Please change the fireball aiming [Merged]

i understand that i  am  in a very small minority that can only play with one hand. i have to use the mouse to aim then switch back to keyboard to use the fire ball on my skyscale. my request is making you lock on be like your toon does on the keyboard. i know  odds are it will  not happen since i am one of the few possibly the only one in game that can only use one hand i get it. thought i would ask on the off chance you will do it.

Edited by trunks.5249
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, trunks.5249 said:

i understand that i  am  in a very small minority that can only play with one hand. i have to use the mouse to aim then switch back to keyboard to use the fire ball on my skyscale. my request is making you lock on be like your toon does on the keyboard. i know  odds are it will  not happen since i am one of the few possibly the only one in game that can only use one hand i get it. thought i would ask on the off chance you will do it.

You are not alone, I play with 2 hands I don't even know how to aim it. Fireball needs buffs too, it can't even kill a turrets with 10 rounds

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, babana.7521 said:

You are not alone, I play with 2 hands I don't even know how to aim it. Fireball needs buffs too, it can't even kill a turrets with 10 rounds

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fireball_(skyscale)
While holding the abiliy button down, you can precisely aim where the skyscale will launch the fireball. Release the ability button to launch the fireball in that direction.

The instructions are in the skill tooltip. And I hope they will not buff it.

13 minutes ago, Nidome.1365 said:

From a personal perspective I would say not, in fact I would say the opposite.

I'd say @Beast Sos.1457 is correct, using skills with your thumb by pressing additional mouse buttons lowers or even removes moving your hand from the base position on the keyboard. In OP's specific case it can be even more useful, considering aiming this skill requires holding the key down while aiming with the mouse. Moving your mouse is simply much easier when you hold one of the "thumb mouse buttons" in comparison to attempting to move the mouse while holding the "2" key with the same -one- hand.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

While holding the abiliy button down, you can precisely aim where the skyscale will launch the fireball. Release the ability button to launch the fireball in that direction.

The instructions are in the skill tooltip. And I hope they will not buff it.

May I know what is the "ability button"?

4 minutes ago, babana.7521 said:

May I know what is the "ability button"?

Fireball is a skyscale's ability (as in skill) -to use that ability, you need to press "2", so in this case "holding the ability button" means "pressing and holding 2".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, trunks.5249 said:

mind if i ask how that work?. never bothered getting it.

A mouse with a dozen thumb buttons would let someone aim and fire with one hand.

I like my logitech G600. Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine, though. They seem to be going for about $60 now.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, trunks.5249 said:

mind if i ask how that work?. never bothered getting it.

The fireball ability is bound to skill 2, next to the engage skyscale skill, it forces action camera and the skyscale aims at the dot in the center of the screen, then you need to move your camera while holding down 2 to aim, it fires at things you have targeted as well, it's just a bit clunky at it, as well as the angle where the skyscale can shoot at, it seems... variable. 

It could have been done better, although it's not the end of the world, the worst part is probably the constant switching between tap targeting and action camera, it can be annoying to work with. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The instructions are in the skill tooltip.

The thing is, this differs from most other ground-targeted skills so it's not entirely clear -- unless you mouse over the icon. Which of course you won't typically do if you're triggering skills from the keyboard instead.

Another instance of poor communication about a new feature, I suppose.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

The thing is, this differs from most other ground-targeted skills so it's not entirely clear -- unless you mouse over the icon. Which of course you won't typically do if you're triggering skills from the keyboard instead.

Another instance of poor communication about a new feature, I suppose.

Reading the tooltip is something you really should do anyways, I don't randomly mouse over skills or click to use (outside of some edge cases maybe?) and mousing over the skill/trait to read what it does should be what you do no matter what, after acquiring a new one. I think it's well explained in the tooltip and using it in the current form is rather easy.

I don't think this is somehow a case of "poor communication", I think it's more of a case of the player's unwillingness to read what the game tells them. If someone would rather -as a result- guess what the skill does instead of reading a 1-2 sentence description then there's not much to do about it.

9 minutes ago, Palador.2170 said:

I had the line the first time I used it, but never after. I assumed I was wrong about seeing such a line, but if it's supposed to be there then I guess I'm bugged?

That's weird, must be a bug I guess? Tried restarting the game? Maybe you changed some options and somehow that line was affected too?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Palador.2170 said:

I had the line the first time I used it, but never after. I assumed I was wrong about seeing such a line, but if it's supposed to be there then I guess I'm bugged?

The line appear when you hold the skill, aim with the line, then release the fireball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1