MAG: So what do they do differently that the rest of us arent doing?

Ausar.9542

18 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

Mag embodies my preferred playstyle, but I just don't want to deal with the internal environment they've created.

Other NA servers are way too deep into the Great Man theory of WvW where this or that commander carries a whole server and no one bothers to do anything when he's away.  That's not to say that these commanders aren't doing great work, just that the server is a lot weaker when work can only be done when commanders are present.

Or people who just stand there and don't engage when the opposing team is there. Even telling people to push doesn't do anything. A pug comm telling people to push doesn't do much either. The number of times I have died because we were evenly matched against the attacking group, and people decided to stay on the walls and watch. I then roam and flip camps and sentries because there is no way objectives are going to be defended and I'm not donating my bags anymore. 

Mag pushes.

And no, I am not on Mag. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

When my server is paired with Mag, and I am out scouting/roaming, they show up when I call out enemy sightings and movement to a degree that I dont see from any other server. And when they show up they are ready to fight. Aggressive. 

This gives an almost psy-ops element to their gameplay by creating an impression for their foes that they are always on the verge of being overwhelmed. This can be self fulfilling as some people dont log into WvW when facing Mag. I know that many of my friends, guildies, etc chose not to play WvW, or at least not as much, when we last faced Mag.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, lotus.5672 said:

ANOTHER EXEMPLE OF TOXIC MAG PLAYERS SPAWNCAMPING ONLY WHEN THEY OUTNUMBER THEIR ENEMIES!

FACT!

Looks like JQ could easily push them back into their safe portal, not sure why they still hug the invuln and barely cross the bridge. Go JQ i believe in you.

Edited by CavaleiroV.1904
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, moutzaheadin.4029 said:

I can say for certainty that it dumbs down your individual skill and awareness. Almost makes you numb to your surroundings. On top of that, you need to be in the group as each party has a set comp. 1 person missing and that party is hindered.

Pretty much this. Positioning use to be one of the most important aspects to combat, now we have entire groups sitting in doodoo trying to tank everything, a good number of them get punished for it, but geez they never learn from it is the problem! The spam just encourages them to sit in it longer. But I saw this other group survive it all we can too! yeah but they were constantly moving! duh!

Boon spam have made groups and commanders so lazy, and this is what the poor newbs to wvw get to learn from. Now little timmy you be a good boy and bring your meta class, and follow my tag, look at it, nothing else, even if I stand in lava or red doodoo, ok? otay!

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Pretty much this. Positioning use to be one of the most important aspects to combat, now we have entire groups sitting in doodoo trying to tank everything, a good number of them get punished for it, but geez they never learn from it is the problem! The spam just encourages them to sit in it longer. But I saw this other group survive it all we can too! yeah but they were constantly moving! duh!

Boon spam have made groups and commanders so lazy, and this is what the poor newbs to wvw get to learn from. Now little timmy you be a good boy and bring your meta class, and follow my tag, look at it, nothing else, even if I stand in lava or red doodoo, ok? otay!

the worst part about this boon ball meta is when you have squads of 40 that can't be killed thinking they're good and they come to the forums or make alts on your servers to talk kitten when 30 of them are support healers with only 10 dps zerging 1 guy getting 1 kill every 2 minutes lol pretty crazy

edit: also the res signets and life of illusion carries them, if no downstate was permanent wvw would be so much better

Edited by Stash.8401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

The number of times I have died because we were evenly matched against the attacking group, and people decided to stay on the walls and watch. I then roam and flip camps and sentries because there is no way objectives are going to be defended and I'm not donating my bags anymore. 

This pretty much is the answer. People stick to walls because they have no confidence in their ability to fight away from one so they are too far away to do anything useful. This results them in getting less kills because they lack aggression and damage, and thus even when they outnumber the enemy they cannot secure many, if at all, kills. You know, imaginary repair bills are too much. They never improve and it just gets worse and worse.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to go back in the portal if it gets too hot but to these people anything more than a yak outside is too dangerous.

Some people on my server refer to enemy players as "trolls". Who exactly is a troll? Well, anybody that kills them. And they just cry endlessly about it. Sorta like what people do here. That's no path to improvement, I think.

And sure numbers are an issue, but the fact is these people are simply no threat. You may have seen random roamers charge into a group of 5-6 knowing they can't win but they sometimes have a good chance of downing or maybe even killing someone. Most of the time they won't be able to finish anyone off, but at the very least they can be a threat and you have to respect that damage to some degree. You might be forced to be careful and save cooldowns instead of freecasting without any interruption.

Now add a few more to their side and suddenly they become a heck of a lot more  dangerous.

On the other hand you have the zero threat players that cannot make an impact. They don't support, they don't bunker, they don't CC, they don't heal, and they certainly can't kill anyone. So naturally the enemy ends up walking up in their face and running them over like an extra in a bad martial arts film.

It's actually pretty funny how many enemies die to simply being cleaved out,. like you don't even know they're there and they go down.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, solemn.9670 said:

I was on mag for quite awhile. They don't need tags. They arent in discord 99% of the time. They just know how to play the game.

The fact that this is shocking to anyone is exactly why mag always wins

Play the game good and get good results, amazing who would've guessed

It's obviously the same with other servers, not on discord and no tag most of the time. If it wasn't obvious enough, you got coverage majority of the time. There's a reason why people call Mag a stacked server. That's also the reason why Mag always win by overwhelming enemies with your numbers and coverage. We aren't complaining about Mag skills as most of you won't engage or get floored with equal numbers because Mag prefers one-sided fights and thus callout for more people. There's also no good game and no good result when badly outnumbered. At this point, only Mag get good game and good result, amazing, right? Who would have guessed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

@TheGrimm.5624

Whatever happened to Julian bragging here about how "small" Mag beats Full servers?  What's Mag's excuse now when they bragging about being Full and beating Very High/High servers?

Nothing has changed. Mag pugs are overall significantly better than other server pugs. Numbers are not the issue here.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, moutzaheadin.4029 said:

the right answer is. All of server A’s kills are server b and c. 

all of server b and c’s kills are of just server A.

same with the deaths. It’s extremely uncanny when you take the image and see where the kills/deaths are being generated from. 

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more concentrated effort. I think it’s great. It’s been super busy aswell.

~obs

Statistics is the art of proving something with partial numbers and math. So I wasn't there so I can't yah or nay you weren't spawn camping. Based on the numbers I would say you were. So mind providing more real numbers showing you didn't outnumber them while spawn camping? Based on what you provided and the out of balance deaths you weren't facing more. I don't mind not defending you peeps, again not a fan when people attack any server, hence I will especially when comments are really kind of out of bounds like ANet bust up a server kind of thing.  So again to counter, how many times did they hit you off EBG to draw your people elsewhere? If they didn't that's on them. You also ignored the other question which was to your sides game play, why leave someone to have SMC? Mag doesn't, are you saying you don't agree? Quite often when watching people play Mag they don't push back or play as they should on EB. You don't let them poke you and drive the content, you need to reverse that and do it yourself. That's not a jab at Mag but how people play against them. 

12 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

For players who are also math and stats enjoyers, I recommend setting up an account and API key on gw2mists.com.

I admit I haven't used that site. Have seen a lot of EU use it as reference. Do you know if it only collect stats from people that apply APIs or does it have an API that can pull in all stats out of curiosity?

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
spelling

7 hours ago, lotus.5672 said:

ANOTHER EXEMPLE OF TOXIC MAG PLAYERS SPAWNCAMPING ONLY WHEN THEY OUTNUMBER THEIR ENEMIES!

FACT!

Still not sure why obs' referenced this account, so if the same person, don't its kind of cheesy, nothing wrong with defending your server. To the video from the outside, agree it doesn't show outnumbered on either side from what I watched, I also didn't see what side three was doing. Again, its less Mag and more player tactics. How many roamers and havocs exited from sides to hit flanks? What was the server not in the fight doing? Why play at a choke point versus leave a token distraction and lure and kill elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Stash.8401 said:

this thread is great :classic_laugh:

This thread is getting a bit close to a match up thread versus lending insight into other potential changes or to help people maybe start to ask themselves more, why didn't that work. But glad you are enjoying it 🙂. Entertainment has its own value. Its also funny when we see one mass outcry on the forums and then see the polar opposite in map chat. Its always a good reminder to ANet that the forums can be directional and dead wrong to the larger player base so more forums/Reddit and in game polls are recommended on top of the blind polls they email.

4 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

And sure numbers are an issue, but the fact is these people are simply no threat. You may have seen random roamers charge into a group of 5-6 knowing they can't win but they sometimes have a good chance of downing or maybe even killing someone. Most of the time they won't be able to finish anyone off, but at the very least they can be a threat

This isn't even just Mag. You see a group of 6 come for a camp, you attack. Sure you have odds to lose but if you drop any they doubt. If they come back you do it again. They doubt more. Keep it up and their doubt works against them. A big part of the game is the mental game. The key is playing it to your odds versus theirs. With Mag again, don't play their games, play yours. If you don't please don't come to the forums asking for them to break Mag up else idiots like me will have to try and defend them.

11 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

The number of times I have died because we were evenly matched against the attacking group, and people decided to stay on the walls and watch.

That is the same people that later come to the forums and whine because "some matchups are unfair".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

The irony I found was that the video posted about Mag was spamming boons left right and central. One boon spam to win them all seems it seems lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Still not sure why obs' referenced this account, so if the same person, don't its kind of cheesy, nothing wrong with defending your server. To the video from the outside, agree it doesn't show outnumbered on either side from what I watched, I also didn't see what side three was doing. Again, its less Mag and more player tactics. How many roamers and havocs exited from sides to hit flanks? What was the server not in the fight doing? Why play at a choke point versus leave a token distraction and lure and kill elsewhere. 

Idk man, everytime I see a post of yours I just scroll down, aint nobody got time to read essays about wvw

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

The irony I found was that the video posted about Mag was spamming boons left right and central. One boon spam to win them all seems it seems lol. 

Practically every class has boons to spam at this point, can't get away from it, and getting harder to get rid of it.  🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1