I know staff will be support, but Wukong inspired melee monk would be way cooler

Yerlock.4678

8 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

But what it it was actually useful though?

A useful support weapon, on Warrior? Did King Thorn invade the professions design team?!

Considering King Thorn, it'd probably be fun, if Staff was a AoE Power Weapon. HOWEVER, it also burns the Warrior and each enemy it hits. And the Burn, only the burn, ignores Aegis, other Blocks and Blind.

Even if said burn was just a visual effect, it'd be better than most of our kit, because it'd be a playful weapon.

And the weapon abilities, icons and animations are just recolours of Daredevil's. The cooldowns will be twice as many seconds, as their Initiative costs are on Thief.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

Just keep thinking to yourself how it has to function.

Highest support value on F1 would be horrible. A berserker F1 burst being support would be kind of goofy. Staff weapon skills would have to be ridicoulus strong to be even remotely useful.

Its hybrid at best. Might as well give it a full dps treatment and feed the memes of warrior.

Edited by anbujackson.9564

9 minutes ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

Just keep thinking to yourself how it has to function.

Highest support value on F1 would be horrible. A berserker F1 burst being support would be kind of goofy. Staff weapon skills would have to be ridicoulus strong to be even remotely useful.

Its hybrid at best. Might as well give it a full dps treatment and feed the memes of warrior.

I've actually done an unhealthy amount of thinking on the subject.

I still think they will throw spaghetti at the wall trying to make it support leaving Support Warrior remaining aggressively mediocre without significant shake ups (read: buffs) to it's support trait and utility options. 

58 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

I've actually done an unhealthy amount of thinking on the subject.

I still think they will throw spaghetti at the wall trying to make it support leaving Support Warrior remaining aggressively mediocre without significant shake ups (read: buffs) to it's support trait and utility options. 

Hah nice, I didnt see that one yet. Wasnt really that active on the forums in summer.

Couldnt have summarized it better really. Exactly the thoughts I have.

I would like to add something: 

If I look at other classes which use a staff, it kind of confirms to me that staff cant be great. There is always a defense option on 1 skill like a block/evade etc., 1 skill is for cc and then you have 3 left, 2 without autoattack.

So yeah, those 2 skills better be great as support. If not you are going to be very sad indeed.

I can see staff with cripple and weakness on the AA chain. Skill 2, if we are going support, I can see as a barrier+cleanse skill. Skill 3 I can see a medium AoE heal plus protection. Skill 4 I can see a big barrier skill with regen and/or vigor. Skill 5 would be the big heal with resolution and another defense boon. F1 could be a heal with large scaling numbers based on Tier, Spellbreaker would chain it back-to-back with Full Counter anyway. Primal burst could be a moderate base heal that extends the duration of boons on the party.

All of the barrier and heals would have to be low base values but very high scaling.

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I can see staff with cripple and weakness on the AA chain. Skill 2, if we are going support, I can see as a barrier+cleanse skill. Skill 3 I can see a medium AoE heal plus protection. Skill 4 I can see a big barrier skill with regen and/or vigor. Skill 5 would be the big heal with resolution and another defense boon. F1 could be a heal with large scaling numbers based on Tier, Spellbreaker would chain it back-to-back with Full Counter anyway. Primal burst could be a moderate base heal that extends the duration of boons on the party.

All of the barrier and heals would have to be low base values but very high scaling.

Well that would be 3 heal skills, 4 including F1. 

Thats more heal than staff on ranger. Also it would have too many boons.

Staff on ranger has regen, thats it. 3 for a heal, combining with 5 for a bigger heal. 1 and 2 can be used on allies (didnt have that at the beginning) for minor constant heals. Staff on guardian has swiftness on 3, big heal on 2 and some small heal with might on 4. Rev has a heal on 4 and thats it. Nec staff is pretty much just a dps weapon. And ele water has a bit of heals but no boons (except maybe regen).

So yeah two boons at the most (1 redudant boon, 1 defensive) and maybe 2 heals. Thats what I expect at least. And thats not enough. You cant frontload all the missing aspects in one weapon. Especially not if there is an issue regarding F1 scaling.

26 minutes ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

A support warrior weapon is needed just like GOOD ranged ones, but seems like staff is gonna be a bonking melee weapon, if you preview any staff skin as warrior, it wields the staff just like rev and DD does, like a melee weapon. 

Which means they have shadow patched in at some point the necessary rigging for it on Warrior in preparation for the update.

2 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

Well that would be 3 heal skills, 4 including F1. 

Thats more heal than staff on ranger. Also it would have too many boons.

Staff on ranger has regen, thats it. 3 for a heal, combining with 5 for a bigger heal. 1 and 2 can be used on allies (didnt have that at the beginning) for minor constant heals. Staff on guardian has swiftness on 3, big heal on 2 and some small heal with might on 4. Rev has a heal on 4 and thats it. Nec staff is pretty much just a dps weapon. And ele water has a bit of heals but no boons (except maybe regen).

So yeah two boons at the most (1 redudant boon, 1 defensive) and maybe 2 heals. Thats what I expect at least. And thats not enough. You cant frontload all the missing aspects in one weapon. Especially not if there is an issue regarding F1 scaling.

Yeah but that staff also shipped with a support mechanic and support traitline to bolster it.

I'd much like it to be a quick-paced melee weapon with added mobility and sustain, so I can finally drop GS as a roamer weapon.

I never understood the reason to play heal warr, guard and rev are heavies that do that much better.

It's not like a weapon will save warr. BsW was meant to be the healer spec, we did not get that so warr's fate is sealed.

If it is a healer weapon, it will be mid and people will still be angry, rightfully so.

I don't mind being similar to a daredevil, as I will be able to troll thieves by mocking them.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

I'd much like it to be a quick-paced melee weapon with added mobility and sustain, so I can finally drop GS as a roamer weapon.

I never understood the reason to play heal warr, guard and rev are heavies that do that much better.

It's not like a weapon will save warr. BsW was meant to be the healer spec, we did not get that so warr's fate is sealed.

If it is a healer weapon, it will be mid and people will still be angry, rightfully so.

I don't mind being similar to a daredevil, as I will be able to troll thieves by mocking them.

If you catch yourself thinking "I wish this new weapon was just GS but better so I can drop GS" then ask for GS buffs

Warrior is the class with the smallest scope in the game. If this forum could pull it's head out of it's 3 spin vs 1 spin hole maybe it could rally around things that actually matter. 

11 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

If you catch yourself thinking "I wish this new weapon was just GS but better so I can drop GS" then ask for GS buffs

Warrior is the class with the smallest scope in the game. If this forum could pull it's head out of it's 3 spin vs 1 spin hole maybe it could rally around things that actually matter. 

GS will never be buffed as it's Power Warr's signature.

The abilities will never change.

I have also got bored of it.

My best bet is for staff to provide similar damage and self-sustain in a different way.

Then again, I don't bet on it.

Hard thinking about warrior changes was my thing for the past 3 - 4 years. No intention to keep doing that so I'll stick to the surface level suggestions and wishes. 

I already did a little bit of thinking about it already, but that post got buried.

spoilers are for keeping the post short.

Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

AA: range spear throw that enemies in a line and pierces and does more dmg if you have might. (I don't think that the aa should do anything supporty because that would introduce powercreep and weird balance)

2 skill: throw a banner into an enemy and dmg them allies within the radius gain might and heal, enemies gain weakness (pulsing)

3 skill: conjure a balustrade at the target location enemies in front gain damage and bleed, allies behind it gain protection (pulsing)

4 skill: call down a rain of spears at the location damaging foes and granting swiftness and fury to allies

5 skill: evade forwards, gain swiftness and adrenaline.

burst: throw a banner into the enemy dmging it and pulse alac to allies near it

berserker burst: throw spear into an enemy which pulses burning, bleeding, cripple to any of its allies in a radius around it.

spellbreaker burst: throw a spear into an enemy, stealing the first 7 boons applied to it and then reduces any boon durations after by 25% for a few seconds

notes: this a rough idea and I am open to suggestions.

Edited by Infinity.2876

it has to be support because warrior has no support weapon. currently they're not a viable healer because all their utility skills do the same things and compete with each other, i.e its impossible to take shout healing and offensive boons while also giving a fair amount of defensive boons. this is a big issue as warrior is currently the only remaining class in the game without a viable full support build (after tactical reload got ruined).

this will largely be solved by having a weapon that heals, finally freeing us from the decade-long jail of shoutheal warrior.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1