About the new fractal

Rennie.6750

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:Because you can't play lower-tier fractals?Suure. First it was "then don't raid". Then it was "don't do fractal CMs". Then it was "don't do t4's (or t3s)". What's next? "then don't play fractals"? "Don't play the game"? It's not like it's an one-time change - it's a process that keeps progressing. And with each new change the game becomes less and less fun.

It becomes more and more fun for me. Ultimately - yeah, if you dislike a specific content, then don't play it. It's that simple. The game is big, and it has features targeted at all kinds of players. I don't do brawls, I don't do sPvP, I don't do complex JPs like the one in Malchor's Leap or that in Ember Bay. And guess what? It's fine. These are all things for other players to enjoy. Likewise, T4, CMs and raids are for people with a mindset similar to mine. To each their own.

@Ahlen.7591 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Ahlen.7591 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Ahlen.7591 said:Also classes without consistent sustain are at a pretty massive disadvantage on the last boss.

Because you play it solo, kappa.

It's a cooperative game, all it takes is 1 support. 98-99-100 are actually harder to carry (and therefore - harder overall) because there are actual mechanics that can wipe you if players fail. Oasis you can just outheal.

GW2 as a game is not built on having a support, all classes are supposed to be able to stand on their own without a healer.

So saying "Just bring a healer" is counter to what this game is sold as.

Trust me I know, I play support FB and Druid and yes it makes it way easier. HOWEVER, that doesn't excuse design that either forces a healer or forces certain classes out of the game.

You are straight up making my argument for me when you say bring a support to cover for classes that lack sustain.

You can. On lower tiers. Stop pretending all of this game is casual. It's not.

I can only roll my eyes so much. I and many others have no problems completing this content, it was not challenging compared to content other MMO's provide but was a nice step up from normal GW2 fare. What I and many others are arguing for is that this content can exclude classes, and does not match up to the difficulty:reward ratio of other fractal content.

T1, T2, T3, T4, that problem will still persist. People in this thread are just arguing two different points.

The
content
can't exclude classes. Let's be realistic, it's easy even on T4. You can do it with any classes and any composition. It's the players that can, and do, exclude classes. There's a solid reason for that - the lack of teamplay in such random compositions. Yesterday someone in a pug asked why people "can't" play anymore without a druid and chrono in their group. It's not that I can't, we did the T4 dailies. It's that I don't want to, because the feeling is so much different. In groups like these everyone is basically playing solo. You play next to other players, but not
with
them. It's not remotely as fun as playing in a good composition where characters have different roles to execute.

And that's the thing. The design direction the fractal team is taking encourages teamplay. It makes the whole experience more fun, more engaging. And is therefore better. If for some reason you're fan of the "play solo next to others" approach, then you can still have it. And if you find it too hard, then drop down a tier to relax the difficulty. But if you, like me, find this boring, then it's extremely good that we can
now
have actual team content in instances designed to be played by, you know, teams.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that it's not a difficulty issue, at least not in a vacuum. It's fundamentally a rewards and consistency one. This fractal has the same rewards as older fractals while being significantly more demanding and having a significantly more punishing pacing. It's not about us being unable to complete it - I did, several times - it's about us not agreeing with removing older fractals with a more casual pacing and design for something much more difficult without adding meaningful rewards. Dropping a tier isn't a solution, t3 rewards in comparison are utter garbage. And you know it, so instead of using strawman arguments just say that you disagree on the fact that newer fractals that aren't 101+ should match older ones in terms of difficulty and rewards. That would be more honest than what you're trying to achieve. If you don't agree that a consistent risk/rewards ratio and time investment are issues then we can agree to disagree like adults and move on.

What I'm saying is you can have them consistent.Whenever I pug a fractal and end up with a random bunch of classes and players who aren't even trying to work together, I get exactly what you describe. Whenever I play in a properly composed team, with players who utilize the mechanics of the game, I get exactly the opposite. My full time spent to full clear doesn't vary significantly. And I don't see a great variance in difficulty either.

Is it too far-fetched, based on these observations, to conclude that t4 is intended to encourage team play and balanced to be consistent when played in this intended manner?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:Because you can't play lower-tier fractals?Suure. First it was "then don't raid". Then it was "don't do fractal CMs". Then it was "don't do t4's (or t3s)". What's next? "then don't play fractals"? "Don't play the game"? It's not like it's an one-time change - it's a process that keeps progressing. And with each new change the game becomes less and less fun.

It becomes more and more fun for me. Ultimately - yeah, if you dislike a specific content, then don't play it. It's that simple. The game is big, and it has features targeted at all kinds of players. I don't do brawls, I don't do sPvP, I don't do complex JPs like the one in Malchor's Leap or that in Ember Bay. And guess what? It's fine. These are all things for other players to enjoy. Likewise, T4, CMs and raids are for people with a mindset similar to mine. To each their own.

@Ahlen.7591 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Ahlen.7591 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Ahlen.7591 said:Also classes without consistent sustain are at a pretty massive disadvantage on the last boss.

Because you play it solo, kappa.

It's a cooperative game, all it takes is 1 support. 98-99-100 are actually harder to carry (and therefore - harder overall) because there are actual mechanics that can wipe you if players fail. Oasis you can just outheal.

GW2 as a game is not built on having a support, all classes are supposed to be able to stand on their own without a healer.

So saying "Just bring a healer" is counter to what this game is sold as.

Trust me I know, I play support FB and Druid and yes it makes it way easier. HOWEVER, that doesn't excuse design that either forces a healer or forces certain classes out of the game.

You are straight up making my argument for me when you say bring a support to cover for classes that lack sustain.

You can. On lower tiers. Stop pretending all of this game is casual. It's not.

I can only roll my eyes so much. I and many others have no problems completing this content, it was not challenging compared to content other MMO's provide but was a nice step up from normal GW2 fare. What I and many others are arguing for is that this content can exclude classes, and does not match up to the difficulty:reward ratio of other fractal content.

T1, T2, T3, T4, that problem will still persist. People in this thread are just arguing two different points.

The
content
can't exclude classes. Let's be realistic, it's easy even on T4. You can do it with any classes and any composition. It's the players that can, and do, exclude classes. There's a solid reason for that - the lack of teamplay in such random compositions. Yesterday someone in a pug asked why people "can't" play anymore without a druid and chrono in their group. It's not that I can't, we did the T4 dailies. It's that I don't want to, because the feeling is so much different. In groups like these everyone is basically playing solo. You play next to other players, but not
with
them. It's not remotely as fun as playing in a good composition where characters have different roles to execute.

And that's the thing. The design direction the fractal team is taking encourages teamplay. It makes the whole experience more fun, more engaging. And is therefore better. If for some reason you're fan of the "play solo next to others" approach, then you can still have it. And if you find it too hard, then drop down a tier to relax the difficulty. But if you, like me, find this boring, then it's extremely good that we can
now
have actual team content in instances designed to be played by, you know, teams.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that it's not a difficulty issue, at least not in a vacuum. It's fundamentally a rewards and consistency one. This fractal has the same rewards as older fractals while being significantly more demanding and having a significantly more punishing pacing. It's not about us being unable to complete it - I did, several times - it's about us not agreeing with removing older fractals with a more casual pacing and design for something much more difficult without adding meaningful rewards. Dropping a tier isn't a solution, t3 rewards in comparison are utter garbage. And you know it, so instead of using strawman arguments just say that you disagree on the fact that newer fractals that aren't 101+ should match older ones in terms of difficulty and rewards. That would be more honest than what you're trying to achieve. If you don't agree that a consistent risk/rewards ratio and time investment are issues then we can agree to disagree like adults and move on.

What I'm saying is you can have them consistent.Whenever I pug a fractal and end up with a random bunch of classes and players who aren't even trying to work together, I get exactly what you describe. Whenever I play in a properly composed team, with players who utilize the mechanics of the game, I get exactly the opposite. My full time spent to full clear doesn't vary significantly. And I don't see a great variance in difficulty either.

Is it too far-fetched, based on these observations, to conclude that t4 is
intended
to encourage team play and balanced to be consistent when played in this intended manner?

In fact if you require a fundamentally different way to play the game, it's a step up in difficulty. How major, that is open to discussion but even you implicitly admitted that it is harder in previous posts.

Now I don't mind whether oasis gets nerfed to match all the older ones or if the older ones get a rework to be more like oasis but in this case they better double the gold per hour earnings. That's my entire point. Higher difficulty or stricter requirements should always equate higher rewards, in my eyes this suffers no exception.

Nightmare is also harder than Oasis. Arguably even Thaumanova is harder. Really, it only prevents you from face-rolling the boss. You either need a support (a single one suffices), or a party of characters who aren't all full glass. It's not an unreasonable request. It encourages team play and serves to bridge the gap from the face-roll-able bosses (which hopefully would disappear completely from T4 one day) and the much, much higher requirements of the fractal CMs. You can't expect people who yawn and afk while the jellyfish at Aquatic dies to dodge Artsariiv's AOEs, while bouncing her ball, while taking bomb to shelter, while dealing with her chain-lightning-casting adds. The devs are doing a brilliant job of making the fractals more fun with pretty well measured difficulty.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:Fun is subjective :)

Devs are doing good work but the place for their work is in raids, not fractals :)

Raids are a totally different tier. And if you find the new fractals too hard, just drop a tier down. Or, you know, learn to actually use the mechanics of the game?

@Feanor.2358 said:

Devs are doing good work but the place for their work is in raids, not fractals :)

Raids are a totally different tier. And if you find the new fractals too hard, just drop a tier down. Or, you know, learn to actually use the mechanics of the game?

I'm completing T4s on daily basis. I find them annoying and I'm voicing my disgust :)

Fractals are not supposed to be raids so keep mechanical and visual mess to raid content :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

I'm completing T4s on daily basis. I find them annoying and I'm voicing my disgust :)

Fractals are not supposed to be raids so keep mechanical and visual mess to raid content :)

Fractals aren't raids, by any measure. But most importantly, if you're doing daily something you find annoying in a game, you need to step back and rethink something. Games are played for fun. That's their sole purpose.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

Fractals aren't raids, by any measure. But most importantly, if you're doing daily something you find annoying
in a game
, you need to step back and rethink something. Games are played for fun. That's their sole purpose.

I'm playing fractals for rewards.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

Fractals aren't raids, by any measure. But most importantly, if you're doing daily something you find annoying
in a game
, you need to step back and rethink something. Games are played for fun. That's their sole purpose.

There's your problem.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

in a game

There's your problem.

There is no problem here. Please don't project on me your personal opinions :)

@Sister Saxifrage.7361 said:The learning curve in 87 is steep, but short. I feel like the amount of complaining over it reveals the number of players who have never keybound the SAK and don't use it. Not saying everyone complaining about it is failing to use it properly... but I bet their groups are.

Yes it was so but they nearly everyone has caught up now.(unlike Observatory) The only remaining problem is the tornado which will be changed.This isn't the fault of the players this skill was always by default clumsy to use and was mainly for story instances.(there were a few bosses who need it but only on one map)

And like the break bar there wasn't much communication of the game about it use or in this case future use. I think some more deep tutorial quests would be good.Also for future mechanic I want a doge fractal inspired by the tower where you need to doge upwards the stairs the flamethrower in the PoF map ( so that all classes learn to doge)

After replaying it at T3 yesterday for the rec their are two things that I think need to change about the fractal.The first is that the aoe lines need to be brighter or more distinct. I have a green torch and that aura makes it nearly impossible to see where the red lines are at times. I think the aoe spam could be fine if I could see where the lines end without having to stop and squint. The other is their either needs to be a delay in attack after getting kicked from the priest shield areas or have it not be a knock down. Especially on success. It feels cheap when you get hit because the shield pushes you out and immediately an instadown aoe or even a high dmg one is right there. If you want to keep the knock down on failure, fine, at least you can watch the timer. But sometimes it is hard to see when the target dies and you get pushed out with little to no time to respond only to to be hit really hard.

TLDR

1. The aoe lines need to be more distinct, can't see them with all of the aura lights etc.
  2. Their needs to be a delay in attacks after priest phase or it not knock you down.

While I agree fractals should not be Raids and be more like Dungeons, people who complain about difficulty in T4 should just up their game or go T3. The tier system is made with these people in mind after all - too hard? lower the tier (difficulty). If the game isn't even remotely challenging at the highest tier, people would quickly just quit, because the content wouldn't be engaging. Truthfully, to me the content isn't difficult at all by itself and I'm artificially setting the difficulty higher for me by applying as much tryharding on my class as I possibly can, with consumables, bundle items and such - to sustain the feeling of challenge.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:And where is the problem with telling players to play the lower tier?If you think that telling someone that has played a given content and was fine with it before that part of that content is no longer for him anymore is okay, and that person shouldn't be displeased, then i guess our way of looking at things is just way too different.

And telling to ppl that wanted hard 5 man and 10 man content for years that now that we start getting them its bad is okay?

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:But that's the whole point - i did like t4s originally. It's the
content
that changed, not me. The game that i liked is being changed, piece by piece, into one that i find far less fun.Yes, i did stop doing fractal dailies and now visit that part of the game only very occasionally. That is what i am complaining against - these late changes chased me away from the content i was completely fine with before.
That
is what hurts the most.

Again, if you find T4 too much trouble for you, then play T3. There are dailies in T3 too you don't have to play T4 for the dailies. Completely moving away of Fractals when there are so many tiers of difficulty to choose from is illogical. Many people argued, including you, that multiple difficulty tiers were good for a game, I guess it was all a lie.

They are changing T4 difficulty with recent additions. Shattered observatory is the best example. Even for normal mode this fractal is oversaturated mess. CMs are okay as they are intended to be raid like content. T4s are not supposed to be so.

You started with "dont like raids, go fractals". Today it's "dont like new fractals, go lower tier". Tomorrow you gonna tell "leave open world, go play character selection screen".

Anet made huge mistake catering to people like you and enforcing your misguided feel that raiding crowd can usurp and dictate how group content should look in our game. You have raids for raid content - stay there and don't change fractals in raids 2.0.

What do you expect the raiders should do after clearing their raid in 1-2 days leave the game for the week?Yea that will entice them to buy from the gemstore no doubt.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:But that's the whole point - i did like t4s originally. It's the
content
that changed, not me. The game that i liked is being changed, piece by piece, into one that i find far less fun.Yes, i did stop doing fractal dailies and now visit that part of the game only very occasionally. That is what i am complaining against - these late changes chased me away from the content i was completely fine with before.
That
is what hurts the most.

Again, if you find T4 too much trouble for you, then play T3. There are dailies in T3 too you don't have to play T4 for the dailies. Completely moving away of Fractals when there are so many tiers of difficulty to choose from is illogical. Many people argued, including you, that multiple difficulty tiers were good for a game, I guess it was all a lie.

They are changing T4 difficulty with recent additions. Shattered observatory is the best example. Even for normal mode this fractal is oversaturated mess. CMs are okay as they are intended to be raid like content. T4s are not supposed to be so.

You started with "dont like raids, go fractals". Today it's "dont like new fractals, go lower tier". Tomorrow you gonna tell "leave open world, go play character selection screen".

Anet made huge mistake catering to people like you and enforcing your misguided feel that raiding crowd can usurp and dictate how group content should look in our game. You have raids for raid content - stay there and don't change fractals in raids 2.0.

What do you expect the raiders should do after clearing their raid in 1-2 days leave the game for the week?Yea that will entice them to buy from the gemstore no doubt.

Play open world events or wvw like the rest of us? There's a lot to do besides raids or fractals. I'm a raid capable player and still do a bit of open world because why not (facerolls are fun when the rewards are there) and all sorts of fun pvp activities, because that's where the real challenge is. :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

1. Raids have no visual mess. Raid telegraphs are very specific, there is no unnecessary clutter and raids are not an AOE spam fest or bullethell. I dont know where you have gotten this idea from. The difficulty of t4 fractals and CMs is different of that in raids.

2. Raid mechanics are nothing like fractal mechanics.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

content
That
is what hurts the most.

I expect you not to make my fav group content into raiding 2.0

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

in a game

There's your problem.

There actually is a problem with your thinking here. If you do something for easy rewards in a game and put this over other people having more fun with actually doing and enjoying better but harder content, then I'd say having an easy farm has lower priority as enjoyable content.

Also, I redid the fractal on T3 pug and oh my god... Those people do 1/3 the damage they should, they dodge nothing, DON'T CC!, don't use the special action key, ignore all mechanics and even the druid dies extremely fast while I was constantly last man standing as a glassy weaver. And the fun fact: And I didn't even use dps pots while they did...If people think that you should be able to clear a T3/4 frac while ignoring all mechanics and playing your class extremely bad, like those individuals, than I'm okay with ignoring their complaints and hope Anet does the same. If you refuse to do anything right, then simply learn to play.It was clearly poor design, that you can clear old T3/4 fractals whithout any comprehension and it's a good thing they go into a more mechanic-centered direction there.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

in a game

There's your problem.

Right when you stop projecting your own personal opinions on other players and the game itself. ;)

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:

in a game

There's your problem.

Right when you stop projecting your own personal opinions on other players and the game itself. ;)

Thank the six I'm not doing this to begin with :)

Archived