The guild system needs to be more meaningful

Riba.3271

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It's a video gaming guild, not a social media group for self-actualization, therapy session or some other such rot. You're speaking in broad generalizations, assuming your experiences are representative of all players, and there's lots more to unpack but frankly I can't be bothered with all that nonsense.

Let people play the game the way they want to, not the way you want them to.

That is where things gets contradictory, the majority of guilds in this game provide very little, if any at all, elements of gameplay.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Incorrect

All Guilds I am member of, is for different reasons.

And all the variety that these guilds combined do, is something that NOT A SINGLE Guild out there can offer me as a whole.

If you think there is... then point to me to a guild that:
- I can run WvW with
- I can make griffon and beetle tracks with and race them with
- I can use guild bank to savely store stuff from all my 4 accounts
- I can be (co) owner of
- That are friends I known for over 15 years.
- That do raid training with me

1 guild that meets all the above

Now excuse me, gonna hit Submit Reply and then laugh so hard it's gonna hurt a little.

Incorrect.  Alliances like in gw1 could perfectly  be used for that purpose.

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes. I acknowledged that. I also pointed out how that still does not change the general meaning of what i was trying to convey.

It changes it alot actualy since the claim that some can do raid bosses by themself alone is not the same as being 3-5 people.

Your first post even said many of them and then boiled it down to 3 encounters.

Now when I think about it I do remember seeing a druid solo cairn so I was wrong about it only being sloth aswell.

Not sure alot of people would like to spend 2-3 hours killing something that take a decent squad 10-20mins with some fails.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

It changes it alot actualy since the claim that some can do raid bosses by themself alone is not the same as being 3-5 people.

It seems the point i was trying to make went way over your head then.

Hint: it was about difficulty not being the same for everyone, and some people being able to do it not meaning this is an expected situation.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It seems the point i was trying to make went way over your head then.

Hint: it was about difficulty not being the same for everyone, and some people being able to do it not meaning this is an expected situation.

I understood the point you were trying to make but overexagerating or out right lying with the example to drive that point home is not ideal tho.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

I understood the point you were trying to make but overexagerating or out right lying with the example to drive that point home is not ideal tho.

Exaggerations or no, their point still served its purpose… validating the issue I pointed out that the guy they responded to felt the need to try and invalidate with their own anecdotal experience. I run a small guild, we have 8 total members and at most there are only ever 3 of us online at once… often time I find myself as the only one online even. Most guild missions are not possible for us. With the old system we made slow progress advancing the guild but we at-least made regular progress… now we’ve barely accomplished anything.

I’ve seen claims that the change to how guilds worked back then was to help small guilds, but from what I have seen it hasn’t helped us… it has only hurt us… the change benefitted only big guilds with the member count to complete guild missions rapidly and in mass.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Confused 2

On 10/3/2023 at 10:35 PM, Riba.3271 said:

I am glad that you found useful guilds that provide you activities. Nothing here seems however something you're very invested in however and I guess this disconnect comes from how your attention is separated in different groups and rather than building 1 central hub where all kind of activity is welcome. What is that the guild allows you to express yourself in? Do they provide you, a regular member, players or resources for something that they also care about? Did they give you a role and reach out to get to know you personally? Because this is all what guilds used to do, each new member was special. Anyways  I never suggested "useful guilds" should be removed, just that representing should be reserved for what you have emotional investment in. I just feel like there should be space for something greater and more full time, like guilds in the past.

Well, sharing home instance resources isn't exactly what I had in mind as meaningful activity or connections. What you're describing is more of a symbiotic relationship to fill each others ingame greed. Anyways, getting mats or gold donated isn't something I have experienced trouble with either, it was more about fellow guild mates distributing so much of their time to elsewhere that they felt like strangers. Getting help is easy too, you can even get that from strangers in this game. Issue is, it is mostly mute gaming.

But you know, I guess it is just that you're new generation GW2 player, and don't have experience with games that have solo guilds, so you don't understand what true keeping boat afloat is. True connection comes from sticking around the hard times and evolving as a group rather than just hopping to play with another guild in the list. Having 1 general guild you put lot of effort in, also gave any regular member the tools to arrange any content for rest of the guild. But as guilds became more and more specialized and centralized, this right is lost cause. You already listed all your guilds "and what they are for". Surely you see allure of a guild that allows you to arrange anything without the restriction of "what they are for".

Well yes, recruit messages do exist but there really isn't very many like in the past. But it is natural that guilds put about as effort in new members, as the new members put in the their 5th guild. Recruiting isn't about connections anymore, just finding new firebrand. Hardcore PvX guilds that existed in the past, were the symbol of coexistance and how people with different interests could come together and find their preferred activity from same space.

This day and age, the more specialized and content focused your guild is, the better the results from recruiting are. But in the past, guilds tried to be accommodating to all kind of activities. So you got to experience more and joining a guild was an adventure with multiple people with various interests on top, not a gate to join certain content. The mixture of those people created a concoction you cannot find elsewhere. It wasn't just WvW commander or Raid leader + couple of funny guys, but lot of important guys.

rofl - My existing guild connections may not meet your standards but they meet mine just fine. And right there I think is the crux of why I disagree with you. Teknomancer highlighted that core disagreement nicely.

9 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It's a video gaming guild, not a social media group for self-actualization, therapy session or some other such rot. You're speaking in broad generalizations, assuming your experiences are representative of all players, and there's lots more to unpack but frankly I can't be bothered with all that nonsense.

Let people play the game the way they want to, not the way you want them to.

The end.

Let me repeat a key sentence of his, "Let people play the game the way they want to, not the way you want them to."

It feels to me like the OP has a certain idea of what a guild should be and they want Anet to change the game to lock us all into that idea. Me? I like Anet's current sandbox approach - Here's a guild, make of it what you will. Want a casual, social guild? You can make one. Want a heavy duty WvW fighting guild? Build one. Want a guild that serves as the core hub for a variety of game modes, along with facilitating deep interpersonal relations between the members? What's stopping you from creating one? My own preference is for everyone to build, or find, the kind of guild they want, rather than trying to force everyone into one person's idea of what the "ideal" guild should be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Exaggerations or no, their point still served its purpose… validating the issue I pointed out that the guy they responded to felt the need to try and invalidate with their own anecdotal experience. I run a small guild, we have 8 total members and at most there are only ever 3 of us online at once… often time I find myself as the only one online even. Most guild missions are not possible for us. With the old system we made slow progress advancing the guild but we at-least made regular progress… now we’ve barely accomplished anything.

I’ve seen claims that the change to how guilds worked back then was to help small guilds, but from what I have seen it hasn’t helped us… it has only hurt us… the change benefitted only big guilds with the member count to complete guild missions rapidly and in mass.

I think that this was by design.  I said so back when the guild changes were made.  It was a change that damaged the small guild community.  Anet didn't want a bunch of small guilds; rather, they only wanted large ones so the changes were made with that in mind.  No other explanation really makes sense to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I think that this was by design.  I said so back when the guild changes were made.  It was a change that damaged the small guild community.  Anet didn't want a bunch of small guilds; rather, they only wanted large ones so the changes were made with that in mind.  No other explanation really makes sense to me.

Even Arena Net with the announcement of the changes said it was to help smaller guilds grow… so if it was intentional to kill off small guilds, then their PR department either was told differently or was deliberately misleading… either way… I still hate those changes…

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Panda.1967 said:

Even Arena Net with the announcement of the changes said it was to help smaller guilds grow… so if it was intentional to kill off small guilds, then their PR department either was told differently or was deliberately misleading… either way… I still hate those changes…

Yeah, it's as if they didn't consider that some players enjoy smaller guilds.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/4/2023 at 3:43 AM, Riba.3271 said:

It is more about joining a guild where all people are all-in together. It is great that GW2 doesn't enforce grind regarding gear and levels, but they could at least keep people invested. After all MMORPGs are about communities and guilds are at center of it all.

Also to be clear, my suggestion entails that you can still choose to join a guild or not rep the main guild, you just cannot swap the choice to another guild that easily. You must admit that guilds or clans in other games of the genre, do hold more value to their members. And that value of new members has dropped drastically to guilds since there are very few public recruit messages anymore.

So in short you fail to encompass all interests by your guild members, and they have to side gig to do something out your primary circle. Sounds like poor leadership to me. 

Its better for most guilds to specialize in certain areas, unless you some how manage to retain multi hundred head counts. Then you can divide up specialty to each guild, and share resources across it to upgrade guildhalls.

If you do more, people will participate more, and you have some grounds for demand they at least rep during activities, to direct resources to the guild. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I can't find that quote anymore, but basically someone then got asked about what was considered to be a small guild, and the response was "somewhere around 50 players". I don't think they even realized then that ~50 members is not what players had in mind when talking about small guilds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I can't find that quote anymore, but basically someone then got asked about what was considered to be a small guild, and the response was "somewhere around 50 players". I don't think they even realized then that ~50 members is not what players had in mind when talking about small guilds.

If that quote is real, then that absolutely explains how we ended up with the “this is to help small guilds” claim of the updates vrs the reality of the update effectively killing small guilds…

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

It would be nice if they added more alternatives to Guild Missions, I mean how many times can you do the races or puzzles or challenges or Treks or Bounties.   I mean it would be cool if they added additional Guild PvE Missions.  I am currently almost sitting on 2k of guild commendations.

Right now the guild I am in does Guild Missions every Thursday / Guild Strike Missions every Friday / Guild WvW Groups every Tuesday or Wednesdays.

We were doing Guild Raid night and Guild Map Clearing / HP Trains but those slowly started to die as people geared out or IRL conflicts. 
 It would be cool to see Guild Missions specific content, for a game that is called Guild Wars 2

• Like 1

I've often wondered about why guild wars set up their guild structure the way they did. It was really odd for me coming from games with one guild per character but able to join other guilds with alts. Like having the raid geared character in a raid orientated guild and the PvP geared one in a PvP guild. 

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Gotta go with the schoolyard clique.  Just look at all of the bickering.

Nah… they are more like the breakfast club… not really a true clique because they didn’t really have anything in common…

Logan is the Jock who keeps pining after the Prom Queen who has him perpetually friend zoned… and he keeps pulling stupid stunts to try and get her attention that keep landing him in detention…

Rytlock is the punk everyone thinks is a delinquent or bully but he’s really just a misunderstood softy…

Eir was one who’s always in detention for disrupting class and coming and going whenever she wants.

Caithe is the goth girl who got caught with a knife on campus.

Zojja is the Sience fair champion whose experiments blew up part of the Gym… the Science Lab… part of the cafeteria… and a hall bathroom…

See… a bunch if misfits who just ended up in the same place at the same time…

as for Dragons Watch… honestly more kf the same…

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/3/2023 at 11:22 PM, Riba.3271 said:

It is possible for 1 main guild to have players that do not participate in all content they're interested in. Yes, guilds would be more diverse and there would be necessity for fewer of them but that isn't necesarily bad thing as you would play with same players more often.

It literally says I play WvW at my signature? Isn't that where you got that information 🤭

Your signature isn't visible on mobile.