Easiest/Quickest way to get an Ascended Backpiece?

I have 8 level 80 and geared professions if that helps.

I was wondering what is the quickest way to get an ascended back? 

Also I spent my laurens on berserker gear and now realise I want viper 😞 - what would be the quickest easiest way to get 1 amulet + 2 trinkets and + 2 rings?

• Like 1

Viper isn't available from laurels anyway so that is fine. 😉

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket

short answer is LS3/4/IBS. As for "best", whichever one you have the currency for. If you are starting with nothing then Bitterfrost Frontier is probably one of the best but that is mainly because the berries are per character rather than per account

• Like 2

"Viper isn't available from laurels anyway so that is fine."

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! I've been beating myself up for buying berserker first for weeks. 

Can I get all of the trinkets which just Bitterfrost? 

I tried to farm the petrified trees and I didn't like it but the berries is really chill + i like the music and scenery in this zone, it's very pretty. Can I just do the berry map until I have 5 trinkets + backpiece?

Thanks! 

Personally, now that I have little need for specific season 4 currencies, I convert all my IBS shards into Mistborn Motes. You can get backpack/ring/accessory and aqua breather with Winterberries. Then your second ring/accessory (and necklace) can come from Motes.

Blood Rubies and Diflourite crystals are good for rings/accessories as well. But the Winterberries tend to be easiest since you can run that farm as many times as you have characters/patience for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bastien.1645 said:

Can I get all of the trinkets which just Bitterfrost? 

Back, ring and accessory only. You could do 2 rings if you leave one of them unattuned or uninfused

IBS is amulet and accessory and that requires Eternal Ice which is pretty easy to get and karma but you need to complete some achievements to unlock the ability to buy.

29 minutes ago, Bastien.1645 said:

I tried to farm the petrified trees and I didn't like it

One issue with some of the LS3 currencies like the stumps is that they don't have a unique map icon. Is that part of your issue with it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 Bitterfrost Frontier winter berries farm.

2 Bloodstone Fen blood ruby farm (this one allows to reset the stats at the cost of 100 unbound magic).

3 Lake Doric or Siren's Landing currencies farm.

4 Ember's Bay petrified wood farm (albeit I would save this one sfor the accesory instead).

But Bitterfrost is orders of magnitude faster than the others. If you have 4 characters and a raptor you can get enough currency playing 40 minutes between 2 days...

Petrified, rubys and so on were nerfed and you barely get 1 unit x node; a single 5 minute run in Bitterfrost delivers 50+ winterberries and tons of unbound magic.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Back, ring and accessory only. You could do 2 rings if you leave one of them unattuned or uninfused

IBS is amulet and accessory and that requires Eternal Ice which is pretty easy to get and karma but you need to complete some achievements to unlock the ability to buy.

One issue with some of the LS3 currencies like the stumps is that they don't have a unique map icon. Is that part of your issue with it?

I just found the blood stone map too hard, I'm playing a deadeye thief and I die all the time to mobs there, + it's really confusing to be able to travel as I don't have many HOT Masteries unlocked yet. The stumps I didn't mind the map too much but again was fire themed and I prefer snow, and I didn't think it was as quick to get as the berries.

Ok so what I'm hearing is the best thing to do is to to do the berries for the back, 1 ring and 1 accessory. And for the Amulet and Accesory do the LW S5 map (I haven't gotten there yet, I'm playing through the story in chronological order so I just got to Bitterfrost map now).

Some people also suggest the Bloodstone for a cape because you can change/reset the stats. That sounds like a great idea as I'm an altholic but that map was so hard to do events in. Maybe when I'm a bit more experienced and have more masteries I'll try again 🙂

Thanks for your help!! 

• Like 1

LWS3

Back pieces:

Bloodstone Fen

Amber Bay

Siren's Landing

Lake Doric

Trinkets:

All maps.

LWS4.

Dragon's fall and Sandswept isles for trinkets.

WvW for rings.

Though WvW is unpredictable, as you rely on loot, but can accumulate skirmish claim tickets and memories of battle to get them from vendors.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203

4 hours ago, Bastien.1645 said:

Some people also suggest the Bloodstone for a cape because you can change/reset the stats. That sounds like a great idea as I'm an altholic but that map was so hard to do events in. Maybe when I'm a bit more experienced and have more masteries I'll try again 🙂

It does sound nice but it is much nicer just getting all the character their own set of gear. Bloodstone is pretty easy with maxed gliding and the Bloodstone specific stuff you can unlock from the vendor on the airship(one of the skills lets dash while gliding). You can do most of your ruby gathering without doing much combat.

If you've done T1 Fractals and dropped a single Vial of Mists Essence, you can create an ascended backpiece immediately in the Mystic Forge with only a gold or material cost:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/There_with_Yakkington:_A_Traveler's_Tale

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quiver_of_a_Thousand_Arrows

It currently costs about 42G to create (less with more efficiency, like spirit shard promotion), but its your only real option if you don't want to farm Living World.

That said, for eight characters I strongly recommend against farming ascended backpieces over and over as this will quickly burn you out. The legendary backpieces from PvE, PvP and WvW are actually cheaper at that point and you only have to create one of them then you have access to a legendary backpiece with both infusion slots unlocked across all characters forever (with free transmutations).

I made the mistake of farming or crafting ascended for all my alts only to eventually figure out that it only works well for a few characters, and past a certain point you're better off just putting all that time, energy and resources into getting legendary pieces instead.

For example, you could farm 16 separate accessories for every character or you could start on Aurora and Vision at the same time which have a minimum timegate of only ~20 days. It'll actually take you even longer to farm those ascended accessories unless you play 24/7!

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

If you've done T1 Fractals and dropped a single Vial of Mists Essence, you can create an ascended backpiece immediately in the Mystic Forge with only a gold or material cost:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/There_with_Yakkington:_A_Traveler's_Tale

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quiver_of_a_Thousand_Arrows

It currently costs about 42G to create (less with more efficiency, like spirit shard promotion), but its your only real option if you don't want to farm Living World.

That said, for eight characters I strongly recommend against farming ascended backpieces over and over as this will quickly burn you out. The legendary backpieces from PvE, PvP and WvW are actually cheaper at that point and you only have to create one of them then you have access to a legendary backpiece with both infusion slots unlocked across all characters forever (with free transmutations).

I made the mistake of farming or crafting ascended for all my alts only to eventually figure out that it only works well for a few characters, and past a certain point you're better off just putting all that time, energy and resources into getting legendary pieces instead.

For example, you could farm 16 separate accessories for every character or you could start on Aurora and Vision at the same time which have a minimum timegate of only ~20 days. It'll actually take you even longer to farm those ascended accessories unless you play 24/7!

But I thought ascended items aren't soulbound? I can just swap them no? At least the ones I bought with Laurels I can use them on my chars.

But thank you for your advice! I am too scared to do Fractals or Raids at the moment but my goal is to get into WvW and maybe try Fractals if I can find a nice guild once I am done with all of the story campaigns :)) 

9 minutes ago, Bastien.1645 said:

I am too scared to do Fractals

I also am timid of smaller group play, but by sticking to the dailies for T1, I have found that for the most part people are friendly and helpful... A sole newcomer will not bring down an experienced group at this level.

That said, there is a workaround:

1. Use a "Tyrian Exchange Voucher" to obtain 100 Fractal Relics

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyrian_Exchange_Voucher

2. Invest 1 Tyrian Mastery point into the first Fractal Mastery Track - "Follows Advice"...  this unlocks vendor INFUZ 5959 to purchase the Vial of Condensed Mists Essence (for 30 Fractals Relics and 32 Silver)

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

That said, there is a workaround:

1. Use a "Tyrian Exchange Voucher" to obtain 100 Fractal Relics

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyrian_Exchange_Voucher

2. Invest 1 Tyrian Mastery point into the first Fractal Mastery Track - "Follows Advice"...  this unlocks vendor INFUZ 5959 to purchase the Vial of Condensed Mists Essence (for 30 Fractals Relics and 32 Silver)

Best of luck!

Not intended for me, but thanks for this. I already got my WvW backpack but will dip into fractals to pick up the 2 additional backpack skins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bastien.1645 said:

But I thought ascended items aren't soulbound? I can just swap them no? At least the ones I bought with Laurels I can use them on my chars.

But thank you for your advice! I am too scared to do Fractals or Raids at the moment but my goal is to get into WvW and maybe try Fractals if I can find a nice guild once I am done with all of the story campaigns :)) 

This is only true for trinkets. Armor pieces are locked to a certain weight, and not all classes can use all weapons, on top of this you would have to share the same look on all your characters, and use the exact same stats and build since your runes, sigils, etc. aren't hot-swappable as well.

Furthermore if one character has multiple builds (e.g damage and healing), they need multiple ascended sets. It quickly becomes an infinite time and resource sink unless you plan to play only one or two characters across all game modes, except for PvP which doesn't require gear.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bastien.1645 said:

Ok so what I'm hearing is the best thing to do is to to do the berries for the back, 1 ring and 1 accessory. And for the Amulet and Accesory do the LW S5 map (I haven't gotten there yet, I'm playing through the story in chronological order so I just got to Bitterfrost map now).

Bitterfrost Frontier provides ring (which can be infused so you wear 2 of the same kind at the same time, aka 2 rings), ear ring, back piece and underwater respirator (one of the very few places to ger an ascended breather without having to craft it). The farms are ultra fast and the daily cap is for character, not for account. Also, is a uber popular map, since is the fastest way to provide full gtrinkets to your alts in the lower amount of time. At peak times the map has so many players doing runs that most of the foes guarding the winterberries die seconds after being respawn...

Bloodstone Fen provides amulet, ring and back piece and allows to reset the stats for 100 unbound magic; farming is much slower, so a way to get 3 currencies a day is buying a farming home node (costs 50 gold coins, but may be a good inversion due the conveninece of stat swapping).

Bjora Marches is the second most farmeable map, provides amulet and ear ring but only AFTER  completing a couple of quest. Requieres iceshards (easy to farm in chests) and tons of karma, but I get karma faster than I spent it.

With those 3 maps alone you have all the trinkets and back pack and underwater helmet (you can even ditch Bloodstone Fen, albeit its ascended items are extremely conveninet).

After those, the best two are Dragonfall (amulet, ring, ear ring) and Sanswept Isles (ring, ear ring); Dragonfall main event is hugely profitable, but requires all mounts (specially the airborne ones) to be a happy experience.

The other maps from seasons which provide ascended items are less relevant. The whole list:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket

Also, a final note about Bitterfrost: salvaging the underwater respirator used to GRANT one Ball of Dar Energy (required for the Cube which was mandatory for most of the legendary items) so saved me 40-60 gold coins plenty of times. I've read that no longer grants the Ball, which would be lame since is a piece of armor which has the same range of stats as your helmet. Not like bothers me (I've my leggies) but if is true is a bad news for newcomers.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1

I'm always confused when people suggest these grindy living world options for ascended backpieces when these three collections exist.

Chances are you have already done PoF story on a character which makes it much more accessible than any of the previous living stories.

Basically collect 2 chests, do 2 bounties and 2 hearts and you have your ascended back. Unless you for some reason really struggle to find a group/bounty train for the bounties, this takes very little time and most importantly, it is free. Using the mystic forge to forge any of the backpacks there is anything but free.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Endaris.1452 said:

I'm always confused when people suggest these grindy living world options for ascended backpieces when these three collections exist.

I honestly didn't know (or had forgotten about) these. So to get all 3, do you need to go through the story 3 times on different characters? Or just those first steps where you choose a faction?

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I honestly didn't know (or had forgotten about) these. So to get all 3, do you need to go through the story 3 times on different characters? Or just those first steps where you choose a faction?

From what I know, yes, the first completion locks in your choice for that character. I haven't tried replaying the story and picking a different option. The achievement parts can only be completed with a character picking that picked the specific branch too, otherwise the chest items won't drop and the NPCs won't sell the collection item.

There's also an extra achievement that gives you a fourth back for completing all 3.

In any case, for gearing your first character in ascended gear, I think these are absolutely perfect with how they blend into what you're likely doing with your character anyway.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

From what I know, yes, the first completion locks in your choice for that character. I haven't tried replaying the story and picking a different option. The achievement parts can only be completed with a character picking that picked the specific branch too, otherwise the chest items won't drop and the NPCs won't sell the collection item.

There's also an extra achievement that gives you a fourth back for completing all 3.

In any case, for gearing your first character in ascended gear, I think these are absolutely perfect with how they blend into what you're likely doing with your character anyway.

Hello,

Sorry I don't really understand. if I do POF story 3 times i can get 3 backpieces? But the packpiece is not account bound, it is soul bound to the character I completed the story with?

I just finished Episode LW S3 and am about to start POF 

• Confused 1

The backpiece will be account bound as usual.

Early on in PoF story there is a choice where you have to ally with one of three factions (Sunspears, Awakened or none).

The choice you make unlocks the collection for the ascended back piece of the faction you chose to ally with.

The choice affects various dialogs and presence of different NPCs in your story instances, so anet added these 3 collections as an incentive to play through the story which each of the different options picked.

The contents of each of the collections are largely the same, half of it is playing through the story but you need to do it with that specific alliance so that is why it is only possible on characters that picked that specific alliance. You can still say that you ally with the Sunspears on character A, complete the story on it and then start story on character B, ally with the Sunspears again and complete the other parts of the achievement with that character. The collections are not characterbound, they're only bound to "characters that made that story choice".

If you play PoF story again with a different character and make a different choice, then that character can unlock another back, once for each story choice.

Edited by Endaris.1452
clarified details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:20 AM, Bastien.1645 said:

Hello,

Sorry I don't really understand. if I do POF story 3 times i can get 3 backpieces? But the packpiece is not account bound, it is soul bound to the character I completed the story with?

I just finished Episode LW S3 and am about to start POF 

You have to do it on 3 different characters taking 1 of the 3 choices on each.