Paired with German Server -.-

Sparetent.9756

Who's bright idea was it to pair an ENGLISH speaking server with a GERMAN speaking server?!?

Really? If I wanted to speak German 24//7 on the chat, I would've joined a German server when I created my account!

I don't have a personal problem with German players or people. It's just extremely frustrating not understanding what the heck is being said in chat. And if you dare to ask people to please speak English, you are either ignored or attacked.

I'd like to respectfully request that you dismiss the Dev that decided to do this. Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Interestingly, I think there are 3 current pairings like this.

Anyway, I guess its a question of do you want them to focus on trying to best balance server pairings with a slight language barrier, or do you want unbalanced server pairings that are incredibly stale because they've been paired together 1000 times, but stable language?

Heck, even the international servers have mixed language in chat sometimes.

Dumbest thing ever paring with a non-English server. Honestly.

Joined an "open" tag today, where they required TS3 to join. Apparently it is a German/English commander/group, where they speak only German. Not sure how that is German/English, but ok. So I joined, get the password, get into the squad. The map chat, team chat, squad chat and voice chat are all 100% German. I have no clue what is going on, mute TS3 and just solo play around the tag.

Great job guys.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Sparetent.9756 said:

Joined an "open" tag today, where they required TS3 to join. Apparently it is a German/English commander/group, where they speak only German. Not sure how that is German/English, but ok. So I joined, get the password, get into the squad. The map chat, team chat, squad chat and voice chat are all 100% German. I have no clue what is going on, mute TS3 and just solo play around the tag.

Great job guys.

Good time to learn a new language then.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Great job guys.

Why dont you tag up yourself and demand English for joining your squad then?

Problem solved.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

I don't have a personal problem with German players or people. It's just extremely frustrating not understanding what the heck is being said in chat. And if you dare to ask people to please speak English, you are either ignored or attacked..

It's hilarious how Euros all speak English, but English very rarely speak any other language (and typically have difficulty with their native tongue). 

If you ask what a word means and put the effort in, they'll tell you as well as shift to using English. If you start making demands you'll come off like a Brit in Gibraltar.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Who's bright idea was it to pair an ENGLISH speaking server with a GERMAN speaking server?!?

Really? If I wanted to speak German 24//7 on the chat, I would've joined a German server when I created my account!

I don't have a personal problem with German players or people. It's just extremely frustrating not understanding what the heck is being said in chat. And if you dare to ask people to please speak English, you are either ignored or attacked.

I'd like to respectfully request that you dismiss the Dev that decided to do this. Thanks.

It's quite similar when our German server gets paired with a French or a Spanish one -- some do refer to English during such linkings, others prefer to stick to their native language because they are not good at English.

Once Alliances go live, this problem will no longer exist, I presume.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

It's hilarious how Euros all speak English, but English very rarely speak any other language (and typically have difficulty with their native tongue). 

If you ask what a word means and put the effort in, they'll tell you as well as shift to using English. If you start making demands you'll come off like a Brit in Gibraltar.

Exactly, almost everyone speaks English but few English know other languages. So it blows my mind why they won't use it. I'm trying to learn WvW and like to hear the explanations, all of which are done in German. Sure you can pick up odd words like "left" or "right" and "bomb" etc. But that doesn't help. And it's frustrating to be excluded and forced to listen to another language constantly outside of battle. As I said, join, mute, play. I don't learn anything, but at least I get my pips.

As for English speaking commanders, they are just as bad. For some reason it's almost a status thing to be able to speak as fast as possible. It's stupid! I think that is a mark of a bad commander. They should speak slowly, clearly and communicate their intent so people can follow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Exactly, almost everyone speaks English but few English know other languages. So it blows my mind why they won't use it. I'm trying to learn WvW and like to hear the explanations, all of which are done in German. Sure you can pick up odd words like "left" or "right" and "bomb" etc. But that doesn't help. And it's frustrating to be excluded and forced to listen to another language constantly outside of battle. As I said, join, mute, play. I don't learn anything, but at least I get my pips.

As for English speaking commanders, they are just as bad. For some reason it's almost a status thing to be able to speak as fast as possible. It's stupid! I think that is a mark of a bad commander. They should speak slowly, clearly and communicate their intent so people can follow.

Did you even tell the commander that you don´t understand german? I don´t know a single german commander that refuses to lead in english if needed. It´s even usually the other way around: most german commanders make almost all their calls in english anyway (many germans actually play with the english client btw). It´s just a handful of german commanders that actually lead fully in german. 

And ALL the commanders i´ve encountered over the last years of different linkings, were switching to an english lead once they got asked to. 

Sure, this will probably not prevent them from doing the occasional trashtalk in german when there's downtime/nothing else to do. 

Also, yes, there is a reason on why commanders speak so fast during leads. Because you need to react fast, sometimes on the spot. I know that from my guild-raids, our commander sometimes even changes their mind on how to approach something while they´re still giving their commands in voice, because in that exact same moment the situation changed. So yes, being able to adapt to the situation fast, and giving the orders out fast IS a sign of a good commander. 

And the commands being spoken out fast should NOT be a problem to you. Your biggest task is to stay on the tag, and you don´t need voice for that, just awareness. And if you can stay on tag, that´s almost 50% of everything the commander says covered, the other 50% are also usually the common calls, where you should be able to react just based on one keyword (like "spike", "shades", "wells", "push", "veil" or whatever the relevant call for the profession you are playing is). 

• Like 2

We have/had the exact same problem with Open World since the megaserver happened. Trust me, they were not amused at all to share maps with people who do not speak their native language. If you pick a language-server, you do that for a reason. As far as I remember, they were really pissed for the first few months - some still are.

Most Germans know some English, because it is mandatory in their schools, and the both languages are not that different. If you learn the languages, you can notice that there are a lot of similarities. Both borrowed most of their stuff from ancient latin anyway. In addition, we are playing a game. There are abbreviations and terms which appear all the time.

And if you cannot adapt at all? As mentioned above, they are not happy about the situation as well. When I run dungeons or other group content, sometimes people ask if we can speak German. If that is not the case, it will work out somehow. If you insist in speaking English, there may be people who voluntarily translate via chat or the commander may use a few basic terms if you ask kindly. But you need to speak up. They will not do it baseline and there is no guarantee.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, Sparetent.9756 said:

Tag up and lead in English, problem solved 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Great job guys.

Sounds a lot like you are paired with Abaddon (since Kodash has no leads or activity in the TS xD).

But yeah i get your point, even though iam quite fine with speaking english, it's nowhere near as fun to join a EN Discord Server then the time GER Kodash had regular commanders and a group of friends around german speaking people.

3 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Most Germans know some English, because it is mandatory in their schools,

That wasn’t the case for East Germans before reunification, so around 20% of all Germans above age 45 had to learn Russian and not English at school.

1 hour ago, Thea Cherry.6327 said:

Sounds a lot like you are paired with Abaddon

Or Riverside. Drakkar is solo and Elona in a DE:DE pairing with Dzago and Miller's probably hasn't enough people to make german leads.

Edited by Dayra.7405

On 4/8/2023 at 10:57 PM, Sparetent.9756 said:

Because for some reason, people do actually prefer to use their own language, particularly the Germans and French. 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:57 PM, Sparetent.9756 said:

Sure, but bad commanders is a different issue. But they are actually commanders. What baffles me is how people expect lots of things because they are commanders. Just stop following them if they're bad in your view. THEY DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING.

Besides, you have your own server's people right? So you should be able to find people to play with who do speak English. And if there are too few of those, perhaps you should transfer to another English speaking server with more people on it.

We're currently linked with a French speaking server and before that we were linked with Germans. It's fine. 

• Like 1