CC kills this game

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

longbow 5 is the big aoe from above so no they never did that.

And even then it might have been someone leveling up pushing mobs back or a mesmer with greatsword but the poor rangers always got the blame even if they ran gs+dual axes.

4 is next to 5, so typo.

But  the point s till stands.  You'd have all the defiance stacks ripped from a champ in open world only for someone facerolling their keyboard to launch them back.  Mesmers with greatswords, guardians with hammers, rangers with longbows.   I think Ele on staff too.

But yeah, the ranger hate back then was huge.  I say this as a ranger main from 2012 to 2014.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

4 is next to 5, so typo.

But  the point s till stands.  You'd have all the defiance stacks ripped from a champ in open world only for someone facerolling their keyboard to launch them back.  Mesmers with greatswords, guardians with hammers, rangers with longbows.   I think Ele on staff too.

It happened in instances too. Remember, that any cc skill used to reset the defiance stacks, not just knockbacks, so the occasional cripples, etc attached to normal attacks in a standard attack rotations could do that as well. It took a lot of effort to bring down defiance to zero just for a random attack (or miscalculation in reducing defiance stacks) to reset it right away, so most people didn't even bother. That's the main reason why it was changed, btw.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It happened in instances too. Remember, that any cc skill used to reset the defiance stacks, not just knockbacks, so the occasional cripples, etc attached to normal attacks in a standard attack rotations could do that as well. It took a lot of effort to bring down defiance to zero just for a random attack (or miscalculation in reducing defiance stacks) to reset it right away, so most people didn't even bother. That's the main reason why it was changed, btw.

I never said it didn't happen in instances, friend. I also wasn't saying that's why it was changed (Though let's be real, facerollers hitting buttons off cooldown is why it was changed because it made it stupid difficult to actually coordiante CC.) It's far less common in instances because of a few reasons. The first is that there are substantially less people to use the CC. Second, the classes with knockbacks never were really allowed in parties back then or used different weapon sets that didn't have the pushbacks.  Lastly, dungeons back then were cried about for t heir elitism and exclusivity like raids & strikes are today, so the amount of people who'd be button mashing in dungeons was substantially lower.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, Ashlin.3708 said:

The mechanics wrapped around using CC to break the blue bars is fine, other then it doesnt scale correctly in most big fights. On the maps that are more dead, it completely kills any chance of trying to do the map with small groups. That though, Is the small issue.

The big issue is... How does anet think that spending entire fights without the ability to do anything is okay? CC is totally out of control, and all anet does is... add MORE!!!! I know you all have been there with me, and I probably get it harder because I play a tank build so I get most the agro. but, you get hit with an ability that locks all your skills for 10-12 seconds. ( that should NEVER be allowed, utterly broken. That aside... ) then you get hit with a knock back. then an ability that throws you up in the sky, then knocked down again, sweet you get 2 seconds of fighting! then knock down, then 10-12 seconds of skills locked, que endless circle. How does arenanet look at this and say... yeah... this is good game play... 

NO!!!! It's NOT!!! Its the worst gameplay I've ever had in any game in my life of 29 years of gaming!!!!!!!!!
CC KILLS games, it does NOT make them fun, Please I beg ANYONE someone educate Anet. CC is out of control and they are doing NOTHING to get it under control.

I agree because for the past 20 years all MMORPG games do is rely on CC as mechanics rather than introducing better fight/damage mechanics. I've always joked on my stream that CC is a text file full of CC code that every employee must have on their computer. Create a new mob/boss and copy-paste the mechanics on that said mob/boss.

CC is fine when it's not the main thing that developers rely on for fights. I'd rather be one-shot because I did something wrong than CC'd to death.

😞

• Confused 1

On 5/29/2023 at 5:16 AM, Ashlin.3708 said:

The big issue is... How does anet think that spending entire fights without the ability to do anything is okay? CC is totally out of control,

Big Skill issue sorry. There's plenty of tools to deal with CC: Stability,Dodge,Aegis, Blinks, CC breaks , even barrier at some degree can help you survive the damage you'll get during the stun duration.

If you're not changing your skills at all while you play and refuse  adapting/learning to the situation then its not the game's fault nor the company's fault is fully yours.

I main Weaver btw.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

@Ashlin.3708, I sort of understand how you feel, as I experienced some similar feelings when I first started playing. But now the only times I ever die to cc is when I make a major mistake, or just didn't realise a specific encounter had a lot of it; both instances are very rare.

Can you link your build? Typically, if you're soloing stuff, it's important to have a more jack-of-all-trades build if you don't want to get completely countered by certain mechanics. And sadly, Revenants don't really have much access to Stun Break or Stability.

• Confused 1

OP really doesn't understand how a lot of this games mechanics work.

I am never, when fighting anything, stunlocked for anything resembling the time or percentage of time they're describing.

And that's maining Reaper which has very little in the way of stability generation, or stun breaks since I spend 90% of my time in Shroud.

Outside of PvP, because only lunatics play PvP, I have never played a game where CC felt better implemented.

Well, ok, Defiance Bar scaling is and always has been a problem.  I'll give you that.  It actually gets worse the more people there are, because suddenly a smaller percentage of the people are effectively using their CC and that results in fewer broken bars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

OP really doesn't understand how a lot of this games mechanics work.

I am never, when fighting anything, stunlocked for anything resembling the time or percentage of time they're describing.

And that's maining Reaper which has very little in the way of stability generation, or stun breaks since I spend 90% of my time in Shroud.

Outside of PvP, because only lunatics play PvP, I have never played a game where CC felt better implemented.

Well, ok, Defiance Bar scaling is and always has been a problem.  I'll give you that.  It actually gets worse the more people there are, because suddenly a smaller percentage of the people are effectively using their CC and that results in fewer broken bars.

Some bosses are super cheap and can stun lock you if you are unlucky.. Its a large reason i avoid Raids and lesser so Fractals.

• Confused 4

25 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Can you give some examples because I cant think of any.

Those Bandit bosses in open world are some of the cheapest in the game.. they can easily stunlock many classes. Some bosses in Living stories can as well. also some skill point ones in Hot have long stun mechanics like the frogs and the Vampire one. The Night court group as well in hot.

Jade Armors as well. Also like the whole of Lake Doric is stunlock city..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Those Bandit bosses in open world are some of the cheapest in the game.. they can easily stunlock many classes. Some bosses in Living stories can as well. also some skill point ones in Hot have long stun mechanics like the frogs and the Vampire one. The Night court group as well in hot.

You are not supposed to solo any of those bandit bosses.

Great players can solo them same with the vampire hp but its random people come together and bash down kind of content.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Is it really suprising group events are not designed to be soloed?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Some bosses are super cheap and can stun lock you if you are unlucky.. Its a large reason i avoid Raids and lesser so Fractals.

I don't recall a single time in raids where I've been chain stunned. Everything is avoidable and even if you get hit it's usually just a one stun only, far from "stun lock".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Is it really suprising group events are not designed to be soloed?

I think that what is surprising is how early in the game you run into them. You don't necessarily expect to have some of the toughest OW bosses in low level areas. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think that what is surprising is how early in the game you run into them. You don't necessarily expect to have some of the toughest OW bosses in low level areas. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think it's suprising an MMO has group events in starting areas considering what "MMO" means.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Group events are made to be played in groups. You also said it's a large reason you avoid raids, but none of what you subsequently wrote applies to raids?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I don't think it's suprising an MMO has group events in starting areas considering what "MMO" means.

I didn't say it was surprising to have group events. Why would you even think that? I'm talking about how difficult some of these bandit bosses are. That's what surprises me. Even level 80 characters can have problems beating some of them. So what chance do low level characters have with fewer skills and stats?

That's the only thing that surprises me. Of course there are group events in lower level areas...again, I have no idea why you got that from my post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I didn't say it was surprising to have group events. Why would you even think that? I'm talking about how difficult some of these bandit bosses are. 

Neither did I. You are suprised an MMO has group events in starter zones, which isn't suprising since it's an MMO..

11 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

That's what surprises me. Even level 80 characters can have problems beating some of them. So what chance do low level characters have with fewer skills and stats?

It suprises you that a group event can be difficult to solo regardless of level? Low levels can do what high levels do. Open chat and ask for help so they can do the group event with a group.

13 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

That's the only thing that surprises me. Of course there are group events in lower level areas...again, I have no idea why you got that from my post.

You said you are suprised how quickly people run into group events... but, you are not suprised about it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1