Ranger is new signet cata - it gotta be balanced/nerfed next.

Babylon.8972

On 8/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

^ Yup

But what happens is in lower tiers like during ranked, veteran players use a jank gimmick build like that and it is very easy to target guys with l2p issues, and in general, high damage one-shots just RAGES people.

This is the problem Ranger has always had. Just due to how the class is designed, if it's balanced to be good in higher tiers, that means it'll be overperforming in middle to low tiers, and then those middle-low tier players complain about it. It then gets nerfed to appease middle-low tiers so they aren't annoyed and then it ends up never being meta for competitive MAT play.

Exactly what happens. But hey, even I have to respect the idea behind "balancing for middle tiers", I get it. But Arenanet needs to be careful just how much they catter to that mentality. People in middle-lower tiers will and do complain endlessly about things that annoy them that aren't even actually OP.

You have quite a narrow minded mentality, toxic mechanics and OP status are not the same thing, and should be adressed/balanced as such.

Now please forgive us peasents for being stuck in silver/gold where we have to continualy fight against overly represented bladesworns, SPBs and power necros, none of which are OP.. all of which are kitten annoying to fight, as is soulbeast, as was condi cata, which was kitten.. but still easily countered by cent rev. You know.. since soulbeast is so easy to counter.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

12 hours ago, Flowki.7194 said:

You have quite a narrow minded mentality, toxic mechanics and OP status are not the same thing, and should be adressed/balanced as such.

Now please forgive us peasents for being stuck in silver/gold where we have to continualy fight against overly represented bladesworns, SPBs and power necros, none of which are OP.. all of which are kitten annoying to fight, as is soulbeast, as was condi cata, which was kitten.. but still easily countered by cent rev. You know.. since soulbeast is so easy to counter.

That guy is very biased, always defending ranger when its OP and wanting any other spec to get nerfed. Fun thing how he speak about low tier players with l2p problems when hes gold 3 himself after thousands of hours in game.

Edited by zyra.7860
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Ok To be fair... You can't say ranger is the new Signet Cata.  That thing was indestructible while putting out insane condi damage from fricken auto attack.  That's definitely nothing like the SoulBeast which downs you much faster, has stealth, but can be at least killed if you can survive its multiple CC's from stealth and 5 or so 5k+ attacks.   In a world where I had to pick one to exist I'd pick Soul Beast, cause maybe you could kill it after it kills one of yours.

Also its not just soul beast... untamed variants are just as nasty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, shion.2084 said:

Ok To be fair... You can't say ranger is the new Signet Cata.  That thing was indestructible while putting out insane condi damage from fricken auto attack.  That's definitely nothing like the SoulBeast which downs you much faster, has stealth, but can be at least killed if you can survive its multiple CC's from stealth and 5 or so 5k+ attacks.   In a world where I had to pick one to exist I'd pick Soul Beast, cause maybe you could kill it after it kills one of yours.

Also its not just soul beast... untamed variants are just as nasty.

Soulbeast and untamed aren't immortal, Shion is correct here. It's glass and does big damage, which is a far cry from most of the tanky builds that I've seen up to now.

Rambling for a minute:

Personally if you can dodge it, and the player that delivers it evaporates into thin air the moment they make a mistake or get interrupted, that's fine by me. 

What continues to baffle me is when people that play classes adjacent to this advocate for deletion of the classes that survive against them, like they wont immediately become the next focus the moment the dynamic shifts. Everyone (willing to respect class balance) deserves to have fun here, as long as there is a button press or two that can keep their build from steamrolling the entire roster without retort.

Have you noticed that there aren't many bladesworns? Have you noticed there aren't many bunker scourges? That's not happening because they got balanced. For balance patches in the future, there should be a counterweight to existing bunker/sidenode. 

That being said:

Soulbeast does need a look because it has a moderate amount of sustain in the currently problematic build and sword hits a bit hard for its commitment (And apparently pig hits for PvE values? That tracks, I'm sure some of the pet stats fall through the gaps when balancing like this) ,

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

7 hours ago, zyra.7860 said:

That guy is very biased, always defending ranger when its OP and wanting any other spec to get nerfed. Fun thing how he speak about low tier players with l2p problems when hes gold 3 himself after thousands of hours in game.

trev is a monster in ats when there is no throw wars

his team would have take 3rd in last mat but lost by 40 point from a dc and took 5th instead

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Considering that a certain warrior topic is 'nowhere to be seen' at the moment, I'm a bit more inclined to defend ranger here. All soulbeast really has, like warrior, is a telegraphed burst. That is all. I find that players seemingly have a BIG problem with that. Not that it makes me laugh any less!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Considering that a certain warrior topic is 'nowhere to be seen' at the moment, I'm a bit more inclined to defend ranger here. All soulbeast really has, like warrior, is a telegraphed burst. That is all. I find that players seemingly have a BIG problem with that. Not that it makes me laugh any less!

Errr and stealth oh and pull oh and daze and immob oh and multiple high damage options.  Have a look at the imgur posts at the number of high damage attack options they can hit with.

Note this doesn't even include one wolf pack (for an additional 10k or so).  https://imgur.com/a/U3hQaTn

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to comment that I fought an untamed recently that was running GS and Longbow , and had to deal with the following:

• Moves being unblockable without lots of telegraph (due to signet of the hunt)
  • chained stealth due to smokescale leaps, hunters shot, and Siamoth (apparently), much akin to thief. Stealth chaining in some cases led to almost complete resets, despite the ranger having glass cannon damage.
  • the above leading to untelegraphed unblockable 5-7k mauls or openers from 1500 away, or unblockable knockdowns while I am blocking that also led to the above.
  • Smokescale knockdowns even while the ranger was impaired and lightning reflexes was on cooldown
  • moving domes of projectile destruction that were centered on me to prevent me from axe-throwing a fleeing ranger. 

It was very unpleasant, and given how many limiters thief has put on it for access to stealth / how many limiters warrior has put on it for damage, to say it felt anything approaching fair would be a lie. Doable? Yes. Probably more so in a teamfight. Fair? Not given the state of the other classes that struggle to be half as flexible. It felt like said ranger was an amalgamation of every major mechanic interaction whined out of the game or thereafter vicegripped by damage reductions to date.

Note this was not Pigbeast, but Pigtamed, so slightly different flowchart.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 , thoughts?

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 7/27/2023 at 11:40 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

*Thinks back to Rifle Mech that got hard countered by reflects, CC, Condis, LoS, focus, or literally any player with a brain* 

Lets see. This ranger build has: 

High damage. Easy to play. Annoying pet that does a non-trivial damage (unmerged). Can insta revive the pet. Glaring Weaknesses, but extremely effective at mid-low ranks...  I'm not convinced ANet should nerf this... but they probably will. It does a lot of damage and it's annoying to fight. Rifle Mech got nerfed for less. 

Lets just hope they don't pull their usual trick and nerf every other off-meta ranger build in the process.  May CMC have mercy on you Ranger mains. 

The rifle nerfs were pve oriented, cuz you couldnt play anything else, cuz mech would output 35k dmg pressing auto rifle 2 and 5 only

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I'd like to comment that I fought an untamed recently that was running GS and Longbow , and had to deal with the following:

• Moves being unblockable without lots of telegraph (due to signet of the hunt)
  • chained stealth due to smokescale leaps, hunters shot, and Siamoth (apparently), much akin to thief. Stealth chaining in some cases led to almost complete resets, despite the ranger having glass cannon damage.
  • the above leading to untelegraphed unblockable 5-7k mauls or openers from 1500 away, or unblockable knockdowns while I am blocking that also led to the above.
  • Smokescale knockdowns even while the ranger was impaired and lightning reflexes was on cooldown
  • moving domes of projectile destruction that were centered on me to prevent me from axe-throwing a fleeing ranger. 

It was very unpleasant, and given how many limiters thief has put on it for access to stealth / how many limiters warrior has put on it for damage, to say it felt anything approaching fair would be a lie. Doable? Yes. Probably more so in a teamfight. Fair? Not given the state of the other classes that struggle to be half as flexible. It felt like said ranger was an amalgamation of every major mechanic interaction whined out of the game or thereafter vicegripped by damage reductions to date.

Note this was not Pigbeast, but Pigtamed, so slightly different flowchart.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 , thoughts?

too much stealth on rangers its getting crazy. thankfully trapper rune is gone, but still..smokescale smoke needs to be 30sec

• Like 1