I just realised... (yet another relics rant)

Hi there,

I just realised thatin the blogpost, ANet speaks of Legendary Relic-S, as in mulltiple legendaries. I hope this doesn't mean that there will be multiple different legendary relics or if it does, I hope these different legenary relics will not be functionally different, i.e. having different options to chose from. Because this is not what "legendary" means in this game.
Then again, "legendary" used to mean "best in slot" and "not going to be devalued" and that's out of the window at this point, so I wouldn't put it beyond Nu-ANet.

Am I reading too much into it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

In the realm of Tyria, the once-adored relic system has left players angry and frustrated. Unfair drop rates and opaque rules have soured the experience, leaving dedicated adventurers empty-handed after countless efforts. The lack of communication from developers has only intensified the outrage. The community demands prompt action and transparency to address their concerns. Many players have already voiced their discontent on forums and social media. Only decisive changes can heal the wounds and restore the faith of the disheartened Guild Wars 2 community.

Edited by Agathon.6578
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Agathon.6578 said:

Are people just trolling and using Chat GPT to generate these texts or are they serious ? 

My concern is serious. If a company gives an official statement, it is safe to assume that every statement is made as intended. So when they speak of a plural of relics, it's fair to ask "What exactly does this mean?".
Sure, this could mean a good thing, like "there will be Legendary Relics available for WvW, PvP and PvE which will be functionally identical and give you the option to chose from each current and future relic effect."
But it could also mean rather BS things like "There will be a Legendary Relic of the Gods, giving you the option to chose from each human God Rune's 6th effect. There will be the Legendary Relic of Cities, giving the option to chose between each major city's rune 6th effect. There will be a Legendary Relic of Dungeoneering and so on"

• Like 4
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

We completely understand your concern about the recent official statement regarding the relic system. As fellow Guild Wars fans, we share your desire for clarity and transparency.

While the plural form of "relics" may indeed raise questions about the future implementation, we, as players, must wait for further details from the developers. It is essential to give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to provide a comprehensive explanation.

As passionate members of the Guild Wars community, we can voice our concerns constructively and share our feedback with the developers. Let's remain hopeful that any changes to the relic system will be fair and beneficial to all players.

Thank you for being an active and dedicated part of our wonderful community.

Best regards, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

I would like to have further details and maybe Ruby will provide.

About giving them the benefit of the doubt...I'm not sure, we might be beyond this phase. I know, there's not much else we can do because in the end, no amount of outrage matters as long as it doesn't hurt the company's bottom line. Which is why I would prefer further details over having to hope for them to do the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Woof! Woof!

Oh, fellow Guild Wars enthusiast, I can feel your frustration, and I woof agree! When it comes to official statements, clarity is a must, and it's paw-sitively fair to ask for further details. Ruby might be the key to unlock those answers we so eagerly seek!

Bark, I get it, it's tough to give them the benefit of the doubt when uncertainties arise. We might be sniffing beyond that phase, but let's not lose hope! I paw-lieve that if we continue voicing our concerns constructively, the developers may listen.

Yet, you're right, barks can only go so far if it doesn't affect their treats... err, I mean, the company's bottom line. That's why having solid information is paw-tastic! More details mean less guesswork, and we can make informed decisions about our adventures in Tyria.

So, let's keep our tails wagging with hope for further details, and together, we'll strive for a Guild Wars world that's even more enchanting and delightful!

Arffully yours,
the Talking Dog Who Loves Guild Wars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

Am I reading too much into it?

I think you likely are.  Since multiple players will each have a legendary relic it's normal to talk about legendary relics.  Of course I can't guarantee that interpretation, it just seems very likely given what we know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

I think you likely are.  Since multiple players will each have a legendary relic it's normal to talk about legendary relics.  Of course I can't guarantee that interpretation, it just seems very likely given what we know.

12 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Looks like they are using the plural because they are referencing the player base as a plurality. 

This sounds like the most likely thing tbh.
Only thing that goes against it is that they don't speak of Legendary Armor in the same way f.e.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The plural can be used to indicate something more general. So instead of saying the legendary relic youc an also say legendary relics without an article. I didn't get from this that there will be multiple legendary relics, especially considering the single slot. The only thing I could imagine is that in the future sometime they are planning to add another relic slot. But that would be beyond the current rune vs relic debate, because runes only have one special bonus ability.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Emberheart.8426 said:

This obviously doesn't mean multiple legendary relics but if it did they would likely be different options from other game modes. I mean we have 3 different legendary backpieces from fractals, PvP, and WvW. Does that mean that we have 3 backpiece slots? Pointless thread.

It's not about different modes or slots, it's about having multiple legendaries like weapon types and armor weights. For example, "legendary [core] relic" for the current rune bonuses, "legendary [expansion] relic" for SotO relics, or "legendary [scholar's] relic" to transition to a stat unlock system.

The transformation of "legendary" into a noun and its pluralization may elicit criticism from strict grammarians. However, language evolves naturally, and creative expressions are common as it adapts to various contexts and needs. While adherence to prescriptive rules is essential for clarity, linguistic diversity should also be appreciated as it reflects the dynamic nature of human communication.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:21 AM, Omega.6801 said:

I would like to have further details and maybe Ruby will provide.

About giving them the benefit of the doubt...I'm not sure, we might be beyond this phase. I know, there's not much else we can do because in the end, no amount of outrage matters as long as it doesn't hurt the company's bottom line. Which is why I would prefer further details over having to hope for them to do the right thing.

Them not giving the people legendary relics for free, is them doing the right thing.

• Like 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, because obtaining somethng you've already spent over 2000 gold on beforehand definitely qualifies as getting it for "free".

Friendly reminder that *none* of the relic effects shown thus far replicate a rune's 6th bonus effect 🙂

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, because obtaining somethng you've already spent over 2000 gold on beforehand definitely qualifies as getting it for "free".

Not true, ever since the legendary armoury most of those who made legendary runes have gotten around 60%-80%+ of their gold back by selling their old runes.

Before that, additional cost inflicted by each balance patch for account wide build swap isn't something new. The new system actually address this that players still sticking to ascended armor with exotic runes will no longer need to swap entire runesets for each change.

Furthermore, It's not like players who has made their 6th or 7th legendary rune are going to be significantly hindered by the additional cost of resources. These are all end-game accounts filled with legendaries.

I have 7 legendary runes, and despite my distaste of the new direction, relics are rather minor annoyance at best.

Casual players wants vertical progression because they could no longer afford the player skill requirement for horizontal ones. Therefore by popular demand, elements of gear grinding will gradually be added to provide a long term goal so they can powercreep without needing to learn skillcrafting. You have long been the advocate of easy modes such as this, be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Not true, ever since the legendary armoury most of those who made legendary runes have gotten around 60%-80%+ of their gold back by selling their old runes.

...what? You've had 1500+ gold of worth of runes? Even if you did (which i seriously doubt), i can assure you that your situation was not normal, and such extremes should nto be considered to be a baseline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Casual players wants vertical progression because they could no longer afford the player skill requirement for horizontal ones. Therefore by popular demand, elements of gear grinding will gradually be added to provide a long term goal so they can powercreep without needing to learn skillcrafting. You have long been the advocate of easy modes such as this, be careful what you wish for.

If you were actually reading what i wrote, you'd realize i definitely never advocated this. The current system is structured in such a way that powercreep helps those that are already at higher levels of the chart. It does nothing for those at the bottom. As such, it makes content easier for those for whom that content was already easy, but does not help at all those that found it to be too difficult. If anything, by increasing the gap between the bottom, average and top, it creates even bigger issues as Anet keeps adjusting balance to the new situation (see DE case).

If the design of this system went in the direction i was advocating, the runes would not be split into 6 runes and a relic, but would be compressed into a singular rune.

Offering players even more choices to get their build wrong is not helping casuals. It's harming them.

And for "casual players want vertical progression", i'd really like you to give me a  source for that, because i just don't see it. I mean, significant part of casual playerbase still doesn't seem to run in ascended, so if you'd try to claim they might want even higher gear tiers, i'd find that hard to believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I would add that this is only possible with full sets of legendary armor and/or the endless extractor. I wouldn't assume everyone who made the legendary runes had either/or.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2