What is up with Gold 3

Mell.4873

2 hours ago, Eugchriss.2046 said:

No it looks pretty normal...like the standard normal distribution...

Maybe, I just noticed today I was in top 250 while just being in Gold 2 so I thought it was weird. It could be because everyone is playing Festival so they are no longer on the leaderboard. (You have to play so X number of games in a row to be on it)

It seems to have come right though, 1400 is now the top 250 so at least it is better.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Bizgurk.5639 said:

Today, another 15 games were added to the minimum games required to be visible in the ladder. There might be quite a few people at higher rating than you. They just don't appear in the ladder right now.

Oh okay that makes some sense, I also think you cant be in de-ranking limbo if you have not played for a while. People probably had a break leading into the Festival.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Maybe, I just noticed today I was in top 250 while just being in Gold 2 so I thought it was weird. It could be because everyone is playing Festival so they are no longer on the leaderboard. (You have to play so X number of games in a row to be on it)

It seems to have come right though, 1400 is now the top 250 so at least it is better.

It will change later in the season when the meta gamers start pushing their alts up to knock people down.

same 20 accounts just on two or three alt accounts. Not really the festival as these people don’t do festival content, they just grind matches 24/7. It’s just still early in the season.

Most players play pvp casually or infrequently is my guess. Climbing ranked is not a casual experience and the skill difference between a 20 games a season and a 200 games a season player is evident.

Anet needs to make pvp a more casual experience if you ask me. I appreciate playing in comms with 3 friends doing different game modes in smite for example. 

They should also look into slowing the game down again. Snowballing matches because of mobility and bleeding downed states is a much bigger problem than i think people realize. Thats what leads to blow outs a lot of the time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

We have 20 player in Platinum 2+, 100 players Platinum 1,100 players in Gold 3/Gold 2
The distribution is really crazy, how can we have less player in a lower rank? Shouldn't it be an exponential curve.

Platinum is supposed to be the top 10%. So… it is working as intended. Though, back in my day, P1 was not even in the top 250.

• Haha 1

Just adding here that the leaderboard isn't a good metric of how many players are in a given tier.

To show on the leaderboard, you need a minimum number of games, I think 3ish a day or so. Some players like me only play 1-2 games per session, and may not play every day.  Most of us with fewer games are lower ranked, but it is possible to rank high early in the season then play occasionally just to stay in a tier. A player like that wouldn't show on the leaderboard

19 hours ago, Eugchriss.2046 said:

No it looks pretty normal...like the standard normal distribution...

The problem with normal distribution is it assumes everyone will always fight close to an equivelant opponent.

Now, if there wasn't a match maker, the BELL, would be closer to the left, with the tail on the right

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, robinoz.3958 said:

Just adding here that the leaderboard isn't a good metric of how many players are in a given tier.

Maybe not, but its not like its no indicator at all. Its a good way to measure how dead ranked is at any given time.

Just for example that last time I played was season 18 and a rating of ~1650 was enough to reach rank 68, If I had stuck it out with this clown fiesta, i'd be nearly tied for rank 10 right now, jumping ahead nearly 60 players. Why? Because they all quit and so did I.

Boring, casual mode roleplaying as a competitive mode is what it is.

7 minutes ago, robinoz.3958 said:

To show on the leaderboard, you need a minimum number of games, I think 3ish a day or so. Some players like me only play 1-2 games per session, and may not play every day.  Most of us with fewer games are lower ranked, but it is possible to rank high early in the season then play occasionally just to stay in a tier. A player like that wouldn't show on the leaderboard

If anyone is going to meet the 120 games requirement its going to be the plat population. They are the most dedicated by design.

The legends are lazy DuoQers that only sweat when it comes to inventing new creative strategies with which to cheat. The golds have a 50-50 chance of only being in Ranked to farm pip chests. The plats(bless their hearts) are usually the only ones actually trying to climb the competitive ladder, having already made the first few steps towards progress. Probably by accident too, which makes everything that follows a lot funnier.

Anyway, i'm getting sidetracked. When the plats go, the passion follows and i'm sorry to say the plats are straight up gone. Poof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Maybe not, but its not like its no indicator at all. Its a good way to measure how dead ranked is at any given time.

Just for example that last time I played was season 18 and a rating of ~1650 was enough to reach rank 68, If I had stuck it out with this clown fiesta, i'd be nearly tied for rank 10 right now, jumping ahead nearly 60 players. Why? Because they all quit and so did I.

Boring, casual mode roleplaying as a competitive mode is what it is.

If anyone is going to meet the 120 games requirement its going to be the plat population. They are the most dedicated by design.

The legends are lazy DuoQers that only sweat when it comes to inventing new creative strategies with which to cheat. The golds have a 50-50 chance of only being in Ranked to farm pip chests. The plats(bless their hearts) are usually the only ones actually trying to climb the competitive ladder, having already made the first few steps towards progress. Probably by accident too, which makes everything that follows a lot funnier.

Anyway, i'm getting sidetracked. When the plats go, the passion follows and i'm sorry to say the plats are straight up gone. Poof.

Again...Calling Anet: SHUT. DOWN. RANKED.

It's EMBARRASSING to even showcase it at this point. You shut down ranked and you send these schmucks PACKING.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

It's EMBARRASSING to even showcase it at this point. You shut down ranked and you send these schmucks PACKING.

But then no free advertising or balance decisions. 

Can’t drive them out of the game! 

Pretty sure someone has a dev in their pocket anyway.   Ya just never know!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

But then no free advertising or balance decisions. 

Can’t drive them out of the game! 

Pretty sure someone has a dev in their pocket anyway.   Ya just never know!

Of COURSE they freakin' do. It's obvious. But ya know..."world class pvp" as the box cover said! (Yes, I bought gw2 in 2012 release)

57 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Whether they fix it or delete it, that's the hope.

This might be a little off-track, but i'm being 100% real when I say i've never encountered a top player base more toxic and utterly repulsive than what we have in sPvP. Not even in Overwatch. I'm hoping my 10k hours played kind of speaks for how bad they are.

You play anything else, any other game and the top players are usually chill, helpful, and friendly faces for their communities.

Not for sPvP though. You have to dig for the people that aren't looney tunes characters. The rest of the top players are just cheaters, villains, and egotistical sweats that take the game way too seriously and then talk down to people in an effort to turn them sweaty as well.

With 0 sportsmanship. Go kill some of the ones probably camping the FFA right now and watch as they bug abuse to instantly get back into it, throwing themselves at you again, and again, and again until finally your CDs can't keep up and then comes the "stay gold trash" as they jump on you until you bleed out, wasting even more precious time from both your lives.

And this is all without saying a word to them. Literal psychopaths 😨

Would still rather they rework Ranked to be competitive for real, but even if they delete it I wouldn't mind. Seeing the cartel lose for once would be far more gratifying than the odd Ranked win anyway.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Whether they fix it or delete it, that's the hope.

This might be a little off-track, but i'm being 100% real when I say i've never encountered a top player base more toxic and utterly repulsive than what we have in sPvP. Not even in Overwatch. I'm hoping my 10k hours played kind of speaks for how bad they are.

You play anything else, any other game and the top players are usually chill, helpful, and friendly faces for their communities.

Not for sPvP though. You have to dig for the people that aren't looney tunes characters. The rest of the top players are just cheaters, villains, and egotistical sweats that take the game way too seriously and then talk down to people in an effort to turn them sweaty as well.

With 0 sportsmanship. Go kill some of the ones probably camping the FFA right now and watch as they bug abuse to instantly get back into it, throwing themselves at you again, and again, and again until finally your CDs can't keep up and then comes the "stay gold trash" as they jump on you until you bleed out, wasting even more precious time from both your lives.

And this is all without saying a word to them. Literal psychopaths 😨

Would still rather they rework Ranked to be competitive for real, but even if they delete it I wouldn't mind. Seeing the cartel lose for once would be far more gratifying than the odd Ranked win anyway.

That's because Blizzard, though scumbags of the highest order, have a functioning product with lots of vulture...eh venture capital going in. Overwatch 2, though, does not seem to have the same momentum as the original. THIS though...? gw2? lmao...yeeahh...(shakes head) Enough said.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Most of them were just plebs when there were actual top players.

• Like 3

No, the shape of the graphic rating x n of players is like a bell, with the average mmr the top of the bell

Something like this

1150         1250 

1100                 1300

1050                       1350

1100                             1400

And so on being x the rating and y the n of player, i think it's called gauss curve or gauss bell

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Most of them were just plebs when there were actual top players.

I forgot to mention that I only play on NA too, not speaking for EU which i've heard is better, but still has its own issues.

But the NA ones were definitely plebs. They want everyone to forget seasons 9-12 even happened, where the game was soloq only after 1600 rating. Half of them quit before they even tried to play fairly.

And to those that didn't, well...

Turns out these egotistical sweatlords are a lot nicer and more humble when you're just about the same rating as they are, and when that rating is completely normal and not at all inflated by unfair game features.

19 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

That's because Blizzard, though scumbags of the highest order, have a functioning product with lots of vulture...eh venture capital going in. Overwatch 2, though, does not seem to have the same momentum as the original. THIS though...? gw2? lmao...yeeahh...(shakes head) Enough said.

Moreso speaking to the mentality of the players within.

Overwatch; the original Overwatch, had what i'd call a reddit mentality. They took balance to the extreme. You pick Hanzo and suddenly your unhinged teammates are discussing which bitcoin assassin to hire to come get you, but at least the pro scene was serious, you can't say the playerbase got it from them.

Gw2's PvP is a different story. Over here we've got the toxic wintrader mentality where people get rewarded for cheating and minimal effort, making it seem like the coolest thing ever to their fans & viewers who then begin to parrot them, tying their ego to their virtual rank in Gw2 PvP; a not so competitive competitive scene with probably less than ~500 people playing on both servers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

I forgot to mention that I only play on NA too, not speaking for EU which i've heard is better, but still has its own issues.

But the NA ones were definitely plebs. They want everyone to forget seasons 9-12 even happened, where the game was soloq only after 1600 rating. Half of them quit before they even tried to play fairly.

And to those that didn't, well...

Turns out these egotistical sweatlords are a lot nicer and more humble when you're just about the same rating as they are, and when that rating is completely normal and not at all inflated by unfair game features.

Moreso speaking to the mentality of the players within.

Overwatch; the original Overwatch, had what i'd call a reddit mentality. They took balance to the extreme. You pick Hanzo and suddenly your unhinged teammates are discussing which bitcoin assassin to hire to come get you, but at least the pro scene was serious, you can't say the playerbase got it from them.

Gw2's PvP is a different story. Over here we've got the toxic wintrader mentality where people get rewarded for cheating and minimal effort, making it seem like the coolest thing ever to their fans & viewers who then begin to parrot them, tying their ego to their virtual rank in Gw2 PvP; a not so competitive competitive scene with probably less than ~500 people playing on both servers.

It's par for the course these days in online games(especially multiplayer). I'll break it down and describe the typical predictable hype train that gaming cultures engage in through the following steps:

1. Company hypes up game.
  2. Streamers, marketers, influencers line up to preach the gospel.
  3. People flock to the game.
  4. Game comes out and contradicts the gospel. (bugs, matchmaking problems, lousy community...)
  5. People start to question the gospel. ("This shite sucks!", "Why isn't X company fixing this?", "Community has gone down hill..")
  6. Company and influencers do damage control.(Influencers gatekeep, company pumps out "content" to try & keep people in)
  7. People, smelling the coffee, begin to leave.
  8. Influencers f'off the train, move on to the next one and pretend they never got on the previous one(more damage control).
  9. Company either shuts down game/service or leaves a burnt-out husk.

And there ya have it. For me, gw2 is just part of this overall social phenomenon. The phenomenon of which I see repeat time after time after time again. I see this pattern clearly.

• Like 1