Double mace now?...Can we have some goddamn defense on this class for a change?

Arheundel.6451

On 10/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, Beddo.1907 said:

Explain to me, what's the difference between sword and mace, that allows it to block?

Technically speaking, swords being lighter and balanced closer to the hand makes it easier to get it in the way of an enemy strike. There's also a precedent in-game for offhand swords having a block, especially before the rework to rev offhand sword.

On the other hand, mainhand mace in-game has a track record of having a block or some other defensive skill, and ranger already has a defensive skill on an offhand (dagger 4). Counterintuitive as it might seem, adding mainhand mace has the potential to add more defensive potential than adding shield or offhand sword, since if it's combined with dagger, that would mean two defensive skills - as long as the mace gets a better defensive skill than Serpent's Strike, anyway. The CCs typically associated with maces also have the potential to be used defensively if the enemy doesn't have defiance or lots of stability.

If they do decide to boost defensive potential, they could potentially put a defensive skill on offhand mace that's better than Stalker's Strike. There's also to potential for offhand shield or something later, but ArenaNet isn't in the habit of giving a profession more than one new weapon at a time.

14 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

"Mace is stupid. Rangers don't need maces!"

"Rangers should get scepters! Scepters make more sense!"

That the hell do you think a scepter becomes when you hit someone in the head. It's a melee scepter!

Yeah, historically a sceptre is basically a ceremonial mace.

In practice, though, sceptres and maces have very different expectations in the Guild Wars 2 context. You wouldn't see a mace being used like a sceptre unless the profession already has sceptre and they want another ranged magic weapon, and you also wouldn't see a sceptre used like a mace unless the profession already has mace and they want another melee weapon. Since ranger has neither, getting mace over sceptre leads to very different expectations on what the skills and playstyle are likely to be. 

• Thanks 1

1. There is inbuilt defense on most of the ranger's weapon skillsets (evade skill, block, weakness, protection...etc.)
  2. Maces in GW2 are mainly defensive or weapons that provide sustain (only revenant's mace have a purely offensive skillset)
  3. Ranger's thematic is about "nature" and any branch or old bone (see Kevin) lying around is potentially a mace.
  4. If you're not happy with this much... You can still drink away your anger and go on a drunken rampage with Moonshine.
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:54 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It's a mace on a ranger, there really isn't much more that needs to be said here.  The only way they get worse is a rifle or a pistol on the ranger because it clashes so hard thematically it isn't even funny.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that park rangers shoot people who start forest fires and Walker Texas Ranger also uses guns, but GW2 rangers are not park rangers nor throw roundhouse kicks, they are essentially shaman who don't use firearms.

The sane options were scepter and shield, that's not hard.  Possibly focus but that's a little too magical IMO. 

They really, really shouldn't be aiming to put every weapon on every spec as some choices are just outlandishly stupid.   Greatsword on ranger has always been sus, and Hammer on untamed was even iffy but at least had some shadow of 'bunny thumper' meme to sell it---but mace? 

Bruh get with the times it's 2023, shamans with guns is where it is at

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, porkchopMCgee.6193 said:

Bruh get with the times it's 2023, shamans with guns is where it is at

A bit off-topic, but one of my Shadowrun (TTRPG set in a cyberpunk setting with magic, for those that don't know) was a troll shaman who wielded a shotgun when he wasn't casting spells. He revered the spirits of nature by putting down those who disrespected them.

You know, the more I think about it the more excited I am to see what the maces will be like. I didn't think I'd like hammer either but it ended up being one of my favorite weapons. I'm especially interested in seeing what the mace Ambush skill will be like. So far I'm imagining a wild leap followed by a big, AoE smash that causes knockdown.

So far I am assuming it'll be a power weapon with a lot of control and defense, though it could also do something unexpected like give rangers access to Confusion (ala bonking someone on the head really hard like Engineer's Crowbar skill) to give us a little wider condi access.

My longshot hope it is tied to nature spirits heavily rather than being a conventional martial weapon. Slamming the maces into the ground to rouse earthen spirits to wake up and attack distant enemies with bursts of splintered stone and thorny vines. I'd love another weapon to pair with staff that lets me go full nature wizard.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 8:33 AM, Silvoshipnos.2089 said:

We don't even know what kind of skills it has, it's a bit soon to start complaining 

To be honest, if we look at mace on other classes...warrior maces trash, engi mace being elite spec weapon and still trash, guardian mace trash...the only good mace currently is revenant mace.

Well actually engi mace was kinda solid, but then they nerfed confusion and its trash now.

So i m not sure how ranger maces will be.

But i go for either trash on Release or made trash afterwards. Small chance it will actually be good for more than a year, but very small.

I played the exact same gamble with engineer mace when EoD dropped.

I actually liked mace, but they nerfed it so hard to the ground because mesmer did too much confu damage in their opinion so they nerfed whole confusion and therefore made engi mace trash.

So yea i hope ranger maces will be actually good, because i want to play eureka on at least any mid armor class after i crafted it for my engi (big mistake).

Guys nothing make sense with weapons anyway in this game (it's not a bad thing though) 

As ele i can use lightning bolts in water , create a gigantic lightning aquatic prison , Engi launch submarine missiles with a harpoon launcher and can be equipped with a flamethrower , a tool bag , grenades and the list goes on (heavy workout engi 💪), Mesmer pew pew a laser with a greatsword , ranger launch axes and somehow have those axes have a "boomerang" ability and always come back at lightning speed in ranger hand, warrior set himself on fire with a torch but feels fine, revenant has a "marry poppins" bag with infinite hammers inside, thieg can go stealth (even on these day nobody has such a great camouflage, America would kill to have thief technology !)

And don't tell me ranger has no magic , druid is all about magic, it's just that at some point every class could get any weapon, and it's not a bad thing , nobody complained ranger having a hammer (remind gw 1 thumper) but two maces ... it's a bit the same.