It should be the time to open the Domain of the Winds now

gem.9038

18 minutes ago, circuitnerd.5863 said:

We've established connections with Tengu in Echovald and they have been going back and forth through the portal to LA for over a year now. I think it's time to finally visit the Domain of the Winds. 

Nah, it's too windy out there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

If you mean the asura gate in Arborstone then that was established just recently (with the base of operations mastery). You're mixing up real life years with ingame ones. The Icebrood Saga ended 1334 AE and EoD began 1335 AE which is still the current year in Tyria.

If the tengu do have a portal it's probably inside the Dominion of Winds and the connecting gate is hidden somewhere in Cantha. I'd say more likely they travel by other means. But I do agree that DoW is good idea for new expansion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've been wanting to see the Domain of Winds since the game came out, I keep hoping we'll get to go there one day. But Anet would have to create at least 1 map to fill that space, possibly more than one, so it's only going to happen if we get an expansion or Living World story set there. Which could happen, but I suspect we'll have to wait until Anet thinks it fits the story they want to tell.

I wonder if they'd originally planned to make tengu a playable race at some point. There's a lot of lore about their society compared to other non-playable races, if I remember right they use the same base model as charr and can wear the same armour and use the same weapons as playable races, and the Domain of Winds is about the right size for a city and starter map, with a border with Kessex Hills so that could be their level 15-25 map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

You're mixing up real life years with ingame ones. The Icebrood Saga ended 1334 AE and EoD began 1335 AE which is still the current year in Tyria.

There is no mixing up, real life and in game years are synchronized, so the portal exists since more than a year, tyria time, now. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

There is no mixing up, real life and in game years are synchronized, so the portal exists since more than a year, tyria time, now. 

They unsynched them a while ago. As per the wiki, if they kept the synching it would be 1336AE, but it is still 1335AE which was when EoD kicked off

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

That was the original concept which they abandoned. I think they still try to keep it as close as possible but there have been discrepancies before so it's not a given.

The referenced comment from Angel McCoy: "The conflict here is between the reality of game design and needing to fit the calendar properly. When we introduced the Journal, we committed to fitting our Living World releases in a specific timeline. The unfortunate reality is that we can't always release new releases one right after the other – especially not if you want them to be as awesome as you (and we) want them to be. I understand that this disconnects the calendars, but Tyria is a fictional place, and you can't expect time to flow exactly as it does in the real world. We learned this lesson too when we realized we could not keep to a truly monthly schedule and maintain the quality bar we demand. At the time I made those statements about aligning the calendars, our goal WAS to align the calendars. That did not turn out to be possible."

• Like 1

Oh yes, It could be awsome, they could put the map of the area behind the walls of Caledon Forest and then another map maybe in the sea area right to that, maybe entirely made of fluctuating islands above the sea, that could be quite thematic in a domain of the winds 😄

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 8:15 AM, PolarBear.3961 said:

I hoped it would come with eod but oh well... the map is super small for an expac too. It could be a cool start zone for playable tengu tho ! Hope is all we have i guess.

It seems like it would be a good map size for 2 quarterly updates. That way, it could still be associated with a mini-expac, but would not need to be 3-4 maps big. It could also be a good starting point for a Tengu-themed storyline that way as well, with the next mini-expac afterward being Tengu-centered with us visiting other Tengu occupied areas in Tyria.

Edited by Poormany.4507

On 3/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

They are "synchronized" only in general sense. It's not strict, and it's definitely not a direct, linear mapping. I mean, in real life there were 4 months in-between chapter 5 and 6 of LS4, but in-game it was few days at best. And it's not the first such case.

So, you can use real life as a some sort of general approximation of how the time flows, but it doesn't really work for trying to figure out how much time passed between two specific events. Especially in case of events from two subsequent chapters of storyline (like in this case EoD to Gyala).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/28/2023 at 6:43 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

I've been wanting to see the Domain of Winds since the game came out, I keep hoping we'll get to go there one day. But Anet would have to create at least 1 map to fill that space, possibly more than one, so it's only going to happen if we get an expansion or Living World story set there. Which could happen, but I suspect we'll have to wait until Anet thinks it fits the story they want to tell.

I wonder if they'd originally planned to make tengu a playable race at some point. There's a lot of lore about their society compared to other non-playable races, if I remember right they use the same base model as charr and can wear the same armour and use the same weapons as playable races, and the Domain of Winds is about the right size for a city and starter map, with a border with Kessex Hills so that could be their level 15-25 map.

They were originally planned to be playable, but were cut early on in development I believe. Not sure if we got charr/sylvari or something else instead or if it was just -1 from the original total. Honestly would be great to have them playable though. One rare opportunity with the mini expacs is in allowing for that compact story they could add them as playable. We'll see I suppose.