How will "Hide player visual effects" impact gem store items?

17 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Surprised how much people don't wanna look at other people in an MMO. And, I thought I was shy.

It's less about not wanting to look at other players' characters and more about not wanting to see the needlessly shiny over-exposure to particle vomit.

In some cases, you literally cannot even see the characters, because they are covered in so many layers of particle effects, that they effectively are just light bulbs.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's less about not wanting to look at other players' characters and more about not wanting to see the needlessly shiny over-exposure to particle vomit.

In some cases, you literally cannot even see the characters, because they are covered in so many layers of particle effects, that they effectively are just light bulbs.

Hmm, I see. I suppose it's something that just doesn't bother me. When I see someone like that in combat multiple times, my only thought is, "Oh, it's that guy." My apologies for the assumption. More options are always better, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 11:14 PM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

As someone who has spent quite a bit of money on gem store items, I see a lot of people saying they are going to disable player visual effects.

What I am understanding is that "visual effects" includes minis, pets, etc. "Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments. To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not. At which point, what is the point of buying visual items on the gem store if probably half, if not more, of the player base wont even see it?

As long as I can see my own and the bosses/enemys tells/effects without all other players clutter  is all that really matters.

• Like 3

I dont belive it will affect the gem store too much, since I would like to belive one buys thoses skins for themselves. Myself included I have spent a good deal of USD on it. However, I dont belive everyone should be forced to see how I desire to have my character. The other players should have an option to tone down effects/skins.

Ie:   -Vanilla Mount skins toggle on and off

- Backpack/Trickets on and off option (even on lowest character model setting we are forced to see this)

I agree, I also posted about Giving more visual freedom to the player in the Graphical Options menu, apart from the clear performance loss some Items/Mount skins are too much the game starts too lose its aesthetic. 

This is coming from a GW1/GW2 Player of over a decade. The Gemstore has turned into a bit too much flashy skins which ruin the experience of the game. Seems like they are ripped from another game and placed there rather then blended with the artistic world of GW

• Like 3

So now it's out how does it work with cosmetics? Did the debate over whether it hides infusions ever get settled? Anything else which is affected beyond skill effects?

(I've not been using it myself and haven't had much time to play since the last update, so I haven't seen it in action beyond one brief test in the Eye of the North, but I'm curious about how it works.)

On 5/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Hycinthus.6483 said:

Actually I think this is how most people buy clothes.  1) whether they like it, and 2) how they would like to be perceived wearing it. If #2 is not true, then just take away and imagine losing all the mirrors in your house when you are getting dressed, no need to worry to check the mirror of what you look like. 

That comparison fails due to the fact that people do not live their life from  a 3rd person perspective. At least not without appearing to be a crazy person who walks around with a full length mirror or a camera pointed at themselves all the time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That comparison fails due to the fact that people do not live their life from  a 3rd person perspective. At least not without appearing to be a crazy person who walks around with a full length mirror or a camera pointed at themselves all the time

Randulf agrees with this post

• Haha 3

On 6/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

So just checking I've understood this correctly:

The answer is that the option to hide players' visual effects won't affect gem store cosmetics at all because it only applies to skill effects in combat, not other types of effects that may be on a character like weapon and armour skins, outfits, mounts, infusions etc.

Some people would like an option to disable those as well, but aren't going to get it in this update and that's why there's so much debate about whether or not it should be added.

That is not quite true either. There is no fine grain control but "Character Model" options have existed for a very long time. More like both sides making an issue out of nothing.

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

So now it's out how does it work with cosmetics? Did the debate over whether it hides infusions ever get settled? Anything else which is affected beyond skill effects?

(I've not been using it myself and haven't had much time to play since the last update, so I haven't seen it in action beyond one brief test in the Eye of the North, but I'm curious about how it works.)

I've noticed absolutely no difference from before and after. Reset LLA actually runs worse now for some reason but that is probably unrelated since it seems to be something triggering 1000+ lag spikes.

Edited by Khisanth.2948

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 5:14 AM, FelixWolf.2348 said:

As someone who has spent quite a bit of money on gem store items, I see a lot of people saying they are going to disable player visual effects.

What I am understanding is that "visual effects" includes minis, pets, etc. "Disable player item sounds" already impacts instruments. To me, it sounds like what it is going to do is just set everything to their default models and what not. At which point, what is the point of buying visual items on the gem store if probably half, if not more, of the player base wont even see it?

this reads to me like i spend money to show off and now others wont be able to see how much money i wasted 🙂 get over yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1