Adding Heterochromia and Prosthetics to the character creation menu

3 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Instead, I would just start an interest thread, test the waters, see if there was enough interest and if there was take that interest straight to the devs themselves.

Isn't that what OP did though? I read through each one of your criticisms, which might be valid if I thought OP was trying to do anything beyond literally making an "interest thread" to "test the waters." To ask OP to be even more... muted? ... in their request would, in my opinion, be equivalent to demanding that they grovel and debase their own right to suggest anything that they -gasp- would personally like.

The worst part is, @ShadowKatt.6740, we're in the same ideological boat when it comes to DIE issues. I just don't think what OP did comes close to what you accuse them of having done. 

As for the addition of heterochromia options, I believe it should be quite low on the list of development priorities (for reasons a bunch of us have already mentioned), but I have no inherent problem with such an option being added.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Because where does it end?  If the devs do something for one group then another will want the devs' attention to their wants. And then another group.  And so on.

I'd rather the devs spend their time/resources on things like ... fixing bugs, for example.  Something that will be beneficial for the entire player base rather than a very small subset.

I don't think it's an either/or though. It's likely (I don't know) different people working on fixing the bugs than are designing new skins and such. And different color eyes will be usable by all players. Not just a small subset.

Something I found  bothersome when designing a disabled character (for a disabled friend) was that the prosthetics aren't always available. I would have liked them to be a permanent addition to the game store. I don't mind paying for the extra skins. But the option wasn't available at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I don't think it's an either/or though. It's likely (I don't know) different people working on fixing the bugs than are designing new skins and such. And different color eyes will be usable by all players. Not just a small subset.

Something I found  bothersome when designing a disabled character (for a disabled friend) was that the prosthetics aren't always available. I would have liked them to be a permanent addition to the game store. I don't mind paying for the extra skins. But the option wasn't available at the time.

Should Anet, then, also implement wheelchairs?  Both the manual and motorized ones?

It's not that I'm unsympathetic to those who have particular issues or disabilities; I just don't think it necessary for the studio to cater to every one of them. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Should Anet, then, also implement wheelchairs?  Both the manual and motorized ones?

It's not that I'm unsympathetic to those who have particular issues or disabilities; I just don't think it necessary for the studio to cater to every one of them. 

If they do they do. Some people will use them. Some won't. They eyes thing, I can see many players using. I have in other games. For the prosthetics, they already made them in game. I just don't think they should be time gated.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Isn't that what OP did though? I read through each one of your criticisms, which might be valid if I thought OP was trying to do anything beyond literally making an "interest thread" to "test the waters." To ask OP to be even more... muted? ... in their request would, in my opinion, be equivalent to demanding that they grovel and debase their own right to suggest anything that they -gasp- would personally like.

The worst part is, @ShadowKatt.6740, we're in the same ideological boat when it comes to DIE issues. I just don't think what OP did comes close to what you accuse them of having done. 

As for the addition of heterochromia options, I believe it should be quite low on the list of development priorities (for reasons a bunch of us have already mentioned), but I have no inherent problem with such an option being added.

Honestly, I mostly wanted heterochromia options because I want my Norn Guardian that attempts to be my IRL self to have the exact Heterochromia I have (brown left eye and blue right eye)

the prosthetics is mostly because there are a bunch of characters who have a Jade Arm or Jade Leg (Yao and April respectively) and it'd be very nice to have OUR characters be able to use something like that, but in a more pattern-replacement way, as what someone else said

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

If they do they do. Some people will use them. Some won't. They eyes thing, I can see many players using. I have in other games. For the prosthetics, they already made them in game. I just don't think they should be time gated.

FYI, Prime is giving away the pirate skins right now.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

FYI, Prime is giving away the pirate skins right now.

Thank you much. I grabbed them and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have any of those 3 skins. For the character I helped make, we started with the Mist Stranger Outfit (for the damaged right arm and proceeded to the Oni arm (from New Kaineng believe) and then finally to the Jade prosthetic once it showed up in the gem store. It was just during that whole process that I came to the conclusion that I think the prosthetic skins should be available for purchase all of the time. I'm not even saying they should be free, though I'm sympathetic to that argument. Just available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

It is possible to do the right thing in the wrong way with the best of intentions. I did my best to be measured in my criticisms but there were things to be criticized. You can phrase it as being more muted; I only wanted to explain that there was a more proper way to make the request. Obviously I'm not suggesting they should bow and scrape, but that's the far other side of that pendulum when we could aim just right down the middle. We don't need deference, but we also don't want manipulation either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Because where does it end?  If the devs do something for one group then another will want the devs' attention to their wants. And then another group.  And so on.

I'd rather the devs spend their time/resources on things like ... fixing bugs, for example.  Something that will be beneficial for the entire player base rather than a very small subset.

So then we...get even more customisation options. That's not a bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh yeah I'd definitely use customization settings like that. I think they need more faces, hair, eyes, bodies, etc anyway - they've only added a handful of each and unequally across the races, it seems. They'd probably sell a bunch of makeover kits in the process, too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tempest_Gaze_Helm_Skin

Closest thing you can get, I know OP doesn't want to have to pay, but it is available.  

You might achive a similar result with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Eye_Infusion_Box although very limited in colors. But does not reqire anything from the gem store.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevkev.5462 said:

Oh yeah I'd definitely use customization settings like that. I think they need more faces, hair, eyes, bodies, etc anyway - they've only added a handful of each and unequally across the races, it seems. They'd probably sell a bunch of makeover kits in the process, too.

Oh kitten, that's actually a good idea. I forgot about those.
The Total Makeover Kits already have options in them that aren't available in normal character creation, skin tones, hair styles, fur patters, literal twigs AND berries (for sylvari). I wonder how hard it would be to simply add that to the makeover kits.

• Like 2

This is a game, it’s not supposed to be a copy of our everyday lives - Rather quite the contrary!

Whenever I see someone flashing the “inclusive” card, I can’t help thinking: “Oh right, whats your plan for including the billions without access to a computer that can run this game? How about the hundred of millions that live without electricity?”

I’m a fat old dude. I don’t feel “excluded” because I have to play a good looking, athletic avatar - I am included because I CAN play the game. Sorry you have to struggle with the throes of not having a niche, carbon copy of yourself in a computer game.

#1worldinclusionweakargument

Edited by Halandir.3609
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

I'm always open to more character customization options in this and other games. It's fun to make a character look like you, or not at all like you.

But sadly, you weren't edgy enough in your request I think. Next time, try this: "hey guys, wouldn't it be so totally sick if we could have one red eye and one black eye (you know, edgy colours) for our characters? Like so sick bros." That might work better for getting your message accepted.

I hope your suggestions get implemented (let's get blind eye options in there too while we're at it).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

I'm always open to more character customization options in this and other games. It's fun to make a character look like you, or not at all like you.

But sadly, you weren't edgy enough in your request I think. Next time, try this: "hey guys, wouldn't it be so totally sick if we could have one red eye and one black eye (you know, edgy colours) for our characters? Like so sick bros." That might work better for getting your message accepted.

I hope your suggestions get implemented (let's get blind eye options in there too while we're at it).

I agree with this approach to things in video games and online forums. It might not make it a high priority suggestion, but wanting something is enough reason to have this. Desire is why games like Guild Wars 2 exist. We don't need it, but we want it.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, nondesu.3986 said:

how about they add my exact face because i’m so unique and special too

You mean you're NOT a Playstation 1-era frog? I am shook.

7 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

I mean, I actually only have one eye, so i'm on board. I mean, yes Guild Wars 2 has eyepatches already BUT THEY'RE ON THE WRONG EYE! I'M NOT BEING REPRESENTED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One Charr face has 2 different eyes colors and I remember there is such a thing with Asura too.

So it already exists as faces and would be no prob to add more like that.

That you can dye each eye individually on any face, that will probably not happen.

(Even the editor in Sims 4 doesn't have something like that and that's the most customizable editor I know)

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1