New to WvW ...how do you all do it!!???

Joxer.6024

On 4/23/2023 at 4:15 PM, Funky.4861 said:

Those who are recommending harb because it has better healing than scourge/reaper where is that healing coming from in the harb traitline? If your relying on rune/sigil effects that's completely separate.

Blight stacks heal as they expire and a few skills spend blight stacks for quick heals. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:09 AM, Joxer.6024 said:

just wish i could figure out how one is able to use this skill, then this one, then dodge....and then appear from nothing!

Practice Practice Practice 

Aside from that.....

Use a mechanical keyboard because it responds faster.

Use a gaming mouse with the number pad on the side.  All you need to do is move your thumb miniscule distances to activate skills. I have my F5 bound to Mouse 12. F4 bound to Mouse 11.  Took me a few hours to get used to it.

And if you are serious about it then get a gaming monitor. I used to play on a large screen t.v and moved to a high end gaming monitor and the difference was astronomical. Like from a 20 ms delay to a 1 ms delay. Huge impact on game play.

Also watch for patterns. Most people tend to play what is listed as "the best" build listed online and the vast majority run the same play book in combat. Once you know the patterns you know the future.

The first time I came across one of those perma immobilize druids I was taken by surprise and lost badly. But right after, I analyzed the fight in my head and had an "oh crap" realization.

I realized I was far to aggressive.  Changed my game play and next time I came across that ranger, I played more defensive and demolished that ranger while over 80% health.

I've also used character slots to make builds (I did not have an Ele but have thousands of those tombs of knowledge..

You get 1 level per book in wvw)...  then tested the skills myself so I could figure what I needed to do with my wvw avatars.

For example... there was a weaver whom was always a major pain in my backside. I made one, leveled it to 80... tested out skills and rotations.

Now, if he sees me he runs the other way. And that is the same with any ele build. I've taken out 2 catalysts in a 2vs1 fight from doing this.

But this is how I did things. Hope some of this helps a little. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just wish i could figure out how one is able to use this skill, then this one, then dodge....and then appear from nothing!

Aside from that.....

Use a gaming mouse with the number pad on the side.  All you need to do is move your thumb miniscule distances to activate skills. I have my F5 bound to Mouse 12. F4 bound to Mouse 11.  Took me a few hours to get used to it.

And if you are serious about it then get a gaming monitor. I used to play on a large screen t.v and moved to a high end gaming monitor and the difference was astronomical. Like from a 20 ms delay to a 1 ms delay. Huge impact on game play.

Also watch for patterns. Most people tend to play what is listed as "the best" build listed online and the vast majority run the same play book in combat. Once you know the patterns you know the future.

The first time I came across one of those perma immobilize druids I was taken by surprise and lost badly. But right after, I analyzed the fight in my head and had an "oh crap" realization.

I realized I was far to aggressive.  Changed my game play and next time I came across that ranger, I played more defensive and demolished that ranger while over 80% health.

I've also used character slots to make builds (I did not have an Ele but have thousands of those tombs of knowledge..

You get 1 level per book in wvw)...  then tested the skills myself so I could figure what I needed to do with my wvw avatars.

For example... there was a weaver whom was always a major pain in my backside. I made one, leveled it to 80... tested out skills and rotations.

Now, if he sees me he runs the other way. And that is the same with any ele build. I've taken out 2 catalysts in a 2vs1 fight from doing this.

Aside from that.....

Aside from that.....

I realized I was far too aggressive.  Changed my game play and next time I came across that ranger, I played more defensive and demolished that ranger while over 80% health.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jitters.9401 said:

Aside from that.....

I realized I was far too aggressive.  Changed my game play and next time I came across that ranger, I played more defensive and demolished that ranger while over 80% health.

Lot of good points here. Especially emphasis build a toon yourself and practice on it to see how it plays to better know the encounter. Options for practice that will be close but not the same as full WvW is: Test dummies in raid area/sPvP lobby/Armistice Bastion, Guildhall with guildmate, practice golems in the Mistlock Sanctuary (Fractal area), custom sPvP lobbies with guildmates. Again if you are looking for builds there are a number of sites as some have listed above. There is also gw2skills.net where you can layout a build for WvW to see a numbers potentials in skills and traits and what those might equate to. Good hunting!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 6:09 AM, Joxer.6024 said:

Ok, so not totally new but its been over 6yrs so yea, Im rusty. Now, I looked up proper build and all that for roaming and its fun, but wholly &%$^ how do you all fight so fast? I mean sure, NPC mobs in pve are slower and all that but kitten people, you all just off the charts! And i read the guides and such as to what to do, cleanse, cc, kite....all that stuff but for the most part its me screaming OH S***!! and spamming buttons.

Now I have managed to go toe to toe with some folks and have a few kills, but I reckon they just sucked worse than me. Did have one player who was pretty cool, we went at it for what seemed like a long time to me and I almost got him, then they me, then back until finally he got me. But what was cool is they left me in downstate to rez, and just buggered off. Had I been able to say thanks and such I would have, was just cool in my book but I am sure rare as.

And thats the other thing....do 500 people really need to pound on one lil person?  LOL, nah I kid, I get that that whats its all about, just wish i could figure out how one is able to use this skill, then this one, then dodge....and then appear from nothing!

I'm sure its a learning curve so I shall stick with it as its a part of the game I havent done much and am keen. Dare i go pvp??!!  

(oh, and i am on a Harbinger...maybe Reaper better?)

Honestly, you'll be fine. You were able to have a coherent conversation with another player with the intent of improving, which firmly puts you in a superior mindset over many in WvW these days. Usually a lot of hotshots just angrily whisper you and block without letting you reply.

Because above all, a very valued skill in WvW (and in multiplayer) is just good communication skills.  In WvW, it is arguably the most important, should you want to work with the people on your server, and get acquainted with the major groups on it. Compared to other game modes, you'll probably be playing with the same players a lot

This is a far more important resource than any raw skill in this game could give you, as the pugging experience is pretty dull. At the very least, getting acquainted with the regulars is pretty useful if they know you can be relied upon, and vice versa. You don't have to join a guild or anything, but usually finding your way in a server or guild's voice chat is quite useful.

And yes, not all fights are winnable; it's just the nature of the game mode, but if many  people are really attacking you, then you probably did something really good or really stupid. It's fine either way since it ties up their resources. In these cases, it's usually good to build for mobility when you are alone, but it is significantly harder on necro aside from like speed runes or something.

Harbringer is good in small scale, but groups usually prefer scourge or sometimes reaper.

The main difference when it comes to fighting players is that burst damage is usually more important as players can dodge and heal. So it's generally needed to overwhelm them before they can do those things and usually some kind of CC is important so you can setup the burst.

On the other hand, the same applies to you. Sometimes you'll just have to anticipate a burst, and also you can identify how much of a threat a player is. If they just CC you and there's no follow up, then usually you don't have to respect their damage as much and just go after them when they waste cooldown. But as with everything, there's always exceptions and WvW has basically no balance at all so sometimes dumb kitten happens and there's nothing you can do about that. Just roll with it, basically.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3

Returning players:  You have what we didn't at the beginning of the game and for a long time after... 

--we now have  a LOT of player support by gamers who show you how and what to do in WvW as far as builds -- some would say metabattle.com is ok, but it's hit and miss a LOT of the time.  

Better websites are guildjen.com and Valun (youtube)  and a few others who make a huge effort to theorycraft the build and then SHOW YOU how to play in videos that are also entertaining and grin worthy.

Harbinger is great but it takes a while to learn its real strengths and mitigate any weaknesses -- AND always feel free to tweak any build you find for survivability until and IF you can get used to the build -- I found that a single change of a utility can make or break a fight.  

Don't forget your food and tools in WvW -- with the other buffs at structures and map bloodlust, both can make a huge difference in game play and winning or losing.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 6:09 AM, Joxer.6024 said:

Ok, so not totally new but its been over 6yrs so yea, Im rusty. Now, I looked up proper build and all that for roaming and its fun, but wholly &%$^ how do you all fight so fast? I mean sure, NPC mobs in pve are slower and all that but kitten people, you all just off the charts! And i read the guides and such as to what to do, cleanse, cc, kite....all that stuff but for the most part its me screaming OH S***!! and spamming buttons.

Now I have managed to go toe to toe with some folks and have a few kills, but I reckon they just sucked worse than me. Did have one player who was pretty cool, we went at it for what seemed like a long time to me and I almost got him, then they me, then back until finally he got me. But what was cool is they left me in downstate to rez, and just buggered off. Had I been able to say thanks and such I would have, was just cool in my book but I am sure rare as.

And thats the other thing....do 500 people really need to pound on one lil person?  LOL, nah I kid, I get that that whats its all about, just wish i could figure out how one is able to use this skill, then this one, then dodge....and then appear from nothing!

I'm sure its a learning curve so I shall stick with it as its a part of the game I havent done much and am keen. Dare i go pvp??!!  

(oh, and i am on a Harbinger...maybe Reaper better?)

Find good players who will fight you a lot in duels. Bonus points if they explain things to you. Mentorship is the fastest way to become proficient at something for many people, and people in this game tend to be chill if you ask. 

Imo, it’s best to focus on learning to dodge first. A lot of players dodge on instinct or guessing instead of reacting, then rely on rotations and boon cover to bridge the gaps. If you can meaningfully dodge skills, you will be mechanically better than most players. The rest is learning how you class deals damage, which is much easier to learn. 

for example, if you are fighting a warrior, they shouldn’t hit you with a bulls rush unless it’s properly setup. It’s a very obvious, long cast, clear animation skill. But there’s a lot of players who can’t pick up the animation and dodge it, or, blew their dodgers on inconsequential skills and are out of endurance. 

granted most people like to learn how to do damage first because it’s 1. Easier and 2. More immediately rewarded with kills. It’s a fine way to go too depending on what level you are trying to get to.

im not very good though, so take my advice with a grain of salt 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 12:43 PM, Jitters.9401 said:

Aside from that.....

Very good advices here.

Also, try to understand your build: look at the traits that are available and which one are chosen and see the interactions between the traits, the skills, the stats, the runes and the sigils: that way you can understand the basic rotations: knowing how your build works and what are its strengths and limitations is key. it will also help you tweak your build in certain situations (ex: increase your condi cleanse capability if you are fighting purely condi based opponents).

On thing about rotations: this is not like PvE where you usually have a relatively set and long rotation to get the best DPS. In PvP - sPvP or WvW - it's more the context that will push you to use this or that skill, but some skills interact with each other to maximize the impact so you will have a few simple rotations of 3-4 skills that combine well together. learn them and commit them to muscle memory, it will help a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zepoolpe.9217 said:

Very good advices here.

Also, try to understand your build: look at the traits that are available and which one are chosen and see the interactions between the traits, the skills, the stats, the runes and the sigils: that way you can understand the basic rotations: knowing how your build works and what are its strengths and limitations is key. it will also help you tweak your build in certain situations (ex: increase your condi cleanse capability if you are fighting purely condi based opponents).

On thing about rotations: this is not like PvE where you usually have a relatively set and long rotation to get the best DPS. In PvP - sPvP or WvW - it's more the context that will push you to use this or that skill, but some skills interact with each other to maximize the impact so you will have a few simple rotations of 3-4 skills that combine well together. learn them and commit them to muscle memory, it will help a lot.

Good points. Limitations are a big one. Not sure I would say any build is the best against all other builds so knowing what counters what your build is key in saying can I do something about it and build defenses that way or determine you need to change rotation for that situation or just you are weak against it and need to avoid or change playstyle. That just comes after you are more comfortable with your rotations and get better at stopping and asking yourself what happened in that fight and let me look at the log of ins and outs.

The other thing to ask yourself is, do you have abilities that are more conditional and when should you use them. I kick myself every time I trigger an ability I shouldn't have since its the 'use here' ability skills. Not all weapons/skill combos have them but watch out for yourself just triggering an ability that's on cooldown since there are a lot out there that are more meant for, use at this time situation. Example all knockbacks, don't trigger if its up, trigger when it's key to being a knockback. Most CC isn't about being ready but ready when you need it either in a rotation or to interrupt theirs if you can see their pattern.

• Like 1

I... mostly mash the buttons in a robotic sequence designed to give me the maximum amount of advantage possible.  I play weaver because it has so many buttons to mash.  

I'm slow.  I can't look at my status, my enemy's status, my bar, my chat, and all of the surroundings at the same time.  My brain simply doesn't process things fast enough to do it.  So, I try to win before the fight begins.  I look at all of the different strategies and abilities, then I pick out a few that give me the maximum statistical strength and abilities, then I go for those.  I'm forced to profession hop every once in a while, but it is worth it to change the dynamic of the fight.  Once I've figured out the "winning" strategy, then the onus isn't on me to win.  It is on my opponents to try and figure out how to not lose.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/27/2023 at 2:17 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I... mostly mash the buttons in a robotic sequence designed to give me the maximum amount of advantage possible.  I play weaver because it has so many buttons to mash.  

I'm slow.  I can't look at my status, my enemy's status, my bar, my chat, and all of the surroundings at the same time.  My brain simply doesn't process things fast enough to do it.  So, I try to win before the fight begins.  I look at all of the different strategies and abilities, then I pick out a few that give me the maximum statistical strength and abilities, then I go for those.  I'm forced to profession hop every once in a while, but it is worth it to change the dynamic of the fight.  Once I've figured out the "winning" strategy, then the onus isn't on me to win.  It is on my opponents to try and figure out how to not lose.  

lol, that is so me in a nutshell!! 😉

2 hours ago, Lorendyl Azoradaelas.5203 said:

I won a 1v2 as core ele during my first visit to WvW.  They probably had pve builds and stock key bindings.

Ele has been solid overtime and across the various Elites. Never underestimate any Ele when roaming since they have even more flexibility than even Engi in their buildouts.

• Like 1

Just forget anything else you're being told and MEMORIZE YOUR BUILD. Weapon skills, utilities, trait synergies and interactions, build strengths, build weaknesses. Know your build inside out.

Then ask for help if it's still difficult because "I'm just mashing buttons" translates to "I forget what I'm doing and why I'm doing it mid-conbat"

This still happens to me anytime I try something new. It's like learning a new instrument, no one can make you better with magical advice (though it can be very helpful in some cases), you have to practice!

• Like 1