fighting under heavy aoe pressure or whenever fighting a cloud. 

Ele was and still is in a bad spot in WvW. 

Edited by the krytan assassin.9235
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, I see the latest preview with the Sceptre overhaul which is nice.  Some issues, though:

- Water sceptre needs vulnerability to trigger the water vulnerability trait

- Stone Shards, the sceptre Earth autoattack and probably the worst ability left in the game, was not buffed for some strange reason.

- Tempest healers are still in an annoying place with alacrity, and now have weird mainhand choices.

- Tempest still has the trade-off you said you were removing from elite specs.

- WvW Staff was not updated with the buffs, so it is still junk.

- Catalyst still has horrible stacking talents (which got even harder to stack), and the Hammer 3 orbs still need to die.  Why is it so hard to just give Elementalists something fun which does not involve jumping through a thousand hoops?

- Catalyst spheres still tick for single digits in WvW and PvP, and are completely different to their PvE counterparts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

On 11/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, Avatara.1042 said:

- Tempest still has the trade-off you said you were removing from elite specs.

If that's what you think they said, you should go read it again 😉

No need to be confused, just go read what they actually wrote. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Avatara.1042 said:

Catalyst still has horrible stacking talents (which got even harder to stack), and the Hammer 3 orbs still need to die.  Why is it so hard to just give Elementalists something fun which does not involve jumping through a thousand hoops?

I'd like to see the orbs get normalized a bit and just work on attunements or something. If it's supposed to be part of how Catalyst operates, then it should be available to Catalyst regardless of what weapon they use (similar to Rocket Punch for Mechanists - used to be tied to Mace 3, now works on all 3 skills.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vordrax.5243 said:

I'd like to see the orbs get normalized a bit and just work on attunements or something. If it's supposed to be part of how Catalyst operates, then it should be available to Catalyst regardless of what weapon they use (similar to Rocket Punch for Mechanists - used to be tied to Mace 3, now works on all 3 skills.)

I don't think that the orbs are really supposed to be a fundamental part of how the catalyst operates, tho. The mechanic of the catalyst are the jade sphere and it's combo fields, as well as self buffing through combos (by creating auras + stat buffs).

The orb mechanic really just seems like the unique shtick of the weapon for me, but it is basically completely detached from the general mechanic of the catalyst. A weapon having a strong identity doesn't necessarily have to become standard for all weapon sets for that class, otherwise Anet would have to create a ton of new skills.

With the same argument, Anet would also have to change these:

• Untamed: All weapons have now 2 different skill sets, depending on your leashed/unleashed state and either providing more damage or CC.
  • Holosmith: All weapon skills now gain effects based on the heat level of the holosmith.
  • Deadeye: All weapons sets get a skill which lets them switch over to another set.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I don't think that the orbs are really supposed to be a fundamental part of how the catalyst operates, tho.

Fair enough. If the orb mechanic is supposed to be part of the weapon rather than the Catalyst, I can buy it.

55 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

With the same argument, Anet would also have to change these:

Eh, I feel like you were on a roll, but then you kinda did one of those forum things where you misrepresent someone else's point by taking it to an extreme. I disagree on all three of your examples. Untamed has Unleash on all weapons, even if it's not a full bar. Holosmith has access to Holoforge on all weapon sets, and they have utilities that are affected by higher heat levels. Deadeye's primary mechanic is Malice which works with all stealth attacks. And let's say that you are right, that somehow what I said means any of those things. If anything, that would be an argument for doing those things, rather than not doing the Catalyst orb on all weapons thing.

My point was predicated on the assumption that the orb mechanic was a core part of the Catalyst kit. Your statement that the orb mechanic is part of the flavor of the hammer rather than the Catalyst itself was good enough - I agree. No reason to "by that logic, here is a bunch of stuff you never said" me.

42 minutes ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

You made my day 🤣

Don't talk to loud orrrrr..... Time will tell XD 

Remember the August Mechanist nerf? Mechanist remains as the most popular spec for instanced content...

Post patch FB will be a easier to play FB, which is the reason why Mech and FB are popular. For the average player how much dps a Bladesworn, Catalyst or Virtuoso can aouput is irrelevant if they require complex rotations or are clunky to use.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Support Tempest still in a really rough spot in PvE. To give Alacrity, you need to give up healing auras/shouts and camp Water attunement, but to give Alacrity you also need to swap between at least two attunements meaning you no longer have 100% heal uptime which is expected in all high-end encounters.

The overload interrupt issue has also been brought up many times.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1