How does defense credit actually work now?

timetopat.7921

I dont see a pattern unless its related to specific buildings. 

Example 1. 3 way zerg fight all around klovan. 30 Blues destroyed wall, we wiped them and their siege. Red blob comes from other side, goes for the gate, we kill them eventually. It lasted over 3 events, 50+ players killed, 0 defense credit. 

Example 2. Our green garry gets attacked by 30 guild blob. We eventually kill them on inner gate. No defense credit. 

Example 3. Yesterday we defend SMC against a few random reds. We were much bigger. Gold participation every time. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I dont see a pattern unless its related to specific buildings. 

Example 1. 3 way zerg fight all around klovan. 30 Blues destroyed wall, we wiped them and their siege. Red blob comes from other side, goes for the gate, we kill them eventually. It lasted over 3 events, 50+ players killed, 0 defense credit. 

Example 2. Our green garry gets attacked by 30 guild blob. We eventually kill them on inner gate. No defense credit. 

Example 3. Yesterday we defend SMC against a few random reds. We were much bigger. Gold participation every time. 

Was the lord aggro'd in any of those scenarios?

21 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I wonder if this could be due to a requirement for the enemy to have "done something" in which case the smaller the attacking group the more likely that they have all "done something" in the process, whereas a 50 person blob can arrive, and 45 of them haven't "done something" yet.  Just as an example, if "done something" only includes damaging the lord, they can take down the outer wall and start on the inner wall before being wiped without any of them having attacked the lord.

Maybe there is some sort of perverse satisfaction there for support players in that they may never contribute to a defender getting a defense credit...

8 minutes ago, blp.3489 said:

I wonder if this could be due to a requirement for the enemy to have "done something" in which case the smaller the attacking group the more likely that they have all "done something" in the process, whereas a 50 person blob can arrive, and 45 of them haven't "done something" yet. 

Thats possible, yes. The SMC reds were all killing guards. There are lots around smc. 

The zergs and blob participation probably gets highly dilluted on those 2-6 guards they encounter. 

7 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Thats possible, yes. The SMC reds were all killing guards. There are lots around smc. 

The zergs and blob participation probably gets highly dilluted on those 2-6 guards they encounter. 

So then maybe it's a chain reaction that needs to happen. If you had like 3 people on catas, they broke the wall, only those 3 would get credit for it, defenders would then only get credit for a defense if they killed one of those 3, or the catas. Same with guards, only so many around and with a zerg it's more than likely most of them wouldn't have gotten credit on kills for them, so even just killing those players wouldn't give credit for a defense since technically they didn't register as a threat to the objective but as a random kill nearby. SMC tends to have a ton of guards that respawn fairly quickly too.

In a way the system kinda makes sense this way, if you had some random run by and aggro the guards without killing, but you run the person down and kill them, you probably wouldn't receive credit for defending because technically they weren't a threat to the objective, they just ran by it. The real threats are the one that killed the guards or broken the wall/gate. Which by this theory gate breakins should probably register more threats, since you can damage a gate with auto attacks, but you can't do the same for walls. Maybe some people from two servers in a match wanna test these theories out in some remote tower or something.

Yesterday for about 30 minutes a group I was in of about 30 defended a tower. There was another group that was separate from our tag, so I have no idea what there results were but this is what we saw:

There is no chance the people running a siege engine came to the tower. There was a separate group attacking and the siege never stopped.

The attackers never got close to the lord, would not have likely even hit a guard though they could have been shot by one.

We generally try to bait/pull attackers to us and make sure that we can all see the tower timer.

Over that 30 minutes some in the raid got 5-6 tower defenses, others got 1-2. We were all fighting the same people, we all got xp for the kills. It had nothing to do with what the attackers were or were not doing, it was just straight up fighting each other.

I agree it's not random, but it is either buggy as hell or there is some hidden metric outside of getting xp during an active timer that we don't know about. I saw on reddit someone mentioned that only people that do a certain amount of damage will get defender.

We do have one guildmate that says the best way to get tower defender is to run an arrow cart. She never missed a timer while running one. I haven't tested that myself yet.

• Like 1

Running theory is people getting out of combat stops you from getting credit for the kill. There is also the issue of not doing enough damage, which makes playing a support penalizing.

Another possible problem is any deaths occurring outside of an arbitrary area for the defense event, so the most successful defenses would be on lord room or inner (keep/SMC).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1