Change Gift of Battle Please

Radnor.4185

Could you make it so the player can sell the Gifts of Battle, even if for a fixed price? I don't care if it cost 50g, 100g or 10000g, I'd rather farm the gold than to spend a single minute inside this game mode. No commanders, absolutely, almost no one, nothing to do. It's basically a walking simulator where people kill you for nothing and you lose participation, which means you to go under the torture of playing WvW for even more time. By making them not bound, players that enjoy WvW would be happy and players that do not would be able to never step into the battlegrounds ever again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

The problem is that the PvP and WvW compoments are a bit too different. (Not really balanced.) Afaik for PvP you can buy most or all stuff at the trading post - not having to participate to get the PvP part for the legendaries that need all three game modes.

Then again: WvW is in dire need of having something exclusively that makes people play it. The normal drops are small. Not worth for farming. And if you want legendary armor ... it is the grindiest gamde mode (for the tickets) ... unless you already play it a lot normally for fun and get that stuff normally from normal playing a lot already. (PvP on the other hand is pretty fast here.)

For participation and the pips for the weekly chests as well as the reward tracks (Gift of Battle): Go on an enemy borderlands ... easy and super fast to reach the 2 camps next to your spawn (one north the other one west/east ... the middle one) - then wait and do something else while recapping a camp every 10 minutes. (They constantly get capped by others again. So there is one ready always in time ... just make sure to be there before the timer ends or others will have capped it again. They are capped as soon as the invulnerability timer runs out - usually.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Radnor.4185 said:

Could you make it so the player can sell the Gifts of Battle, even if for a fixed price? I don't care if it cost 50g, 100g or 10000g, I'd rather farm the gold than to spend a single minute inside this game mode. No commanders, absolutely, almost no one, nothing to do. It's basically a walking simulator where people kill you for nothing and you lose participation, which means you to go under the torture of playing WvW for even more time. By making them not bound, players that enjoy WvW would be happy and players that do not would be able to never step into the battlegrounds ever again.

I assume you need GoBs for crafting Legendary Weapons.

I think you are approaching the crafting process and WvW with a counter-productive mindset, too. The crafting process of a Legendary weapon should include more than just "the monetary aspect". It is an experience of revisiting or first time visiting parts of the game (e.g. map completion, Fractals, open world events and WvW). If you don't like parts of the process, you have to change the way to get through the part efficiently. Relying on a commander to carry you through the process (similar to world boss trains) might work (on high population and winning WvW servers), but if you don't have that, you have to adapt (see suggestions to go for low impact targets like sentinels, veteran monsters and using daily reward potions here on the thread and on the forum).

Also, there is the chance to get help from fellow players by just asking for a wingman in map chat. You don't go for world bosses or Fractal on your own, too - don't you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Radnor.4185 said:

2 Gifts of Exploration for a Gift of Battle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

You can also just do the easy dailies like killing five guards or a veteran monster.

It takes a bit that way, but Legendaries are not supposed to be rushed anyway.

This.  Use a booster, use your guild perk, do the dailies, flip some camps, kill some guards, leave.  Even with beta going, it's still very doable.  Finished off the GoB reward track last week just doing PvE things in WvW.  I don't like doing fractals, but if I'm working on a lege I go do it anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There needs to be solutions in place that allows PVE players to get a GOB but the same goes for PVP players and WvW players wanting to get other game mode items.

Perhaps a change throughout all modes is required and for me I do like the current reward tracks method (although they do need to be updated a lot). Cant tell you how many recipies for superior sigil of cleansing I have deleted....

Perhaps for PVE etc rewards tracks should be introduced and one of those reward tracks could be for the GOB allowing PVE players the option to get from this method.

This would also mean for example WvW players a reward track that will give them a Gift of Exploration for example.

How these would be impleted for example I'm not going to go into, but perhaps this may be a solution... perhaps not...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, muerte.3842 said:

There needs to be solutions in place that allows PVE players to get a GOB

Just do the dailies that only require doing PvE stuff.

You want a WvW reward? Then do something related to WvW, even if it's just tangentially related (like said dailies).

You don't want to do something as little as that? Then you shouldn't get the reward.

There is no need for any change in acquisition of the GoB, especially if it involves getting GoB outside of WvW.

If anything, WvW should get more incentives, not less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Just do the dailies that only require doing PvE stuff.

You want a WvW reward? Then do something related to WvW, even if it's just tangentially related (like said dailies).

You don't want to do something as little as that? Then you shouldn't get the reward.

There is no need for any change in acquisition of the GoB, especially if it involves getting GoB outside of WvW.

If anything, WvW should get more incentives, not less.

I Spend 99.99% of my time in WvW and only do PVE Story Mode as and when. Whilst PVE players can hop into WvW and take camps etc to get the GOB my suggestion would allow for all parties to be happy in the mode that they want to play rather than forcing someone into a game mode they dont want to play.

Whilst I agree that rewards should be improved in WvW, should the rewards be made better than more PVE players would come into WvW and afk more and sit around just to flip a camp etc and therefore not particpate in WvW. This would make the situaton worse than is currently. At least adding something like a reward track to PVE to get a things like a GOB would allow then to stay within PVE to achieve their goals. Same would go for WvW Players (those gen 1 days having to do world completion for 2 gifts of exploration to make a legendary)

Rewards should be for paticipating and not afking. Just look at the mess of when repping a wall in WvW would give participation... The amount of times people would waste supplies just to keep up their particpation...

Edited by muerte.3842

12 hours ago, muerte.3842 said:

I Spend 99.99% of my time in WvW and only do PVE Story Mode as and when. Whilst PVE players can hop into WvW and take camps etc to get the GOB my suggestion would allow for all parties to be happy in the mode that they want to play rather than forcing someone into a game mode they dont want to play.

Whilst I agree that rewards should be improved in WvW, should the rewards be made better than more PVE players would come into WvW and afk more and sit around just to flip a camp etc and therefore not particpate in WvW. This would make the situaton worse than is currently. At least adding something like a reward track to PVE to get a things like a GOB would allow then to stay within PVE to achieve their goals. Same would go for WvW Players (those gen 1 days having to do world completion for 2 gifts of exploration to make a legendary)

Rewards should be for paticipating and not afking. Just look at the mess of when repping a wall in WvW would give participation... The amount of times people would waste supplies just to keep up their particpation...

I do agree that being AFK in WvW is not a good thing. But improving rewards for being active, like having better loot tables for keep/tower bosses would be a neat thing.

And I think that WvW needs more players, even if it's just players who are in there for the PvE parts. I doubt Arenanet could discern the motivations of the players who join WvW,  if they saw the statistics of WvW participation rise.

Game allows wvw players to unlock elite specs instantly for free basically with heroics, instead of force slugging through pve maps to do it, maybe something like that could be done for pve for gift of battle, not for wvw legendaries though. Or some sort of gift exchange vendor, there would be a lot of pve gifts to trade for the gift of battle. Or really just throw wvw a bone and let them sell the gift of battle to players.

Rewards in general need to be adjusted, including reward tracks which probably shouldn't take more than 4 hours at most to complete. But any reward revamp probably won't happen for another 5 years. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Why would you want to buy a gift of battle, when you can outright buy the legendary weapon?

Unless it's a gen 2, in which case you deserve everything that happens.

I dunno tell that to all the complainers then?

HEY EVERYONE THAT WANTS A GIFT OF BATTLE YOU SHOULD GO BUY THE LEGENDARY INSTEAD.

💁‍♂️

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I dunno tell that to all the complainers then?

HEY EVERYONE THAT WANTS A GIFT OF BATTLE YOU SHOULD GO BUY THE LEGENDARY INSTEAD.

💁‍♂️

I have been xD

Like, the only reason to make a legendary if it can be bought manually is to save gold. But if you're willing to pay any price, this goes out the window. Of course you wouldn't pay "any" price because there's already a price that exists that not only deals with the GoB but the entire legendary.

And that's where if for some reason you don't like doing WvW or w/e where you have to use your head. Most Gen 1 weapons cost about 900 gold in mats and cost 2k total, so the value of GoB is at most 1100 (0r 1400 for gen 3) gold. But what about all that time with map exploration? How long does that take?

At this point you pretty much have to value the opportunity cost of both and decide if the time spent > 1100 gold, then don't do it.

In other words, as much as WvWers would love to sell a GoB for 1000 gold, it kinda makes no sense because you already effectively can buy and solve the problem anyways.

If people complain about materials they already farmed, then it's no longer an issue of wanting to do a GoB but general cheapness. And if you are cheap, then don't build a legendary lol.

edit: I suppose one could argue they want to feel proud of making the legendary themselves. But that's very self-contradictory. Making the legendary yourself, and only doing the parts you like are two very different things. There's a reason why Gen 3's are sellable; those looking for the masochistic edge can still build gen 2s.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I have been xD

Like, the only reason to make a legendary if it can be bought manually is to save gold. But if you're willing to pay any price, this goes out the window. Of course you wouldn't pay "any" price because there's already a price that exists that not only deals with the GoB but the entire legendary.

And that's where if for some reason you don't like doing WvW or w/e where you have to use your headMost Gen 1 weapons cost about 900 gold in mats and cost 2k total, so the value of GoB is at most 1100 (0r 1400 for gen 3) gold. But what about all that time with map exploration? How long does that take?

At this point you pretty much have to value the opportunity cost of both and decide if the time spent > 1100 gold, then don't do it.

In other words, as much as WvWers would love to sell a GoB for 1000 gold, it kinda makes no sense because you already effectively can buy and solve the problem anyways.

If people complain about materials they already farmed, then it's no longer an issue of wanting to do a GoB but general cheapness. And if you are cheap, then don't build a legendary lol.

1. I only care to get the pve players who don't want to give wvw a fair chance, don't enjoy wvw or pvp, and moan and groan about gift out of wvw and the forums.

2. Anyone who thinks they will be selling gob's for 1000g much less even 1g is living in lalaland in their heads.

3. Not like anet is going to do anything about any of this, the pve'ers will cry, the wvw'ers will make suggestions, but it's all for nothing anyways once people remember who they're trying to appeal to in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

. I only care to get the pve players who don't want to give wvw a fair chance, don't enjoy wvw or pvp, and moan and groan about gift out of wvw and the forums.

And I'm telling people they already have a choice that involves 0 WvW, not to mention there's obscure shenanigans with the various gimmicks involving  Box of WvW supplies. If they don't want to do that, then the problem goes beyond not wanting to deal with WvW.

The only issue is with Conflux really.

I'm all for improving reward track times and whatnot, but the options already exist.

And people will complain regardless anyways. How about Legendary Armor? You can already get that solely in pve yet...

It never will end.

28 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I only care to get the pve players who don't want to give wvw a fair chance, don't enjoy wvw or pvp, and moan and groan about gift out of wvw and the forums.

If they want to get the reward, they need to go and do the content that rewards it. If they don't want to do said content, they don't get the reward.

This is all the fairness required for the acquisition of the GoB.

Moving the GoB even further into PvE territory than it already is, would not be fairness. That'd be no more than catering towards the PvE crowd with acute WvW allergy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

possible solution would be to make the GoB available in spawn trader for Memories of Battle.

So PvE players really could just buy Memories of Battle from TP and get that GoB then.

So actually the PvE buys MoB from WvW Players to gain the GoB if they dont want to play for it.

I can understand that its too frustrating taking part in something you have no interest in to learn how it all functions or how to 1vs1 or whatever.

so before any further clouds are forming because of this while most the clouds have no fun and wouldnt even be there just find an different solution then.

this oldish anet style to drive people into all content just to tell "our players love all gamemodes" comes still from old times where Mike O'Brien was CEO and even told in interviews "WvW-Players would be really into PvE" not meantioning that he created the game so WvW Players need PVE Gear System..

• Like 1

I don't enjoy wvw, but don't complain about it either...  I ensure my reward track buffs and boosters are maximized for the experience, try to log on when there's enough action to follow a tag, and dutifully spend 6-8 hours every six months or so, when I want another GoB.  I'm not usually patient enough to prolong the experience by dragging it out for the months it would take to rely on a minimalist (i.e. Daily... though boy do I get excited for 'Big Spender'!) approach.  

Value... 6-8 hours is conservatively what?  150g that could be acquired playing other modes?  I would pay that to avoid spending time on something I see as a necessary evil for a higher purpose, and not enjoyed for the gameplay itself... Would the cost plummet substantially below that, with a glut of supply provided by core players?  Probably eventually, though guessing as the market dropped, the supply would level off as well, with fewer players bothering to invest in that reward track.

Regarding the whole 'fairness' thing, the argument I see over and over seems to be more vindictive; 'we have to do pve, so you have to do wve'... I guess I would wonder whether core wvw players would want us marginally-interested players polluting their map... seems like we would be a hindrance?  As mentioned, I make the best of it, but certainly am not an asset to my team... 

Anyway, just my two cents.. The elimination of the wvw component from Gift of Exploration years ago was a welcome time saver, so at this point, a little time spent at this point is not a huge deal.

I hadn't done much WvW but found myself once again needing not only the gift but clovers for a gen 2 I decided to make few weeks ago. I figured I would bang out some tracks for the clovers and get the gift and be on my way.  I had plenty of xp boosters and the like to try and maximize my return. Upon arriving on the battle field I found one team or server basically owned everything and it wasnt the team I was on.

Long story short after a few days I just let the reality sink in that it was going to be a bit of a challenge. As it was designed I suppose.  There were times I would log in and there would be almost no one on my team which made it difficult. Anyway. 

I managed to get the gift and did several track for clovers and even banged out the warclaw track at the end( which I should have did first). Was it fun? At times it was fun especially if I managed to log in when my side actually had players participating. That being said it is not something I look forward to repeating. However next time I will know what I am up against and a little better prepared. 

I guess in the end it made making my legendary that much more rewarding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

I guess I would wonder whether core wvw players would want us marginally-interested players polluting their map... seems like we would be a hindrance?  As mentioned, I make the best of it, but certainly am not an asset to my team... 

For the most part no, unless queues are involved, and it's also dubious how much of the queue is just to farm legendaries to begin with.  And at some point they will be gone anyways.

In general, queue blaming is extremely overrated.

There are also many players that play WvW without the intention of actually playing for their team but like to do their own thing or simply aren't very good. Regardless, nobody should feel compelled to do play for their team.

Also consider the fact that a liability on one team is a free bag to the other teams.