Just delete the turtle mount & the Jade Bot from the game

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

It doesn't matter how long the period lasted and you can repeat "but but GW2 is medieval fantasy" all you want when from the get go Anet has been throwing together different genres, not only medieval fantasy, because we'd be stuck wearing knight armor and hitting eachother with swords screaming "my god is better than yours".

You could also look at the society aspect of the game, which yet again perfectly shows that Anet threw in elements from multiple genres and eras, because certain elements of the game would be punished by mutilation in medieval times.

You also forgot the whole idea that the only part of the game that can be considered to be a medieval fantasy is the human race, the Asura are scifi, the Charr are steampunk, Sylvari are pure fantasy and Norn are Nordic folklore-ish.
The first 2-3 years of the game has been pretty much steampunk inspired, outside of the specific race areas.. you know, Steam enemies, giant robots made up of watchwork mechanisms, helicopters and whatnot. 

If you want a proper medieval fantasy Guild Wars then that started in 2005, you can call GW1 medieval fantasy, well maybe not EoTN.

As you said:

You can keep repeating that GW2 is a medieval fantasy, but.. the issue is that saying that the middle ages lasted this or that long while ignoring elements from other genres won't make it a stronger argument. I could say Cyberpunk 2077 is a Western themed game "because there's revolvers and double barreled shotguns" while ignoring everything else, yet the game wouldn't be a western themed game. The same way you focusing only on the elements that fit medieval fantasy, while ignoring every other elements from different genres won't make the game a medieval fantasy.

Nice, so for like the fifth or sixth time, medieval fantasy isn't a simulation of the middle ages. It's medieval themes and aesthetics with fantastical elements. I'm not sure how many more times I can repeat that before you'll understand it.

• Confused 6

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'd be interested to read the statement(s) where ArenaNet declared Guild War2 to be a medieval fantasy-based-only game.  I can't remember ever reading anything of the sort.  🤷‍♂️

I'd like to see one where they say it isn't. Just because the devs haven't labeled it as such doesn't determine whether it actually is.

It has definitely been labeled as such by many other sources, such as IMDB which describes the game thus: "Warriors of various races and agendas in a medieval high fantasy world must unite to reform the guild that once fought and defeated a monstrous dragon-like creatures that threatened the world and are now reemerging."

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Well yeah. In a game world where there are literally millions of elements, that's only a handful of elements.

There was science in the medieval world. Science is medieval. Roger Bacon created the scientific method. Even when we look at the Asura, their metaphysical ideas are centered around a principle they call the Great Alchemy. Alchemy. Even their technology itself has a medieval theme and is an explicit nod to medieval scientific ideas.

250 years before 1200AD, what was the world like? The middle ages was a thousand years long.

I'll have any expectations I want of literature and games. I'm the consumer. I'll influence them in whatever way I can and whatever way I want.

You don't actually have an argument left here, you literally just return to your initial argument which has already been addressed exhaustively. Fantastical elements in a medievalesque world don't make it not medieval fantasy, but exactly the opposite: those fantastical elements are what distinguishes it as medieval fantasy. You can keep repeating the same argument again and again but my refutation will remain exactly the same.

The middle ages were a thousand years long, but the renaisance and the dark ages were night and day.  And we dont' know how long before Guild Wars 2 the state of technology was like it was, but presumably it was a long time, since we've been to places like the Tomb of Primevil Kings and we've seen tech in places like the First City. Honestly, this is all just excuses. 

In a game with tanks and cars and two of the five races having technology (which is not a handful of elements. The races in question are based in part on their tech), you have nothing to stand on, except your own preconceptions of what fantasy should be.  But this game has never been medieval fantasy and no reasonable person would claim it is. Not with helicopters.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The middle ages were a thousand years long, but the renaisance and the dark ages were night and day.  And we dont' know how long before Guild Wars 2 the state of technology was like it was, but presumably it was a long time, since we've been to places like the Tomb of Primevil Kings and we've seen tech in places like the First City. Honestly, this is all just excuses. 

In a game with tanks and cars and two of the five races having technology (which is not a handful of elements. The races in question are based in part on their tech), you have nothing to stand on, except your own preconceptions of what fantasy should be.  But this game has never been medieval fantasy and no reasonable person would claim it is. Not with helicopters.

Dont forget the submarines.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Well yeah. In a game world where there are literally millions of elements, that's only a handful of elements.

There was science in the medieval world. Science is medieval. Roger Bacon created the scientific method. Even when we look at the Asura, their metaphysical ideas are centered around a principle they call the Great Alchemy. Alchemy. Even their technology itself has a medieval theme and is an explicit nod to medieval scientific ideas.

250 years before 1200AD, what was the world like? The middle ages was a thousand years long.

I'll have any expectations I want of literature and games. I'm the consumer. I'll influence them in whatever way I can and whatever way I want.

You don't actually have an argument left here, you literally just return to your initial argument which has already been addressed exhaustively. Fantastical elements in a medievalesque world don't make it not medieval fantasy, but exactly the opposite: those fantastical elements are what distinguishes it as medieval fantasy. You can keep repeating the same argument again and again but my refutation will remain exactly the same.

You know, I was thinking about this. What you're actually saying is, it's okay if a Vegetarian restaurant servers meat dishes as long as it's not many.  In a medieval fantasy, it's ALL medieval fantasy. If you take a hard scifi book and add a fantasy element, even just one, it's no longer hard scifi. 

You've also said you get to decide what the genre is, but it's not true. If I decided Fatal Attraction was a comedy I'd be flat out wrong. I can call it that, but it wouldn't fit the definition.

If everything is medieval fantasy, than it's a medieval fantasy. If it's got elements from other subgenres or other genres, it's cross-genre. You'd never call it a medieval fantasy, because it has other elements. 

13 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Nice, so for like the fifth or sixth time, medieval fantasy isn't a simulation of the middle ages. It's medieval themes and aesthetics with fantastical elements. I'm not sure how many more times I can repeat that before you'll understand it.

Alright, so... robots made up of steel and watchwork components, powered by Steam coming through STEAM PORTALS being built by a person wielding a repeating rifle who built a giant robot made up of same steel and watch stuff dangling on CHAINS that you can fight as an Engineer with grenades, bombs and other scrap and explosive devices while having access to a rifle or weapon playing as a Race that lives in a giant city made up of steel and whatnot with a giant smelter in the middle building TANKS AND HELICOPTERS is medieval fantasy?

Who am I kidding, everything is medieval fantasy to you. There are buildings in Cyberpunk, it's  gotta be a medieval fantasy. They fight with fancy swords in Star Wars, it's medieval fantasy as well, right?

Is it that hard understanding that Anet throws in multiple genres into the game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Alright, so... robots made up of steel and watchwork components, powered by Steam coming through STEAM PORTALS being built by a person wielding a repeating rifle who built a giant robot made up of same steel and watch stuff dangling on CHAINS that you can fight as an Engineer with grenades, bombs and other scrap and explosive devices while having access to a rifle or weapon playing as a Race that lives in a giant city made up of steel and whatnot with a giant smelter in the middle building TANKS AND HELICOPTERS is medieval fantasy?

Who am I kidding, everything is medieval fantasy to you. There are buildings in Cyberpunk, it's  gotta be a medieval fantasy. They fight with fancy swords in Star Wars, it's medieval fantasy as well, right?

Is it that hard understanding that Anet throws in multiple genres into the game.

Again, blatant false equivalency. You use hyperbole to mischaracterise my argument because you can only argue against an exaggerated version of it.

Yes, there are multiple genres in Guild Wars 2, I'm not sure why this keeps getting repeated as if it changes the plain fact that it's a medieval fantasy world and game. It has literally all of the qualifications of the medieval fantasy genre. Every single one. You absolutely can not say this about any other genre that influences this game. It has elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls, griffons, forest bandits, corsairs, noblemen, huntsmen, vikings, ogres, rat men, centaurs, dragons, harpies, demons, golems, virtually every single enemy type belongs to the medieval fantasy genre. The weapon types are literally all medieval, every single one. The world is late/post-medieval themed with high fantasy elements added on top such as steampunk and arguably sci-fi (I would dispute that due to the definition of science fiction.) It's literally a story about adventurers slaying dragons to save the kingdom. You know very well that if I were to make a complete list of the qualities of medieval fantasy found in this game, and you were to make a competing list of qualities of other genres found in this game, my list would be ten times as long.

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Confused 5

Maybe lets move on. I think the majority of people can agree this isn't medieval fantasy, it just uses some bits of it in a couple of humancentric places for ambience. If someone wants to call it that, it's on them even if it doesn't fit the wider game world

I don't think the discussion will settle on agreement here and doesn't really have anything to do with a thread the op abandoned a long time ago

• Like 2

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

Maybe lets move on. I think the majority of people can agree this isn't medieval fantasy, it just uses some bits of it in a couple of humancentric places for ambience. If someone wants to call it that, it's on them even if it doesn't fit the wider game world

I don't think the discussion will settle on agreement here and doesn't really have anything to do with a thread the op abandoned a long time ago

People can agree or disagree with whatever they want. Fortunately, popularity doesn't determine correctness. I'm the only one that has consistently demonstrated my arguments to be true.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

People can agree or disagree with whatever they want. Fortunately, popularity doesn't determine correctness. I'm the only one that has consistently demonstrated my arguments to be true.

I'm afraid you haven't at all. I've read all your points and they don't add up. I'm not going to spend any time picking it apart either because it wont achieve anything.

If you believe strongly it's medieval fantasy, that is your right. But, I am 100% in disagreement for all the stated reasons given so far which are much stronger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

your problem is trying to assert Medieval fantasy at the tip of the fantasy type tree for GW2, that is wrong.  What's closest is something along the lines of:

GW2 is  a type of Fantasy game (root Fantasy type definition) that is a blend of the follow sub types

- Fantasy/High Fantasy

- Fantasy/Historical Fantasy/ Medieval Fantasy

- and a mix of other sub genre. 

You can test this by taking a selection of key zones from the original game such as the cities and the final zones in Orr and categorise, at which point you can see Medieval fantasy is only a small factor, with high fantasy being arguable the most dominant.  The best description is however a blend including medieval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

'#Guild Wars 2 takes place in the high fantasy world of Tyria, 250 years after the players' defeat of the Great Destroyer in the Eye of the North expansion'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

The weapon types are literally all medieval, every single one

I may need to take another look at the Bayeux Tapestry. I dont remember seeing automatic repeating rifles, high cyclical RoF machine pistols, chainsaw swords, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You prob missed where Harold boards his magical airship as well then

Well, I was specifically responding to an interesting claim that every weapon type in gw2 is medieval. Factor in vehicle technology, robotics, social sciences, and so on and the medieval argument is rendered even more questionable.

Even the, "medieval themes," argument falls apart because every one of them predates the medieval period.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Well, I was specifically responding to an interesting claim that every weapon type in gw2 is medieval. Factor in vehicle technology, robotics, social sciences, and so on and the medieval argument is rendered even more questionable.

Even the, "medieval themes," argument falls apart because every one of them predates the medieval period.

I know,  I was joking too 😉

On 10/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Evil Darkness.3061 said:

Why even have the kitten thing in the game if its this kitten hard to get! This is the main selling point to get the expac and you all make it this hard? You all should give me  90% of my money back! The kitten mount is the main selling point of the game! And don't even get me started on the  Jade Bot!

Sounds like a skill issue

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

The ego on this man. 

Try to chill a bit or you unlock ultra ego. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2