Why AFK in Match is ok

Whiskey.1932

1. Match start
2. Unknown class switched to thief while q, so we now have 2 thieves in team
3. Ask One thief to change, anyone reacts
4. Ofc we team get smashed at mid at 4vs3 or 5v3 while both thief run around the map
5. Thief blame team to be not able to hold mid
6. Scre w it

Edit: Thief cant cap far OR close because 1 Roamer from enemy team can handle both
Edit2: If you want to help at sides, Thief go mid and die instant

Edited by Whiskey.1932
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Whiskey.1932 said:

1. Match start
2. Unknown class switched to thief while q, so we now have 2 thieves in team
3. Ask One thief to change, anyone reacts
4. Ofc we team get smashed at mid at 4vs3 or 5v3 while both thief run around the map
5. Thief blame team to be not able to hold mid
6. Scre w it

Edit: Thief cant cap far OR close because 1 Roamer from enemy team can handle both
Edit2: If you want to help at sides, Thief go mid and die instant

So, two things:

1. The switching of classes should not even EXIST.

2. No sir. It is NOT ok. You do not get to ruin peoples' pretense of fun, even if pvp is in flames. There are humans behind that screen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

AFK-ing won't solve your problems. In fact, you would add as a problem to others and wasting their time and effort as well. Sometimes, it would take time to turn the tides of the match to your favor, and AFKing would waste the chance to do that.

I remember a match where I got into a game late because I was stuck in the loading screen. When I got in the game my team was losing currently in a 4v5 and of course I apologized because this and that... anyways, because they didn't give up, we still managed to make a comeback and ended up winning the match. It's not that I say that I carried them, the point is that having all of the team participating instead of afking and giving up makes a huge difference not only in the quality of the match and the winning potential as a whole.

So please, do not AFK in SPvP matches. You queued, so you should play. :))

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the desire to get out is worsened by low population and awful matchmaking. I'm a relatively new player to PvP, maybe 5 weeks, and I'm not that good. Still ended up in gold 3 playing with and against names in the top 100 - which is not okay. Generally such games are a total curbstomp with the higher ranked players cussing out us newbies / baddies nonstop. There is no incentive to do anything in such a situation except collect my loss reward and move on. 

It's not even as good as World of Tanks (which sets a very low bar for both player behaviour and incentive structure) as there is no 'valiant defence' reward for topping the scoreboard on the losing team.

Expecting players to be free content and get chain farmed whilst being flamed out by the veterans seems perverse at best. Why wouldn't they AFK it out?

Just to be clear, I think I have AFKd once after 2 of my team were autorunning in the spawn corner, but going 3v5 whilst being spawncamped isn't an exactly an attractive proposition.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Instead of AFK'ing, just feed points to the enemy or LEAVE THE GAME. Or better yet, just stop queue'ing for sPvP, as you have no will to play at all.

AFK'ing is the worst thing you can do (outside of actually cheating) and it's never okay.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

It would be nice if there was an early surrender option. Especially for games where someone afks. There needs to be a better auto detect system in place for this to work though. Autorunning into a wall or spamming skills in base should still flag you inactive. 

Let people leave that game and move on. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Roman.6930 said:

Look, since there isn't a leave-arena-button, AFK is the best thing you can do in this situation, if you wanna calm down your nerves.

You can also quit the game in that situation. And that's the superior option, if one doesn't want to participate properly.

AFK'ing is literally the worst thing to do. Anyone trying to justify AFK'ing should just keep out of the mode.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Going AFK is never OK. Well, there are real-life emergencies that ofc require you to leave your game.

If you want AFK, just don't join PvP or any other multiplayer. Players are allowed to play any class they like, and apparently ANet allows you to switch after join so that's fine as well.

Terrible matches aren't a valid reason as well. This is a risk you took when clicking the join PvP button.

Just continue to play, take the loss like a grown up and move on to the next match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Going AFK is never OK. [...]

Yeah... It's also not OK when in rated team members playing like bricks, ignoring the simpliest mechanics (capturing points ect.) and dropping dead like flies over and over again. So what shall I do in this situation? Keep on playing punching bag? I don't want to.

Edited by Roman.6930
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

You can play 4v5 and have your "fun".

If I don't see realistic way to win a match, I see no point to keep playing it.

Then you should simply leave the game. If you don't want to play, you should not be there at all.

There's no need or remotely respectable reason to be a bacon cavity and maliciously make your team members lose rating points.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

There's no need or remotely respectable reason to be a bacon cavity and maliciously make your team members lose rating points.

When there will not be gold players in my matches, when there will not be players who die 5 times in 6 minutes in y matches, when there will not be "fight on point guys" in my matches, I'll stop going afk.

It's not me going afk makes them lose rating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

When there will not be gold players in my matches, when there will not be players who die 5 times in 6 minutes in y matches, when there will not be "fight on point guys" in my matches, I'll stop going afk.

It's not me going afk makes them lose rating.

If you really think that way, just do everyone a favour and stay out of sPvP.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's funny cuz in my experience it's not just players that afk due to a impending loss that's the issue it's the over all mentality that a overwhelmingly amount of players have that queue for unranked is also a huge issue. I have almost as many instances where a players afk's at the start of the match than in chat says "sry just wanted to take care of somthing", now match is 50-250. why queue if ur in this situation? If a irl emergency happens than by all means of course it's just a game but players in this game are so ignorant to the fact there's other 4 players time being invested into the match. There are some reasonable things that happen that afking can't be avoided but the vast majority it's just players that are either ignorant with 0 regard for other players time or are butt hurt that the match isn't going their way. So I'd say somtimes asking is ok but the majority of the time is is not.