Wizard Vault rewards compared to previously login rewards

Metaljaw.6437

Can we get all the stuff we used to get from the monthly login rewards re-included in the wizard vault rewards list. Specifically the black lion box we had 4 of per month and mystic forge stones.

Also, I think the amount of astral shards awarded from logging in for 28 days should be sufficient to at least get the items we previously did.

Under my calculation on the new wizard's vault, to buy just the stuff that still offfered:

Item  Total/Mo                AS Cost               Total AS
Mystic coins  20 9 180
Laurels 35 10 350
Tomes of knowledge 10 8 80
Random black lion goods  4    
2000 luck 40 6 240
a random exotic item 1    
Mystic clovers 7 60 420
Obsidian shards  8 50 400
2% gold increase 2 1000 2000
Transmutation charge 3 8 24
Bag of celebration 1    
Bag of crafting materials (Fine) 2    
Total     3694

That's 739 days of AS login rewards (the 5 AS per login) in the new system to replace what we got just from logging in under the old system.  57 days of doing 3 of the 4 daily objectives EACH DAY to make up for what was previously gained from just logging in.  Weeklies obviously add to this, but when you also figure that you lost the chests from doing the previous dailies, this is a massive step back.

This is also separate from the New Daily/Weeklies topic, so please don't merge. I'm not worried about the individual daily events, it's the loss/massive reduction of access to items/crafting components we consistently had before from the monthly login rewards cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

Yeah, by design. It's pretty clear that one of the drivers for the Wizards Vault was to link the rewards more closely to actually playing the game rather than just logging in.

If you do play the game enough to get most dailies weeklies (which will often just happen as a byproduct of your playing if you are playing regularly) then the rewards are both higher and obviously more flexible. My only gripe with the system at this point is when dailies/weeklies want you to go onto maps/expansions you haven't reached yet in your story progression, which is pretty dumb, I don't read a book out of order and I'm not playing the GW2 story out of order either.

If you just login daily instead then you get less, as Anet obviously intended.

• Like 7

I don't think it's a problem that it's not a 1:1 match to the rewards offered under the old system and I agree with all the people pointing out that it's almost certainly intentional that you now have to play the game to get the best rewards instead of just logging in so it's very unlikely they're going to change it to award most of the AA just for logging in.

It's also worth considering that there are equivalents or alternatives to a lot of the 'missing' rewards. For example we get fewer crafting materials, but can get gold (remember the OP is talking about the login rewards specifically, not dailies which used to give 2g if you completed 3 of them) to buy crafting materials. We don't get the Chest of Black Lion Goods but we can get revive orbs and transmutation charges, two of the items that came from it. We've only seen the first season's offerings so far and we know they're going to change, what might happen is each season offers different items from that chest, so you just need to stock up on the ones you want when they're available. (With the benefit that you can do that because you can choose which rewards to get.)

By the way you get a celebration booster for completing the weekly meta-achievement, so that's not gone, just moved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

It seems far more generous to me.  The tradeoff is you actually have to play the game.

With my limited pay time , max 1h per day, that new system prevent me to play the actual game , instead I’m seeking to close those daily and weekly. 
Im not anymore in WvW , I do less team content ( fractal) and lagging behind in the new expansion. 

• Confused 5

7 minutes ago, TheArtOfMouts.7468 said:

With my limited pay time , max 1h per day, that new system prevent me to play the actual game , instead I’m seeking to close those daily and weekly. 
Im not anymore in WvW , I do less team content ( fractal) and lagging behind in the new expansion. 

It favor dedicated players , and screw up casual player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, TheArtOfMouts.7468 said:

As a casual player, hard disagree. I did the math here somewhere, and can get better rewards playing a couple times a week, doing 3/4 dailies and 4/6 weeklies, so not even getting completionist.

Many times I log in, see that I’ll hit daily completionist doing almost anything in the game, and the only thing I have to do is click the boxes when they glow.

This system is much more casual friendly than the old.

• Like 7

i'm not trying to be mean, but there's already multiple threads on this as well as full break-downs on reddit.

i think almost all attempts to look at this only take into account astral acclaim, and also forget that the chests also still give some of the old rewards. the data shows the overall value of the login rewards is far higher on the new system than it has ever been before: for example you used to only get 14g/week, and now you can get 40g/week. it seems most of what was removed were items that were unpopular to begin with.

from what i've experienced the black lion box was seen as a wasted reward. most of the time it gave something useless like a merchant or repair canister, and eventually they give so many black lion salvage kits that you end up with an entire bank tab full of them.

now on the new system you can chose to have a throwaway item like a revive orb, or spend it on something useful instead.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheArtOfMouts.7468 said:

I've found myself in that situation with daily systems at times, both in other games and in GW2 and my advice is make yourself stop doing it and reassess the situation. If you spend all your time grinding for rewards and never get to actually enjoy using them then they're not worth having, and therefore not worth spending the time to get.

Everything in the Wizard's Vault will be available later on and most of it is available by other methods now, so you don't actually need to spend a lot of time on it if you don't want to. You only need 4,625 AA to get all the exclusive rewards (including all 150 laurels and 5 weapon skins), or 6,275 if you want all 16 weapon skins, but I doubt anyone actually wants to use all of them. (Personally I'm skipping the shoulder skin, most of the weapons, and the bless emote because I almost never use emotes...I can always get them later if I change my mind.)

You could probably skip most of the achievements and just do the ones which are very quick to do or happen to fit in with what you're doing anyway (you'll probably loot 10 enemies, dodge 3 attacks, salvage 100 items etc. in the course of a normal day or week) and still have enough AA to get a lot of the exclusive rewards, or some of the non-exclusive stuff if you prefer.

But initially to help break the habit I recommend ignoring it as much as possible. Pick an achievement to track so the Wizard's Vault list isn't on your screen and just focus on what you actually want to do that day. Then when you're about to log off for the day check the menu to pick up any AA you earned so you don't miss it, but ignore the uncompleted ones. Then later on if you want a prompt for what to do that day you could look at the list to see if there's anything you want to do, but only complete them if you actually want to, not because they're there and you feel like you have to.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I don't read a book out of order and I'm not playing the GW2 story out of order either.

That would be my preference too, but that ship sailed basically once I returned to the game after a long absence.

At this point I've just accepted that for me, the story will forever be an anachronistic jumble. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

The new wizard vault system is so much better than the old daily system.  The gold equivalent from mats, raw gold and unique items is a massive upgrade.  I know a lot of people don't like pvp, but I just set dailys and weeklys on pvp only.  I usually get dailys done in 2 games or less and weeklies done in about 5 or 6 games.  You can turn off team chat so you don't have to see the occasional toxic person.  I do see that pvp ques are much shorter after the vault was introduced so a lot more are playing pvp as well for the new vault rewards.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheArtOfMouts.7468 said:

The new dailies tend to be quicker than the old ones.  If WvW dailies are taking too long, switch to PvE.  For example, today was 3 combos, 1 Kryptis rift event, break 1 enemy defiance bar.  In other words, today's daily was to go do 1 Kryptis rift event.  What would that take? 5 minutes?  Doing that would give credit toward 3 weeklies as well.

• Like 6

You basically autocomplete 2-3 daillies and weeklies just by existing since they're general stuff - dodge a thing, salvage a thing, etc. Unless all you did was log in and log out every day, the current system is vastly more rewarding, especially with the boxes you get for completing a daily/weekly and the seasonal options - you get, what, 300 of the currency just for doing the new expansion story? 200 something just for using a ley line? There are some rewards I'd like to see there (spirit shard - instead of just tomes, mystic forge stones, etc) but by and large the new system is much more rewarding overall than the old one. Interestingly enough, I am starting to miss the black lion salvage kit...I didn't used to play enough to actually burn through my current stock at any decent rate, but now I do.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I've found myself in that situation with daily systems at times, both in other games and in GW2 and my advice is make yourself stop doing it and reassess the situation. If you spend all your time grinding for rewards and never get to actually enjoy using them then they're not worth having, and therefore not worth spending the time to get.

Everything in the Wizard's Vault will be available later on and most of it is available by other methods now, so you don't actually need to spend a lot of time on it if you don't want to. You only need 4,625 AA to get all the exclusive rewards (including all 150 laurels and 5 weapon skins), or 6,275 if you want all 16 weapon skins, but I doubt anyone actually wants to use all of them. (Personally I'm skipping the shoulder skin, most of the weapons, and the bless emote because I almost never use emotes...I can always get them later if I change my mind.)

You could probably skip most of the achievements and just do the ones which are very quick to do or happen to fit in with what you're doing anyway (you'll probably loot 10 enemies, dodge 3 attacks, salvage 100 items etc. in the course of a normal day or week) and still have enough AA to get a lot of the exclusive rewards, or some of the non-exclusive stuff if you prefer.

But initially to help break the habit I recommend ignoring it as much as possible. Pick an achievement to track so the Wizard's Vault list isn't on your screen and just focus on what you actually want to do that day. Then when you're about to log off for the day check the menu to pick up any AA you earned so you don't miss it, but ignore the uncompleted ones. Then later on if you want a prompt for what to do that day you could look at the list to see if there's anything you want to do, but only complete them if you actually want to, not because they're there and you feel like you have to.

I've hit all of the weeklies and specials so far and I think almost every daily as well.  With 48 days remaining I've already unlocked all of the skins including the full weapon set, the emote, the legendary starter kit, the build storage and expansion templates, the limited supply gold bags, the mystic coins, and currently working on the clovers.  By the end of the season I'm sure I'll have everything I want and be spending the excess on the unlimited gold bags.

While I'm hitting almost everything, it seems pretty clear that you don't have to do that to get a lot more rewards than the old system offered.  For me personally, the fact that it actually offers cosmetic unlocks (and even mount skins!) makes it better all on its own!  I frankly don't care one little bit about login reward farmers having their free loot cut off.  I'm glad to see it go.  If you want rewards you should play the game.  If you don't want to play the game, then what are you doing here?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

the data shows the overall value of the login rewards is far higher on the new system than it has ever been before: for example you used to only get 14g/week, and now you can get 40g/week. it seems most of what was removed were items that were unpopular to begin with.

from what i've experienced the black lion box was seen as a wasted reward. most of the time it gave something useless like a merchant or repair canister, and eventually they give so many black lion salvage kits that you end up with an entire bank tab full of them.

I'm not saying you can't earn more on the new system, though I'm not sure that the 40g/week holds since there are caps on a lot of the items and that cap doesn't appear to reset for about at least 11 weeks (it said 75 days when I first looked at the specials tab). I'm saying they massively increased the threshold effort necessary to get just level with what we did before. I don't always have time to play, and I'd rather play than go hunting for dailies. Before I was able to take the daily achievement or leave it. Now I find myself having to grind it, and that turns me off a bit.

As far as the black lion box being a waste, I'd agree with you if I had another option for black lion salvage kits than the gem store. Unfortunately they decided to include the junk rewards from the black lion chest rather than the ones people like.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Confused 3

Hrrmn. Dailies are 65AA and a gold each if you just get the chest, and at the minimum return of 30AA per one gold, that's a total of 22 gold. Doing six weeklies will give you 240AA, which you can convert into another 8 gold minimum. I don't recall off the top of my head what the weekly chest is but I'm pretty sure it's at least 300AA, which will bring the total to at least 40g.

If you get the right limited-stock items it could be a lot more than that, but you can get the 1g for 30AA bag indefinitely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

I'm not saying you can't earn more on the new system, though I'm not sure that the 40g/week holds since there are caps on a lot of the items and that cap doesn't appear to reset for about at least 11 weeks (it said 75 days when I first looked at the specials tab)

Well, it holds, you can get 1295aa weekly (75*7 + 770), that translate to 43g using the infinite 30aa gold. Add in the gold of the dailies itself, and you're up to 50g.

If you go for the minimum for the chest, that's 1145aa (65*7 + 690), so 38g + 7g, 45g total. 

Of course, if you still have the limited one, if ever more profitable, but the value is true even without it. 

• Thanks 1

Personally I love the new system a lot more. That there is an alternative option in the daily was a good addition in case things bug out.

It likely us better uf the JP are back as daily and not weekly and put the mini dungeons in the weekly instead but in overal I can finish a weekly in 1 day, 2 tops if I had limited playtime.

The rewards thus far are fine though might want more options like mystic forge stones, bl salvage, more obsidian.. but that is a personal take. That you can get emotes, mount skins, legendary starter kit and ascended stuff is great. Its easier to do dailies and weeklies for me than crafting ascended which brings me to the fact that thosevwho cant craft it yet can still do fractals wher AR is needed, despite their AR is low but they dont need lvl 500 crafting yet.

I honestly feel more motivated now to do dailies. You can choose your game preference for wvw pvp or pve on a daily bases. It is a good way for old content to get some attention.

The first thing I want to note is that despite people have expansions, it doesnt mean that they are there in the game yet. If they can base it on the maps that are unlocked furthest, that would be perfect imo, the second, the duration of the season. It does feel a little to long but I have the luxury to play a lot. I only missed 1 daily cause crab toss was bugged.

• Confused 1

I had surgery on BOTH my eyes yesterday. I realized that I had 27 min before reset and I had spent all day recovering. So literally half blind I logged in. I did my home instance first. 23 min left. I looted my 3 alts in Bjora. 17 min left because I kittened up one and had the reset him. I ported one over to make my ascended crafting time gated stuff. I looted another at a JP. 22 min left. I got my trade contracts from 2 others in the tomb of the kings - 19 min left. I login to my main, collect my 7g waiting in the TP. Log into WvW. Daily is: Cap a camp, kill a yak, take a flag, or kill 3 players. Go to cap my first camp and someone capped it just before I'm there. Go to cap my second and done just before I get there. I now have 13 min left... Switched maps and find a camp and a flag and a Yak. Done, daily hit with 9 minutes to spare. Wait there is a guy to kill... And another... And one flipping a rune. Wow bonus 10 AA. 

Reset hits and I have my next daily done in under 4 min. I didn't even look at what it was and just running around blindly (pun intended) and I get it.  

The point here is it was a few minutes of PLAYING the game and I had full AA for the day. Since SOTO came out I've gotten the Legendary weapons starter, all the coins and clovers, all the cheaper gold option, the gryffin skin, the ascended weapon and armors. My "complaint" is I'm out of rewards to get that actually aren't a waste of AA. Don't care about a 1% increase to gold or revive orbs or transmutation stones. I have stacks of those.

So quit the bitching about what's been "taken away from you" and you'll have plenty of time to earn stuff. Literally even with your eyes closed. 

Edited by Brandolf.6048
Fixed some auto-correct spelling mistakes from my phone
  • Like 4

On 9/18/2023 at 7:32 PM, Metaljaw.6437 said:

Also, don't get it twisted. I like the new option to pick and choose what I buy with my *login rewards*.  I just don't like they made it so much more grind-y to get what I could for less than 5 minutes per day.

What can you possibly do in 5 minutes that actually makes getting the old login rewards worth anything?

There's so many minidungeons in the game. What makes the Spirit Vestibule so special that it shows once per week in dailies, and Long Way Around that it had to repeat when most of other core minidungeons have not got their place in the spotlight yet?

I'd really want to see the design intentions behind picking some of the dailies over the other options available.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2