If you are going to have a multi-week event, dont remove the previous weeks content. [Merged]

TeeBeeNZ.1963

I received the in game mail, but had/have no on-screen notification.   I will say that unless you remember weekly, it may slip your mind.  Not sure why they don't have it in the upper right like everything else.  Definitely did not have it before completing week one or two, or after though.   So it's kind of up to the players to remember.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Nah, pretty sure you received the information about it through the ingame mail. You just didn't read it.

The one that doesn't mention it being a limited time event and the absence of it on the UI where limited events always go? Yeah I saw it. Figured it was permanent content added with SoTo. 

Edit: Unsure why I'm getting the reactions like that. The studio themselves say the bonus events always go on the UI. It's listed in achieves as a bonus event and it's not on my UI. So what exactly is your issue with me taking an issue with it? Curious. Only slightly though.

Edited by thorrand.6548
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I think there is notification on top right but only one line. That part of UI is too busy anyway. I wish we would have more customisation options for that.

Not even one line, and mine isn't busy when I'm standing in lions arch fully explored and all it tells me is to go to another zone. Not currently tracking any achieves or dailies. It's just not there. Fractal rush was though. 

• Confused 1

I just missed the Bonus Event of Black Lion Skritt theft. Not becasue I didnt have the time but because ti was poorly advertised on the game. Only thing that shoed for week 2 was the PVp/WVW boss rush. Then when I looked cloosed I missed the window for week 2 bu just a hour. Not because of server time change but because they changed it earlier. This seems very unfriendly to people with fixed time scheduals. To close down weeks 1 and 2 cause they moved on seems off and not to mention to switch the timing not during a server time change but some random time that wasnt even advertised on the Bonus Event window. How many people missed this by just not knowing it was going on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:31 AM, TeeBeeNZ.1963 said:

As all to many are finding out, last weeks Skritt for the Stolen Goods event have been removed.  There was no need to remove them... its literally extra work to remove the content.

It's a shame.

It would be great if they allowed players to complete the other steps throught the 3 whole weeks or at the very least, it would be cool if it was specified somewhere in the information that the content will disappear and become impossible to complete once the time gate expires. I've seen soooooo many people on the locations of week 1 and 2, looking for what the removed npcs. Too bad I have responsabilities and can't be playing this 365,  24/7.  No point really on doing just week 3, the rewards are nothing exceptional. 

Well as someone else said here, nothing to do but move on and wait for the next fun thing.

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Crimson Tear.2459 said:

It's a shame.

It would be great if they allowed players to complete the other steps throught the 3 whole weeks or at the very least, it would be cool if it was specified somewhere in the information that the content will disappear and become impossible to complete once the time gate expires. I've seen soooooo many people on the locations of week 1 and 2, looking for what the removed npcs. Too bad I have responsabilities and can't be playing this 365,  24/7.  No point really on doing just week 3, the rewards are nothing exceptional. 

Well as someone else said here, nothing to do but move on and wait for the next fun thing.

if you cant play 10-15 min each week to get to 1-4 npcs then maybe you just dont get the rewards for said events.

The high points npcs have even had commanders sat at them so anyone could use a teleport to friend item.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of things in this game are timegated and events are no different. It's not like it doesn't happen IRL as well.

When you logged in on Week 1, you received an e-mail telling you about the event, and the achievements associated were visible so people knew that there would also be Week 2 and 3. Timegated events are part of many game's strategy to bring players to the game while they give something fresh for them to do.

If they could be done at any time, why would you log in on week 1 and 2 if you could do it all at once on week 3? It just misses the point of "If you come to play and do X or Y this week you get shinnies". You still get some rewards for doing them late, just like on every other event that is timegated. You won't be able to get everything you missed but there is still something for you if you decide to play it now.

Yes, people work and have lives outside Tyria. But this is a game, they can't base everything on this sort of personal issue. Should they also delay halloween because people were decorating their houses and couldn't be here for the event? Or extend wintersday because some players will be with their families at this time of the year?

Not to mention that I honestly don't know a single player who logs in and doesn't check the Hero panel every day at least once.

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

if you cant play 10-15 min each week to get to 1-4 npcs then maybe you just dont get the rewards for said events.

The high points npcs have even had commanders sat at them so anyone could use a teleport to friend item.

For me, I had a lot going on that week. I was able to log in, but didn't realise about the event, let alone the timegate of it. Had I known I would've focused on getting those smashed out

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, leila.7962 said:

I honestly don't know a single player who logs in and doesn't check the Hero panel every day at least once.

I don't unless I'm tracking down specific achieves or working on a collection. I'm assuming you mean the achievement tab of the hero panel and not the gear/build section. Why would I open it daily?

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Really the only problems are: It did not get a permanent reminder at the top right in the UI. (Which is good. This already can get too cluttered if you have multiple things going on at the same time. And the skritts are done quickly and the reminder would stay all the time. The one in the color that the seasonal festivals have. And the stuff like the rush events.)

Then: No mail for the following weeks.

But when I know about such stuff I put it on my todo-list and set myself an own remindre to check in the following week. Even with changes here ... some people might be able to miss it cause of things that happen that make it impossible to play during the 3 weeks. (When you are in hospital for example.) If you do not have much other stuff to track ... this could be as easy as adding the following week (once you are done with the current one) to the achievement watch list. (With a lot of stuff there - more than 6 - this might not be visible directly in the top right since it starts as 0 percent. Overall achievemen that tracks the 6 steps will get higher percentages thoug - after finishing the first week.)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, leila.7962 said:

Lots of things in this game are timegated and events are no different. It's not like it doesn't happen IRL as well.

When you logged in on Week 1, you received an e-mail telling you about the event, and the achievements associated were visible so people knew that there would also be Week 2 and 3. Timegated events are part of many game's strategy to bring players to the game while they give something fresh for them to do.

If they could be done at any time, why would you log in on week 1 and 2 if you could do it all at once on week 3? It just misses the point of "If you come to play and do X or Y this week you get shinnies". You still get some rewards for doing them late, just like on every other event that is timegated. You won't be able to get everything you missed but there is still something for you if you decide to play it now.

Yes, people work and have lives outside Tyria. But this is a game, they can't base everything on this sort of personal issue. Should they also delay halloween because people were decorating their houses and couldn't be here for the event? Or extend wintersday because some players will be with their families at this time of the year?

Not to mention that I honestly don't know a single player who logs in and doesn't check the Hero panel every day at least once.

I missed it even though I was playing weekly. Some guild officer went crazy and deleted all the channels of the guild discord, I had to restore the channels, prep for raid trainings, etc, too many things going on at the time and the mail was the last thing on my priority list. I went back to read the older mail and all I saw was fractals rush, the other passed my eye because it didn't have the 'unread' status.

The only reason why I am hearing about it again is because of Mukluk's channel, but its week 3, so no bag for me. I feel that multi week events should allow someone to do some 'catching up'. See for multi week events like halloween, sure there's a limit on how much you can do, but there is a significant amount of time investment to do catch up play. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, xellink.7568 said:

I missed it even though I was playing weekly. Some guild officer went crazy and deleted all the channels of the guild discord, I had to restore the channels, prep for raid trainings, etc, too many things going on at the time and the mail was the last thing on my priority list. I went back to read the older mail and all I saw was fractals rush, the other passed my eye because it didn't have the 'unread' status.

The only reason why I am hearing about it again is because of Mukluk's channel, but its week 3, so no bag for me. I feel that multi week events should allow someone to do some 'catching up'. See for multi week events like halloween, sure there's a limit on how much you can do, but there is a significant amount of time investment to do catch up play. 

Next time make use of the achievement watchlist and you'll have your personal reminder.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Linken.6345 said:

On 9/26/2023 at 11:31 PM, vares.8457 said:

Sorry but that is a you problem. We had events like this before so everyone should know how they work. 

Hold on guys, don't get all crazy, i know a bunch of you get easily triggered when someone comments something negative on the game but this isn't the case, just because I ain't fangirling over the event or the game itself doesn't mean I didn't liked it, on the contrary, my complaint is because I liked the idea and feel sad that I couldn't fully play because I did not understand how it worked, and that the content would be removed, just for lack of clearer instructions. The rewards are not the problem, they're kinda worthless tbh, it's the fact that some missed the event because neither they knew how it worked, and that's what makes this sad. Some of us simply planned to do it all on one go because some of us have real lives and some people might rather spend 10- 15 min doing something else, and play at a planned time.

Also saying that "everyone should know how they work" is assuming we're all the same, try to understand that not all of us live inside Tyria so not everyone knew.

23 hours ago, leila.7962 said:

Assuming you do know the 18 million people playing this game it still is not a good enough excuse since the achievement didn't say anyhting about content being removed, but anyway I am one of those who never check the panel unless there's something specific I want to track so now you know one. It's funny tho how you compare a seasonal event where you can access all of the content available for the event from begining to end, with this where each week content gets removed and you cannot access it anymore. Again the problem is simply that many people had no idea how it worked. I'm telling you, there were lots of people lost in discord, facebook groups, and even on maps asking for directions trying to figure out why the skirtt wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Even more, on week one people were asking everywhere if the skritts for week 2 and 3 were already available. It doesn't seem to me that the instructions were clear enought for many. 

9 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Literally an in game mail to every single one of my characters... How does anyone that logs in miss this ??? Live and learn people. Nothing wrong with implementation here.

Literally the in game mail had zero instructions, they didn't mention at all the content would be unavailable after each week, it was merely part of the narrative for the story they gave to the event.

It simply was bad implementation, even in the freaking wiki, it doesn't say anything about each previous week npcs being inaccessible, if the intention was to motivate people to play, during those weeks, it would be more effective to give clear instructions and let them know beforehand that the content will only be available during each week and then removed, don't you think?

Anyways thanks for your replays. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Crimson Tear.2459 said:

Hold on guys, don't get all crazy, i know a bunch of you get easily triggered when someone comments something negative on the game but this isn't the case, just because I ain't fangirling over the event or the game itself doesn't mean I didn't liked it, on the contrary, my complaint is because I liked the idea and feel sad that I couldn't fully play because I did not understand how it worked, and that the content would be removed, just for lack of clearer instructions. The rewards are not the problem, they're kinda worthless tbh, it's the fact that some missed the event because neither they knew how it worked, and that's what makes this sad. Some of us simply planned to do it all on one go because some of us have real lives and some people might rather spend 10- 15 min doing something else, and play at a planned time.

Also saying that "everyone should know how they work" is assuming we're all the same, try to understand that not all of us live inside Tyria so not everyone knew.

Assuming you do know the 18 million people playing this game it still is not a good enough excuse since the achievement didn't say anyhting about content being removed, but anyway I am one of those who never check the panel unless there's something specific I want to track so now you know one. It's funny tho how you compare a seasonal event where you can access all of the content available for the event from begining to end, with this where each week content gets removed and you cannot access it anymore. Again the problem is simply that many people had no idea how it worked. I'm telling you, there were lots of people lost in discord, facebook groups, and even on maps asking for directions trying to figure out why the skirtt wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Even more, on week one people were asking everywhere if the skritts for week 2 and 3 were already available. It doesn't seem to me that the instructions were clear enought for many. 

Literally the in game mail had zero instructions, they didn't mention at all the content would be unavailable after each week, it was merely part of the narrative for the story they gave to the event.

It simply was bad implementation, even in the freaking wiki, it doesn't say anything about each previous week npcs being inaccessible, if the intention was to motivate people to play, during those weeks, it would be more effective to give clear instructions and let them know beforehand that the content will only be available during each week and then removed, don't you think?

Anyways thanks for your replays. 

You know there is something called mapchat were you can type out a question like for example.

Guys how do this black lion stolen goods event work do I have to complete it week for week or can I do it all in one go?

Best to do in city hubs were people gather.

Edit

I mean the week 1,2,3,4 was kind of a give away otherwise they wouldent  type it out if it was not important.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Crimson Tear.2459 said:

Assuming you do know the 18 million people playing this game it still is not a good enough excuse since the achievement didn't say anyhting about content being removed, but anyway I am one of those who never check the panel unless there's something specific I want to track so now you know one.

I do know a fairly good amount of players but not any close to 18 million for sure but you took the part I wrote out of the context, which was the fact that there were more ways to know that the event was going on, such as the e-mail when you logged in on week 1, the bonus event tab on the hero panel and the achievements associated with it that were visible since day 1, showing that there would be still week 2 and 3. Not to mention the OP's problem was that HE forgot to do the event and hes blamming Anet for not remembering him to do something that they did tell him about it through the in-game mail how to start and what to look for.

It's funny tho how you compare a seasonal event where you can access all of the content available for the event from begining to end, with this where each week content gets removed and you cannot access it anymore.

I compare it to the festivals because is just like them.. If you miss a single day of festival dailies, you can't get the max rewards of it, like the Mad King's Gift on Halloween, or the Extravagant Wintersday Gift. Just like the current bonus event, if you miss it you won't get everything you could but there is still some stuff you can get. Once the events are over, I can only obtain those in the next year when it happens again. But you don't see people coming to the forums to  blame Anet for losing the rewards because they forgot to do their festival dailies.

I'm telling you, there were lots of people lost in discord, facebook groups, and even on maps asking for directions trying to figure out why the skirtt wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Even more, on week one people were asking everywhere if the skritts for week 2 and 3 were already available. It doesn't seem to me that the instructions were clear enought for many. 

The e-mail that everyone got pointed you where to start and it ends with the following line: "Stop by if you have any questions." If people spoke to the NPC that the e-mail points you to, the following dialogue comes up:

"Hello, Commander,. A gang of skritt broke into the vaults and stole supplies from us. Mr. Gnashblade would like to ask you to collect them."

Then it follows up with two options:

1) I need more information. (It explains more about what is going on)

2) Where did they go. (It points you to where the skritts were in the current week)

The information that people needed is in-game. All people had to do was to read the e-mail and go to the NPC to know more about it. It's funny how people here behave like they needed a carrier pidgeon to deliver information about the event.. it's like there is no wiki, no forum, no reddit, no nothing to find more information about things they didn't understand through the game.

Edited by leila.7962
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1. I do think more could be done to advertise the event to a wider audience. I don't mean making them aware that something was going on (basically some new non-time-limited perm content, like most system mails do "yo someone or other wanna talk to you") but to emphasize that a time-limited content was up from X to Y.

2. I am glad I didn't miss any week. I did mention it during frac rush week and in lion arch from time to time because I felt that there would be ppl who didn't realise it was time limited, and there were

3. I did have some trouble finding the correct NPC, then I gave heartfelt thanks (in my heart) to our wonderful wiki contributors

4. I still don't think there's much, if any, grounds for blaming anet if the individual missed this event

5. I do think anet could consider adding 1 bonus week (with reused locations if needed, and reduced/no 4th week rewards if needed) to help players hit the 3 week milestone, purely out of goodwill and not obligation

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/28/2023 at 3:41 AM, Linken.6345 said:

I mean the week 1,2,3,4 was kind of a give away otherwise they wouldent  type it out if it was not important.

In other mmo's it's because they timegate the event and release more as it goes on, not because the weeks previous were unobtainable. If the excuse for that is 'Then why wouldn't people wait until the last week and grind it out?' I'd have to ask exactly why that's an issue in a game with no sub fees except fomo... 

• Confused 3