Solo player and Soto

Hello all.

I have been on the fence about writing this, but here I go.

I am a solo player who plays every day with great gusto.  Unfortunately, I am uncoordinated and would never want to inflict myself on others.

These new dailies...will they have some solo friendly things to do? 

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that they will.  I am not asking for all of it to be solo friendy.  Just enough to be able to earn enough to purchase things.

Lisa-hoping the devs do not forget about people like me.

Edit-I got a confused face on my post.  I would hate for all the dailies to be filled with things like "Go do strike missions"  I would be kicked from the group so fast...

Edited by Julischka Bean.7491
Trying to be more clear
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I think the activities for the daily achievements will be very similar to the ones we have now. Rubi said their intention is to build on the existing system to offer players a wider variety of rewards and a way to choose which ones they want, so it sounds like the tasks are going to stay the same but the rewards are changing.

Also you'll get 5 astral acclaim just for logging in so even if you do nothing else you'll eventually be able to buy some stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah good luck, as we saw with EoD they don't really like solo players much anymore as they forced us to do group content to get one of their most advertised Turtle features before the changes. But you can still get some slowly as it appears, it will just take a long time. I still never done a strike and still won't 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 15

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you've ever done a group event with a champion or elite enemy you can probably do a strike. That's all it is, a boss fight (the newer ones are all bosses from the story) which is designed for 10 people.

I my problem is in a fight of 10 people everyone has to pull their weight or get kicked...I would never recover emotionally from that...maybe...never got kicked so I don't know for sure. In RL I am strong, but having a commander tell me to get the pancake out of his team would be...not sure what the word for the emotion would be. Sad, devastating are close.

I do a lot of the world bosses as I am not in a team for that.  I also have been known to tag along with the Dragon's Stand meta...not one commander has asked me what I was doing there, so that is good.

...Yes.  A solo player in full ascended.  I admit I am strange, but by golly, I want to play 🙂

• Like 10
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I mostly solo and do world events. I think it sounds like the only thing that's changing is that one can choose what you want to do to fill up the daily/weekly/monthly meter. Seeing as though they're adding in legendary armor for world events, it would really shock me if they made it so you couldn't do the new dailies solo, too. (I, for one, am pscyhed about not having to do adventures for dailies...)

44 minutes ago, Julischka Bean.7491 said:

I my problem is in a fight of 10 people everyone has to pull their weight or get kicked...I would never recover emotionally from that...maybe...never got kicked so I don't know for sure. In RL I am strong, but having a commander tell me to get the pancake out of his team would be...not sure what the word for the emotion would be. Sad, devastating are close.

After an LFR raid in WoW, where I was getting death and other assorted threats (not sure if I can use the 4-letter r word here) because I missed when to use Heroism (and nobody called it out), I walked away from the raiding and mythic scene, and the WoW scene entirely.  (I've always played GW1/GW2 and WoW alternately.) Coming back to GW2 was a breath of fresh air.  I think those commanders are the exception, honestly.  The times I've joined squads in Dragon's End, people are pretty helpful. If they're spamming arcdps in chat, then that's a good indication that their play style isn't one for me. ArenaNet is good about following up on toxic people, too.  (Anyone remember Dhuum? :D)

I'm in a field where I'm constantly taking criticism for my work.  It never gets to me, and it's rarely personal. (You get to a point where you can shrug off criticism with the words of Jeffrey Lebowski: "Yeah, you know, that's, like, your opinion, man." ) In game, though, the criticism often gets personal, which I think is why a person can be strong/stable IRL, but have some pretty significant anxiety over grouping.  (I totally get it! I was/am gun-shy about raiding and strikes after the last LFR raid I did in WoW.) I'm not sure why in-game criticism gets way nastier than anything in the arts. Smaller stakes? People not knowing how to give constructive criticism?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• ArenaNet Staff
7 hours ago, Julischka Bean.7491 said:

Hello all.

I am a solo player who plays every day with great gusto.  Unfortunately, I am uncoordinated and would never want to inflict myself on others.

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that they will.  I am not asking for all of it to be solo friendy.  Just enough to be able to earn enough to purchase things.

Edit-I got a confused face on my post.  I would hate for all the dailies to be filled with things like "Go do strike missions"  I would be kicked from the group so fast...

I'm really glad you spoke up and I can assure you that you (and all the other solo players) are not forgotten! Solo players will find plenty of objectives in the Wizard's Vault to earn rewards. I think you're going to be very happy with the choices you see next week. 

P.S. I bet you're a better player than you think you are. 😉 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, Julischka Bean.7491 said:

Hello all.

The vault includes a rework of daily achievements, so no doubt they'll be on the similar level.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hello Julischka, 

I am in a similar situation as you. I have limitations with my hands which limits my possibilities to press a lot of different keys in fast succession. 
You likely, like me, learned to work around that with changing your build, weapons and keybinds. 

I agree with Rubi, you are likely a much better player by now, than you give yourself credit for.

Initially I was the same like you, I stayed away from group content due to the fear of not living up to Benchmark expectations, or accidentally messing up due to cramping and hitting the wrong key. These are things that can happen.

The fear of being kicked is real. 

But I just want to share with you, there are groups out there that are more on the casual side. Groups that don't mind a new to content player with some limitations to join and have fun. 

Initially I feared to even join a tier 1 fractal group... now... I have Raid armor!

The secret? Finding the right group of people. I stumbled upon a lovely person that is about positivity only. I became bold and joined a streamer in her "everyone is welcome" raid group and HAD A BLAST!

Not gonna say you "should" go out and find a group... all I say is: nothing is impossible, just keep your eyes and mind open. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 8/16/2023 at 4:45 AM, Julischka Bean.7491 said:

Hello all.

I could have written this post myself, also a solo player in full ascended.  I'm glad you asked this, and it sounds like we'll still have dailies we can do. 🙂

• Thanks 1

OMG!!!  Ruby responded to my post and I was so busy with RL, and playing the game, that I did not see it!!!!!   

Kaliwenda, ugrakarma, Tuna Bandit,  Sobx, Gorem, garpu, and Danikat and hopefully I did not forget anyone., thank you so much for the nice  replies.

I was afraid I might be jeered at for wanting/have to solo in an MMO but that was not the case at all.

Thank you all for that 🙂

Ruby, thanks to your kindness, I am now excited for SOTO 🙂

Pancake the Torpedeos, full steam ahead!

Choo Choo 🙂

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/16/2023 at 5:15 AM, Julischka Bean.7491 said:

...Yes.  A solo player in full ascended.  I admit I am strange, but by golly, I want to play 🙂

100% Agree. The MMO (for those too new to know) was birthed from what was originally Local machine games, then CO-OP games where you could dial in via MODEM to a friends PC and play the same game together against the NPCs. IT WAS A BLAST! Naturally then cam L.A.N. Parties where we would bring our PC's over to friends houses with a HUB and cables and play locally. Naturally this went online.

What am I saying with this? That just because a game allows Massive players to play doesn't mean they ALL want to play together or play the same things or even group up. THAT's what made guild wars 2 SO awesome! Co-Operative play where you needn't be partied with anyone. They come along playing the game and help out. But After O'Brien left that driving game style has been under attack with the "Challenging Content" battle cry and "Group content" chants. So the Solo (Local Game) player where vendors no longer make games for local game play are completely left out. There is a need and Guild Wars 2 filled it. But it's losing large scale adoption.

Hopefully as they say they have learned and are listening and we should see some more movement toward the Solo / Co-Op game style players. But only time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I'm really glad you spoke up and I can assure you that you (and all the other solo players) are not forgotten! Solo players will find plenty of objectives in the Wizard's Vault to earn rewards. I think you're going to be very happy with the choices you see next week. 

P.S. I bet you're a better player than you think you are. 😉 

By "Plenty of Objectives" you bring hope that this will NOT be just a daily earning process but a game play + daily items reward system. I find myself REALLY hoping it's true and puts my other posts to shame. Thank you very much for this insight.
Thank you Julischka for speaking up for others who really do feel similar to you💯👍

I agree I think they are better  than they feel after having achieved ascended level gear. Congrats Julischka👏

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2023 at 5:50 AM, Gorem.8104 said:

Yeah good luck, as we saw with EoD they don't really like solo players much anymore as they forced us to do group content to get one of their most advertised Turtle features before the changes. But you can still get some slowly as it appears, it will just take a long time. I still never done a strike and still won't 🙂

Strike are pretty ez (well most of it). I dont mind if you want an helping hand completing them. Just ask, Ill command a make a squad for you, no requirement ask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

IMO strikes and raids should scale down to party size.

💯agree, I've asked for that in some of the polls I was part of. They should also scale upWhy can't a guild partake of a raid as JUST the guild Instead they must go in groups of only 10. I also asked to have the the first channel of the squad act like the party features do so I can use the cmdr abilities AND bring other players along in story instances AND other content. Another idea I gave was that the CMDR should precede commander chat like MENTOR, but we see how that fared. That was years ago.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

I dont mind if you want an helping hand completing them. Just ask, Ill command a make a squad for you, no requirement ask.

@Julischka Bean.7491 This right here ☝️ is the other kind of players you look for. THAT was the purpose of the mentor apple. To stand out and help other players. But it doesn't show in LFG, so it is not as easy to find helpful players or commanders who are open to not kicking and rather helping. My guild was built on that premise but so many of them did not actually want to so now it's just us few. So If and when because it is highly like there will be a when you need help with things look for apple they should be helpful. It' doesn't hurt to ask in lfg. It' how we completed many things. So don't lose hope, just keep up and ask👌👍

• Like 1