Why ArenaNet does not promote game via Twitch Drops?

Stabzero.5210

Right now there is only 296 viewers overall watching Guild Wars 2 streams. For example game with drops on and potentially similiar playerbase (I do not want mention name of games) has right now between 5-10k (depends which game)

First of all - I am not streamer, just New player that joined world of Guild Wars 2 week ago.

I wonder why ArenaNet so, ultra, very, very rarely uses this form of promotion?

All in all, I'm a little surprised by the publisher's passivity compared to what I've seen or am seeing in other MMOs and how publishers try to catch the attention of potential "customers".

In other games, MMO Twitch Drops take place once a month and here as people told me Twitch drops happens very rare? Especially during Christmas time?

This is probably one of the best ways to boost the game's "viewership" stats and position it higher in the MMO category on twitch - let's leave aside the fact that a lot of people are "watching" the stream in the background, but still positioning the game higher on the list may be of interest to new or old players who used to play..

Edited by Stabzero.5210
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

10 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

... it's christmas day, most streamers are spending time with their families

For example game with drops on and potentially similiar playerbase (I do not want mention name of games) has right now between 5-10k (depends which game)

Without christmas day it's between 500-800 ppl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

The "fan" "community" or whatever sites should embed some streams to run when people are looking at whatever guide or build they have, instant legal viewbotting like some other games or organizations like Fextralife do.

Doesn't that require people to click on the embedded stream ?

As has been pointed out, today is a major holiday so viewership is down across the board. Plus you were looking at Twitch during an off-peak time (It's up to 1k viewers as of this post). Once some of the bigger name streamers start, that number goes up because GW2 just isn't super interesting to watch most of the time and it's the streamer's community that keeps people coming back.

Yes drops do artificially inflate views, but it's passive engagement rather than active engagement. Something to show the shareholders or friends if you're in a MMO vs MMO argument with them and are using Twitch views as a solid metric, not something that people playing the game would notice was happening.

Anet absolutely needs better marketing, but Twitch drops don't really advertise to anyone who isn't already playing the game, though the rewards from them are such only newer players would be interested in them except for maybe the makeover kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

As has been pointed out, today is a major holiday so viewership is down across the board. Plus you were looking at Twitch during an off-peak time (It's up to 1k viewers as of this post). Once some of the bigger name streamers start, that number goes up because GW2 just isn't super interesting to watch most of the time and it's the streamer's community that keeps people coming back.

Seems like you did not read my post carefully.

• Confused 2

I'd rather be playing the game than watching the streams honestly...Why am I going to waste my time watching someone telling me how awesome something is and not going in and doing/playing it myself?  Also, when I need to take a break from the game, I'm not going to spend my time watching streams about the game either.  Break time is a time to unplug from the game and go and do something else for a change, like read a book or knit or crochet for me or actually talk to friends and family.

I mean, I've plugged into a few streamers here and there for different games and honestly?  They're not that entertaining to me.  I mean, sure, if you're new to any game, they can be informative to a point...but, if I need information...I'd rather employ some google-fu and look for the answer than going to some stream and type in a question that may get missed and have to wait forever to get it answered, or not.  I can find what I need faster on my own than going to twitch and hopping onto some livestream.

But...perhaps that is just me showing my age...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Luks.4230 said:

In november 2020 WoW had a peak of 950k views on twitch and nowadays average view of 65k. Lmao

1. Gw2 ins't WoW, and investing on twitch will not turn gw2 into a WoW, 

in the same way wearing shoes the same color as elon musk is not going to make you rich.

2. the exception does not make the rule, it confirms the rule.

3. Twitch itself is on decline: https://www.svg.com/1127040/twitch-just-had-its-biggest-viewership-decline-in-years/

4. theres a decline on "gaming stream platforms". 

"ith regard to the latter, the report states that all platforms, which include Twitch, Facebook Gaming, and YouTube Gaming Live, have seen a drop in total hours watched, with only the former experiencing a bit of a growth when compared to the last quarter." https://gamerant.com/twitch-streaming-platforms-decline-growth-2022/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, PhantomKitty.6520 said:

I'd rather be playing the game than watching the streams honestly...Why am I going to waste my time watching someone telling me how awesome something is and not going in and doing/playing it myself? 

I have said the same thing in the past but after browsing around a bit for a different game I've changed my mind a bit. Ultimately you are watching the streamer(s) not the game they are playing. The game is mostly background although it still matters.  So far there is only one GW2 streamer I enjoy watching versus 4 for the other game. Part of that is also due to the number of people streaming GW2 versus the other game.

• Confused 2

They could add a perma twitch shop like SMITE has. Weekly you can get an amount of points for watching gw2, and you have a store to buy some skins that goes on rotation. That makes SMITE always have a good amount of ppl watching twitch smite streamers, aside of major tournaments or announcements.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Luks.4230 said:

In november 2020 WoW had a peak of 950k views on twitch and nowadays average view of 65k. Lmao

This is a poor argument given the fact WoW is the literal GRANDFATHER of MMOs while GW2 has only been out since 2012. WoW created an etching for other mmos to follow while GW2 simply made a niche in the once oversaturated market of WoW clones. If you're at least going to use WoW, use an mmo that even closely compare as to the reason WHY they have that many viewers in the first place.

Christ, I swear people can't create a proper comparison at all when it comes to mmos.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

This is a poor argument given the fact WoW is the literal GRANDFATHER of MMOs while GW2 has only been out since 2012. WoW created an etching for other mmos to follow while GW2 simply made a niche in the once oversaturated market of WoW clones. If you're at least going to use WoW, use an mmo that even closely compare as to the reason WHY they have that many viewers in the first place.

Christ, I swear people can't create a proper comparison at all when it comes to mmos.

"only been out since 2012" LOL

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Wait, you mean there's more to Twitch than cleavage exploiters?  /s

On a less sarcastic note, I think I have a Twitch account, but, as with Twitter, I couldn't tell you the last time I actually used it, or if I even reinstalled it after my last computer rebuild.  The odds are that I haven't, because I just don't use it.  I have a couple of trusted game reviewers I watch for information on games that I may be interested in, and for games that I already own, I'll play them, instead of watching them on Twitch...  It's why I got them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

You guys are so wrong and spread missinformation.

Gw2 comes from gw1 which was a massive success, in fact loaaads of months from 2005-2007 gw1 was in the top 10 most popular/played game (not only mmo) of any game. Giving even wow some competition.

So its not like gw2 has been out since 2012 and it came from the dust lol. You know how many million accounts gw1 has, with 4 expansions and all paid? no f2p.

And we cant also deny the fact that gw2 at launch and even years after launch was a big dissapointment. Dropping population hell fast. Just go watch the video of most popular games from 2005-2020 and youll see GW1 was more popular in its time than GW2.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4