New Mesmer Weapon: Rifle

Sodeni.6041

On 7/4/2023 at 11:34 AM, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

But I think the Reposition to be jumping back to fire ranged shots.

I think that would make more sense if the rifle were a ranged weapon.  I effectively gave this theory crafted weapon loadout 2.5 ways to gap close: a short leap, a shadow step, and an immobilize.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:34 AM, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

too similar to the Greatsword Phantasms.

I think it would arguably be closer to the warlock phantasms on staff since it doesn't require a trait to summon multiple phantasms, but my thinking was that the firing squad of musket rifles aligned more thematically with a bayonet playstyle and was distinct enough from the pistol phantasm unload.

Overall, I think the concept of using the rifle like a spear weapon and mixing the occasional shot in could be neat.

21 minutes ago, Crey.5263 said:

I think that would make more sense if the rifle were a ranged weapon.  I effectively gave this theory crafted weapon loadout 2.5 ways to gap close: a short leap, a shadow step, and an immobilize.

I think it would arguably be closer to the warlock phantasms on staff since it doesn't require a trait to summon multiple phantasms, but my thinking was that the firing squad of musket rifles aligned more thematically with a bayonet playstyle and was distinct enough from the pistol phantasm unload.

Overall, I think the concept of using the rifle like a spear weapon and mixing the occasional shot in could be neat.

I like the idea of the rifle being focused on the bayonet... But I think it would be a missed opportunity for it not to have any skills where you fire it. I think having an ability where you jump back to take a shot will not make it a ranged DPS weapon. There would be a Cooldown on that skill and there would be other skills letting you close back the distance to do a butt strike or bayonet lunge.

Maybe the shot after repositioning back would do an immobilize. Keeping the enemy in place for the firing squad, allowing a tactical retreat, or just keeping them in place to jump back into the fray bayonet drawn.

Assuming the Rifle is a Power DPS weapon then I think the Greatsword Phantasms are a more apt comparison.

The Warlocks don't really do damage and are more of a defensive ability and weapon. But the GS Phantasms with the trait summon multiple Phantasms to do Power DPS from range.

But they would be virtually identical to the Duellist except for summoning multiple Phantasms instead of doing rapid fire.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for longbow for mesmer.. ever since I saw those Glamour Illusions in Siren's Landing, shooting Illusionary Arrows, in PINK!! 

But Rifle... we'll see how it will work out. It's nice rifle is getting more attention but again, was hoping for longbow for mesmer this time.

Edit: Not sure what happened to my text, 😅

Edited by TwistedAlga.4235
  • Like 3

Rifle leaves me meh, I still want dual pistols. If my phantasms can use a given weapon combination, I should be able to do that too. Mesmers should be able to equip both Lyss and Ilya for lore reasons alone.

I'd also like to have the speargun added to Mesmer's aquatic options, just so I could use Urchin's Needles (another weapon type my phantasms can use but I can't).

And I want a pony.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
minor add
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would also like to see a condi rifle.  I mean we had ranged great sword.  As long as it's not a melee rifle it should be fun.

I'm looking forward to see if or what phantasm is given.  Like will it be a charged sniper shot?  Like the rev elite skill in vin. Or will it be a multi burst like thief rifle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wolfer.7945 said:

I would also like to see a condi rifle.  I mean we had ranged great sword.  As long as it's not a melee rifle it should be fun.

I'm looking forward to see if or what phantasm is given.  Like will it be a charged sniper shot?  Like the rev elite skill in vin. Or will it be a multi burst like thief rifle.

I wouldn't mind rifle to be a condi weapon, but then I would want scepter to be reworked into a healing/support weapon.

Edited by Kulvar.1239

14 hours ago, wolfer.7945 said:

I would also like to see a condi rifle. 

This never crossed my mind, but now that I see it... I want it. 

I have been running condi more often in wvw and enjoy it.

If rifle was condi though.... it would need to have a faster projectile than the staff. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:38 PM, Kulvar.1239 said:

I wouldn't mind rifle to be a condi weapon, but then I would want scepter to be reworked into a healing/support weapon.

it would be hilarious if the rifle ended up being the healing/support weapon for the Mesmer.

Edited by SkinnyT.5382
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

it would be hilarious is the rifle ended up being the healing/support weapon for the Mesmer.

It's going to be a melee healing/support portal gun.

It's going to create portals between you and your allies. And you will stab an illusionary bayonet into your allies through the portal to heal them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

it would be hilarious is the rifle ended up being the healing/support weapon for the Mesmer.

It would remind me of The Secret World. Assault Rifle is a healing weapon 😄 And Torment on foes? That would remind me of how Ana heal using a sniper rifle in Overwatch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dead.7638 said:

Portal gun!!!! That’s what I want who ever said that.

Sure. But it'd be absolutely nothing more than a animation with no impact on gameplay. What's the difference between shooting a person at 1200 range and opening a portal between y'all that you send a bullet through?

If you can use the portal to transport yourself then it'll just be nothing more than a shadowstep or Leap ability.

22 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

You are joking but if there is one thing that is consistent with mesmer weapons is that they are wacky out of the box concepts - great sword being ranged, dagger being ranged, axe being an assassin weapon... 

Imagine having your 1 skill heal people by shooting them in the face. You can target alied champions. Your clones can also be cast on your teammates creating healing turrets. A phantasm that snipes a target that burst heals. Infinite horizon mirage with rifle? Reassigning heal target!  

Well... one can dream ofcourse... 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I don't see it working with Virtuoso cause, blades, unless the weapon has a lot of bleeds baked in.

I am hoping the auto shot will be a single target,  single shot,  no pierce damage.  I do not like the greatsword 3×damage over time.  I just want the damage instantly. 

That sort of auto shot will be high damage. 

• Like 2

personally i wanted shortbow for mesmer because i have the dreamer and my mesmer Phantasmal Unicorn needs to be able to use it. also give us main hand pistol anet. rifle seems weird to me but here's hoping its a good condi weapon so all  the salty sailor's who can't dodge will complain how op it is when they die to stacked condi's then it gets nerfed.😆

On 7/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, Gesbo.6420 said:

Imagine having your 1 skill heal people by shooting them in the face.

That's hilarious and I love it, but probably not happening. 😞

Also on the probably not happening list, but maybe it will give Mesmers back our fast-cast interrupts that we had way back in GW1. I miss the ability to slap a hard shutdown on almost anything. Right now I'd say interrupts on other classes are better, and that just seems wrong. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:43 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Wait, is someone actually unironically asking for melee rifle? 🤨 

Short of the game dying and being abandoned because of people boycotting the expansion because it was too close to an unpopular balance update, there will almost certainly be more weapons in the future. Hammer is therefore still available as a possible 2H mesmer melee weapon.

In terms of what mesmer needs, it makes more sense to be melee, considering that we have 2 power ranged weapons and 2 condi ranges weapons. 3 condi if you count dagger as both melee and range.

But, ya… hitting enemies with melee rifle would be pretty silly. More realistically, I think it will be a close range weapon. Somewhat how engi rifle and LB warrior play.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, otto.5684 said:

In terms of what mesmer needs, it makes more sense to be melee, considering that we have 2 power ranged weapons and 2 condi ranges weapons. 3 condi if you count dagger as both melee and range.

But, ya… hitting enemies with melee rifle would be pretty silly. More realistically, I think it will be a close range weapon. Somewhat how engi rifle and LB warrior play.

I don't really want to go to much into it again. But I think a melee rifle is not nearly as silly as it seems.

Think of it kind of like a 19th century musket.

The auto attack can be a fairly high damaging chain of Bayonet thrusts. The bayonets being shimmery purple blades that appear when starting the attack.

One attack could be Shadowstep to the target and Stun it with a butt strike. (Not swinging it like a club but using it like a melee staff). 

Then the other 3 skills would be an assortment of ranged attacks. Could have a shotgun blast, Phantasm could summon a firing line or a submachine gun.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, otto.5684 said:

Mesmer is supposed to be more of a ranged profession overall, so having more ranged weapons than melee makes sense for them. Sword and axe both do their respective jobs, and axe is getting delinked from mirage soon.

13 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

I don't really want to go to much into it again. But I think a melee rifle is not nearly as silly as it seems.

Think of it kind of like a 19th century musket.

The auto attack can be a fairly high damaging chain of Bayonet thrusts. The bayonets being shimmery purple blades that appear when starting the attack.

One attack could be Shadowstep to the target and Stun it with a butt strike. (Not swinging it like a club but using it like a melee staff). 

Then the other 3 skills would be an assortment of ranged attacks. Could have a shotgun blast, Phantasm could summon a firing line or a submachine gun.

The primary function of the early modern musket was still to shoot, and ArenaNet haven't imposed muzzle-loader reloading times on other rifle-using professions, I don't think it's likely that they'd do it on mesmer. Moreover, while there are melee weapons with a ranged attack or two, I don't see them making a weapon with a melee autoattack while most of the other skills are ranged. Usually it's the other way around, and even old guardian staff had 600 range autoattacks for most of its life (when they cut that to 300 range, people complained until it was reworked to how it is now).

And if they WERE to make a weapon with the playstyle you seem to be asking for, I suspect they'd put it on hammer rather than rifle.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Mesmer is supposed to be more of a ranged profession overall, so having more ranged weapons than melee makes sense for them. Sword and axe both do their respective jobs, and axe is getting delinked from mirage soon.

The primary function of the early modern musket was still to shoot, and ArenaNet haven't imposed muzzle-loader reloading times on other rifle-using professions, I don't think it's likely that they'd do it on mesmer. Moreover, while there are melee weapons with a ranged attack or two, I don't see them making a weapon with a melee autoattack while most of the other skills are ranged. Usually it's the other way around, and even old guardian staff had 600 range autoattacks for most of its life (when they cut that to 300 range, people complained until it was reworked to how it is now).

And if they WERE to make a weapon with the playstyle you seem to be asking for, I suspect they'd put it on hammer rather than rifle.

18th and 19th century warfare was definitely about shooting with them muskets. But bayonet charges were where battles were really decided due to the short range, slow firing rate, and inaccuracy of muskets.

Yes that's not necessarily a consideration here. But I also wasn't saying that they shouldn't be useful in shooting. 

Like Engineers I was suggesting a large part of their damage comes from high damage fairly low cooldown shotgun blast type AOE.

I really hope they don't give Mesmers hammers. They are the most awkward playing weapons on any class in GW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1