SotO map preview from ArenaNet Partner Aurora Peachy

11 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Not sure how to react. It all feels very familiar like it reminds me of other games or something. WoW maybe, Aion Online perhaps? Can't put my finger on it but I just can't shake that feeling that I've seen this before. 

It's a more classic high fantasy setting, ofc it will remind you of other high fintasy movies, games etc..

EoD has an original and never seen before setting, but do you like it? Do you enoy the over saturated green jade everywhere or do you prefer this classic style?

Asking for a friend

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, TheThief.8475 said:

It's a more classic high fantasy setting, ofc it will remind you of other high fintasy movies, games etc..

EoD has an original and never seen before setting, but do you like it? Do you enoy the over saturated green jade everywhere or do you prefer this classic style?

Asking for a friend

Exactly. High fantasy setting like this is overrepresented in MMOs. Jungle survival, arabian nights and cyberpunk instead are hardly seen, which makes them unique.

But still excited about the coming expansion. About time Guild Wars 2 get its own shiny magical towers.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

Asking for a friend

Hehe, no I don't like the oversaturated green. And I would've loved to see some more amber and Kurzick style in there but no the jade and the Luxons set the tone here. Even when Gyala Delve part 1 came out. What were the weapon rewards? Yep Luxon weapons. I never played part 2 of that map. Did they have Kurzick weapons there? Doubt it. 

But GW2 has always had their own distinct look, whether or not you like it is irrelevant. This feels like it's not part of that distinctive look but rather copied from something else. Oh well, I'm gonna see how it strikes me when I go there myself next week.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

Exactly. High fantasy setting like this is overrepresented in MMOs. Jungle survival, arabian nights and cyberpunk instead are hardly seen, which makes them unique.

Yes, but for cyberpunk aesthetics you play sci-fi games not fantasy games.

Classic high-fantasy designs are more suited for a fanatasy game, especially when well designed, and especially when the cyberpunk campaign you got looked so improvisedly patched together with its individual elements not going together at all but instead created an ugly cacophony.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

But still excited about the coming expansion. About time Guild Wars 2 get its own shiny magical towers.

Overrepresented how? Most MMOs aren't high Fantasy at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Peachy is so excited in that video that she forgets to smile and seems to keep having to remember to say "uh....oh" to show her excitement even if her face is not showing it. 😉

On 8/19/2023 at 12:20 PM, TheThief.8475 said:

No, I don't like the oversaturated toxic waste green. But not because it's original, but because it's not made well enough for my taste.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:20 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Not sure how to react. It all feels very familiar like it reminds me of other games or something. WoW maybe, Aion Online perhaps? Can't put my finger on it but I just can't shake that feeling that I've seen this before. 

It reminds me a bit of the Djinn Envclave(Desolation) and the Necropolis(Vabbi), just less dead and sand and more gold and marble.

Nonetheless, it looks nice and I'm curious to see what it really looks like as a whole when I explore it myself starting tomorrow evening (my local time).

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

> EoD has an original and never seen before setting, but do you like it? Do you enoy the over saturated green jade everywhere or do you prefer this classic style?

No, I don't like the oversaturated toxic waste green. But not because it's original, but because it's not made well enough for my taste.

Ditto. It was sloppily executed (you could see they were in a hurry to finish up), and as a result neither the colors nor the different design styles fit together.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 8/18/2023 at 4:20 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Not sure how to react. It all feels very familiar like it reminds me of other games or something.

The building architecture and colour theme reminds me of Orokin architecture in Warframe, with a touch of TES white gold tower.